ALL PURPOSE NEW TALENT/SPECIAL ATTRACTION THREAD

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Wilson

Re: ALL PURPOSE NEW TALENT/SPECIAL ATTRACTION THREAD

Post by Wilson »

famicommander wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:56 pm Joe Koff may come off as an idiot in interviews but he's actually running a successful wrestling promotion on a national scale right now. He's the only person in the US not named Vince McMahon to be doing that. You could have Jeff Jarrett, Ed Nordholm, Dorian Roldan, Dixie Carter, Billy Corgan, Eric Bischoff, the Yakuza, Rob Feinstein, or any number of buffoons and rogues running this ship.

[...]

Even WWE, while still orders of magnitude bigger than ROH or NJPW, is shrinking rapidly. ROH has to be doing something right.
WWE is not rapidly shrinking; they're earning more profit and their subscriber base compares evenly to last year. https://www.fightful.com/wwe-upgrades-p ... nce-update

Truth is, most large companies--like the WWE or Sinclair--are self-sufficient even if the end product leaves to be desired. I come down on Koff as much on anyone on here, but he mostly just comes off as bad on interviews or too middle-management, and doesn't appear to understand the wider wrestling market all that keenly. I'm not certain how much of his creative vision is felt in ROH, if at all.
rovert1 wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:35 pm They aren't leaving.

They were unhappy, acted, got disciplined and Owens, in particular, was embarrassed for the situation happening at all.

Likely with return on screen before the end of the Survivor Series PPV.
Thanks, rovert.
Montana

Post by Montana »

Wilson wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:53 am
famicommander wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:56 pm
WWE is not rapidly shrinking; they're earning more profit and their subscriber base compares evenly to last year. https://www.fightful.com/wwe-upgrades-p ... nce-update

Truth is, most large companies--like the WWE or Sinclair--are self-sufficient even if the end product leaves to be desired. I come down on Koff as much on anyone on here, but he mostly just comes off as bad on interviews or too middle-management, and doesn't appear to understand the wider wrestling market all that keenly. I'm not certain how much of his creative vision is felt in ROH, if at all.
It could come down to how you measure success. If you look at ratings/house show attendance WWE is trending downward. The other concerning piece for WWE is who is their big star/draw? Roman Reigns? Brock Lesnar? Now that guys like Cena are moving on, they can't seem to build up any talent, and they just pull guys from NXT/ROH/NJPW to fill the void. They've dried up most of the indys. A lot of the big name talent isn't even happy there. Not saying the sky is falling for them, but i just don't see them trending up in the future... much like the past 10 years.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Wilson wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:53 am
famicommander wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:56 pm Joe Koff may come off as an idiot in interviews but he's actually running a successful wrestling promotion on a national scale right now. He's the only person in the US not named Vince McMahon to be doing that. You could have Jeff Jarrett, Ed Nordholm, Dorian Roldan, Dixie Carter, Billy Corgan, Eric Bischoff, the Yakuza, Rob Feinstein, or any number of buffoons and rogues running this ship.

[...]

Even WWE, while still orders of magnitude bigger than ROH or NJPW, is shrinking rapidly. ROH has to be doing something right.

rovert1 wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:35 pm They aren't leaving.

They were unhappy, acted, got disciplined and Owens, in particular, was embarrassed for the situation happening at all.

Likely with return on screen before the end of the Survivor Series PPV.
Thanks, rovert.
Their TV audience is dropping, their attendance is dropping, and when their TV deal with USA Network is up they're going to have to take a massive hit on TV revenue that the WWE Network growth will not be able to compensate for.

Profit and loss numbers are staggered -- ie, we won't see the effects of the empty houses and dwindling TV audience in this year's financials.

They're still very profitable but they're not growing. Not by a long shot. And eventually it will catch up with them.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

The indies are far from dried up. Anyone perceiving otherwise has obviously not gone under the VoW/PWP learning trees yet.

Do not even bother commenting on WWE business if you aren’t keeping tabs on the Wrestlenomics crew of Chris Harrington and Brandon Howard Thurston.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

And my source on this is mostly from Harrington and Thurston. The WWE has performed less at the gate this year than others in recent memory, but they're offsetting it by running more shows. Their income is largely generated through their deal with NBC Universal, so they'll likely be in a bit of a holding until the next negotiation. Due to their verticals, they rely less on stars than other companies might.

