Supercard of Honor XI - Lakeland/Orlando, FL

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
The Dragon Saga

Re: Supercard of Honor XI - Lakeland/Orlando, FL

Post by The Dragon Saga »

Hopefully they can get a team who are free in to face The Guns. With all the talent in town that weekend surely they can find two guys who'd make sense.
dark patriot

Post by dark patriot »

Brada wrote:
Brada wrote:I would definitely take Yoshi-Hashi over the large hemorrhoid.....

at least its fun to say Yoshi-Hashi.
My bad, that was a bit too much. I find Jax Dane to be really, really awful, and Yoshi-Hashi to be incredibly vanilla.

I apologize if that came across offensively to anyone. I will apologize in advance though for my references to Ol' Vinny....I will continue to refer to him as Vinny Lasagna.

ive been calling him Vegetable Lasagna(Seinfeld reference) for years now.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

Is Alex Shelley healthy? He seems to have been not wrestling on a lot of the shows recently.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

Only place the Guns fit in my opinion is with the guys from the international tag. Perhaps add them to that or even make it a six man put Dragon Lee with Ospreay & Valodor and the Guns with White. Feel free to scoff at this idea....another dream scenario The Guns vs. Pentagon & Fenix, now that would be a score.
project161

Post by project161 »

Big Red Machine wrote:Is Alex Shelley healthy? He seems to have been not wrestling on a lot of the shows recently.
He has been banged up for a long time from injuries such as a fractured skull, sciatica, damaged teeth on different occasions, collarbone just offhand and has considered retirement at various points over the last few years. He also noticeably takes less bumps on shows over the last year, not that I blame him having just recapped everything that I have. Wouldn't be surprised if he asked for some time off. Sabin on the other hand seems like he has found a resurgence coming off of his two ACL injuries in the last 5-6 years.
"dhads7161" wrote:Only place the Guns fit in my opinion is with the guys from the international tag. Perhaps add them to that or even make it a six man put Dragon Lee with Ospreay & Valodor and the Guns with White. Feel free to scoff at this idea....another dream scenario The Guns vs. Pentagon & Fenix, now that would be a score.
That would make more sense, making the match a six man especially with White's already established alliance with White. Obviously as you said, it is a dream scenario, but I would not count on Pentagon & Fenix due to them working CZW which goes head to head with ROH (although there would be a difference in time depending on when the matches go on seeing as ROH starts at 6-6:30 and CZW starts at 8:30.)
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

I found out some interesting tidbits reading this...
project161 wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:Is Alex Shelley healthy? He seems to have been not wrestling on a lot of the shows recently.
He has been banged up for a long time from injuries such as a fractured skull, sciatica, damaged teeth on different occasions, collarbone just offhand and has considered retirement at various points over the last few years. He also noticeably takes less bumps on shows over the last year, not that I blame him having just recapped everything that I have. Wouldn't be surprised if he asked for some time off. Sabin on the other hand seems like he has found a resurgence coming off of his two ACL injuries in the last 5-6 years.
"dhads7161" wrote:Only place the Guns fit in my opinion is with the guys from the international tag. Perhaps add them to that or even make it a six man put Dragon Lee with Ospreay & Valodor and the Guns with White. Feel free to scoff at this idea....another dream scenario The Guns vs. Pentagon & Fenix, now that would be a score.
...then I read this...
project161 wrote:That would make more sense, making the match a six man especially with White's already established alliance with White.
Was Jay White suffering from an identity crisis I didn't know about and was feuding with himself?
project161

Post by project161 »

Whoops. Meant The Guns alliance with White of course although would be fine with a Jay White/Leon White alliance. Would be fitting with Ospreay as well.

Really though, those are at least some of the injuries that Shelley has discussed in the past. Would not be surprised if there were a lot more that went unmentioned. At least Sabin has had a bit of a comeback in the ring after some slightly off years due to his own injuries from the two ACL tears to also messing up his back at least a couple times over the last couple years.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

project161 wrote:Whoops. Meant The Guns alliance with White of course although would be fine with a Jay White/Leon White alliance. Would be fitting with Ospreay as well.

Really though, those are at least some of the injuries that Shelley has discussed in the past. Would not be surprised if there were a lot more that went unmentioned. At least Sabin has had a bit of a comeback in the ring after some slightly off years due to his own injuries from the two ACL tears to also messing up his back at least a couple times over the last couple years.
It was a great post, I just chuckled at that part. I know how it is, man. Been guilty of it myself.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

How about Sabin vs. the returning Matt Sydal? Or is ROH done with him?
King of Indy Style

Post by King of Indy Style »

I for one would love to see Sydal come back. I genuinely hope ROH didn't shitcan him. He always gave consistently very good matches.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

King of Indy Style wrote:I for one would love to see Sydal come back. I genuinely hope ROH didn't shitcan him. He always gave consistently very good matches.
I wish they would have done more with Sydal & ACH as a tag team. I really enjoyed them as a pair.
The Dragon Saga

If someone wasn't preventing Sydal from coming back, he'd be back. He and Delirious are like best friends. It's probably on the Sinclair end, being so conservative and all they probably don't like the idea of associating themselves with Sydal after the Japan incident.

