ALL PURPOSE NEW TALENT/SPECIAL ATTRACTION THREAD

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Memphis Mark

Re: ALL PURPOSE NEW TALENT/SPECIAL ATTRACTION THREAD

Post by Memphis Mark »

Chrisvegas27 wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:10 am I would love for Shane Strickland to go it seems like roh is going after popular names on the Indies and talent who contracts are coming up in other companies
Strickland and Trevor Lee are both rumored for NXT . However , so was Silas Young. I guess you never know until the talent actually appears for a promotion .
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

Brody confirmed too:

Brody King is headed to Ring of Honor.

Dave Meltzer has confirmed that King is headed to the promotion. King has pulled out of all future dates with Major League Wrestling.

King has gained traction over the last year as an independent name. He has was branched out across the United States any beyond, working for AAW, Defy, Progress, WWN, GCW, PWG, The Crash and AAA. He is the current AAW champion.

Originally trained at the Santino Bros. Wrestling Academy, Brody King made his debut in 2015. He’s worked in the Southern California indy scene extensively, making his PWG debut at Neon Knights this fast February. He lost to Adam Brooks, but has competed regularly there since then, even challenging WALTER for the PWG title back in July.

The news of King’s signing comes as Pierre Carl Ouellet, or PCO, was also announced as heading to ROH. He too will be unable to fulfill remaining dates with MLW going forward.
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

Memphis Mark wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:11 am
kovs27 wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:55 am
BurningHammer wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:39 am In terms of adding something different to the roster he does that, I don't think he should be on every show and every TV taping but if you make him feel special and have say three big feuds a year and the bigger house shows it will work really well. If Brodie King is coming in also you have a ready made rival for him considering their past matches, you could even bring Janella in later next year for a couple of shots for a short term thing with them.

Overall it's a sensible move to get crowds in while you rebuild and look for a new direction, if you can mix the likes of PCO, King with Zabre, Tracy, one or two more technical guys, hopefully a couple more flyers, then say an MJF and you have close to a very good roster in terms of mix and identity, skill and quality. I think people need to see ROH as a wider wrestling promotion rather than as one certain thing, it will certainly help the grasp of what ROH is going to be.
MJF and Janella are signed with MLW. I'm not sure for how long though.
If I understand correctly the MLW contracts do two things. The talent is prevented from working for the WWE and their affiliate promotions and MLW get priority on their dates. MLW can work for Impact , ROH and Lucha Underground. Joey Janella was going to be an Impact regular before his injury . Rich Swann , Konnan and the Lucha Brothers work for both Impact and MLW .

So it would not be out of the realm of possibility for Janella and Maxwell J to work for multiple promotions .
I was under the impression that Strickland, Havoc, Janella and MJF were under contracts that they couldn't appear for any company that had tv or streaming. I know Strickland has appeared for Evolve on their streaming service so I'm sure I am mistaken. If MJF is available then sign him immediately.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Strickland was on Lucha Underground while he was on MLW, although he wore a mask on the former and the episodes were taped much earlier.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

Roh should go get the rascalz and bandido right now
LJimmy

Post by LJimmy »

People first started claiming two weeks ago that Strickland was leaving MLW after their upcoming Miami shows and that he would report to NXT with the January class. A few days later he announced a booking for February and now Meltzer is saying nothing is clear with him, he's telling people that he's not going to WWE and that he's booked for MLW events in 2019. The people claiming him to WWE next month was a sure thing have yet to respond to what Meltzer reported in the recent Observer.
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

I hope roh goes after him then
christopherclinton55

Post by christopherclinton55 »

MLW has the better television. So it's sad to see them go. I doubt they do anything with them I hope Strickland doesn't leave his storyline in mlw is great.
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

christopherclinton55 wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:51 pm MLW has the better television. So it's sad to see them go. I doubt they do anything with them I hope Strickland doesn't leave his storyline in mlw is great.
The wrestling on MLW is pretty good but the storylines are the worst. With that said I do enjoy it enough to try to keep up.
christopherclinton55

kovs27 wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:35 pm
christopherclinton55 wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:51 pm MLW has the better television. So it's sad to see them go. I doubt they do anything with them I hope Strickland doesn't leave his storyline in mlw is great.
The wrestling on MLW is pretty good but the storylines are the worst. With that said I do enjoy it enough to try to keep up.
If you're talking about the konnan salina de la renta storyline I agree with that. I love that mlw understands television pacing and the importance on managers, backstage interviews also they don't do a lot of in ring face to face promos which logically makes sense. I kinda wish lethal went to mlw
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

