Getting back into ROH

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Colt45

Getting back into ROH

Post by Colt45 »

Hey guys,

I stopped watching ROH in 2008. Could someone give me some info on the new faces? I'm talking the likes of everybody besides Steen, Jimmy, Generico, Briscoes, Davey, Eddie, Lethal, WGTT. I'd like to get back into ROH but it's tough not knowing half the roster. Thanks!
2 Gatz

Re: Getting back into ROH

Post by 2 Gatz »

Adam Cole: Graduate of the CZW academy. Possibly the future of the business.
Andy Ridge: ROH student. Perennial jobber.
Caprice Coleman: Older dude who's been kicking around forever.
Cedric Alexander: I don't know anything about him. Total green horn though.
Harlem/Lance Bravado: Work a Grandma's boys gimmick.
Kenny King: Was on Tough Enough 10 years ago.
Kyle O'Reilly: Davey Richards's protege. Really good wrestler. Maybe gay.
Matt/Nick Jackson: Spotty tag team from the west coast. Pretty amusing.
Michael Elgin: Generic power wrestler. He's solid. Over-pushed though IMO.
Mike Bennett: Sports entertainment troll.
Mike Mondo: Spirit Squad alumni.
Rhett Titus: Kenny King's tag partner. Used to suck really bad, but is now good.
TJ Perkins: Crazy international pedigree. Really good. Underused.
Tommaso Ciampa: Undefeated psychopath. I think the jury is still out on him.
WrestlingMatters

Post by WrestlingMatters »

Don't expect it to be as good as it was. The product has clearly declined since 2008.
DanielBryanson

Post by DanielBryanson »

2 Gatz wrote: Kyle O'Reilly: Davey Richards's protege. Really good wrestler. Maybe gay.
What? I don't think so.

Twitter:

“@Erica__Decker: I think I would die without the huge, soundproof headphones @ROHOreilly got me for Christmas. #bestgiftever”

“@ROHOreilly: @Erica__Decker I live to give.”

“@Erica__Decker: @ROHOreilly You do it well, baby love. :)

Also:

“@ROHOreilly: @Erica__Decker. Heyy baaabe, just bought some steak.. And I'm bringing it home ;)

“@Erica__Decker: @ROHOreilly Hmm... :)

“@itsvedatime: @ROHOreilly @erica__decker INAPPROPRIATE”
"God, we have some dumb fans!" (Steve Corino)
SteenMark23

Post by SteenMark23 »

WrestlingMatters wrote:Don't expect it to be as good as it was. The product has clearly declined since 2008.
I actually hated most of 2008 to be honest.
WrestlingMatters

SteenMark23 wrote:I actually hated most of 2008 to be honest.
Still better than 2012 though.
Colt45

Post by Colt45 »

2 Gatz wrote:Adam Cole: Graduate of the CZW academy. Possibly the future of the business.
Rhett Titus: Kenny King's tag partner. Used to suck really bad, but is now good.
Thanks man this is exactly what I wanted. So far I like the all night express and Bravados moreso for their character work than anything.

What are some on you guys favorite new wrestlers? I'm just trying to get an understanding of who is liked and for what reasons.
JigsawVs.Jason

Post by JigsawVs.Jason »

WrestlingMatters wrote:
SteenMark23 wrote:I actually hated most of 2008 to be honest.
Still better than 2012 though.
How do you know???!!! 2012 is only 3 months old :?:
"If anyone complains about how today's pro wrestling isn't as good as the past and isn't watching New Japan, their opinions have no validity." ~ Dave Meltzer
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

Colt45 wrote:
2 Gatz wrote:Adam Cole: Graduate of the CZW academy. Possibly the future of the business.
Thanks man this is exactly what I wanted. So far I like the all night express and Bravados moreso for their character work than anything.

What are some on you guys favorite new wrestlers? I'm just trying to get an understanding of who is liked and for what reasons.
He's not a member of the roster, but I've been liking Matt Taven lately. He's got a good look and is pretty solid.

As for actual roster members, I've been quite the fan of the Caprice Coleman/Cedric Alexander team ever since I saw them back at the last Charlotte show.
WrestlingMatters

Adam Cole is the best young talent, he has everything you would want from a wrestler only 22 years of age. If you like good matches avoid Mike Bennett and Tommaso Ciampa like the plague.
ROHWorld_Steven
Admin
Admin

Post by ROHWorld_Steven »

Colt45 wrote:

Adam Cole and Michael Elgin are consistently having fantastic matches. Cole is a future star, not just in ROH but could easily go to WWE later in his career.

Elgin is a brilliant big guy with some crazy strength. Consistently comes up with innovative ways to use his strength advantage - very entertaining to watch.
astoph

Post by astoph »

WrestlingMatters wrote:Adam Cole is the best young talent, he has everything you would want from a wrestler only 22 years of age. If you like good matches avoid Mike Bennett and Tommaso Ciampa like the plague.
Definitely look out for Cole. The guy is fantastic and a future World Champ if he is'nt picked up by WWE before "his time". As for Bennett and Ciampa, it's a matter of opinion. To me, both have had decent matches as well as bad ones so...check them out for yourself and see what you think.
WrestlingMatters

JigsawVs.Jason wrote:How do you know???!!! 2012 is only 3 months old :?:
It's been declining slowly since the Sinclair deal, I don't see it getting better any time soon.
astoph