As for Alex Shelley, he only wrestles for Ring of Honor nowadays so I'm not sure what's happening with him. He is a bit of an odd character. Not making any assumptions, but yeah, he seems to come down pretty hard on himself sometimes. I'm still of the mind he deserves a big run in Ring of Honor, but that said, with Sabin being at every show and busting his ass at that, I also feel he should too. An MCMG tag title reign should happen at some point.
Brada

Post by Brada »

King of Indy Style wrote:I for one would love to see Sydal come back. I genuinely hope ROH didn't shitcan him. He always gave consistently very good matches.
Sydal really loves his marijuana. He is even willing to sit in a jail cell for it.
Brada

Post by Brada »

I will continue my thoughts from the contracts/potential departures thread here as it pertains to Orlando....

I think there is something to the timing between moving this show to IPPV and the WWE/SBG talks. My hunch is that some form of discussion took place at a very early level, with nothing ever seriously moving forward from that stage. As to whether it was a talk of obtaining footage, or whether it was something more significant up to an acquisition, I think those discussions were extremely premature and in the very early stages of even possibly coming to fruition.

I am also one to believe that someone from Stamford "leaked" this info, or dare I say even purposely put it out there to cast doubt on any ROH longevity, and to keep the wrestling pulse firmly with WWE heading into the Super Bowl week of wrestling coming in a few days.

Here is what I think ROH has done since. I think they were previously on the fence in terms of deciding whether to put the show on IPPV, Fite app, or whatever. There was NEVER a thought to putting it on PPV. There isn't a wrestling company in the world that would be dumb enough to put a show together during Mania weekend. The majority of the target demographic (that are NOT Network subscribers) is in an economic position to have entertainment income to invest into 1 PPV, and the vast majority of those folks are buying Mania.

However, I think the target audience with ROH is a bit different. I think the majority of the ROH followers ARE subscribers to the Network already, so there are some extra dollars to be made as it pertains to us.

I think ROH is trying to capitalize on the WWE/SBG rumors and maybe trying to grab the attention of the ROH faithful during the big weekend, while maybe trying to pull in a few new viewers that aren't familiar with the ROH product and have heard the news about these supposed WWE/SBG talks.

There are a couple of ways to do that and satisfy multiple clicks within your audience...

IF the Hardy's are going to show up at Mania Sunday, which there are many that think they will...ROH is doing the right thing by putting them in a high profile match BEFORE they hit the big stage in Orlando. The ladder match will deliver, be an over the top main event with crazy spots, resulting in the Bucks grabbing all their belts back, and putting them back at the top of the tag scene....

So that would satisfy the "new" target audience coming from WWE, giving them something spectacular to see and some bang for their buck.

In terms of all of us smart marks that think we know everything...I think there are a couple of ways to go to get folks buzzing.

I think you put Cody/Lethal in an absolute old school blood bath that gets the crowd frenzied, but make sure they go on late...semi-main right before the ladder match.

I have Kaz/Martinez on early, and have something minor happen to Kaz that would keep him from showing his face the rest of the show. Have him turn an ankle, tweek a knee, take a chairshot from Martinez, just something to get him outta there.

I think you put on Daniels/Castle a couple of matches after that. Have Daniels go over in a clean back and forth match followed by a promo that begins with complementing Castle, then transitioning into how matches like that reminds him of what ROH was built on, competition, and having home grown stars not built under a corporate umbrella like WWE. Then have him say "Speaking of the big corporate umbrella"....and have him go into a passionate tirade of how ROH will never sell out to "sports entertainment"......get the crowd good and worked up, then........

Without music, unannounced, through the crowd, bring out the Bullet Club....All of them. The Bucks, Cole, Cody, Guerillas of Destiny, Page....every BC member there....

Have them beat the ever living hell out of Daniels. NO color, save that for the Cody/Lethal match that follows....and don't drag it out too long, because if you do, everyone would suspect Lethal, Briscoes, Bully Ray, Hardy's, whomever to come running out. Don't want that....just a quick to the point vicious beat down of Daniels until the lights go out (which will make the crowd think that here come the faces), but INSTEAD, throw up the Bullet Club logo comes up on the screen in a tight camera shot....once the camera pans out, its Kenny Omega. Lights come back on....and the Cleaner talks about how he is coming to clean up ROH, and he is coming for gold, Daniels gold, and he plans to take it at WOTW. BUT.........before the segment is over, and since he is the "Cleaner", there is some trash he needs to go ahead and take out now, the then starts singing Cole's old music lyrics "I've got something for ya, I've got something for you".........and BAM.....Super Kicks to Adam Cole BAY BAY......laying him out, right next to Daniels (who is still out) and the ROH strap is draped over the both of them laying side by side with Omega saying "IT'S RRRREEEEAAAALLLLLL".

