Review for Eliminating the Competition

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
DBSommer

Post by DBSommer »

Yes, this is one from way back when, but it’s the first time I’ve seen it and I heard bad things about it. But since it was free in the VOD section, I figured what the hey

Bobby Fish vs. Papadon

Hey, it’s one of the current top guys in the promotion. Actually a nice introductory match for the guys. Sorry they didn’t let Papadon back in as well

**3/4

Bobby Dempsey + Erik Stevens vs. All Night Express

Dempsey had just beaten Sweeny and was on the side of angels. Sadly, this does not give him any actual wrestling talent, and I can no longer stand to see ANX outside of a fight with the Briscoes any longer.

Claudio Castagnoli vs. Brent Albright

The second match in their feud, which I recall hating. However this match was actually pretty decent.

***1/4

Chris Hero + Eddie Edwards vs. Kevin Steen + Jay Briscoe

So everyone’s partner is injured, so it’s mix and match time. It comes across like 4 singles guys in a tag match since they don’t work with each other. Not bad, just not real good.

Delirious vs. Bryan Danielson

This was during Delirious’s time in the AotF. Best match thus far.

***1/2

Austin Aries vs. Sami Callihan

I really like Sami’s work and was disappointed then at them not bringing him on a regular basis. Aries meshes well with him

***1/4

No DQ: Necro Butcher vs. Brodie Lee

Another guy I really liked at the time and was disappointed that is tenure was brief. A pity Necro wasn’t the one that went. This was ok, but I’m not that up on No DQ matches.

**3/4

4 Way Elimination World Championship Match : Nigel McGuiness © vs. Tyler Black vs. Jerry Lynn vs. Jimmy Jacobs

I did have high hopes for this. All the guys can go. But this wasn’t given the time it needed to get good. And while the idea that Jacobs hatred for Black interfered with his strategy, his other actions didn’t make that much sense and hurt the match. There was definitely something missing.

***1/2

Not a bad card per se, but I'd recommend only getting it real cheap.