NWA Ring Warriors invading Showdown in the Sun Day 1

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
astoph

Re: NWA Ring Warriors invading Showdown in the Sun Day 1

Post by astoph »

WrestlingMatters wrote:
astoph wrote:Exactly. And working with smaller promotions is a great way to accomplish this imo. No excuse for Generico and Jacobs though.
But NWA Ring Warriors? Really? I'll take it all back if the guy on the ROH show is any good but I don't see that happening especially knowing Cornette is in charge of bringing in talent.
OK, I agree the choice of promotion is questionable but at least it's a start. I'm not trying to say that anything "major" will come out of this at all, but I'm not gonna knock it until I see it. The majority of this forum can all agree that the roster is lacking and something has to be done, but whenever they attempt something some of us just shun the whole idea from the get go. I'm just trying to stay positive.
WrestlingMatters

Post by WrestlingMatters »

astoph wrote:OK, I agree the choice of promotion is questionable but at least it's a start. I'm not trying to say that anything "major" will come out of this at all, but I'm not gonna knock it until I see it. The majority of this forum can all agree that the roster is lacking and something has to be done, but whenever they attempt something some of us just shun the whole idea from the get go. I'm just trying to stay positive.
I've become tired of the type of low level wrestler that Jim Cornette thinks can cut it in ROH. There are plenty of unsigned guys that would immediately add something to the company but JC is so out of touch with everything wrestling in 2012. Good for you for wanting to be positive but I can't see anything to be excited for as far as Jim Cornette bringing in talent goes.
Chaosphere

Post by Chaosphere »

WrestlingMatters wrote:
astoph wrote:OK, I agree the choice of promotion is questionable but at least it's a start. I'm not trying to say that anything "major" will come out of this at all, but I'm not gonna knock it until I see it. The majority of this forum can all agree that the roster is lacking and something has to be done, but whenever they attempt something some of us just shun the whole idea from the get go. I'm just trying to stay positive.
I've become tired of the type of low level wrestler that Jim Cornette thinks can cut it in ROH. There are plenty of unsigned guys that would immediately add something to the company but JC is so out of touch with everything wrestling in 2012. Good for you for wanting to be positive but I can't see anything to be excited for as far as Jim Cornette bringing in talent goes.
I think he probably see's guys that have good fundamentals but have bland in ring skills and thinks that's what fans want to see - a good "worker" whereas really most fans want new guys who do amazing moves but, if they're young or early on in their careers they aren't necessarily polished in the psychology department.

A good example of what I just said is Mike Mondo in comparison to say Rich Swann. Mondo to me has shown he has decent psychology and is good at working crowds however he's very meh when it comes to his in ring stuff. Swann on the other hand does crazy in ring stuff but needs to be reigned in by others to make his matches be more than just cool moves with some kind of loose psychology of "he did stuff then I did stuff and then it ended".

I'm of the opinion that ROH over it's history has welcomed the guys who were more about the later of my argument and over time moulded them into the more complete package whereas Cornette seems to be moving in the other direction.

Imagine if this was ROH in 2009...would Cornette have given the likes of the Young Bucks their chance? My guess is probably not.
WrestlingMatters

Chaosphere wrote:I think he probably see's guys that have good fundamentals but have bland in ring skills and thinks that's what fans want to see - a good "worker" whereas really most fans want new guys who do amazing moves but, if they're young or early on in their careers they aren't necessarily polished in the psychology department.

A good example of what I just said is Mike Mondo in comparison to say Rich Swann. Mondo to me has shown he has decent psychology and is good at working crowds however he's very meh when it comes to his in ring stuff. Swann on the other hand does crazy in ring stuff but needs to be reigned in by others to make his matches be more than just cool moves with some kind of loose psychology of "he did stuff then I did stuff and then it ended".

I'm of the opinion that ROH over it's history has welcomed the guys who were more about the later of my argument and over time moulded them into the more complete package whereas Cornette seems to be moving in the other direction.

