Official Conquest Tour 2016 Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
K.O.

Re: Official Conquest Tour 2016 Thread

Post by K.O. »

Thelone wrote:
monster mafia wrote:dont like it,dont watch it...
I basically don't at this point.
Yet you still feel the need to run your mouth(or keyboard) in every thread with ridiculous criticisms about a product you claim to no longer watch. Must be nice to have a life with so little important going on that you have time to post your tired bullshit. ;)
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

supersonic wrote:"Relax," "it's just wrestling," "why not nitpick other companies too?" is the mentality that reeks of low standards, justifies wrestling continuing to be a low-income attraction niche, and has TNA in its current predicament.

A great artist holds himself to such scrutiny and doesn't just point at the financial books, but at the critical aesthetics just as much if not more. Doing so would make him no different than Michael Bay, Kevin Nash, and other lazy artists that share such a similar mentality.
Well said.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

K.O. wrote:
Thelone wrote:
monster mafia wrote:dont like it,dont watch it...
I basically don't at this point.
Yet you still feel the need to run your mouth(or keyboard) in every thread with ridiculous criticisms about a product you claim to no longer watch. Must be nice to have a life with so little important going on that you have time to post your tired bullshit. ;)
So the guy has higher wrestling standards, what's wrong with that?
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

That a lapsed viewer still keeps up and in the discussion is actually a silver lining. He's still got an emotional attachment and has hope that something will spring up that emotionally resonates with him.

It could be worse like how I am with TNA, in which I have completely moved on and only discuss it when a major off-screen eggs-on-their-faces situation erupts.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

supersonic wrote: It could be worse like how I am with TNA, in which I have completely moved on and only discuss it when a major off-screen eggs-on-their-faces situation erupts.
In that case, TNA is still a weekly source of fodder for you then.
K.O.

Post by K.O. »

I don't watch the TV show anymore, I barely dig for the house shows free online, I would never pay for an on demand, and I skipped the show the last time ROH played my city(something I haven't done in years). So I too am a "lapsed fan" who still fringe follows the product and watches the major shows.

I lurk here to get scooped on latest happenings and match announcements, and that's basically it. I don't waste my valuable time sharing every negative thought I have about the company just to hear myself rant when that is all it accomplishes. I have no time for that bullshit, apparently some others appreciate that type of pointless time wasting though.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

Check out the nugget I've highlighted in bold at the bottom:
THE CONQUEST TOUR is coming to Philadelphia! On Saturday, March 12th, Ring of Honor returns to the historic 2300 Arena in South Philadelphia. This will be a huge event featuring all of your favorite ROH stars! On March 12th, we will still be feeling the aftershocks from the 14TH ANNIVERSARY pay-per-view mere weeks before in Las Vegas. The 2300 Arena has been an absolute landmark in the history of professional wrestling. And whenever Ring of Honor comes back home to Philadelphia, the night is always extra special!

Just signed for March 12th in Philadelphia:

ADAM COLE & RODERICK STRONG VS. REDRAGON

Common enemies create an unlikely team when THE CONQUEST TOUR hits Philadelphia!

The last time we were in Philadelphia for FINAL BATTLE, Bobby Fish scored a visual submission on then-current ROH World Television Champion Roderick Strong. The referee missed the tap out, but to Fish that proved that he was the rightful TV Champ. For weeks, he antagonized Strong, who kept coming up with excuses to deny Fish his rematch. Finally, a championship match between Fish and Strong was signed for the 14TH ANNIVERSARY. Then in a shocking turn of events at HONOR RISING, Tomohiro Ishii defeated Roderick Strong and won the ROH World Television Championship!

At the 14TH ANNIVERSARY, neither Fish nor Strong managed to unseat Ishii. And it's clear the hatred between them is far from quelled. They'll square off in Philadelphia once again, but it won't be one-on-one this time. Bobby Fish will have his longtime partner, Kyle O'Reilly, while Roderick Strong teams up with Adam Cole!

Cole and Strong have their own long history, and once battled over the ROH World Television Championship themselves! Neither of these former champions is known as a "team player," but their mutual distain for reDRagon might be enough to unite them in Philadelphia. Adam Cole has spent an entire year trying to destroy Kyle O'Reilly, first by deceiving him and all of Ring of Honor and then by costing him the ROH World Championship. At the 14TH ANNIVERSARY, Cole and O'Reilly were part of an incredible triple threat main event where their hated for each other was never more apparent. And the last time ROH was in Philadelphia, Cole and O'Reilly tried to destroy each other in a brutal grudge match!

