ALL PURPOSE NEW TALENT/SPECIAL ATTRACTION THREAD

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
monster mafia

Re: ALL PURPOSE NEW TALENT/SPECIAL ATTRACTION THREAD

Post by monster mafia »

supersonic wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:45 pm
monster mafia wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:54 am
Chrisvegas27 wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:52 am Darren young the one the came out he was gay in wwe the one that was part of the nexus faction wants to wrestle for ring of honor next year
i hope not...don't see anything special on him.
But maybe he can be the company’s new Cena and spark a boom period war.
you never talk serious things...keep doing it.
rovert1

Post by rovert1 »

Memphis Mark wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:21 pm After today the likelihood of Jimmy Havoc in ROH seems to be a real possibility . Havoc has not been on any recent MLW shows . Both Jimmy Havoc and Mark Haskins would be great additions , either as a team or as singles. Two talented guys.
You wrote this on Monday obviously. But after this week's BTE he seems AEW bound.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

rovert1 wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:51 pm
Memphis Mark wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:21 pm After today the likelihood of Jimmy Havoc in ROH seems to be a real possibility . Havoc has not been on any recent MLW shows . Both Jimmy Havoc and Mark Haskins would be great additions , either as a team or as singles. Two talented guys.
You wrote this on Monday obviously. But after this week's BTE he seems AEW bound.
Good. ROH doesn't need him. He is a talented deathmatch wrestler and a good storytelling, but ROH doens't need deathmatch guys. This is ROH, not a slice-and-dice promotion.
Memphis Mark

Post by Memphis Mark »

Really ? I typed this after watching BTE . We shall see. You seem to have all of the inside info. However , there is no reason talent cannot work for both promotions. Not everyone is a control freak like VKM . An example is that Flip Gordon is on BTE , yet he is locked to ROH for two years.

. I just been a fan since the early 70 's , not an insider by any means. However, I know that wrestlers are trickster' s by nature. Nothing is ever what it appears to be on the surface. Everyone is assuming that there is heat between The Elite and NJPW/ ROH . Maybe there is , but Rhodes and the Jacksons are smart enough not to burn bridges with a major broadcasting company.
Memphis Mark

Post by Memphis Mark »

Big Red Machine wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:10 pm
Good. ROH doesn't need him. He is a talented deathmatch wrestler and a good storytelling, but ROH doens't need deathmatch guys. This is ROH, not a slice-and-dice promotion.
ROH needs wrestlers that draw money . Neither Homicide or Necro would ever be mistaken for Lou Thesz , they just put people in seats .
Big Red Machine

Memphis Mark wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:42 pm
Big Red Machine wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:10 pm

ROH needs wrestlers that draw money . Neither Homicide or Necro would ever be mistaken for Lou Thesz , they just put people in seats .
I don't think Necro ever really drew in ROH, and Homicide did the deathmatch stuff in ROH on rare occasion. And like with Jimmy Jacobs- it drew because they did it on rare occasion, after building up to it. And after fifteen years of seeing slice-and-dice guys all over the indies, I don't think it's that much a draw anymore. Does Matt Tremont draw people? Havoc draws because he does his deathmatch stuff within the storyline-rich environment of PROGRESS. ROH does not have that environment.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Chrisvegas27 wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:21 pm Darren young is hoping to wrestle for Roh next year
Having watched a couple of matches from him under his new ring name Fred Rosser, who looks to have trimmed down a huge amount and seems more agile than he did previously, I don't know if he would be doing shooting star presses all over the place but he looks a safe pair of hands and a real pro with how he moves and works with his opponent.

I could see him making a great heel actually, because he maybe slightly limited in big moves but he sells well. I certainly wouldn't mind seeing him to see what he can do with a guy like King or Gresham.

There is a good match between him and a guy named Jake Atlas, I maybe feels like it goes on a little long towards the end, and the end is slightly strange but up until that moment I enjoyed it. Atlas looked pretty good too.

Also to have an openly gay man on the roster would be fantastic for the progression of wrestling, especially at the level of ROH.
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

Wwe interested in Dalton castle
WebConn

Post by WebConn »

Luchasaurus signed for Atlanta and North Carolina. Luchasaurus vs Hurricane in NC?
Big Red Machine

BurningHammer wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:23 am
Chrisvegas27 wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:21 pm Darren young is hoping to wrestle for Roh next year
Having watched a couple of matches from him under his new ring name Fred Rosser, who looks to have trimmed down a huge amount and seems more agile than he did previously, I don't know if he would be doing shooting star presses all over the place but he looks a safe pair of hands and a real pro with how he moves and works with his opponent.

I could see him making a great heel actually, because he maybe slightly limited in big moves but he sells well. I certainly wouldn't mind seeing him to see what he can do with a guy like King or Gresham.

There is a good match between him and a guy named Jake Atlas, I maybe feels like it goes on a little long towards the end, and the end is slightly strange but up until that moment I enjoyed it. Atlas looked pretty good too.

