How would people feel if Kurt Angle came to ROH?

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Mike Adamle

How would people feel if Kurt Angle came to ROH?

Post by Mike Adamle »

He's now wrestled his last match for TNA and is now the hottest free agent in wrestling. ROH needs to sign somebody to create some buzz for the promotion. The New Japan deal is wearing thin. But with Kurt Angle on the roster it opens up a whole new realm of possibilities.

Firstly, you'd have a former WWE champion, face of the attitude era, and he could be the replacement of AJ Styles to ROH.

Secondly, a lot of dream matches could take place. Kurt Angle vs. Roderick Strong is a big one, but also Kurt Angle vs. Michael Elgin, Kurt Angle vs. Jay Lethal, Kurt Angle vs. Adam Cole, Kurt Angle vs. Kyle O'Reilly, Kurt Angle vs. Silas Young, Kurt Angle vs. ACH, Kurt Angle vs. Christopher Daniels (Which for whatever reason was barely ever done in TNA,) Kurt Angle vs. Jay Briscoe, and a personal dream match of mine, Kurt Angle vs. Matt Sydal.

Thirdly, Kurt Angle would now become a part of the New Japan relationship and in the process we might see Kurt Angle vs. Kazuchika Okada, Kurt Angle vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi, Kurt Angle vs. Kota Ibushi, Kurt Angle vs. KUSHIDA, Kurt Angle vs. Tomohiro Ishii, Kurt Angle vs. Hirooki Goto, Kurt Angle vs. Tetsuya Naito, Kurt Angle vs. Togi Makabe, Kurt Angle vs. Kenny Omega, Kurt Angle vs. Jushin Liger, Kurt Angle vs. Toru Yano, Kurt Angle vs. Beretta, and a personal dream match of mine, Kurt Angle vs. Katsuyori Shibata.

Fourth, Kurt is a great teacher, so many young talent could learn from him.

And fifth, Kurt is very underrated on the mic. And he's been in the business for forever now, he could probably take over for Delirious as booker as well.
BlackLesnar wrote:Seriously though, I completely agree with Mike.
Mr. Mojo Risin wrote:
Mike Adamle wrote:Should've named this show "Masters of the Roll Up"
This is the best post ever by Adamle. I laughed my ass off at this.
dhads7161

Re: How would people feel if Kurt Angle came to ROH?

Post by dhads7161 »

I'd be indifferent to it. I know not a lot of people like TNA but his "retirement" in TNA feels like it means something. While I would love to see him match up agaist guys like Strong, Cole, Lethal, Daniels, Castle it would just tarnish the farewell he did in TNA, a company he apparently was really grateful for. And would he be worth it? We've seen from his time in TNA that he never really drew for them (nobody did, may be just the company though) and if he's not going to be a draw, what would be the point in briniging him in?
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

I would like it selfishly but I think Kurt Angle should really retire for his own good.

If he really has to continue, a few spread out dates for ROH wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. If he tries to do what Styles did last year with ROH, NJPW, and indies I think it would kill him.

I wince every time he does certain moves. Would rather not see another Misawa.

I do think he would draw in terms of selling tickets and PPV buys, at least for his first 2-3 matches. Like the Hardys, he would draw much better outside the TNA environment.
The Dragon Saga

Post by The Dragon Saga »

I think It'd be cool if he came in and put some people over, but the chances of him doing that are null I would think. That said there is a lot of potential in matches such as Angle vs. Cole, Angle vs. Lethal, Angle vs. O'Reilly - especially Angle vs. Strong II - so I'd be all for it. It'd draw a lot of buzz too and would probably send the TNA smart mark contingency into insanity. TNAMecca would crumble in disgust of Angle wrestling for ROH, It'd be great.
JigsawVs.Jason

Post by JigsawVs.Jason »

I'd be absolutely disgusted. He's a broken down big name that cannot go in the ring anymore. A big NO, thank you, for me.
"If anyone complains about how today's pro wrestling isn't as good as the past and isn't watching New Japan, their opinions have no validity." ~ Dave Meltzer
Northwoods_Nightmare

Post by Northwoods_Nightmare »

I think a one-off at SCOH or something would be cool for the novelty of it, but not more than that. At this point you could get better match quality out of someone else, and bringing him in repeatedly would leave a bad taste in my mouth.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

O'Reilly is still looking for a major singles victory. This would fit the bill; make it a clear, clean tap out finish too.
AssShooter

Post by AssShooter »

If he can have a great match, don't win against everyone, don't cost too much compared to the fans he can attract, why not ?
But i can see a ton of other wrestlers i would bring in before him for far less money.
ImageImage
AndyDiaz

Post by AndyDiaz »

I know this is somewhat off subject, but I vaguely remember a rumor for a Bryan/Angle match before Angle went to TNA. Truth to this?
Thelone

Post by Thelone »

That was in PWG I believe.
http://thelone.be/ => My site, which means a bunch of random stuff really.
Northwoods_Nightmare

Post by Northwoods_Nightmare »

Yes, I believe it was booked, and then TNA pulled him.
This was back when Angle was still tearing it up. Would have been a real dream match.
Brada

Post by Brada »

Angle/Roddy could be off the charts. Dream matchup for sure.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

I think bringing Kurt Angle for a big advertised match on PPV would be a large achievement for ROH—that is if both parties are up for the arrangement. Kurt Angle’s health is very much an issue. I’m not sure if he should be working the main event or co-main event match any longer.
Brada

Post by Brada »

Wilson wrote:I think bringing Kurt Angle for a big advertised match on PPV would be a large achievement for ROH—that is if both parties are up for the arrangement. Kurt Angle’s health is very much an issue. I’m not sure if he should be working the main event or co-main event match any longer.
Totally agree. +1
Brada

Post by Brada »

I would also say that Angle would need to "do the honors" for whomever they would put him against to elevate the opponent even more...
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

It would be totally awesome. Obviously it'd be ideal for Kurt to lose clean, but even if he won't lose clean, I think it'd be worth it.
Leo C

Post by Leo C »

I wouldn't mind a match or two.
Buzz Sawyer

Post by Buzz Sawyer »

He's too injured to do anything, probably would be booed out of any smart mark building.
JTCole

Re: How would people feel if Kurt Angle came to ROH

Post by JTCole »

Kurt wouldn't get the Jeff Hardy treatment.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

Based on the list Mike Adamle had, uh no. Angle would be crippled.

A one off match? Okay.