Built on so much professional and personality animosity, this match is guaranteed to be a war. Four of the absolute best in the world battle in Philadelphia and you can be there live! To get your tickets to March 12th in Philadelphia, click HERE!

Ring of Honor Wrestling Presents

THE CONQUEST TOUR
2300 Arena
2300 S. Swanson Street
Philadelphia, PA 19148

SIGNED TO APPEAR:

ROH WORLD CHAMPION JAY LETHAL
ROH WORLD TAG TEAM CHAMPIONS WAR MACHINE
THE BRISCOES
ANX
ACH
CEDRIC ALEXANDER w/VEDA SCOTT
MOOSE
MATT SYDAL
THE YOUNG BUCKS
THE ADDICTION
CHEESEBURGER
ADAM PAGE
BJ WHITMER
WILL FERRARA

Plus a Women of Honor match featuring KYOKO KIMURA
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Mr. Mojo Risin wrote:
supersonic wrote: It could be worse like how I am with TNA, in which I have completely moved on and only discuss it when a major off-screen eggs-on-their-faces situation erupts.
In that case, TNA is still a weekly source of fodder for you then.
TNA has to work even harder to get my attention now. It became crystal clear in the closing months of 2015 that their antics towards Dave Meltzer and "TNA haters" during the summer were nothing more than dismissive band-aids and desperate attention-seeking to fool themselves into believing they would still be relevant despite all evidence clearly pointing to the contrary.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

K.O. wrote:I don't watch the TV show anymore, I barely dig for the house shows free online, I would never pay for an on demand, and I skipped the show the last time ROH played my city(something I haven't done in years). So I too am a "lapsed fan" who still fringe follows the product and watches the major shows.

I lurk here to get scooped on latest happenings and match announcements, and that's basically it. I don't waste my valuable time sharing every negative thought I have about the company just to hear myself rant when that is all it accomplishes. I have no time for that bullshit, apparently some others appreciate that type of pointless time wasting though.
The silent disapproval method would've ensured we experienced Randy Orton vs. Batista as the main event of WrestleMania XXX.
K.O.

Post by K.O. »

supersonic wrote:
The silent disapproval method would've ensured we experienced Randy Orton vs. Batista as the main event of WrestleMania XXX.
Yeah because complaining about a Sydal title shot at a random house show or critiquing the tone or grammar of a press release match announcement that no one outside of this board could ever be assed to read is the exact equivalent of speaking up and getting the main event changed at the biggest show of the year. :roll:

You must be fucking trolling.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

K.O. wrote:
supersonic wrote:
Yeah because complaining about a Sydal title shot at a random house show or critiquing the tone or grammar of a press release match announcement that no one outside of this board could ever be assed to read is the exact equivalent of speaking up and getting the main event changed at the biggest show of the year. :roll:

He said assed.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

K.O. wrote:
supersonic wrote:

It's the title shot that is being complained about. It is the overall way that stories are being constructed and (not) told in ROH that is the major source of the complaint.

And for those of us who work in communications as a profession, the idea that you could write as poorly as ROH tends to on their website is a little bit jarring.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

Anyone else think they could make a decent amount of money selling this show as a live iPPV? Lethal vs. Sydal and reDRagon vs. Roddy & Cole alone is a killer 1-2 punch on top, plus Castle vs. Omega has potential if they don't get caught up in the silliness. Also, there is a going to be a Young Bucks match. I think they could do some good business.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

I think Lethal/Sydal and Castle/Omega are intriguing. Cole needs to move onto something else, unless Delirious plans on playing up Mount Rushmore 2.0 in ROH by uniting Cole and Strong in some fashion. I agree the silliness of Castle/Omega could detract from a potentially really good matchup. However, Castle more than held up his own against Goto without the over the top antics, which may be a sign of things to come.
The Dragon Saga

Post by The Dragon Saga »

Thelone wrote:
The Dragon Saga wrote:I'm eagerly waiting the day that people stop taking house shows so seriously. It's a match to sell tickets. That's the top line and the bottom line.
Why not? They want to sell tickets. What would you prefer they say?