This makes me feel much about deciding not to follow them. I was going to watch the Battle Riot, but then they introduced Matt Striker as the new commentator and I decided it wasn't worth the aggravation.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

I like Striker in Lucha Underground but he comes off as annoying elsewhere.
christopherclinton55

Big Red Machine wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:41 pm
This makes me feel much about deciding not to follow them. I was going to watch the Battle Riot, but then they introduced Matt Striker as the new commentator and I decided it wasn't worth the aggravation.
You're missing out on some great television. But I understand striker isn't everyone cup of tea.
christopherclinton55

I would love for them to bring in some utilized talents such as Darius Lockhart, Besties in the world, Chip Day, Curt stallion, jake something.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

kovs27 wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:55 am
BurningHammer wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:39 am In terms of adding something different to the roster he does that, I don't think he should be on every show and every TV taping but if you make him feel special and have say three big feuds a year and the bigger house shows it will work really well. If Brodie King is coming in also you have a ready made rival for him considering their past matches, you could even bring Janella in later next year for a couple of shots for a short term thing with them.

Overall it's a sensible move to get crowds in while you rebuild and look for a new direction, if you can mix the likes of PCO, King with Zabre, Tracy, one or two more technical guys, hopefully a couple more flyers, then say an MJF and you have close to a very good roster in terms of mix and identity, skill and quality. I think people need to see ROH as a wider wrestling promotion rather than as one certain thing, it will certainly help the grasp of what ROH is going to be.
MJF and Janella are signed with MLW. I'm not sure for how long though.
Yeah I knew MJF had, I didn't realise Janella had signed with then, as far as I know they are year long contracts. As has been mentioned though MLW gives you the option to work with Impact and ROH. If I were ROH I would use MJF just now and again just to introduce him then sign him when the contracts up.

MLW does the little things pretty well but the larger things worse in general, also they are way to over produce far to concentrated on the visual presentation of things which honestly takes away from the overal product. If the backstage interviewers didn't sound like they were shit scared they would also work too. I also find it interesting that people find it the Tommy Dreamer and Konnan stuff good yet Bully Ray is just shit when looking at both the Ray stuff comes off better.

Considering who Strickland is freinds with and knows I can't seem him ever going to ROH.

Interesting to know that SammyG hasn't signed with anyone, if it wasn't for him working with AAA It would be great for him to be signed, but most likely he will end up with Impact though.

Lockhart and Besties are two I would certainly like on board, Besties are improving all the time but I do think they need to move on if they are going to get to that next stage.
Memphis Mark

Post by Memphis Mark »

Veteran wrestler from East Tennessee , Joey Lynch , deserves a look from someone. Lynch won the 2018 SCI . Gunner Miller is another talent from that region that has a huge upside. Lots of under valued talent in the marketplace .
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Memphis Mark wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:00 am Veteran wrestler from East Tennessee , Joey Lynch , deserves a look from someone. Lynch won the 2018 SCI . Gunner Miller is another talent from that region that has a huge upside. Lots of under valued talent in the marketplace .
Didn't Gunner have a bad injury and he was out for a while, I didn't know he was back again but before he was injured he had some real momemtum.
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

Big Red Machine wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:41 pm
The biggest problem with the Battle Riot itself wasn't Striker but how obvious out was who was going to win. And that's my biggest complaint with MLW. The stories don't hide what is going to happen next and it hurts my interest.
Memphis Mark

Post by Memphis Mark »

BurningHammer wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:36 am
Memphis Mark wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:00 am Veteran wrestler from East Tennessee , Joey Lynch , deserves a look from someone. Lynch won the 2018 SCI . Gunner Miller is another talent from that region that has a huge upside. Lots of under valued talent in the marketplace .
Didn't Gunner have a bad injury and he was out for a while, I didn't know he was back again but before he was injured he had some real momemtum.
Gunner Miller did hurt his knee. He is taking the rest of 2018 off to let the injury heal. He said he would return in 2019 . I hoping he recovers and comes back stronger than ever. Really a talented young wrestler.
thebrettclark

Post by thebrettclark »

Memphis Mark wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:16 am
BurningHammer wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:36 am
Gunner Miller did hurt his knee. He is taking the rest of 2018 off to let the injury heal. He said he would return in 2019 . I hoping he recovers and comes back stronger than ever. Really a talented young wrestler.
I’ve been to the last 3 SCI events (plus some of their other events) and I don’t see it in Gunner. What am I missing?

Agree with you on Joey Lynch. Dudes a great worker.