Supercard of Honor XI - Lakeland/Orlando, FL

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
project161

Re: Supercard of Honor XI - Lakeland/Orlando, FL

Post by project161 »

Burnside wrote:
project161 wrote:Very stupid of ROH to choose this building. I find it hard to believe that they would not have been able to set up an arrangement with a hotel in the Orlando area. Especially when on top of it, it leaves fans to consider missing out on a group of other shows to potentially do one ROH show (two if you include women of honor.)
It's fine. ROH will get their 1,000 people for their show.
It should just be accepted that ROH runs in a completely inconvenient location in a manner that is inconvenient for fans that want to get the most bang for the buck when they have at least 3 competing events all in a more convenient spot from 3 different hosts (Hall of Fame, WWN Supershow, Wrestlecon?) Wrestlecon is the closest of those 3 to the Lakeland Center and it is still 46 miles away while it is roughly 10 miles at most away from where WWN is having their stuff and where the HOF will be. Not to mention if there are fans that may want to try to make Beyond at the WWN spot, which starts at midnight and with ROH potentially running long, it makes it an inconvenience for fans that would want to try to do both.

I do not doubt that some fans will make the trek to Lakeland and think nothing of it, but I also do not doubt that they would have an opportunity to draw more if they were in a more convenient spot. I also do not doubt that ROH only cares about their own show and doesn't care about the majority of the stuff that I had mentioned.
FanSinceHDNet

Post by FanSinceHDNet »

There are literally 10s of thousands of, for lack of a better word, captive wrestling fans in central Florida that literally can't do most of the other events because they will be sold out. Some of these fans will have rent-a-cars. They'll be fine.
FanSinceHDNet

Post by FanSinceHDNet »

project161 wrote: I do not doubt that some fans will make the trek to Lakeland and think nothing of it, but I also do not doubt that they would have an opportunity to draw more if they were in a more convenient spot. I also do not doubt that ROH only cares about their own show and doesn't care about the majority of the stuff that I had mentioned.
Orlando really doesn't have a whole lot of options when it comes to suitable venues that would accommodate ROH's target audience. I would assume they're looking for something between 1,500 and 3,000 people. The Hilton Convention Center is a a truly inconvenient location to most of the hustle, charges $16 for parking, etc. That's the best spot I can think of that fits the description other than Universal Studios...

There are probably literally hundreds of spots that are absolutely perfect for 500 people. There is the Amway Arena that can fit 20,000 or so people. There's the Orange Bowl that fits significantly more than that. But it is surprisingly difficult to find a venue that is within their target audience. If I remember correctly, last year's Field of Honor was their biggest crowd, ever, and it was 2,500. Orlando no longer has a minor league baseball or hockey team which could have likely accommodated a crowd of the size they're seeking. I agree Lakewood is a hike but they're too big to be small and too small to be big and in Orlando, like most places, that is tough to find a venue for.

(Source: brother who manages an equipment rental store that specializes in providing equipment for medium to large conventions)
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

FanSinceHDNet wrote:Orlando really doesn't have a whole lot of options when it comes to suitable venues that would accommodate ROH's target audience. I would assume they're looking for something between 1,500 and 3,000 people. The Hilton Convention Center is a a truly inconvenient location to most of the hustle, charges $16 for parking, etc. That's the best spot I can think of that fits the description other than Universal Studios...

There are probably literally hundreds of spots that are absolutely perfect for 500 people. There is the Amway Arena that can fit 20,000 or so people. There's the Orange Bowl that fits significantly more than that. But it is surprisingly difficult to find a venue that is within their target audience. If I remember correctly, last year's Field of Honor was their biggest crowd, ever, and it was 2,500. Orlando no longer has a minor league baseball or hockey team which could have likely accommodated a crowd of the size they're seeking. I agree Lakewood is a hike but they're too big to be small and too small to be big and in Orlando, like most places, that is tough to find a venue for.

(Source: brother who manages an equipment rental store that specializes in providing equipment for medium to large conventions)
....and the only venue that would fit for what ROH would like to run is being used by Evolve now.
Brada

Post by Brada »

I can't remember the name of the building, but back in 2008 during Mania weekend, ROH ran a show on Saturday night, with the HOF going on right next door at the Magic's Arena...

I wonder if they looked into that venue? They definitely could have put 1500 or so in there.....

I remember Milo Beasley hanging out in the front of the building before the show in his wheelchair as if he were a fan...all to play up his angle for the show....funny stuff.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

The thing I don't understand is why ROH didn't work with Wrestlecon again. That would have covered a venue closer to everything else and would have given them a 1000+ seat venue.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

Brada wrote:I can't remember the name of the building, but back in 2008 during Mania weekend, ROH ran a show on Saturday night, with the HOF going on right next door at the Magic's Arena...

