Dave Meltzer confirms WWE is raiding NJPW; ROH star included

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
The Dragon Saga

Dave Meltzer confirms WWE is raiding NJPW; ROH star included

Post by The Dragon Saga »

On the latest edition of MLW Radio, Court is saying that members of the Bullet Club (Gallows, Anderson and Tonga), AJ Styles and Shinsuke Nakamura have all given New Japan their notices and will be finishing up with the company.

Anderson and Gallows I would believe, Anderson could probably get into NXT with Balor there, Gallows I'm not so sure since he was Festus for Christ sake, but Styles and Nakamura I'd question. Styles only said a few weeks ago he was going to limit his schedule and focus on New Japan/ROH in 2016, so this would be weird. Nakamura... well, he's Nakamura. There are rumors that Triple H/WWE are interested in him but I can not for the life of me seeing them using him right. He also doesn't have much English which won't help, no matter how charismatic he is.

I am currently listening to the breaking news audio F4WOnline have released and they have confirmed the story.

It's Shinsuke Nakamura, AJ Styles, Doc Gallows and Karl Anderson. Nobody else mentioned.

WWE have made contact, they've been talking. AJ Styles will go if the money is right, but he has given New Japan his notice. Karl Anderson was actually talking to TNA when WWE called him, he'll go to be with Balor, he won't mind doing NXT. Nakamura will do New Japan for a couple of more months and then will leave.

Dave says Anderson and Gallows will finish up their ROH dates. AJ Styles to his knowledge doesn't have any left (isn't or wasn't AJ scheduled for the Concord,NC show at some point? and advertised for a number of future shows?).

So yeah... seems like AJ Styles' time with ROH is either done or about to end. This might have been why Lethal was put over clean I guess.

http://mlwradio.libsyn.com/podcast/mlw- ... ive-notice
Last edited by The Dragon Saga on Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thelone

Re: So Court Bauer has some scoopz apparently...

Post by Thelone »

Anderson looked way leaner today than he did a few months ago, so I can see him leaving for NXT. Gallows without him is pretty much useless (they already have Fale as a monster heel) and he's not the kind of guy NXT is looking for. If the money is right, I don't know why AJ would choose NJPW/ROH over NXT (less travel and intercontinental flights). As for Nak, maybe the guy is looking for another challenge at this point.
http://thelone.be/ => My site, which means a bunch of random stuff really.
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

It's been confirmed by F4W.

Can't imagine how much they'll get out of Styles. His back is comparable to Daniel Bryan's head right now.
JTCole

Re: Dave Meltzer confirms WWE is raiding NJPW; ROH star incl

Post by JTCole »

Nakamura has stated he wants to try and make it big in America so I could see him going to WWE. As for how he'll be used, well, the company has changed a lot in recent years even with the current main roster being very lackluster overall. He'll obviously go to NXT first so that's guaranteed to be fun at the very least.
Northwoods_Nightmare

Post by Northwoods_Nightmare »

TYFDK wrote:It's been confirmed by F4W.

Can't imagine how much they'll get out of Styles. His back is comparable to Daniel Bryan's head right now.
Injuries heal, especially if it's just from being overworked like has been claimed. And remember Bryan's head seems to be more of a public relations thing with head injuries. There's no real furor over back injuries.

As for Nakamura, the "WWE might not use me right" argument hasn't stopped countless other people from signing with them in the past. If it's a goal of his to try and make it big in the US he has no reason not to try it.
JTCole

Post by JTCole »

Northwoods_Nightmare wrote:
TYFDK wrote:It's been confirmed by F4W.

Injuries heal, especially if it's just from being overworked like has been claimed. And remember Bryan's head seems to be more of a public relations thing with head injuries. There's no real furor over back injuries.

