Supercard of Honor XI - Lakeland/Orlando, FL

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Mr. Mojo Risin

Re: Supercard of Honor XI - Lakeland/Orlando, FL

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

Big Red Machine wrote:
Mr. Mojo Risin wrote:
I thoroughly enjoyed your review BRM. You are the only other guy on here who just gets batshit crazy over Kevin Kelly and Todd Sinclair like I do.
Thanks.
I usually find Sinclair to be inoffensive, but Kevin Kelly just utterly astounds me.
Yeah, but you're the only guy who calls out Sinclair's officiating fuck ups.

Additionally, you hate Vinnie Lasagna for the exact same reasons I do. The fact he is on the roster is a bad joke.
Brada

Post by Brada »

Shoot wise,

Bobby Fish on the card was a bit of a surprise. I was backstage an hour before the show, and at that point I had not seen him.

I was told that the segment with Silas was booked on the fly....

Kind of funny they would take that from a kayfabe perspective.....lol.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

For me it was a total clusterfuck of an iPPV from production to the matches. It was one of the worst events ROH has put on in a long time for me, I'm including house shows in that as well reminded me of the awfulness that Best in the World last year and. Overall I was really disapointed especially since ROH had really delivered with the Anniversary PPV and I heard a lot of good things.

Even the main event felt very overbooked and the drama of ladder matches continues to decrease, which is such a shame.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Many of matches didn't allow you or the wrestlers to breath and mistakes were happening, communication was poor between many wrestlers and matches just didn't flow properly, to me anyway. The six man being the perfect example of this, I felt so much more could have been done with the CowBell Match, whoever came up with how the match should go just got it wrong especially from Lethals point of view. I did feel Castle had his best singles match though, and I hope I get to see more of Cody and Castle together because I think there could be something very good there.

To much happens in Ladder matches now for me to really care, it just becomes a stunt wreck rather than a wrestling ladder match. I think the best blend of a contemporary yet headted tag team ladder match came in the final of the Terri Invitational torunament match between Edge, Christian and the Hardy's, that too me had everything you wanted, even today, from a modern tag team ladder match.

The production had so many gafs from the tracking/boom cam constantly invading the space of hard cam, the fact there was no cammera of Cody's entrance to the ring was criminal considering most of the crowd and us at home couldn't see what he was doing and the fact that made a note of the Motorcycle being raffled off doesn't really do much for Cody's heel persona. Cues, cuts and messes in graphics as well as audio didn't help matters, then the constant use of the Pyro just made it seem naf in the end and gave nothing to entrances especially as it didn't vary.

Alot of these maybe just growing pains for ROH and in how they manage such an event, building and iPPV,

I think the fact that I can say this is one of the worst shows in a while is a testament to how far ROH has come.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

nah men...the show was great.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

I thought it was a fantastic show. The best one I watched from Wrestlemania weekend by far.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

It wasn't terrible, but it was very up and down. The great was pretty darn great, but the bad stuff was pretty darn bad.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

famicommander wrote:I thought it was a fantastic show. The best one I watched from Wrestlemania weekend by far.
Wow, have you watched the WM Weekend shows? EVOLVE 80, RevPro, PROGRESS and Wrestling Revolver's Pancakes and Piledrivers were better shows.

SCOH was fine (6.5/10) and easy to watch, but not the best show of the Weekend and not the best show this year for ROH. The only great match was the ME.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

It's a show I just couldn't really connect to or I just expected more, It might have been my expectations of the show, considering what ROH delivered previously at PPV and house show level. I may need to give it another watch and my opinion might be reviewed but right now I just didn't like it and I haven't even seen any other show from that weekend.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

AlexROH wrote:
famicommander wrote:I thought it was a fantastic show. The best one I watched from Wrestlemania weekend by far.
Wow, have you watched the WM Weekend shows? EVOLVE 80, RevPro, PROGRESS and Wrestling Revolver's Pancakes and Piledrivers were better shows.

