ALL PURPOSE NEW TALENT/SPECIAL ATTRACTION THREAD

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Chrisvegas27

Re: ALL PURPOSE NEW TALENT/SPECIAL ATTRACTION THREAD

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

Maybe we can get someone more qualified to be a operation manager
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

It really depends on wether or not he was good at what he did, if there are better people qualified out there that can come in then BJ going isn’t a major problem. Can someone give me a detailed run down of his role?

Also considering it was more a personal goodbye email that was forwarded on to those outside of ROH that really isn’t a surprise. That’s just people wanting to keep others onside, also considering the nature of the email. It would be different if it was more inside, booking etc really.
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

Some say he was a operation manager of everything including production and marking of the show stuff like that and other say he was more of a logistic operation manager which it says on his Facebook
AnHonorableMention

Post by AnHonorableMention »

Chrisvegas27 wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:40 pm Maybe we can get someone more qualified to be a operation manager
Replacing BJ will be difficult considering how many people have been a full time wrestler and transitioned into the role of coach, production person(timing shows, booking travel, coordinating and scheduling events(as well as auto signings) that are now part of WWE. ROH probably won't replace BJ with anyone aside from Judge GHB Jones.

BurningHammer wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:00 pm It really depends on wether or not he was good at what he did, if there are better people qualified out there that can come in then BJ going isn’t a major problem. Can someone give me a detailed run down of his role?

Also considering it was more a personal goodbye email that was forwarded on to those outside of ROH that really isn’t a surprise. That’s just people wanting to keep others onside, also considering the nature of the email. It would be different if it was more inside, booking etc really.

The notion that this e-mail got leaked by so many people is a testament to how liked and respected BJ is. I mentioned his duties in the above quote. It was not a goodbye e-mail, he detailed out his reasons for frustration and specifically who he was mad at. I won't pretend to say I was close with BJ anymore quite frankly neither of us have been as communicative as we used to be before Sinclair took over, and I had significant concern with his friendship with Judge GHB considering BJ's history and Jeff Jones reputation. I'll say this, because I will out of respect to those named not post the entire e-mail but there was a lot of legit anger building up and this management team does not handle people well when they don't bend over and meet their demands to a T. When I compared Koff to Trump, Hunter to Sarah Sanders, and Greg to Mike Pence it was a very accurate way to sermize the e-mail.
Captain Podcast
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

So basically the roh has the wwe type of environment now
AnHonorableMention

Chrisvegas27 wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:41 pm So basically the roh has the wwe type of environment now
Far worse, there is no trust in Koff & Delirious, no personable relationships with the talent. At least from what I know of WWE, Triple H and Stephanie are very approachable and engage in feedback from talent. They may not follow through with other suggestions but they're willing to listen be held accountable. Ignoring all of that, the aloofness of Joe Koff and stupidity of Hunter Johnston is bad for the future of ROH if business drops off Sinclair will pull the plug opposed to changing up the people in charge of the product. Delirious has been booker longer than Pearce and Gabe combined. That's both astounding and pathetic.
Captain Podcast
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

The problem is I don't see koff and delirious getting replaced
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:11 pmReplacing BJ will be difficult considering how many people have been a full time wrestler and transitioned into the role of coach, production person(timing shows, booking travel, coordinating and scheduling events(as well as auto signings) that are now part of WWE. ROH probably won't replace BJ with anyone aside from Judge GHB Jones.
Timing of shows has been an issue for some time especially on PPV, so maybe a change was needed. It sounds like they need someone with great organisational skills and just a good head on their shoulders, hopefully that wouldn’t be too hard to find. The coaching role could be filled by a number of people in the business, Jerry Lynn would be my first pick.
AnHonorableMention wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:11 pm The notion that this e-mail got leaked by so many people is a testament to how liked and respected BJ is. I mentioned his duties in the above quote. It was not a goodbye e-mail, he detailed out his reasons for frustration and specifically who he was mad at. I won't pretend to say I was close with BJ anymore quite frankly neither of us have been as communicative as we used to be before Sinclair took over, and I had significant concern with his friendship with Judge GHB considering BJ's history and Jeff Jones reputation. I'll say this, because I will out of respect to those named not post the entire e-mail but there was a lot of legit anger building up and this management team does not handle people well when they don't bend over and meet their demands to a T. When I compared Koff to Trump, Hunter to Sarah Sanders, and Greg to Mike Pence it was a very accurate way to sermize the e-mail.
The thing is what’s the point in leaking it, if the result is nothing, yeah the podcasts and sheets know but if they aren’t going to post the email discuss the total detail of the email it’s just nothing. All it’s doing is furthering someone’s agenda towards the company underneath the public gaze in the media, getting you guys onside.