As for Nakamura, the "WWE might not use me right" argument hasn't stopped countless other people from signing with them in the past. If it's a goal of his to try and make it big in the US he has no reason not to try it.
And considering the amount of money WWE is probably going to invest in him they'll at least try and do it right. HHH knows how to use him.
Memphis Mark

Post by Memphis Mark »

Styles is too old and beat up to work a full time WWE schedule. I would imagine he would work limited dates. McMahon must really be overpaying to get Styles and Nakamura . The rest of the names are no big deal. NJPW can easily replace everyone but Nakamura and Styles.

I bet Nakamura will be back in NJPW in less than two years and Styles will work one big contract and retire .

NJPW can move some guys over from NOAH to pick up the slack. ROH and NJPW will pick some indy free agents to easily plug the holes left by Anderson , Gallows, Tama Tonga and Romero. I would guess that Fergal Devitt has been working people on behalf on McMahon. Which , if true would be sad because NJPW made Devitt .
JTCole

Post by JTCole »

Meltzer says all 4 guys are officially WWE bound.
dark patriot

Post by dark patriot »

Gallows really?
JTCole

Post by JTCole »

dark patriot wrote:Gallows really?
Apparently he was really well liked in the company despite being let go.
Memphis Mark

Post by Memphis Mark »

The other shoe will drop. Who will the WWE fired to make room for these four ?
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

So the two biggest companies in the world are put in position to freshen things up, and on top, this is the most buzzworthy news the industry has seen since CM Punk's abrupt, vague departure.

This is a positive no matter how one wants to spin it.

Let's appreciate also the magical extra two years AJ Styles brought to ROH. He was THE face of everything that was refreshing and rejuvenated about the company since his return. The man also put his ass on the line with his way out when he probably didn't have to, putting the champ over clean as a whistle and truly displaying how much respect he has for the company. A much more climatic finale, even without a farewell ceremony once again, than what he had gotten 9 years earlier.
JTCole

Post by JTCole »

When is AJ's last scheduled ROH appearance?
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

His website says he's scheduled for the Nashville TV taping.
Memphis Mark

Post by Memphis Mark »

Mike Johnson is claiming that Styles is done with ROH , he has been moved from all ROH ads. . However has not sign with the WWE , yet. Johnson also claims that Nakamura future is far from being settled .NJPW is still in play. He also said that at this moment. Gallows and Anderson are still booked by ROH and not signed by the WWE I wonder is is right Dave or Mike ?
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

I'd have to agree with what supersonic said in his earlier post. This is easily the biggest wrestling story, as far as talent is concerned, in quite some time, and is by far the biggest story of 2016, only a week into the year (and it'll probably remain the year's biggest story by December, unless something major tops it).

I would also agree with supersonic, to an extent, with regards to this story being a positive. It certainly forces New Japan to freshen up their Main Event Scene, with two of the "Big Four" (Nakamura & Styles) on their way out. The staleness of New Japan's roster has been a big complaint about the promotion over the last year/two years, and now they're being forced to make changes and push other guys to the top of the card. It's a positive for guys like Styles & Anderson, who can work closer to home, spend more time with their families, and (presumably) get some good money out of it.

I'd pause on saying it's a positive all the way around until we see how they're used by WWE. I would love for WWE to bring them in all at once on RAW for their debut, like they did with The Radicalz, and push them hard as top guys on the Main Roster, but we don't live in a perfect world, and there's no way that's happening (because WWE...). I don't think it's even been confirmed officially (unless I missed it) whether they'd be going to NXT or the Main Roster (Anderson & Gallows could be in NXT to form the Balor Club, but I'm not sure on Nakamura or Styles). I would give it six months to year, and see where they all are then before making any judgments.

