Supercard of Honor XI - Lakeland/Orlando, FL

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
dhads7161

Re: Supercard of Honor XI - Lakeland/Orlando, FL

Post by dhads7161 »

Wonder if it would be better to drive out to Lakeland ourselves rather than take the bus. It will be a marathon of a day getting there at 2 or 4 and being there for the whole show. The WOH show doesn't even sound appealing. Then again I would like to meet Dalton and Liger at Festival of Honor.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

Brada wrote:No sir. Funny story though concerning Wale.

2 years ago in San Jose, I was at the Evolve show in the back meeting with a couple of folks about a job opportunity.

I am not a rap music guy at all. I mean outside the legends, I'm completely out of the loop.

Rich Swann got banged up pretty bad that afternoon in his tag match with Gargano to the point that they had to stop the match. When they got him to the back, there were a number of us standing on the loading dock in the back of the venue as they brought Rich back there to catch his breath and check on his ribs..

I was standing in a group with Hero, Uhaa, and a couple of other folks. One of the guys in this group is asking Rich if he needs to go to the ER, offering to take him.

He tells another guy to "pull it around" so they could take him to get x rays....A couple of minutes later, this big ass tour bus comes from around the corner, and this guy who Im standing next too has his face plastered all over the side of this tour bus, along with Rey Mysterio.

Turns out that guy I was standing next to was Wale (who I still had no idea who the hell that was). He had some party event in town with Mysterio that weekend.

He was a pretty excited fan, fairly nice guy for the 5 to 10 minutes I was standing next to him in conversation. I came back to work the next week and was telling some younger folks in my office about it and showing them some pictures and such, and I turned into the laugh of the office among them because I had (and still dont) any idea who Wale was.
Cool story. If it makes you feel any better, I don't know jack shit about Wale either. We're both outta the loop.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

First time ever ROH Texas Bull Rope match it's now official. Will Cody put Lethal over clean?

The eyes of the wrestling world will be on the Lakeland Center on Saturday, April 1 as stars from around the globe converge in Central Florida for SUPERCARD OF HONOR XI. Top competitors from Ring of Honor, New Japan Pro-Wrestling and CMLL will do battle in the biggest night of hard-hitting, fast-paced, in-your-face action in Ring of Honor history!

The ROH Executive Committee has already announced several big matches and first-time appearances from New Japan and CMLL stars, and now is excited to announce that bitter rivals “The American Nightmare” Cody and Jay Lethal will square off in a Texas Bullrope Match!

The challenge was issued by Cody at the recent international TV taping in Pittsburgh. Cody borrowed one of fellow Bullet Club member Hangman Page’s hangman’s ropes and said he was going to attach a cowbell to it -- a cowbell that had been in his family for 40 years and was used by his legendary father, “The American Dream” Dusty Rhodes, and Superstar Billy Graham in their classic Texas Bullrope Match at Madison Square Garden in 1978.

Lethal wasted no time accepting the challenge, as he has been champing at the bit to get his hands on Cody in a one-on-one match ever since their first meeting at the Final Battle pay-per-view in December ended in controversy.

Cody went hold-for-hold with the former ROH World Champion in what had been an exciting contest between two fantastic athletes. When Cody saw an opening, however, he showed his true colors.

The second-generation star kicked Lethal low and then hit Cross Rhodes to score a tainted victory. Cody put an exclamation point on his dishonorable debut in ROH by mocking Lethal and the fans after the match.

Shortly after Final Battle, Cody joined Bullet Club, a faction Lethal has been battling against since last May when he was among those on the receiving end of a brutal attack by the group.