It depends what to a T implies, if it’s abusive in anyway there is a massive issue, if it’s the fact that it isn’t a mom and pops store then I’m sorry, a huge commercial entity owns ROH now, and there will be a certain personality that’s comes along with having worked with people from a environment like it.

I would love to know what frustrations these guys have when they never have to miss a good to very good pay check, they have TV, PPV and multiple house show dates. I believe flights and accommodation are paid for, they see their families more times through out the year than most large companies, can work independently all through the world. I would love to know what guys from different times and promotions would say to these guys. It must be very deeply personal.

ROH only needs jobs for the boys in certain departments, too many times the boys get jobs in positions they just shouldn’t be, especially production. Also I struggle with Koff being likened to Trump he doesn’t seem clueless or haphazard in his comments and general dealings, he also doesn’t come across like a racist, xenophobic, bigot but I really don’t know the guy that well, he could be all those and more. I have had a few email conversations with him and spoke to him briefly at DBD and as a fan he has been good with me.
Last edited by BurningHammer on Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:03 pm
Chrisvegas27 wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:41 pm So basically the roh has the wwe type of environment now
Far worse, there is no trust in Koff & Delirious, no personable relationships with the talent. At least from what I know of WWE, Triple H and Stephanie are very approachable and engage in feedback from talent. They may not follow through with other suggestions but they're willing to listen be held accountable. Ignoring all of that, the aloofness of Joe Koff and stupidity of Hunter Johnston is bad for the future of ROH if business drops off Sinclair will pull the plug opposed to changing up the people in charge of the product. Delirious has been booker longer than Pearce and Gabe combined. That's both astounding and pathetic.
Just a caveat to that, Delirious has been booker under a lot of growth in ROH, both in attendance and in the financial aspect of the company. Both Gabe and Pearce had major drops in attendance any income to warrant being kept on.
LJimmy

Post by LJimmy »

Obviously there's been a story here regarding the behind the scenes of ROH for a long time. I don't think people dreaming of working for WWE is the sole reason for so many people quitting the past 4 years. So where's the scoop on all this from the pro wrestling media?
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

BurningHammer wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:20 pm
Just a caveat to that, Delirious has been booker under a lot of growth in ROH, both in attendance and in the financial aspect of the company. Both Gabe and Pearce had major drops in attendance any income to warrant being kept on.
Yes, but now the question becomes how much of the growth was due to Delirious and how much was due to Bullet Club catching fire. I greatly enjoyed a lot of Delirious' booking in both the 2010-2011 period and from 2013 up until All-Star Extravaganza VII, so my hope is that knowing that he won't be able to lazily rely on Bullet Club doing their shtick to draw, he'll start booking well again.
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

Well they have booked cobb good so far and the villain enterprise faction could be good it it also depends how much he listen to people they have brought in like producers and writers
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

