Official Winter Warriors Tour 2016 (Live Events) Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Burnside

Re: Official Winter Warriors Tour 2016 (Live Events) Thread

Post by Burnside »

AlexROH wrote:Two things:

1. ROH says in his official facebook page that we will see how the main event was changed (AJ segment with Lethal, Strong and BC) in the VOD. Does it mean that the AJ segment will be available on the VOD although his under contract with WWE?

?
He may or may not technically be under contract yet.
LJimmy

Post by LJimmy »

DXvsNWO1994 wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:
TYFDK wrote:

- Alex Shelley, ACH, and Matt Sydal beat reDRagon and Michael Elgin
Spoiler: show
How the hell do three guys who aren't doing anything right now beat two guys in line for title shots and one of the top singles guys in the company?
Well the bigger thing here is that Elgin, who isn't under contract, apparently ate all three of his opponent's finishers and got pinned in the end. I've seen a lot of speculation about this finish and what it potentially means for his future.
I know the common belief is a potential full time New Japan deal, but would there be a need to job him out like this is he was going full time with New Japan?
JTCole

Post by JTCole »

I'll post Larry Goodman's review of the Atlanta event here later.
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

Burnside wrote:All belts on the line in an 8-man is TNAesque.
While I somewhat agree, it makes sense from a few points.

It was a way to get a combination of both night's matches in involving the Bullet Club.

Made a 10-match card an 8-match card.

Got a big match featuring the biggest stable together for the last time for the forseeable future outside of the WWE.

So I can see why they did it.
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

I think Doc Gallows getting a world title opportunity for no reason kind of makes a joke out of grueling things like Survival of the Fittest which have a world title shot as the grand prize.

Then again, O'Reilly gets shot after shot in PPV main events despite never winning any singles matches ever.

I think having singles titles on the line in team matches is in general a Vince Russo abomination that should never happen.
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

The champions were still defending against who they were originally supposed to defend against. So say Anderson pinned Strong, then Nick Jackson would become TV champion, Gallows and Anderson would be tag champions, and Matt Jackson would win the world title.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

DXvsNWO1994 wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:
TYFDK wrote:

- Alex Shelley, ACH, and Matt Sydal beat reDRagon and Michael Elgin
How the hell do three guys who aren't doing anything right now beat two guys in line for title shots and one of the top singles guys in the company?
Well the bigger thing here is that Elgin, who isn't under contract, apparently ate all three of his opponent's finishers and got pinned in the end. I've seen a lot of speculation about this finish and what it potentially means for his future.
This seems to be a trend recently (same thing happened to Bennett), and I have to ask... does anyone really think that putting someone down with a million finishers really makes them look any weaker or puts the other guys over any stronger than just beating him with one finisher? Watching Bennett's last match it felt like they thought they were a soap opera and that they had to "kill off" Bennett and Maria, so they got murderized with finishers.
trufreedom

Post by trufreedom »

See, and for me, it initially has the opposite impact on me. I don't think "wow, they sure sent Elgin packing with all those finishers." I think "wow, it took all those finishers to pin Elgin."
DBSommer

Post by DBSommer »

Burnside wrote:I think Doc Gallows getting a world title opportunity for no reason kind of makes a joke out of grueling things like Survival of the Fittest which have a world title shot as the grand prize.

Then again, O'Reilly gets shot after shot in PPV main events despite never winning any singles matches ever.