Post by astoph »

WrestlingMatters wrote:
JigsawVs.Jason wrote:How do you know???!!! 2012 is only 3 months old :?:
It's been declining slowly since the Sinclair deal, I don't see it getting better any time soon.
That raises the same question. How do you know? "Declining" is a matter of opinion. As far as getting better, I have pretty high hopes for 2012, Steen/Kingston, Steen/Davey, Cole/O'Reilly, Briscoes/Bucks/ANX,
the Chikara angle, Generico? Elgin?! Could be a great year!
WrestlingMatters

astoph wrote:That raises the same question. How do you know? "Declining" is a matter of opinion. As far as getting better, I have pretty high hopes for 2012, Steen/Kingston, Steen/Davey, Cole/O'Reilly, Briscoes/Bucks/ANX,
You think ROH hasn't been getting worse? Also, looks like Generico is done with ROH after SITS.
astoph

Post by astoph »

WrestlingMatters wrote:
astoph wrote:That raises the same question. How do you know? "Declining" is a matter of opinion. As far as getting better, I have pretty high hopes for 2012, Steen/Kingston, Steen/Davey, Cole/O'Reilly, Briscoes/Bucks/ANX,
You think ROH hasn't been getting worse? Also, looks like Generico is done with ROH after SITS.
I think ROH has seen worse days (late '08-early'09). With all the talent they had then there was no excuse for some of the shows we were getting. For the talent they have now I think they are doing ok. As far as Generico goes, well, I hope not. That would be a SUPER HUGE LOSS!!!
classic-cabana
Donator
Donator

Post by classic-cabana »

Elgin and Cole are the future of ROH, they are so exciting and fresh.

I am more excited about the future of ROH than I was 1-2 years ago. TV is better paced and as a weekly show is a decent watch. The main event does need spicing up though, thats been pretty much the same since for nearly 2 years, hopefully Steen and even Kingston are the guys to do this. There is so much potential in the Steen storyline, as well as O'Reilly and Cole.

O'Reilly is a really good wrestler but his character comes across as creepy rather than jealous student. His reaction at the end of the 10th Anni show was spot on though so if they keep him acting like that he''ll be fine.

Bennett is a good heel, sports entertainment troll is the best way Ive heard him described yet. He seems to have gotten under the skin of a lot of posters on here. Ciampa can be decent, I just feel the booking of him in the TV title match slowed him down, he'd be better as a loner than with the entourage he currently has.

The Tag division is still a strongpoint of ROH, KOW are sorely missed but without them we are still getting some excellent tag team wrestling despite WGTT. Would be great if Red/TJP became a regular team.
YimYac

Post by YimYac »

Colt45 wrote:

Ignore the douchebag that wrote that post. Classic, EVERYTHING ABOUT ROH SUCKS poster.

It really baffles me that there are people who signed up to this forum to troll and complain.

Here's the real review of the roster.

Adam Cole: One of the best rookie on the indies atm, currently in Japan. Easily the future
Andy Ridge: ROH student, currently in limbo.
Caprice Coleman: Been around for years, great performer, amazing promo cutter (youtube his promos)
Cedric Alexander: Great young talent, has done great work in every promotion, keep your eye o him.
Harlem/Lance Bravado: Work a Grandma's boys gimmick, improved tenfold since 2009, currently on a 3 month tour with Noah.
Kenny King: AMazing at promos, great in the ring.
Kyle O'Reilly: Terrible at promos, decent wrestler, Davey's apprentice
Matt/Nick Jackson: One of the most popular tag teams on the indies, not much psychology but can have a great match with anyone.
Michael Elgin: Easily the best new guy on the roster. Amazing big man wrestler, can hit moonsaults like nobody's business, future word champ.
Mike Bennett: The most over heel in ROH atm, dating Maria.
Mike Mondo: New to the roster, mediocre is most aspects.
Rhett Titus: The most improved wrestler in ROH by far
Tommaso Ciampa: Undefeated psychopath. I think the jury is still out on him
Mr. Small Package

Post by Mr. Small Package »

I have a hard enough time keeping interest in the current product, let alone trying to get back into the company with the stuff they're pushing now.

There's a few promising faces on the roster, but the style for the most part is bland and predictable. The bases have been covered with what others have said. I feel like the product has been steadily declining since shortly before the Sinclair take over. Now...we have what we have. I try to look at the future optimistically, but it's difficult with the production values of the TV show and how odd the booking for the company overall can be.

It's a clear sign of the changing times if ROH manages to let a talent like El Generico slip through their fingers and draw in fans for another promotion like Dragon Gate USA.

We're only three months into 2012, so I look forward to the rest and what may or may not happen along the way for Ring of Honor.
WrestlingMatters

astoph wrote:I think ROH has seen worse days (late '08-early'09). With all the talent they had then there was no excuse for some of the shows we were getting. For the talent they have now I think they are doing ok. As far as Generico goes, well, I hope not. That would be a SUPER HUGE LOSS!!!
You make a good point, the end of Gabe and the start of Pearce resulted in a lot of wasted opportunitys and forgettable shows. I listened to a very recent Steen interview and when mentioning Generico he said he didn't know what's going to happen, which doesn't fill me with confidence. Also, Jimmy Jacobs' profile was removed from the site. That is such a huge dropping of the ball from management, the guy has so many qualities that not having anything for him is inexcusable.