ALL PURPOSE NEW TALENT/SPECIAL ATTRACTION THREAD

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Roque11

Re: ALL PURPOSE NEW TALENT/SPECIAL ATTRACTION THREAD

Post by Roque11 »

supersonic wrote:Another for the Sonic is Right folder - viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1489
Exactly. Kenny was apart of the greatest OVW era ever with Punk and Albright.
JTCole

Post by JTCole »

Albright was exposed as a guy who had no wrestling charisma to be completely fair.
christopherclinton55

Post by christopherclinton55 »

I would love to see Shane Strickland brought in after the lucha underground contract ends.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

Mike Adamle wrote:I'm not the biggest Ken Doane fan, but I'm happy to see Mike Mondo after his last run with the company. He was having some pretty good matches, hopefully he's improved in his time away.
Really? Because his last run in ROH convinced me that Mike Mondo is the most annoying human being on the face of the Earth (and also a rather dull wrestler).
Big Red Machine

Roque11 wrote:ROH continues to show the same thing they have proven throughout their history with all these recent returns and debuts. No matter who leaves they always find people to replace them.
The goal is not finding "people" to replace the people who leave. The goal is to find TALENTED people to replace the people who leave. The f*cking Spirit Squad do not qualify.
Big Red Machine

Wilson wrote:At most, I expect the Spirit Squad to be a Stevie Richards type of thing, which is not to imply that the Spirit Squad have nearly the amount of good faith invested in them as Richards has. Doane and Mondo are enhancement guys that have worked TV and will be used that again if they have repeat bookings.

But of course, they’re being booked in the first place is a reflection of the sparse roster and of a kind of shortsightedness for having put them against their hottest act—possibly even at their hottest venue. This may also be the signpost of diminishing returns for former WWE/TNA talents appearing in ROH.
Even if it's just a one-shot deal, I hate the fact that they brought them in doing the Spirit Squad gimmick. It's a total joke gimmick that people know from WWE over a decade ago. It makes ROH look second rate and makes them look like a joke.
Roque11

Post by Roque11 »

Big Red Machine wrote:
Roque11 wrote:ROH continues to show the same thing they have proven throughout their history with all these recent returns and debuts. No matter who leaves they always find people to replace them.
The goal is not finding "people" to replace the people who leave. The goal is to find TALENTED people to replace the people who leave. The f*cking Spirit Squad do not qualify.
ROH always finds talented people to replace departed talent. They've done this since for their entire existence. TNA pulls a bunch of guys due to the RF scandal and they push Punk and Joe to take their spots. Punk leaves and you see the rise of Danielson. Danielson, Nigel, Hero and Claudio leave and ROH replaces them with Steen, Generico, Davey and Eddie. After they leave they build up Adam Cole, Kyle O' Reilly and Jay Lethal.

Now with all the recent departures, who are still not going to WWE any time soon BTW, ROH at the last tapings delivers the Spirit Squad, big returns and debuts of some of the best young talent in the business today. Plus they signed Jonathan Gresham, who is probably the best technical wrestler today.

ROH continues to be a star making vehicle. Without ROH nobody would've ever known who War Machine and Dalton Castle are. Hell, War Machine would've never existed as a team. ROH is also grooming Punishment Martinez, a guy who will become one of wrestling's biggest stars within the next two years.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

Roque11 wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:
ROH always finds talented people to replace departed talent. They've done this since for their entire existence. TNA pulls a bunch of guys due to the RF scandal and they push Punk and Joe to take their spots. Punk leaves and you see the rise of Danielson. Danielson, Nigel, Hero and Claudio leave and ROH replaces them with Steen, Generico, Davey and Eddie. After they leave they build up Adam Cole, Kyle O' Reilly and Jay Lethal.

Now with all the recent departures, who are still not going to WWE any time soon BTW, ROH at the last tapings delivers the Spirit Squad, big returns and debuts of some of the best young talent in the business today. Plus they signed Jonathan Gresham, who is probably the best technical wrestler today.

ROH continues to be a star making vehicle. Without ROH nobody would've ever known who War Machine and Dalton Castle are. Hell, War Machine would've never existed as a team. ROH is also grooming Punishment Martinez, a guy who will become one of wrestling's biggest stars within the next two years.
Uh, are you fucking serious? The star power and talent has been dropping off for years, dude. As much as I like Cole, he's not even in the same league as Danielson and Punk.
Thelone

Post by Thelone »

Croque11 wrote:ROH always finds talented people to replace departed talent. They've done this since for their entire existence. TNA pulls a bunch of guys due to the RF scandal and they push Punk and Joe to take their spots. Punk leaves and you see the rise of Danielson. Danielson, Nigel, Hero and Claudio leave and ROH replaces them with Steen, Generico, Davey and Eddie. After they leave they build up Adam Cole, Kyle O' Reilly and Jay Lethal.
Two glorified midcarders, some stars...
Shame no one ordered them in the first place.
Not really no. Yeah, they have those guys on their shows, but they sure are doing very little to promote them as anything more than a bunch of bodies on a wrestling show.
http://thelone.be/ => My site, which means a bunch of random stuff really.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

I'm not jumping on Roque's crazy train but you can't say Jay Lethal is a midcarder.