Will Lethal settle the score with Cody at Supercard of Honor by defeating him in his father’s speciality match, or will Cody score another victory over one of ROH’s all-time biggest stars?
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

Has ROH done ANYTHING with Cody that doesn't revolve around either Bullet Club or Dusty?
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

What else would they do?
Brada

Post by Brada »

come up with a stardust rip off......lmao.
Big Red Machine

TYFDK wrote:What else would they do?
Some sort of thing that establishes him as his own man who doesn't need to leech off of the success of others?
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

Agree with the Dusty thing, though I think their hands were tied with the Bullet Club thing.
Big Red Machine

TYFDK wrote:Agree with the Dusty thing, though I think their hands were tied with the Bullet Club thing.
Probably, although I guess it just makes New Japan guilty of making the poor decision instead of ROH. It's kind of ironic, too, when you consider that Japan is the place that just being babyface Son of Dusty Rhodes would have worked best for Cody, but because New Japan wanted to put him in Bullet Club then ROH had to, also.
Brada

Post by Brada »

They could have put Cody in polka dots, said he is a common man, working hard as he can, he's an American Dream.....
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Overall underwhelming card so far. Further evidence when seeing how underwhelming the WM33 card is, that ROH is a poor man's WWE.

In this case though, ROH doesn't have a stacked talent roster that's being placed in undesirable matchups. This is just ROH being cheap and only bringing in 1 outside attraction act.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

Volador Jr., Dragon Lee and Will Ospreay are some of the best talents out there and ROH haven't announced a match for them.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

I suppose Ospreay vs. Lee would be sexy. Considering the show is at inconvenient location, I'd expect an all-time card in company history that on paper would look like Better Than Our Best, Glory Honor V Night 2, or Honor Takes Center Stage weekend.
King of Indy Style

Post by King of Indy Style »

Ospreay vs. Lee is happening at Manhattan Mayhem though. If they wanted to make it a #1 Contenders Match or something than it could work. And I hate to say it I don't see this being anything close to ROH's greatest stuff. All they brought in was Volador, Lee, Yoshi Hashi, Liger, and some Luchadoras that 95% of people won't care about. I see this as an above average show, at the best.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

King of Indy Style wrote:Ospreay vs. Lee is happening at Manhattan Mayhem though. If they wanted to make it a #1 Contenders Match or something than it could work. And I hate to say it I don't see this being anything close to ROH's greatest stuff. All they brought in was Volador, Lee, Yoshi Hashi, Liger, and some Luchadoras that 95% of people won't care about. I see this as an above average show, at the best.
1st time I've seen your new avatar. The Bobby Hill in Bullet Club T-Shirt is outstanding.
Brada

Post by Brada »

They are putting all their stock in Bucks/Hardy's delivering, and Castle winning the title in what they will bill as a "shocking surprise".....
Big Red Machine

supersonic wrote:Overall underwhelming card so far. Further evidence when seeing how underwhelming the WM33 card is, that ROH is a poor man's WWE.

In this case though, ROH doesn't have a stacked talent roster that's being placed in undesirable matchups. This is just ROH being cheap and only bringing in 1 outside attraction act.
I'm not disagreeing with your assessment of the quality of the card, but I think they might actually be right here in their assumption that Hardys vs. Bucks will on its own will be enough to draw people.
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

This is just ROH being cheap and only bringing in 1 outside attraction act.

Just because you're not excited for these attractions, doesn't mean there's only one.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

Yeah, and I'll say it again, Volador Jr. and Dragon Lee are two of the best luchadors in Mexico. If you've watched FantasticaMania or this year's NJPW New Beginning in Osaka, you know how good Dragon Lee is. On the other hand, Volador Jr. is also a great wrestler and he's having awesome matches recently.

I don't know a thing about neither of the luchadoras; but I think that they'll be part of the Women of Honor pre-show that I think they'll do. Jushin Liger is a legend. He won't give you an awesome match, but he's a draw and he still can go. One example would be his TV Title match against Lethal at SCOH two years ago (I rated ***3/4 and MOTN). HASHI is a a pretty good wrestler too; he's having bigger matches in Japan and he was in Europe last month.

Plus, you have The Hardys, Cody Rhodes, Marty Scurll, Will Ospreay and the ROH roster in its entirety. It won't be the best Supercard of Honor of all time; but hey, they have enough talent to make a pretty awesome show.
Brada

Post by Brada »

I would rather watch "the invisible man" booked on Joey Janela's show than watch YOSHI-HASHI..... :lol: