Official 14th Anniversary Show (PPV) Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
dhads7161

Re: Official 14th Anniversary Show (PPV) Thread

Post by dhads7161 »

Burnside wrote:
187_Joeism wrote:What´s next for Lethal? I guess now Kyle and Cole will finish their feud and then they will do Lethal vs Kyle. Maybe Sydal for SCOH?
They can't do Lethal vs Kyle. They've completely killed Kyle as a main event singles act. It was sad to see him begging for a reaction.
Actually with O'Reilly not being pinned that keeps him alive as a main eventer for a title shot on a VOD show. SCOH would probably be good to finish both O'Reilly's title chase and the Strong vs. Fish feud.
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

Sure, O'Reilly can challenge on a VOD show. He's finished as a PPV main eventer though.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

Burnside wrote:Sure, O'Reilly can challenge on a VOD show. He's finished as a PPV main eventer though.
Agreed. He's beyond salvageable at this point. His whiny persona will do him no good any further to main event a PPV.
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

Mr. Mojo Risin wrote:
Burnside wrote:Sure, O'Reilly can challenge on a VOD show. He's finished as a PPV main eventer though.
Agreed. He's beyond salvageable at this point. His whiny persona will do him no good any further to main event a PPV.
They can probably salvage him with a heel turn, but there's no spot for him as a heel right now. It might be possible to double-term him with Lethal (who gets more cheers than O'Reilly anyway).
JTCole

Post by JTCole »

Is it too much to ask to get ACH in a main event feud with Lethal?
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

Anybody know who won the dark match? I have to score it for the fantasy league.
Buzz Sawyer

Post by Buzz Sawyer »

Burnside wrote:Good show. Not a great show, but everything was at least decent to very good.

In terms of storyline advancement, surprisingly skippable apart from MCMG re-forming.
Sounds like I should be glad that I didn't deprive my sleep by staying up to watch this.
JTCole

Post by JTCole »

I don't think ROH PPV's should be huge storyline advancers anyway. Storyline enders yes, for the most part due to how few there are a year.
Buzz Sawyer

Post by Buzz Sawyer »

ROHFan25 wrote:Good tip on the PS4 thing...I think $25 is what they should be charging for PPVs. $45 in this economy when everything else wrestling related is way cheaper+better value.

And again, I agree with you a match doesn't have to go 15+ to hit that ****+ range, but it does make things way more difficult. Excluding the Bucks the only one I can think of off the top of my head was Ishii/Shibata 1.

I just feel like ROH always drops the ball on all of these big shows, and while some of it has to do with the booking...it's not all on Delirious. I don't know what it is. ROH just doesn't really click for me anymore. It's weird. Maybe I'm alone on that who knows
I'm an old territory fan from the early 80's and just got back into ROH after about a 8 year absence. I agree with you about the fact that ROH isn't the same in this day and age. It might be part booking, part of talent ( Young Bucks are a channel changer for me and Moose wouldn't have even gotten a sniff in ROH 8 years ago). They really don't do a good job in developing lower & mid-card wrestlers anymore. Caprice Coleman & Silas Young should be more important and Castle needs to be more then comedy act at this stage in the game. Prime example is Cedric Alexander and he either is out of favor right now (not even on the PPV) or they don't know what to do with him right now. His storyline has really run it's course and maybe they won't do much with him since he went to the NXT tryouts for the Cruiserweight tournament. The thing I loved about the territory days was that they knew on how to build a story. Look at the Rich/Sawyer feud as an example. Their feud was 2+ years that ended in the Last Battle of Atlanta. Another is the Ole/Dusty "big turn of 1980" It was over a year in the making with Ole gaining trust from the other babyfaces and at just at the right time, Dusty agrees to team with his most hated rival in Ole in the cage match to get back at a common enemy and boom, you get maybe the end/new beginning of the best angle of the 1980's. I think a lot has to do with the fact that the "Crash TV" mindset and everything has to be rushed due to the fact that either bookers either don'y know on how to build a beginning, middle and ending to a story or it's because the Fans in the world of "got to have it now" mentality, can't wait for a proper story to develop and are too impatient. It's a shame, especially with promotions thtt are more incline to work together more and more these days and with all the talent at their disposal, you should be able to draw out a storyline longer and build a proper middle and ending, instead of hot shotting basically everything.
ROHFan25

Post by ROHFan25 »

I'm not an old territory fan, just a 24 year old kid who likes wrestling. That being said, I agree with you 100% that the main reason I can't get into the product anymore is the booking, or lack thereof of good stories. ROH doesn't really give me a reason to care about anything.

We have a heel champion who is made to look weak because in every defense no matter who it is, Martini interferes. It's basically the Seth Rollins run.