The cold hard facts are that his year as ROH champ was the biggest and most successful year in company history. They reached new heights in TV exposure, PPV carriage, attendance, etc. That doesn't mean Lethal is solely responsible for all of that, of course. But Lethal's as legitimate a star as anybody in ROH.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

jay lethal is one of the most important roh wrestlers of all time.
SweetDaddy

Post by SweetDaddy »

Jay Lethal made me a ROH fan.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Generally I think ROH has generally done a good job with the talent available more so in the main event scene, lower down there have obviously been issues and especially the waste of talent. Jay Lethal has provided us with excellent matches, good to great matches and feuds while also delivering crowds as champ. That said ROH certainly had a golden era of young talent available to them back in the day, you look at how good Danielson was at such an early age, the same can be said for London, Kendrick, Punk, Cabanna, Low Ki, Amazing Red, AJ, Joe, the list goes on and on without even delving into the strivers that really helped the quality of the overall shows.

I think honestly despite the high level of talent available there has been a decline in those that can really deliver story lines and drama, I think Cole is probably the only guy i've really seen in the new generation that can really get the essence of a story and drive it home, I would say Lethal but I do kind of include him in the Golden era he was just heavily missed handled by TNA.

I think there are certainly talents out there that could create something significant especially in the lower card like David Starr but would I want him as an ROH world champ no probably not. ROH certainly needs to find that next level main event guy that can really take a company forward, Castle has the creativity and the mic work and I think the crowd to create the sympath and energy for the role but does he have the match skills probably not yet, I think he really needs the TV title to help with that. For me I would either go with Ospreay or Marty, both get great crowd reaction on either side of their dynamic's, Ospreay I don't think has the mic skills but his matches make up for that especially if you make sure he is put in a situation where physcology is involved I think it would surprise quite a few, Marty obviously has the lot but I do think for ROH in particuler he needs that one feud to set up him up fully in the company.
Big Red Machine

Roque11 wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:

Please just admit that you're trolling and leave us all alone.
Big Red Machine

famicommander wrote:I'm not jumping on Roque's crazy train but you can't say Jay Lethal is a midcarder.

The cold hard facts are that his year as ROH champ was the biggest and most successful year in company history. They reached new heights in TV exposure, PPV carriage, attendance, etc. That doesn't mean Lethal is solely responsible for all of that, of course. But Lethal's as legitimate a star as anybody in ROH.
monster mafia wrote:jay lethal is one of the most important roh wrestlers of all time.
I'm not going to 100% agree with either of these statements, but the fact of the matter is that- whatever you may think of his ability- Lethal has been built up and pushed as a main event star in ROH, and gets reacted to as such.
The Dragon Saga

Post by The Dragon Saga »

Mr. Mojo Risin wrote:
Uh, are you fucking serious? The star power and talent has been dropping off for years, dude. As much as I like Cole, he's not even in the same league as Danielson and Punk.
I'm sorry, I don't agree with much of whatever Roque says, but Adam Cole right now is more of a draw and a star than pre-WWE, Bryan Danielson or CM Punk ever were. They were Internet darlings at a time when being an Internet darling was still a thing. Adam Cole is renowned and acclaimed for his star presence, ability and overall way of handling himself. Between his achievements in and outside Ring of Honor, he is a much bigger star than either Bryan or Punk ever achieved prior to getting the exposure through WWE. It also helps that ROH is a much larger company, is much more easily accessible and has a much larger reach than it did when either of them were around too.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

The Dragon Saga wrote:
Mr. Mojo Risin wrote:
I'm sorry, I don't agree with much of whatever Roque says, but Adam Cole right now is more of a draw and a star than pre-WWE, Bryan Danielson or CM Punk ever were. They were Internet darlings at a time when being an Internet darling was still a thing. Adam Cole is renowned and acclaimed for his star presence, ability and overall way of handling himself. Between his achievements in and outside Ring of Honor, he is a much bigger star than either Bryan or Punk ever achieved prior to getting the exposure through WWE. It also helps that ROH is a much larger company, is much more easily accessible and has a much larger reach than it did when either of them were around too.
You make a valid counterpoint. Cole is 10 times the star either Danielson or Punk was in ROH. I should have emphasized the work rate. When Roque tries to pull off The Spirit Squad in the same league as the recently departed Hardys, I am going to fucking protest. Cole is arguably their top overall guy and all I was merely saying that the overall work rate doesn't match Danielson or Punk. Roque would have you believe that the arrival of the Spirit Squad in ROH is the second coming of Christ.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

Ian Riccaboni‏ officially signs with roh

dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

Are Penta & Fenix currently under contract anywhere? They'd be a hell of a coup.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

dhads7161 wrote:Are Penta & Fenix currently under contract anywhere? They'd be a hell of a coup.
Aren't they not able to work US TV because of their Lucha Underground deals?