Also to have an openly gay man on the roster would be fantastic for the progression of wrestling, especially at the level of ROH.
I've got no issue with bringing him in for a weekend or even two to see what he can do, but bringing him in just because he's openly gay is not productive for ROH, and especially with someone who has WWE's jobber stench all over him. I generally try to ignore people's sexual orientations so maybe I'm wrong about this, but there must be someone else running around on the indies who is both LGBT and better than Darren Young.
Big Red Machine

WebConn wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:35 am Luchasaurus vs Hurricane in NC?
A wonderful example of a match ROH should not be booking, but I fear that you have pretty much hit the nail on the head with what they plan to do.
WebConn

Post by WebConn »

Why would you not book that? Superhero vs Supervillain. Give Saurus a mouthpiece make him a monster heel. Destroy the Hurricane.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Big Red Machine wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:44 am

I've got no issue with bringing him in for a weekend or even two to see what he can do, but bringing him in just because he's openly gay is not productive for ROH, and especially with someone who has WWE's jobber stench all over him. I generally try to ignore people's sexual orientations so maybe I'm wrong about this, but there must be someone else running around on the indies who is both LGBT and better than Darren Young.
The thing is you just see him as a WWE jobber it's never going to work, I try and take everyone who comes into ROH from that system with a completely blank slate, if you do the work I have no problem where you come from or your past (unless it's a past Nick Gage). Also I would never advocate to sign someone just for their sexual orrientation, I agree it sends the wrong message, what I do believe though is that ROH is hampered by the nature of sinclair at it's political attitude which is ingrained itself to hate that isn't needed in the world and a signing like Young, would I hope create a more progessive nature within ROH as a company and to the outside world.

There are certainly talents out there that are within the LBGT community, Jake Atlas from what I saw looks talented if a bit raw, he is openly gay, Parrow is another very talented guy who has a wonderful balance between his wrestling life and his personal life.
LJimmy

Post by LJimmy »

Chrisvegas27 wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:48 am Wwe interested in Dalton castle
I've learned to never trust any stories Meltzer reports regarding WWE interest in ROH or New Japan talent. Chances are it's either the talent planting stories for leverage or the promotion planting the story so they can later push that their guy turned down WWE so they can stay with them. I think that's what the deal is with Dalton Castle and Kushida.

Castle strikes me as another one of these loyal ROH talents.
Big Red Machine

WebConn wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:56 am Why would you not book that? Superhero vs Supervillain. Give Saurus a mouthpiece make him a monster heel. Destroy the Hurricane.
Because we already did "superhero vs. supervillain with Scurll and it wasn't very good. Hurricane is a goofball. Luchasaurus has a goofy name, but at least the character is one I can take seriously. If we must book this match (and I don't think Hurricane brings anything of value that they can't get elsewhere) then at least Book it as Luchasaurus (or better yet, some other name) against Shane Helms.
Big Red Machine

BurningHammer wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:03 pm
Big Red Machine wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:44 am

The thing is you just see him as a WWE jobber it's never going to work, I try and take everyone who comes into ROH from that system with a completely blank slate, if you do the work I have no problem where you come from or your past (unless it's a past Nick Gage). Also I would never advocate to sign someone just for their sexual orrientation, I agree it sends the wrong message, what I do believe though is that ROH is hampered by the nature of sinclair at it's political attitude which is ingrained itself to hate that isn't needed in the world and a signing like Young, would I hope create a more progessive nature within ROH as a company and to the outside world.

There are certainly talents out there that are within the LBGT community, Jake Atlas from what I saw looks talented if a bit raw, he is openly gay, Parrow is another very talented guy who has a wonderful balance between his wrestling life and his personal life.
Except Darren hasn't been turning any heads with his post-WWE work, either (and little bit of pre-WWE stuff of his I've seem was nothing special, either). Someone like Cody or Emma or Wade Barrett or even Swagger who were seen as having this untapped potential upside are one thing, but people like Darren Young or Simon Gotch or Bull Dempsey don't deserve anything more than a tryout. Bring Darren in for a weekend and put him in singles matches with a good opponent and give him fifteen minutes, and if he sinks, don't book him anymore. If he swims, do it again, and after two impressive weekends, then we can talk about a contract.

And it's not just about ex-WWE jobbers so much as ex-WWE (and TNA) guys in general. ROH needs to feel like it's own promotion, not a place where people who got cut from other promotions go .
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

I wouldn't be surprised if they go after Barrett or swagger
rovert1

Post by rovert1 »

Castle is tunnel-visioned towards getting a spot with New Japan was the last thing I've ever heard about him. ROH suits him in that a lot more than WWE obviously. Not sure if his back could sustain the NXT/WWE schedule.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

Cool to see Luchasaurus as a regular thing in ROH.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

Chrisvegas27 wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:18 pm I wouldn't be surprised if they go after Barrett or swagger

swagger is awful...stop.