"On March 12th, Matt Sydal will challenge Jay Lethal for the ROH World Championship. No real reason. No real purpose. No real... rebirth? Who gives a fuck anyway?! This is a house show that eventually won't matter once this place keeps growing and not every single show can have a higher purpose because that way nothing interesting will be left for the TV tapings or PPV's which is actually what matters."

It's called hyperbole. You'll be shocked to discover it has been used by every single wrestling promotion to have ever existed.
Thelone

Post by Thelone »

They could just, you know, TELL THE FUCKING STORY THEN. There's a big difference between spoonfeeding everything and not showing a damn thing. How hard is it to have Sydal cut a short backstage promo after a win saying that he's on a good streak and going after the world title ?
http://thelone.be/ => My site, which means a bunch of random stuff really.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

The Briscoes & Cheeseburger vs. Moose & War Machine has been added to the show in Philadelphia on 3/12:

AssShooter

Post by AssShooter »

Big Red Machine wrote:Here's their whole article on the Sydal title shot:
www.ROHWrestling.com wrote: Saturday, March 12th - 2300 Arena
Fresh off the heels of the 14th Anniversary Pay Per View, Ring of Honor returns to the CITY OF BROTHERLY LOVE on Saturday, March 12th at the HISTORIC 2300 ARENA for a night of the BEST WRESTLING ON THE PLANET!

Long-time ROH fans know that in 2002, The Best Wrestling on the Planet hosted its inaugural show in Philadelphia. With deep Philly roots, ROH’s return to Philadelphia as part of the CONQUEST TOUR is guaranteed to be a hot ticket!

ROH Matchmaker Nigel McGuinness has signed the first bout for March 12 and it is for the ROH WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP!

ROH WORLD CHAMPION JAY LETHAL vs #REBORN MATT SYDAL

For a world-class athlete like Matt Sydal, very few victories can be classified as upsets. His victory over former ROH World Champion Adam Cole in Nashville was marked as upset by some, but keen observers know that this signature win was the culmination of his rebirth in Ring of Honor! The victory over the former champion who remains a top contender has cemented Sydal’s status as the number one contender to the ROH World Championship!

Twelve years following his debut in Ring of Honor, Sydal seeks to complete his metamorphosis in ROH and capture the ROH World Championship in the City of Brotherly Love! The only problem? The Greatest First Generation Wrestler of All-Time is standing in his way!

Jay Lethal has held a ROH World singles championship uninterrupted for nearly two years! Since forming an alliance with Truth Martini, Lethal has defeated every challenger that he has signed to compete against, including Cole and Kyle O’Reilly at the 14th Anniversary Pay Per View! With huge wins in Japan and England in 2016, Lethal has firmly established himself as the world’s best.

Lethal and his challenger Sydal are no strangers to one another with Sydal nearly dethroning Lethal for the ROH World Television Championship at Final Battle 2014! Lethal is perhaps the greatest streak in Ring of Honor history, closing in on one year with the ROH World Title – will Sydal’s aerial assaults and stick-and-move attacks be enough to help him capture his first ROH singles championship? Will Lethal’s exhausting schedule of defenses catch up to him in the birthplace of Ring of Honor? Or will the House of Truth’s trump card prove that the House Always Wins? Join us in Philadelphia to find out!

Don't miss out on this rare opportunity to see this HUGE ROH World Championship match!

To get your tickets to March 12th in Philadelphia, click HERE!

Ring of Honor Wrestling Presents

THE CONQUEST TOUR
2300 Arena
2300 S. Swanson Street
Philadelphia, PA 19148

Signed to appear

ROH WORLD TAG TEAM CHAMPIONS WAR MACHINE
"THE CLEANER" KENNY OMEGA
RODERICK STRONG
THE YOUNG BUCKS
ACH
MOOSE
ADAM COLE
REDRAGON
AND MORE!