BurningHammer wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:13 pm

I would love to know what frustrations these guys have when they never have to miss a good to very good pay check, they have TV, PPV and multiple house show dates. I believe flights and accommodation are paid for, they see their families more times through out the year than most large companies, can work independently all through the world. I would love to know what guys from different times and promotions would say to these guys. It must be very deeply personal.
I would assume said frustrations are creative ones. How many guys over the past few years have we heard of leaving ROH due to Creative issues? It played a part in the departures of Cedric, Lio Rush, Dijak, and ACH. Working a job that you find mind-numbing every day can take a definite toll on someone who gets into a business that is, essentially, an art form. You ask about how guys of ages past would feel, but I think that is one major difference between wrestlers of the past and wrestlers of the present. I think most people who get into wrestling nowadays (excluding some WWE recruits) get into it because they want to be professional wrestlers and love professional wrestling, not because they see it as an avenue to becoming famous, making millions of dollars, and getting laid. Today's wrestlers are less Billy Graham/Harley Race and more Eddie Gilbert.
BurningHammer wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:13 pm
ROH only needs jobs for the boys in certain departments, too many times the boys get jobs in positions they just shouldn’t be, especially production. Also I struggle with Koff being likened to Trump he doesn’t seem clueless or haphazard in his comments and general dealings, he also doesn’t come across like a racist, xenophobic, bigot but I really don’t know the guy that well, he could be all those and more. I have had a few email conversations with him and spoke to him briefly at DBD and as a fan he has been good with me.
I actually do find Koff to come across as a bit clueless, though I presume that is more due to him being not a particularly good speaker than actual business incompetence.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Big Red Machine wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:40 pmYes, but now the question becomes how much of the growth was due to Delirious and how much was due to Bullet Club catching fire. I greatly enjoyed a lot of Delirious' booking in both the 2010-2011 period and from 2013 up until All-Star Extravaganza VII, so my hope is that knowing that he won't be able to lazily rely on Bullet Club doing their shtick to draw, he'll start booking well again.
Think it certainly leanes towards the Bullet Club being a huge factor because they had such huge focus from ROH. I think the end of the year saw more balance to the booking with others becoming more prominent and I think that was obviously going to be the plan heading forward. I agree a lot with the booking periods, although I thought January to June of this year was up there. Something seem to happen after Best in the world that really slowed everything down, personally I’m surprised they were able to recover like they did.

This will be the make or break for him as a booker and where ROH will set its stall out for the future. So far 18 tickets remain for Atlanta, and I believe it’s around 100 left for Concord so the hangover isn’t too bad considering.
Last edited by BurningHammer on Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Memphis Mark

Post by Memphis Mark »

Koff is a TV ad salesman and Greg is an accountant . They are not two people that have lived wrestling for decades . Their background is useful , because they did not let their passion for the business blind them from economic realities ( see Jim Cornette or Gabe Sapolsky ) . However they do not have a background in dealing with wrestlers. Wrestling is a personality driven business , so I can see where personnel problems could rear their ugly head .

In the end working for ROH is a job . SBGI pays the talent the agreed upon on price for performing a job. I never heard of ROH not paying talent or bouncing checks to wrestlers. If people don't like working for ROH they should just find another job . Please skip all of the emails , shoot interviews and other forms of drama. A days work for a days pay .
Last edited by Memphis Mark on Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AnHonorableMention

Chrisvegas27 wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:06 pm The problem is I don't see koff and delirious getting replaced
Better odds of winning the lottery than either going anywhere.
Captain Podcast
AnHonorableMention

Big Red Machine wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:40 pm
BurningHammer wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:20 pm

Yes, but now the question becomes how much of the growth was due to Delirious and how much was due to Bullet Club catching fire. I greatly enjoyed a lot of Delirious' booking in both the 2010-2011 period and from 2013 up until All-Star Extravaganza VII, so my hope is that knowing that he won't be able to lazily rely on Bullet Club doing their shtick to draw, he'll start booking well again.

I believe in fairness and yes Delirious has been booker during the period of growth. He also had the Sinclair checkbook and The Elite/Bullet Club/NJPW rub nobody else had. This company had the chance to hand off the reigns to Cody & The Bucks, and chose to stay with Delirious who has delivered us mediocre booking. The head coach gets the blame during the losses but the talent gets the credit during the wins. Sports adage. If he can make this group fun and turn around the mediocre creative awesome, let's see it. If not, he's gotta go or take on a minimized role.
Captain Podcast
dark patriot

Post by dark patriot »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:18 pm

Ha, he hasn't lived there in a while. He was living in Orlando and in Tampa for a bit. Once he took the school gig at the GCW camp, he moved back up north into Philly. Lot of ROH alumni living in and around greater Philadelphia. Rave is up there too.