I think having singles titles on the line in team matches is in general a Vince Russo abomination that should never happen.
Paul E was doing it before Russo as far back as '93 in ECW. Sabu pinned Funk in a tag match and came up with Funk's TV Title for doing it. Ditto Dougls got Funk's World Title in an 8 man tag a year later. I'm more bugged by having Tag Titles change in single's matches. If someone's injured and can't defend, either have the tournament, or at the least have the #1 and #2 contenders fight an actual tag match for them. That was a damn staple in ECW as well. Hell, the tag titles changed 2 times in a row in single's matches.
Last edited by DBSommer on Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:29 am, edited 3 times in total.
DBSommer

Post by DBSommer »

trufreedom wrote:See, and for me, it initially has the opposite impact on me. I don't think "wow, they sure sent Elgin packing with all those finishers." I think "wow, it took all those finishers to pin Elgin."
Ditto. I get what the OP was saying, but it has the desired effect on me of, 'Damn, he just got killed'. As opposed to one finisher which is, "Oh, he lost'.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

I tend to think this type of finish Big Red Machine is talking about would have been more palpable to him had it been Ishii and not Bennett.
Big Red Machine

Mr. Mojo Risin wrote:I tend to think this type of finish Big Red Machine is talking about would have been more palpable to him had it been Ishii and not Bennett.
No. I'd just sigh with relief that Ishii didn't kick out at one.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

:D
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

TYFDK wrote:The champions were still defending against who they were originally supposed to defend against. So say Anderson pinned Strong, then Nick Jackson would become TV champion, Gallows and Anderson would be tag champions, and Matt Jackson would win the world title.
That's actually much worse. So if Doc Gallows pinned Jay Lethal, Matt Jackson would have become the ROH world champion.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

Burnside wrote:
TYFDK wrote:The champions were still defending against who they were originally supposed to defend against. So say Anderson pinned Strong, then Nick Jackson would become TV champion, Gallows and Anderson would be tag champions, and Matt Jackson would win the world title.
That's actually much worse. So if Doc Gallows pinned Jay Lethal, Matt Jackson would have become the ROH world champion.
I'm with you. Sounds like clusterfuck booking.
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

Looking at the crowd size for last night's show, I think Atlanta's due for a PPV. The venue last night looked like it could hold a lighting rig and everything.
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

Mr. Mojo Risin wrote:
Burnside wrote:
I'm with you. Sounds like clusterfuck booking.
Wait, wait - it's even better actually. If Doc Gallows had pinned Ray Rowe, Matt Jackson would have become the ROH world champion. I find this booking impossible to defend. Honestly, I wish Mike Tenay and Don West had been there to call this masterpiece.
JTCole

Post by JTCole »

Here's a report of the Atlanta show

http://gwhnewsandnotes.blogspot.com/201 ... th-on.html
WHG

Post by WHG »

Here's the thing about the booking on the Atlanta show. I'd be right with everyone murdering them if this was a planned thing...or if they did it on a big show. It so clearly wasn't, though. They knew that the 8-man tag was the best match they had with that combo of guys and they didn't get to do it with the Asheville cancellation.

They also knew, though, that taking a show from 3 title matches to 0 might not go over well. This was a somewhat sloppy way of making the change in a way that the live crowd reacted well to and didn't leave enough time before the match for people to really think about how silly it was.

Everybody knew there was no way the titles were changing hands, whether those matches were kept the same or in the 8-man tag. This is a no-harm, no-foul thing for me. Glad we get to see that 8-man tag and it saves the Jacksons' singles matches for another show down the road.
Big Red Machine

WHG wrote:Here's the thing about the booking on the Atlanta show. I'd be right with everyone murdering them if this was a planned thing...or if they did it on a big show. It so clearly wasn't, though. They knew that the 8-man tag was the best match they had with that combo of guys and they didn't get to do it with the Asheville cancellation.

They also knew, though, that taking a show from 3 title matches to 0 might not go over well. This was a somewhat sloppy way of making the change in a way that the live crowd reacted well to and didn't leave enough time before the match for people to really think about how silly it was.

Everybody knew there was no way the titles were changing hands, whether those matches were kept the same or in the 8-man tag. This is a no-harm, no-foul thing for me. Glad we get to see that 8-man tag and it saves the Jacksons' singles matches for another show down the road.
This is pretty much my take on it. They made the best of a bad situation.
Last edited by Big Red Machine on Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.