Imagine if this was ROH in 2009...would Cornette have given the likes of the Young Bucks their chance? My guess is probably not.
You're absolutely right. ROH will be in trouble if they continue down this path because guys WILL leave to go to WWE, it's inevitable. Who's going to replace them? Has Mike Mondo for example got the kind of potential to step up and help carry the company? No. The reason Ring of Honor has been successful and stayed alive so long is because of the people in charge taking a risk on a young guy with a lot of potential and trying to mould and shape him to one day step up to that next level to replace guys that leave for the WWE. If ROH suddenly became hugely successful that wouldn't be an issue but they're not there yet so they can't act as if they are.
Mr. Small Package

Post by Mr. Small Package »

I'd rather see an actual development out of the NOAH talk we had last year.
HarpoonIPA
Donator
Donator

Post by HarpoonIPA »

Mr. Small Package wrote:I'd rather see an actual development out of the NOAH talk we had last year.
I don't think we will be seeing that happen for a while. With the economy the way it is, we are much better off taking care of our own home grown guys and playing with other Indie feds then flying guys over from Japan at this point.
ハープーンIPA
ニューイングランド·ペイトリオッツのファン
Mr. Small Package

HarpoonIPA wrote:
Mr. Small Package wrote:I'd rather see an actual development out of the NOAH talk we had last year.
I don't think we will be seeing that happen for a while. With the economy the way it is, we are much better off taking care of our own home grown guys and playing with other Indie feds then flying guys over from Japan at this point.
Perhaps, but the economy isn't drastically different from the way it was a few months ago. If there wasn't serious consideration I don't know why they would announce it and have someone go over there.
2 Gatz

Post by 2 Gatz »

They're probably just waiting for KENTA to heal up.
WrestlingMatters

2 Gatz wrote:They're probably just waiting for KENTA to heal up.
With Cornette in charge, I don't think it'll ever happen.
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

Wait until the Toronto show to say that, i think we will have a few fly ins there
WrestlingMatters

187_Joeism wrote:Wait until the Toronto show to say that, i think we will have a few fly ins there
That's optimistic.
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

WrestlingMatters wrote:
187_Joeism wrote:Wait until the Toronto show to say that, i think we will have a few fly ins there
That's optimistic.
Maybe, IMO the only reason why ROH don´t book any NOAH wrestler is because right now NOAH had too many injures and his economy is falling and need to keep his wrestling there touring. Apart from that, only Go, KENTA and Shima excited me of their roster.
Chaosphere

Post by Chaosphere »

187_Joeism wrote:
WrestlingMatters wrote:
That's optimistic.
Maybe, IMO the only reason why ROH don´t book any NOAH wrestler is because right now NOAH had too many injures and his economy is falling and need to keep his wrestling there touring. Apart from that, only Go, KENTA and Shima excited me of their roster.
Or that ROH wants to put all the focus on it's own roster? Although you could argue that getting a big name like KENTA to come in and job to say Mike Bennett would help :lol:
Mr. Small Package

The point is a lot of people would rather see NOAH talent than more jobbers from OVW.
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

A lot of people wants ROH to sign every reject of WWE in the old forum too, you can´t do always what people want you have to look for your own good first.
ROHFanAnthony
Donator
Donator

Post by ROHFanAnthony »

I don't want to see wwe rejects. Matter of fact, I was afraid at Final Battle that a wwe reject would have accepted Strong's challenge and won! I think everyone was happy it turned out to be Chris Hero.
WrestlingMatters

rohfanAnthony wrote:I don't want to see wwe rejects. Matter of fact, I was afraid at Final Battle that a wwe reject would have accepted Strong's challenge and won! I think everyone was happy it turned out to be Chris Hero.
Exactly, there are only a few guys in WWE I would have any interest in seeing in ROH.
ROHFanAnthony
Donator
Donator

Post by ROHFanAnthony »

Oh yeah I wouldn't mind seeing a guy that was in ROH before wwe come back(like Matt Sydal), but I'm talking about Kozlov or Masters. Guys like that should stay as far away from ROH as possible.
WrestlingMatters

rohfanAnthony wrote:Oh yeah I wouldn't mind seeing a guy that was in ROH before wwe come back(like Matt Sydal), but I'm talking about Kozlov or Masters. Guys like that should stay as far away from ROH as possible.
In Masters case, just because some has improved a lot, doesn't mean he's actually good now.
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

Talking about the OVW guys i don´t get why people are so negative with them ROH only use this gus as jobbers, is not like them push them over the ROH talent or something like that