I think that would create some positive buzz....puts Omega straight into the Main Event scene, and brings some closure to the issues with Cole, as it looks that they won't be able to have the match everyone wants them to with Cole moving to Full Sail.....

I think if they were to pull this off, or anything similar to it...it would make the new viewers feel good about the money they spent, and bring them back to see more. For the faithful viewer, it would create buzz and give something positive moving forward....

That's my two cents...
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

Brada wrote:
Sydal really loves his marijuana. He is even willing to sit in a jail cell for it.
I miss Sydal. He has been consistently good to great wherever he has wrestled since leaving the WWE. As far as his marijuana issue, I am assuming Sydal uses that to cope with the pain from wrestling over abusing painkillers that can create a dependency problem and can kill you. I have seen first hand what abusing painkillers can do to a person and it ain't fucking pretty. Sydal had a pretty fucking severe injury while in the WWE, not to mention the mental pain of having to do a job to Mason Ryan, but I digress. I am uncertain of what his Wellness violations were in the WWE, but I am quite positive it did not have to do with marijuana. If SBG has a stick up their ass because of outdated views on marijuana, the fans and Sydal suffer. Pretty much the kind of hypocritical bullshit I would expect out of a corporation that supported Trump.
Brada

Post by Brada »

doing the job to Mason Ryan....lmao. Totally forgot about that meathead until you mentioned his name. Good stuff.

I'm not one to debate chemical dependency or whether marijuana is or isn't a drug and all that stuff. I just think its foolish knowing that he took a risk putting himself in that situation, knowing the potential repercussions of his actions, and he chose to take the chance anyway. Smh.

Mojo, I am with you in regards to your painkiller statement. I too know of someone that went down an ugly path as a result. There are also a couple of great wrestlers who ruined their careers as a result, even a couple of former ROH greats.

I think Sydal is a great talent. Wasn't his injury during the Evan Bourne days from a motorcycle injury or am I dreaming that?

Anyway, I can't concentrate, I'm still laughing about Mason Ryan. lol, my god he was awful.
project161

Post by project161 »

Sydal only has one booking all WM weekend on an indie show on the Thursday against Shannon Moore I believe. Additionally, if ROH wanted him, they would use him with him being based in Tampa, down the highway from where the show is. At this point, they probably washed their hands of him in addition to other factors potentially such as him perhaps costing too much seeing as ROH has shown cutting costs with certain talents recently.
The Dragon Saga

project161 wrote:such as him perhaps costing too much seeing as ROH has shown cutting costs with certain talents recently.
I haven't see any indication of this at all. In fact, didn't Meltzer say The Hardyz are making pretty good money for their deals? I doubt Ray is working for nothing either, plus The Young Bucks signed new 2 year deals, as did Lethal, and O'Reilly was reportedly offered something like $84,000 to stay on.

ROH didn't coincidentally stop using Sydal when he just so happened to get busted for possessing weed in Japan.
maxx_powerz

Post by maxx_powerz »

With all the talent they have lost recently, it seems crazy not to use Sydal to bolster the midcard. I just don't get why NJPW would care so much about Sydal in ROH.

Obviously they have different styles, but I think he'd be a good fill-in for Fish's spot.
project161

Post by project161 »

The Dragon Saga wrote:
project161 wrote:such as him perhaps costing too much seeing as ROH has shown cutting costs with certain talents recently.
I haven't see any indication of this at all. In fact, didn't Meltzer say The Hardyz are making pretty good money for their deals? I doubt Ray is working for nothing either, plus The Young Bucks signed new 2 year deals, as did Lethal, and O'Reilly was reportedly offered something like $84,000 to stay on.

ROH didn't coincidentally stop using Sydal when he just so happened to get busted for possessing weed in Japan.
Mike Bennett was let go due to not wanting to pay him as much. Moose got a higher money offer from TNA. Wouldn't be surprised if Fish potentially leaving is due to money in some regards as with other talents that have left.

Hardys bring more name value overall, although I don't know how much of it will be returned necessarily. I guess Ray does to some extent, but not in a way that I would imagine would be worth whatever they are paying him. Bucks and Lethal they have invested a lot in, Bucks in terms of money to keep them on the roster while Lethal they have in terms of building him up and keeping him as an "ace" of theirs.