Tag champs nobody cares about. TV Champion is Ishii, so I'll wait until he drops it to judge.

Castle should get a big push. Moose also should get a big push IMO because he's one of the few faces left to face Lethal who can actually get over with the crowd. I'm not saying he's championship material, I'm just saying he's pretty damn good considering his experience level.

The last ROH angle that I really cared about was Adam Cole/Jay Briscoe that concluded at FB 2014. I just don't like Delirious as a booker. He's not Cornette bad but a ton of people on here give him a pass for no reason.

Give me good storylines so that I can care about the matches and I'll be happy.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

They need to cut down on the number of matches on the PPV. This is ROH. It's ridiculous that only one match went more than fifteen minutes, and the TV Title and tag titles getting less than twenty minutes combined is even worse. They should stick to no more than seven matches per PPV.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

Big Red Machine wrote:They need to cut down on the number of matches on the PPV. This is ROH. It's ridiculous that only one match went more than fifteen minutes, and the TV Title and tag titles getting less than twenty minutes combined is even worse. They should stick to no more than seven matches per PPV.
Yep. Pretty much everyone is united on this topic. Page/Whitmer went longer than either of those matches. WTF?
Reaper G

Post by Reaper G »

Burnside wrote:Anybody know who won the dark match? I have to score it for the fantasy league.
Silas Young over Will Ferrara, Gedo, and Cheeseburger.
Tars Tarkas

Post by Tars Tarkas »

Mr. Mojo Risin wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:They need to cut down on the number of matches on the PPV. This is ROH. It's ridiculous that only one match went more than fifteen minutes, and the TV Title and tag titles getting less than twenty minutes combined is even worse. They should stick to no more than seven matches per PPV.
Yep. Pretty much everyone is united on this topic. Page/Whitmer went longer than either of those matches. WTF?
As soon as I saw the number of matches announced for the show I expected nothing else.

I am starting to really hate what ROH has become. Am so sick of so many potentially great matches being given nowhere near enough time. It happens on house shows and ppv's. ROH was always about great matches that were given time to build. Now that is really a rarity on an ROH show.

PWG and Evolve are way more entertaining to watch at the moment. Even WWE PPV's are better. On Delirious first show in charge after the Cornette era finished (Glory by Honor in 2012) he gave matches decent time. Main event went over 30. Lethal Richards went 23 mins, and Cole-Edwards just short of 20. I wonder whether this trend of having really quick 10 minute matches and main events going under 15 mins is something that has been forced upon him, or whether he just thinks that wrestling fans have zero attention span and that these are the kinds of shows we want?

I have been buying ROH dvds for years. Have every show from 2004 to the present day. I have NEVER been nearer to giving up on ROH than I am now.
Northwoods_Nightmare

Post by Northwoods_Nightmare »

The ROH Championship was very well booked over the last few years in my opinion, but really fell off the wagon since Lethal won it (no fault to Lethal). The also took what was a hot personal feud with Cole/O'Reilly and dragged it out too long and not giving O'Reilly nearly enough singles wins. Everyone was really hot for O'Reilly or Cole as next world champ right about now, but that's obviously died off killing the feud before it's definitively ended, and leaving Lethal without a good contender.
They should have given either Cole or O'Reilly a definitive win a Final Battle and ended the feud when it was still hot. Then you would have had a really strong contender to take on Lethal now.
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

Reaper G wrote:
Burnside wrote:Anybody know who won the dark match? I have to score it for the fantasy league.
Silas Young over Will Ferrara, Gedo, and Cheeseburger.
Thank you
Brada

Post by Brada »

Northwoods_Nightmare wrote:The ROH Championship was very well booked over the last few years in my opinion, but really fell off the wagon since Lethal won it (no fault to Lethal). The also took what was a hot personal feud with Cole/O'Reilly and dragged it out too long and not giving O'Reilly nearly enough singles wins. Everyone was really hot for O'Reilly or Cole as next world champ right about now, but that's obviously died off killing the feud before it's definitively ended, and leaving Lethal without a good contender.
They should have given either Cole or O'Reilly a definitive win a Final Battle and ended the feud when it was still hot. Then you would have had a really strong contender to take on Lethal now.

I completely agree here. Not trying to defend Lizard Man, but as to why not making the change, my best guess would be that he thinks its too soon to put the strap back on Cole, and he didnt have the guts to pull the trigger on O'Reilly.

Makes me wonder now what the direction will be. I really hope what I have been reading isn't true about Lethal/Dijak and the double turn.

While a face Lethal would provide different matchups, I don't see money in Lethal as a face champion. Much more entertaining playing the heel role IMO.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Regarding the PPV, match quality is just below where it needs to be and storyline payoffs/origination were far under par. It’s hard to recommend this as a three hour package in terms of temporal value; I simply wouldn’t recommend buying their PPVs regularly at their cost value.