I'm fascinated by the fact that Karl Anderson almost went to TNA. If he's leaving NJPW, I'd much rather him go to WWE than TNA.
Memphis Mark wrote:Mike Johnson is claiming that Styles is done with ROH , he has been moved from all ROH ads. . However has not sign with the WWE , yet. Johnson also claims that Nakamura future is far from being settled .NJPW is still in play. He also said that at this moment. Gallows and Anderson are still booked by ROH and not signed by the WWE I wonder is is right Dave or Mike ?
I believe what's happening is how Meltzer described it. Anderson & Gallows are still going to be working their ROH dates in Asheville, Atlanta, & Las Vegas (Kevin Kelly confirmed in passing on commentary during their match at Wrestle Kingdom X that they'd be on the 14th Anniversary Show). If that's the case, I'd really like them to face War Machine in a match for the ROH World Tag Team Titles, because I think that'd be a big win for War Machine during their title run.

With Nakamura, he's doing the opposite of what Alberto Del Rio did when he left AAA. He'll still be around for a few months, and drop the IWGP Intercontinental Title sometime in the next few months (I'd say the earliest would be Invasion Attack in April). I would say this means he's still doing the 14th Anniversary Show in Las Vegas. He could still be on New Japan's May Tour with ROH, but again, that depends on when he drops his title.

It seems like AJ Styles is done, which is a shame, but it is what is. supersonic hit the nail on the head with regards to Styles. He had a great run with ROH the last two years, and in hindsight, it culminated in the best way possible, with him putting Lethal over clean in the Main Event of Final Battle.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

TYFDK wrote:His website says he's scheduled for the Nashville TV taping.
His website still lists all of his appearances that had been announced, but this is breaking news, so I would say it's subject to change.

Speaking of AJ Styles, I wonder if this means that he's dropping the RPW British Heavyweight Title to Zack Sabre Jr. next weekend...
JTCole

Post by JTCole »

I'm going with Meltzer over Johnson. Dave wouldn't post something like that unless he completely trusted his source.

Now the source could be wrong I realize. Guess we'll find out for sure in the coming days.
Northwoods_Nightmare

DXvsNWO1994 wrote:I'd pause on saying it's a positive all the way around until we see how they're used by WWE. I would love for WWE to bring them in all at once on RAW for their debut, like they did with The Radicalz, and push them hard as top guys on the Main Roster, but we don't live in a perfect world, and there's no way that's happening (because WWE...). I don't think it's even been confirmed officially (unless I missed it) whether they'd be going to NXT or the Main Roster (Anderson & Gallows could be in NXT to form the Balor Club, but I'm not sure on Nakamura or Styles). I would give it six months to year, and see where they all are then before making any judgments.
Bring Balor up to the main roster right around Wrestlemania and give him a big match to kick off a feud against some sort of group. Then have him bring out Anderson and Gallows to back him up and form the Balor Club on the Raw after Mania or at Extreme Rules or something. Gallows is a former employee so I don't see why NXT would be required, and Anderson is experienced enough they may forgo it especially in a tag situation. Heck, they essentially did it with Strowman.

I'd also love to see Styles debut straight to Raw, but I think he should be kept separate. Anderson and Gallows are perfect to match up with Balor, but I think Balor and Styles should be kept apart so they don't have to try to outshine each other directly coming in right off the bat. Styles is a big enough US name anyways it's not really needed to pair him with anyone.

Nakamura, I would definitely put in NXT. That will give him some time to work on his English and more importantly figure out how to work his style effectively in WWE/America before being thrown onto national TV. Yes, he's world class, but with no US experience, the language barrier, etc. there's too much of an unknown and I'm sure things that will take some time to adapt to. The positives of having NXT for someone like Itami, and the negatives of not having it for someone like Mistico are obvious, so the map for Nakamura seems pretty straightforward.
Northwoods_Nightmare

This is pure speculation on my part

With Styles perhaps the reason he gave his notice is purely due to wanting time off to heal and not because he's WWE bound. With Tanahashi's willingness to continue working big matches despite documented back injuries in recent years perhaps NJPW expected the same from Styles. Obviously he's still able to go as seen with the Nakamura and Lethal matches, so it would be understandable if NJPW wanted to keep booking him for PPVs. So Styles gave his notice, will take off for however much time he needs, and then will re-sign in Japan when he's healthy.