SCOH was fine (6.5/10) and easy to watch, but not the best show of the Weekend and not the best show this year for ROH. The only great match was the ME.
I watched Evolve, RevPro, and, unfortunately, most of Wrestlmania and Takeover.

I thought it went
Supercard of Honor
RevPro
Evolve
Takeover

Wrestlemania
Brada

Post by Brada »

I thought RevPro was without question the show of the weekend.

I would put Mania at the bottom. So much so in fact, that I am thinking about skipping it all together next year. Still going to New Orleans for all the indy stuff, but skipping out on Mania unless something really draws me in. Time will tell.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

What I would like to see is Jay White vs Ospreay, I thought they had some good chemistry and I feel there could be something there for a very good match and I would like to see more of both of them together if I could
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

Apologies for being a little late on sharing this, but here's the review of Supercard of Honor XI on Voices of Wrestling:

http://www.voicesofwrestling.com/2017/0 ... ts-review/

I'm still working my way through the numerous 'Mania Weekend show, but as of now, the Ladder Match between The Hardys & The Young Bucks is still my match of the weekend, just ahead of the Team Ricochet vs. Team Ospreay Ten-Man Tag Team Match from the WrestleCon SuperShow (by the way, if you haven't seen that match already, you NEED to check it out!!).
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

I've watch 12/16 shows. I still have to watch shows from CZW, WCPW, Mercury Rising and Midnigh After Manía.

My top 5 matches this far are:

Team Ospreay vs Team Ricochet
Haskins vs Dunne
SPPT vs Callihan/Strickland
Hardys vs Bucks
Dijak & Elgin vs Catch Point
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Where's the blistering Rollins vs. HHH? How about Wyatt vs. Orton, which in no way made us embarrassed to be wrestling fans? Or the greatest retirement match of all-time, with the Dead Man going down in a swinging blaze of glory?
Big Red Machine

supersonic wrote:Where's the blistering Rollins vs. HHH? How about Wyatt vs. Orton, which in no way made us embarrassed to be wrestling fans? Or the greatest retirement match of all-time, with the Dead Man going down in a swinging blaze of glory?
I actually loved Rollins vs. Triple H.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

I also loved Triple H once again having a masturbatory, tone deaf Harley Race 1982 body part exhibition at a show in which everyone in attendance paid at least triple digits, rather than adjust to the strengths of Rollins to make sure he came out as a much bigger star.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

supersonic wrote:I also loved Triple H once again having a masturbatory, tone deaf Harley Race 1982 body part exhibition at a show in which everyone in attendance paid at least triple digits, rather than adjust to the strengths of Rollins to make sure he came out as a much bigger star.
Yep. This is accurate.
Big Red Machine

Mr. Mojo Risin wrote:
supersonic wrote:I also loved Triple H once again having a masturbatory, tone deaf Harley Race 1982 body part exhibition at a show in which everyone in attendance paid at least triple digits, rather than adjust to the strengths of Rollins to make sure he came out as a much bigger star.
Yep. This is accurate.
Really? Because it sounds more to me like some people just don't like slow methodical matches where a wrestler works a body part (unless of course those wrestlers are Japanese and/or New Japan regulars, which case it's the best match ever).
Yes, I understand the idea that you're supposed to play to what the crowd wants, but based on the story of the feud they really didn't have much choice, and even if they did, do we really want every match to be the same? If there is nothing wrong with the story of the match, I don't understand why the crowd didn't accept it.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Revisit HBK's return match against HHH, which involved non-sanction rules and back injury psychology, then get back to us.

HHH is showing in recent years some really grating stubbornness to adjust his in-ring philosophy. While it worked perfectly with an all-time technical and babyface wizard like Danielson, it didn't benefit Lesnar, Reigns, or Rollins, who needed their matches against him to be spectacles of different flavors with some true peaks-and-valleys like the mentioned classic against HBK.