Regarding the results, I think Lethal is their most complete champion in a number of years and I’m relieved he retained in a fairly good match. Jay Lethal and Adam Cole in a singles match still seems to me their readily available big draw for Best in the World.
ColourMeCurious

Post by ColourMeCurious »

Nothing I didn't like on the PPV. I, somewhat, agree that I would like a few longer matches, but wasn't upset about it.

Okada-Moose was way better than I thought it would be.
Dalton-Goto was good. Wish it was a bit longer. I had Castle for the win because Goto is Goto, but reading the TV spoilers, I get it now.
I liked the TV title. I think they put the Strong-Fish feud on hold for this match, as they were both going for the title win more than trying to beat the hell out of each other.
I didn't see the MCMG getting back together. Definitely thought there was a swerve there.
Kushida is just so good. I love him.
The tag title match had no chance. Following The Elite is just too tough. But ANX-WM did what they could.
Main Event was good. Loved the finish.
The Dragon Saga

Post by The Dragon Saga »

Having finally seen the show fully now (I was working Friday night, couldn't watch live and struggled to find the time to watch it the last couple of days) but here are my basic thoughts.

- I didn't like Sam's Town as a venue. I think that the enhanced production in the Orleans Arena - the one GFW used, not the conference room from last year - would have looked special and could have added to the show. That said the stage, lights, etc, all looked good and it enhanced the show through entrances and such. I loved the smoke on the stage for Kenny Omega's in particular and think it gave a grungy feel which is how I used to view ROH in the old days.

- My big negative match wise is the time given to some of the matches, they tried to put a lot into the show and it was obviously constrained, that said however I'm not necessarily mad about it as others seem to be as the fact is, New Japan's presence is what lengthened the show because ROH had to fit those guys in while fitting in their own guys and continuing feuds. It's a thing where the show COULD have been better had some matches been given more time, but it's not like it would have been a whole lot better even had they had one extra hour.

- Match placement was poor. I don't think the TV title should ever open a PPV. I also think ANX vs. War Machine would have been better suited for that spot or even after Castle/Goto, but before the World title match was stupid and the match paid for it. Its a prime example of match placement hurting a show, which they SHOULD have learnt following Final Battle with War Machine/Kingdom. I like War Machine but that's two duds in their reign thus far for me and they need to do more than just squash jobbers.

- I'm happy that Moose/Okada was as good as it was and that the fans were obviously behind Moose too. If you still believe Moose either isn't worthy of the spot he has, a larger spot or that he isn't talented, you're wrong. I'm not going to argue with you, you're simply, flat out, 100% wrong. Dude is a star and if he continues down this path could be a future ROH World Champion.

- I think MCMG reunion should have had a better build. I don't understand why they didn't have Sabin act more heel-ish where he faced Shelley, Shelley would win and after Sabin would realize that he is wrong and that would lead to what happened at the PPV. Instead it seems like Sabin was a bitch the entire time and is making a knee jerk decision to reform the "band" as some say. That said I think MCMG in name sake alone will add to an already stacked tag team division but hopefully both guys can remain injury free and start building some momentum.

- Matt Sydal is awesome. Does this need to be said? I know some say Jay Briscoe is the most over face on the roster, but I honestly think Sydal should have that spot. How can you not like the guy?

- I was happy Goto was as over as he was when he initially came out. For all the shit he got when they announced him it certainly seems like a much more different fanbase showed up for the 14th Anniversary than the ones online. Also, I laughed reading the thoughts on this topic where people are complaining that Castle lost to Goto - who the fuck expected Castle to beat Goto?

- Subtle, but Kevin Kelly referenced Lethal/HOT's new found formation with Los Ignorables (sp? I know I butchered that).

- Kenny Omega doesn't have the name power to fill AJ Styles' boots, but he certainly has the talent.

- Main Event - again for something that got so much shit - would up being very good. One of the better three way matches I've seen in the last few years, especially for the time they had. Lethal retained, as I predicted and as many said wouldn't happen, but I never thought he would lose it for a second. I also don't think he'll lose it any time soon and think he'll have it all the way until Final Battle this year because ROH needs to build someone up to take it, whether that be Moose, Dalton Castle, Adam Cole or someone else, I don't think it matters that much, just someone needs to be built.

- As I previously mentioned, there was a lot on this show, but still I felt Silas Young having NO INVOLVEMENT was a bit disappointing. Why wasn't he on commentary for Castle/Goto? They let Brian Kendrick who hasn't been seen in ROH in over a year do commentary on a match where he didn't have much context but they didn't even put Silas on the show? That's something Delirious needs to look at.

Overall I thought the show was good. Nothing spectacular but it had its moments.