While business isn't necessarily booming, they are financially comfortable, and will be for at least the next decade. Claiming that their income is "shrinking rapidly" greatly mischaracterizes their financial state. The WWE's constancy as the largest promotion renders itself as far as the horizon goes.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

Wilson wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:38 pm And my source on this is mostly from Harrington and Thurston. The WWE has performed less at the gate this year than others in recent memory, but they're offsetting it by running more shows. Their income is largely generated through their deal with NBC Universal, so they'll likely be in a bit of a holding until the next negotiation. Due to their verticals, they rely less on stars than other companies might.

While business isn't necessarily booming, they are financially comfortable, and will be for at least the next decade. Claiming that their income is "shrinking rapidly" greatly mischaracterizes their financial state. The WWE's constancy as the largest promotion renders itself as far as the horizon goes.
Yeah man, Vince was at his lowest in the wrestling business 20 years ago. He's not even close to that point right now.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

I didn't say their income was shrinking rapidly, I said WWE was. I was talking specifically about the number of people watching the shows and going to the shows. I perhaps should have been more clear with my phrasing.

I'm not a doomsayer or anything. I don't think WWE is going to die off. But the upcoming TV negotiations are indeed going to be a problem. There's no way USA gives them anywhere close to the same amount of money they got last time.

The general thrust of my argument was that WWE is declining in popularity, not that they are on their deathbed or vulnerable to being overtaken in the foreseeable future.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

https://twitter.com/austinaries/status/ ... 1661891584

Elite vs. Lethal, Jacobs, & Aries please
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

James Storm is officially done with Impact.

I wouldn't at all be surprised to see him go to WWE but I'd really like to see him in ROH. I think he's an underrated worker and great on the mic. I'd watch the hell out of James Storm vs Jay Briscoe.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Do the quick Briscoes feud and then jump to WWE on Mania weekend. BEER MONEY VS. AMBROSE/ROLLINS. BEER MONEY VS. REVIVAL. BEER MONEY VS. NEW DAY. Much more interesting than Gallows & Anderson.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

You forgot the part where they send the 40 year old man to developmental for like 3 years and waste the last few years of his ability to perform at a high level
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Meltzer:
Kevin Owens & Sami Zayn will be returning for television on Tuesday in Charlotte to face the New Day.
Lucha Underground has been officially renewed for a fourth season. There is a lot to this, but officially the next set of tapings are to be filmed early next year. The talk we've heard is March. For some talent, this is good news, but for the talent under contract that wants to sign with New Japan or WWE, this is not good news. This doesn't make a difference regarding either Ricochet or Rey Mysterio Jr., who are gone from the promotion and their contracts have expired. But it does regarding people like Penta 0M, Jeff Cobb or others.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

Whatever James Storm does I want to see the cultist James Storm rather than the deer woods, beer drinking James Storm. Really dug him as a cult leading heel with that Revolution grouo witb Sanada, Abyss, and TJP (though TJP really wasn't a good fit in that group).
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

So is Flip Gordon taking Jay White's place in Search & Destroy?
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

dhads7161 wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:38 am Whatever James Storm does I want to see the cultist James Storm rather than the deer woods, beer drinking James Storm. Really dug him as a cult leading heel with that Revolution grouo witb Sanada, Abyss, and TJP (though TJP really wasn't a good fit in that group).
Truthfully, does boring as fuck TJP fit in any group?
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Meltzer:
Simon Grimm (formerly Simon Gotch in WWE) debuted for ROH at their show in Fort Lauderdale tonight and will also be appearing in Lakeland for them tomorrow.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

The Vaudevillains were a great babyface gimmick that Vince didn't get. That's why they got miscast as heels on the main rosters and flopped.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

Shame Mike Posey went back to reffing...ROH needs more P. Dogg.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

dhads7161 wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:49 pm Shame Mike Posey went back to reffing...ROH needs more P. Dogg.
I know these are all English words, but when you put them in that order they don't seem to make any sense
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

famicommander wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:42 pm
dhads7161 wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:49 pm Shame Mike Posey went back to reffing...ROH needs more P. Dogg.
I know these are all English words, but when you put them in that order they don't seem to make any sense
His name is P, he counts to three, he needs to come back with the G-A-G!