id been wondering why i was seeing Rave with more Northeast bookings the last few months
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Big Red Machine wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:34 pmI would assume said frustrations are creative ones. How many guys over the past few years have we heard of leaving ROH due to Creative issues? It played a part in the departures of Cedric, Lio Rush, Dijak, and ACH. Working a job that you find mind-numbing every day can take a definite toll on someone who gets into a business that is, essentially, an art form. You ask about how guys of ages past would feel, but I think that is one major difference between wrestlers of the past and wrestlers of the present. I think most people who get into wrestling nowadays (excluding some WWE recruits) get into it because they want to be professional wrestlers and love professional wrestling, not because they see it as an avenue to becoming famous, making millions of dollars, and getting laid. Today's wrestlers are less Billy Graham/Harley Race and more Eddie Gilbert.
ACH/Cedric had a lot more history, rather disturbing by all accounts, I do believe a lot was learned from that and things have changed, again I could be wrong.

I think that era of Dijak, Rush, etc will probably go done as the biggest waste of talent to date, it was probably the worst time of booking/miss management of talent I had seen in ROH and probably the time I grew the most frustrated and where I think talent overall became tired of ROH and it’s inability to book new younger talent. Personally as of right now this minute and I think nearly everyone is in a good place booking wise and have found their place. The undercard needs stronger story lines but I think that’s coming, with signings like Haskins, Bandido and PJ Black. Jeff Cobb needs something bigger now but hopefully that will all come and same with the tag titles but I’m guessing Best Freinds is the lock story their.

Big Red Machine wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:34 pmI actually do find Koff to come across as a bit clueless, though I presume that is more due to him being not a particularly good speaker than actual business incompetence.
I think he tries to find his best answer rather than the right one, is how I see it. He can become long winded and just have the same answer for a multitude of questions.
AnHonorableMention

BurningHammer wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:13 pmTiming of shows has been an issue for some time especially on PPV, so maybe a change was needed. It sounds like they need someone with great organisational skills and just a good head on their shoulders, hopefully that wouldn’t be too hard to find. The coaching role could be filled by a number of people in the business, Jerry Lynn would be my first pick.
BJ recently began the timing duties, in an effort to improve them. Jerry Lynn would be a great addition considering he's the poster boy for the locker room, in a good way, everyone loves him, but I don't know if he wants back out on the road.
BurningHammer wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:13 pmThe thing is what’s the point in leaking it, if the result is nothing, yeah the podcasts and sheets know but if they aren’t going to post the email discuss the total detail of the email it’s just nothing. All it’s doing is furthering someone’s agenda towards the company underneath the public gaze in the media, getting you guys onside.

It depends what to a T implies, if it’s abusive in anyway there is a massive issue, if it’s the fact that it isn’t a mom and pops store then I’m sorry, a huge commercial entity owns ROH now, and there will be a certain personality that’s comes along with having worked with people from a environment like it.

The talent leaked it, not BJ Whitmer, let me make that very clear. It didn't change anyone's views of the current state of ROH. Cody Rhodes put it best when someone hit on his wife who worked for ROH/SBG, it's not a culture he wants to be part of. That's the type of acceptable behavior for sinclair who just fired a news anchor who had cancer because she couldn't work. I don't know if anyone will post the email or not. I won't, can't speak for everyone else but knowing others who got it with twitter burner accounts I wouldn't be shocked to see iit trickle out.

The issue is not that a corporation owns the company, it's that it's this corporation who doesn't believe in free speech or human rights owns it. It's how they've treated people including my podcast partner and other former ROH employees both in the Cary era and the current era. It's the constant excuses for people with responsibility.

Joe Koff is definitely clueless and haphazard in dealings with the media and sending emails to the wrong people including a list of who should be fired to the people who he wanted to fire when he bought the company. That email I have physically seen and the level of crude and carelessness handling people with families was disgusting. Having said that, Joe Koff in the few times I've talked to him and had conversations with him about current ROH he's listened, but has not acted on anything. He knows nothing of the company's history and doesn't not care what happened before SBG became the owners of ROH. Definitely not a racist, xenophobe, or a bigot, in fact Joe is a lot more liberal it appears than the company he works for. It's how he manufactures excuses for the company he works for that screen Trump to me, because that's who's behind the SBG corporation. Check out their history and local views on media. Thoroughly disgusting and part of the reason AEW is a thing now.
Captain Podcast