Supercard of Honor XI - Lakeland/Orlando, FL

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
supersonic

Re: Supercard of Honor XI - Lakeland/Orlando, FL

Post by supersonic »

Definitely kicking off with the big guns, I see.
Brada

Post by Brada »

King of Indy Style wrote:Probably Hardys/Bucks, I hope Okada/Tanahashi.
Putting a NJPW main event on an ROH show would be about as stupid as making a ROH World Title change on a NJPW show...so who knows.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

It would be a shot fired by both ROH and NJPW towards Paul Levesque. It would steal much of the thunder for WrestleMania weekend, which ROH has failed to do for numerous years. It could very possibly be the best match of WrestleMania weekend as well, which has also eluded ROH for years.

It's perfectly reasonable for anyone who's spending time and money on this show during their annual vacation, and having to basically dedicate an entire day of it due to location, to expect magical matches on par with Do Fixer vs. Blood Generation 2006, Jimmy Jacobs vs. BJ Whitmer 2007, and KENTA vs. Davey Richards 2009. Okada vs. Tanahashi has more than proven itself as a rivalry to be in that category, and arguably even better. It would be a special, surreal moment on par with Kobashi's 2005 matches.
Brada

Post by Brada »

They didn't not need to fire a shot at Triple H or WWE. They aren't trying to corner the market, they are providing an alternative that can make them profitable.

You don't capitalize on Wrestlemania weekend by providing a main event to the largest number of new customers in which all the participants aren't people you can provide regularly to those new customers who choose to return.

Plain and simple. Just as a title change on another company's show on another continent, that would be an incredibly poor business decision.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

brada men,everybody in the wrestling world knows tana and okada,is 2017..vod,njpw world,wwe network

that could be one of the best main events in roh history

imagine having a complain about a potential okada/tana match in america,that can be amazing.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

Another point to bring up about having Okada vs. Tanahashi at SCOH is that it could threaten the NJPW/ROH relationship. With NJPW running the U.S. in July, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't want anyone else booking that match in the U.S.
Brada

Post by Brada »

monster mafia wrote:brada men,everybody in the wrestling world knows tana and okada,is 2017..vod,njpw world,wwe network

that could be one of the best main events in roh history

imagine having a complain about a potential okada/tana match in america,that can be amazing.
One of the best ROH main events in history, and neither one is an ROH talent. No way that's the main event. It's Bucks-Hardy's
The Dragon Saga

Post by The Dragon Saga »

I said this in another topic, but I see Castle winning the title here. I think Cole will retain until this weekend and then ROH will go all out to shock the world during the Mania weekend, see: Jay Briscoe def. Kevin Steen at SCOH four years ago. Same idea, only Castle winning it would be a bit more of a surprise due to how he's booked, but would also make sense seeing as Cole is expected to depart in May.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

So that is your Okada vs Tana [cornette]
The eyes of the wrestling world will be on the Lakeland Center on Saturday April 1 as stars from around the globe converge in Central Florida for SUPERCARD OF HONOR XI. Stars from Ring of Honor, New Japan Pro-Wrestling, and CMLL will do battle throughout one of the biggest nights of hard-hitting, fast-paced, in-your-face action in Ring of Honor history!

The ROH Executive Committee has promised championships to be contended, first-time appearances from New Japan and CMLL, and is excited to announce the first round of ROH stars that have been signed to participate in the biggest Supercard of Honor, ever! Check back throughout each day next week as ROHWrestling.com celebrates Supercard of Honor Announcement Week with international participants revealed, championship matches signed, and information on how to meet all of your favorite ROH, NJPW, and CMLL stars!

Following the announcement of Dalton Castle receiving a ROH World Title Shot in Lakeland, the ROH Executive Committee is thrilled to announce the legendary JUSHIN “THUNDER” LIGER as the first New Japan Pro-Wrestling star to appear at Supercard of Honor XI!

Arguably the most famous and well known Japanese wrestler of all time, Jushin ”Thunder” Liger has an amazing track record across the world and within Ring of Honor. He has faced and defeated some of the greats in ROH history including Bryan Danielson and Low Ki. More recently, he engaged in tremendous battles with ROH World Champion Adam Cole and former champion Jay Lethal while serving as a mentor for Cheeseburger!

Liger is a world renowned superstar having competed in New Japan Pro-Wrestling, Stampede Wrestling, and World Championship Wrestling. His accomplishments in New Japan are second to none. Liger is a former 11-time IWGP Junior Heavyweight Champion and a 6-time IWGP Junior Heavyweight Tag Team Champion. He’s also won numerous championships in Mexico, Europe and the United States, including the WCW Light Heavyweight Championship.

Who will the legend face in his return to ROH? One of the all-time great junior heavyweights in professional wrestling history, there are a plethora of potential dream matches for Liger to take part in singles or tag team competition! Will it be a current ROH star? Perhaps a returning ROH star? Or will it be a dream match against a CMLL or NJPW star? Join us in Lakeland for the return of Jushin “Thunder” Liger and the biggest night in ROH history!
Jay Lethal's Hair

Post by Jay Lethal's Hair »

I'm kind of impressed they name-dropped Danielson and Low Ki tbh.

They do stress "first" NJPW name to be announced so more to come.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

I'm going to guess Liger vs. Scurll
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

Dragon Lee is coming too!
King of Indy Style

Post by King of Indy Style »

The Dragon Saga wrote:I said this in another topic, but I see Castle winning the title here. I think Cole will retain until this weekend and then ROH will go all out to shock the world during the Mania weekend, see: Jay Briscoe def. Kevin Steen at SCOH four years ago. Same idea, only Castle winning it would be a bit more of a surprise due to how he's booked, but would also make sense seeing as Cole is expected to depart in May.

Agreed. I've turned a total 180 on this. Daniels loses via BS (likely Kazarian heel turn and interference leading to a SCoH Fight Without Honor), and Castle beats Cole.
King of Indy Style

Post by King of Indy Style »

Interesting. It says in the release that there will be "first-time appearances from New Japan and CMLL". To be frank I don't care about the CMLL guys other than Dragon Lee but I wonder who would debut there. I'd REALLY love to see Suzuki,Kojima, Tenzan, Nagata, and SANADA
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

Yeah, If Cole is the champion, I would love to see Dalton Castle winning the big one at SCOH XI. That should be awesome. Btw, love your new profile photo King of Indy Style, BRO! Hahaha.
Jay Lethal's Hair

Post by Jay Lethal's Hair »

The first time NJPW names are pretty limited - SANADA, BUSHI and then you have the older crew (plus Suzuki, which would be wild, but I find unlikely, I dunno).
Brada

Post by Brada »

I hope it's not Liger and Scurll. Liger is a legend, don't get me wrong. I just think at this point, he is an opening match fixture. Put him in there with Dragon Lee.

Save Scurll for the spotlight and a statement win.
Brada

Post by Brada »

I see CZW got Riccochet that night. Now that would have been a damn fine challenger for Scurll.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

Am I the only person that is tired of ROH booking Jushin Thunder Liger? I don't think having him on the card as a benefit. He's old and he cannot have great matches.