I wonder if they looked into that venue? They definitely could have put 1500 or so in there.....

I remember Milo Beasley hanging out in the front of the building before the show in his wheelchair as if he were a fan...all to play up his angle for the show....funny stuff.
That's actually the same venue that Evolve is currently using. I think's the Orlando Downtown Recreation Complex.
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

dhads7161 wrote:The thing I don't understand is why ROH didn't work with Wrestlecon again. That would have covered a venue closer to everything else and would have given them a 1000+ seat venue.
Probably didn't feel like sharing revenue with Wrestlecon when they can draw 1,000 people just fine without them. The venue is Lakeland is also probably cheaper than a comparable venue in Orlando, if one is even available.

I understand that it is "annoying" and "inconvenient" that ROH is running their show out in Lakeland. That's true. But those of you saying you don't "understand" it, or it "makes no sense", or that ROH is "losing money" by doing so are, you know, wrong. It clearly does make sense, they're not going to lose money, and they will have no problem whatsoever drawing their 1,000 or so people to Supercard of Honor which at this point is, keep in mind, a gussied-up house show that ranks below all 6 PPVs and also below Field of Honor in terms of stature.

The idea that ROH should pay to partner with WWN to make it easier for people to get to non-ROH shows is, from an ROH business perspective, silly.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

The one piece of leverage we all have is to avoid buying blind. Always a chance that doing so forces the company to step its game up. There will be plenty of nearby special attraction talent nearby anyway.

I will be very anxious to see if Ospreay will be available by NJPW, and which promotions utilize him. It'll speak volumes on ROH's contemporary status or lack there of.
WHG

Post by WHG »

All that not buying blind will do is prevent you from getting good seats, which is fine if you're choosing to not go...or are willing to not get tickets. Keep in mind that based on viewership and TV accessibility alone, ROH as a brand is an attractive choice to a segment of the 70,000 or so wrestling fans that will be in town who don't know or get what Evolve is. ROH's fanbase is different from what it was 10 years ago, Sonic. Go to any ROH show these days and you see it.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

supersonic wrote:The one piece of leverage we all have is to avoid buying blind. Always a chance that doing so forces the company to step its game up. There will be plenty of nearby special attraction talent nearby anyway.

I will be very anxious to see if Ospreay will be available by NJPW, and which promotions utilize him. It'll speak volumes on ROH's contemporary status or lack there of.
what?
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

WHG wrote:All that not buying blind will do is prevent you from getting good seats, which is fine if you're choosing to not go...or are willing to not get tickets. Keep in mind that based on viewership and TV accessibility alone, ROH as a brand is an attractive choice to a segment of the 70,000 or so wrestling fans that will be in town who don't know or get what Evolve is. ROH's fanbase is different from what it was 10 years ago, Sonic. Go to any ROH show these days and you see it.
It won't come close to being necessitated as a blind buy like Raw and Takeover. I will prioritize Supercard of Honor XI as highly as the company does.
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

They're already hyping it as "the biggest Supercard of Honor ever."
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Actions speak louder than words. This is the same company that markets itself with a "best on the planet" slogan. I'm open-minded but have zero expectations and will be indifferent at worst. Too many other options available and within walking distance to feel the slightest bit of outrage again.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

TYFDK wrote:They're already hyping it as "the biggest Supercard of Honor ever."
I see they've taken to WWE's new advertising formula. I'm sure next year's Anniversary Show will be billed as "fifteen years in the making."
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

On today's ROH Video update, Kevin Kelly said there would be an update including an Adam Cole interview. Implying that Meltzer's report is accurate and Cole sticks around through spring 2017?
WHG

Post by WHG »

supersonic wrote:On today's ROH Video update, Kevin Kelly said there would be an update including an Adam Cole interview. Implying that Meltzer's report is accurate and Cole sticks around through spring 2017?
Watching the video again, I don't think there's any connection to the Cole interview and SCOH. Blame Kevin Kelly's lack of segue or transition and mentioning the Cole interview immediately after talking about SCOH (by update, I think he was referring to these general video updates he's doing)...but he'd already referred to the interview earlier in the update. All Cole is going to be talking about is his DBD title match, I'm sure.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

Just got an email about Supercard of Honor XI tickets going on sale. Included was this....
“Supercard of Honor XI” will present exclusive stars from ROH as well as many stars from around the globe. Fans will see wrestling’s best from New Japan Pro Wrestling (NJPW), Mexico’s CMLL and the United Kingdom.
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

That's where the 'biggest Supercard of Honor' thing comes into play I see.

Bet Ospreay's there.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

pretty interesting...a lot of possibilities,lets wait and see how will be the landscape of wrestling for that date... i hope wwe "steal" the least talent possible