*CARD SUBJECT TO CHANGE*

And here's what drives me nuts about it:
For a world-class athlete like Matt Sydal, very few victories can be classified as upsets. His victory over former ROH World Champion Adam Cole in Nashville was marked as upset by some, but keen observers know that this signature win was the culmination of his rebirth in Ring of Honor! The victory over the former champion who remains a top contender has cemented Sydal’s status as the number one contender to the ROH World Championship!
It doesn't FEEL like the "culmination" of ANYTHING. It doesn't feel like Sydal has been doing jack sh*t, and yet here they are telling us that he has been on this journey of rebirth or whatever. Stop with the abstract bullsh*t and stick to concrete things that make f*cking sense! There's nothing wrong with Sydal wanting to prove that his time in WWE hasn't made him lose a step and that he can still go at the level he used to be able to even though he spent seven years away from ROH. That's a great story. They just need to ACTUALLY TELL IT! Sydal hasn't cut one single f*cking promo about ANYTHING in MONTHS! Hell... I don't remember him cutting a single promo in the past YEAR! This just shows that they have learned absolutely nothing from the ACH-Sydal best of five... feud? debacle. We have seen nothing to suggest that Sydal has been on any sort of journey of any kind, but now that they're giving him this title shot, we're supposed just say "oh. He was on this journey the whole time. I hope he completes his journey." No. That's not how stories work!

And to make matters even more frustrating, they COULD have framed this title shot in a way that makes PERFECT F*CKING SENSE, and using pretty much all of the pieces they ALREADY HAVE HERE:
Go with the idea that beating Cole is beating a former ROH World Champion. Not only did Sydal beat Cole recently, but he also pinned former ROH World Champion Michael Elgin at Winter Warriors Tour: Atlanta. In addition to this, he has recently pinned Chris Sabin (at Final Battle) and one of the Young Bucks (on TV), Dalton Castle, and Gedo (at Honor Rising). That's a darn impressive bunch of wins! Even better, if instead of giving Dalton Castle a pointless win on TV in the Castle/Jay Briscoe/Sydal/Moose four-way from TV, you have Sydal pin Briscoe (or, if Castle absolutely has to win that match, you could have had Sydal beat Briscoe in the singles match at Road to Final Battle: Ft. Lauderdale, Jay can give up a singles loss here because he is about to start another tag team run), you now have Matt Sydal with a huge strong of victories, including THREE former ROH World Champions (and even without those changes, you have two in a row). Shouldn't THAT be enough justification for a title shot?!
But no. Because wins and losses don't really matter now in ROH (except, apparently, where Jay Briscoes is concerned because Delirious seems to be obsessed with protecting Jay). Instead, it's all about nebulous, abstract crap which they don't bother to actually show us any evidence of. And how do I know this? Because if wins and losses actually mattered, then Sydal pinned Cole on TV would be erased by the fact that SYDAL JUST GOT PINNED AT THE PPV!
REALLY! HOW F*CKING HARD WOULD IT HAVE BEEN TO JUST HAVE ACH TAKE THE PIN INSTEAD?! THEY'RE NOT EVEN DOING ANYTHING WITH HIM! BUT NO! INSTEAD THEY GO AND PIN THE GUY THEY'RE ABOUT TO GIVE A WORLD TITLE SHOT, TOO! GRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!
They don't tell you that because the guy writing stuff on the website isn't the same each time.
I've seen someone on twitter being proud of what he wroted for ROHwrestling.com (i think it was something about a Top Prospect Tournament participant), so he probably don't do it regularly.
They just pay someone different for every articles but since they don't watch the product too closely, they won't point all the logical steps of the stories. Even worst, they don't post them in a chronological order and don't take the time to correct what is written... And i think it is important to write good articles on the websit since they can't remind you what happened during the TV shows that are taped well in advance and they discontinued "Inside ROH" anyway.
I didn't remembered all those Sydal win and i really thought he only has a title shot because of his win over Cole.
I agree with the last part too, but i don't think you erased everything with just one loss on a six man tag.
supersonic wrote:"Relax," "it's just wrestling," "why not nitpick other companies too?" is the mentality that reeks of low standards, justifies wrestling continuing to be a low-income attraction niche, and has TNA in its current predicament.

A great artist holds himself to such scrutiny and doesn't just point at the financial books, but at the critical aesthetics just as much if not more. Doing so would make him no different than Michael Bay, Kevin Nash, and other lazy artists that share such a similar mentality.
They see the attendances growing, they sold out almost every shows, they have a lot more money than before, they have absolutely zero reason to change anything right now just because ten people complain on a random forum, unfortunately.
DXvsNWO1994 wrote:Check out the nugget I've highlighted in bold at the bottom:
Are we supposed to know her ?
ImageImage
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

if you like joshi wrestling...yeah

ps: njpw book moose better than roh.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

AssShooter wrote:
DXvsNWO1994 wrote:Check out the nugget I've highlighted in bold at the bottom:
Are we supposed to know her ?
I don't know who she is. Guess they're just bringing in another random Joshi like they did in Las Vegas last year.