Biggest Shock Moment In ROH History?

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
JTGrasby

Biggest Shock Moment In ROH History?

Post by JTGrasby »

I purchased All Star Extravaganza 6 from the ROH sale today on their website and it reminded me of how much I was completely shocked by Elgin losing the title to Jay Briscoe out of the blue. Few moments in wrestling have caught me off guard like that one did.

Another that came to mind is CM Punk winning the ROH title on his way out.

What are some of yours?
187_Joeism

Re: Biggest Shock Moment In ROH History?

Post by 187_Joeism »

Jay Briscoe beating Steen, Jay Briscoe beating Elgin, Steen turning on El Generico, Austin Aries beating Samoa Joe to name a few.
trufreedom

Post by trufreedom »

I can remember reading the results from Manhattan Mayhem IV and having to check a different website, because I thought the result of the main event MUST have been a typo.
Northwoods_Nightmare

Post by Northwoods_Nightmare »

Briscoe beating Elgin is certainly up there. Absolutely no one expected that. I loved it.

I've heard other people say historically it's Aries beating Joe. I wasn't watching at the time so I'm curious to know...how much of a shock was that? Or was Aries already seen as "next world champ" so it was at least halfway expected?
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

It was like Eddie Edwards beating Roderick Strong type of surprise, no one saw it coming.
trufreedom

Post by trufreedom »

I know the angle kind of fell apart immediately afterward, but remember the night everyone and their mother joined SCUM? Nobody saw that shit coming.

And I don't know if this is the type of shocking you mean, but Charlie Haas is forever over in my mind because he legitimately made my girlfriend throw up when he ate that loogie off the middle rope.
Northwoods_Nightmare

Post by Northwoods_Nightmare »

trufreedom wrote:And I don't know if this is the type of shocking you mean, but Charlie Haas is forever over in my mind because he legitimately made my girlfriend throw up when he ate that loogie off the middle rope.
:lol: Yes. That's great.

And the "re-debut" of SCUM was great! I don't know if it was a shocking moment since it was pretty well known that something was going to happen with SCUM and people would be joining, but I think it was way bigger and better than expected. Especially considering that the last big reveal before this was that the Guardians of Truth were the Headbangers.
WHG

Post by WHG »

Elgin losing to Briscoe is the most shocked I've ever been from an ROH result. His win over Steen was surprising, but the circumstances were so different. I honestly thought they'd never give anyone a 2nd reign again...and it still seemed like they were intent on proving themselves right by anointing Elgin on the 1st PPV. It's probably the most ballsy call Delirious has ever made...and in hindsight (actually the following day even) it was 100% the right move.

I'll never forget where I was. My family was on vacation and I was in a pitch dark hotel room with my wife and our 3 sleeping kids. They were all exhausted from the day and were fast asleep, so I'm sitting there watching the iPPV on my iPad with headphones on trying to be quiet. I think I may still have whisper-screamed "holy shit!" when Sinclair's hand hit the mat the 3rd time. Unreal. Briscoe's shocked-face look was so perfect, too.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

There were elements in real life and in storyline that were very surprising about Jay Briscoe and Michael Elgin.

If not that moment, then perhaps it's Morishima's title victory the night after his debut loss. If your memory is hazy:
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

Punk over Aries for the ROH World title. And if that wasn't enough, Punk had the crowd eating out of the palm of his hand and cuts a million dollar heel promo out of nowhere. Then Christopher Daniels runs out of nowhere to chase off Punk because they have unfinished business. It was one holy shit moment after another.
JigsawVs.Jason

Post by JigsawVs.Jason »

trufreedom wrote:I can remember reading the results from Manhattan Mayhem IV and having to check a different website, because I thought the result of the main event MUST have been a typo.
I agree that was the most shocking title change in recent memory (in all of wrestling). Briscoe/Elgin is closely behind that one.
"If anyone complains about how today's pro wrestling isn't as good as the past and isn't watching New Japan, their opinions have no validity." ~ Dave Meltzer
enigma89

Post by enigma89 »

I definitely did not expect Eddie Edwards to beat Roderick Strong and win the ROH title, considering that Davey Richards was the favorite to win the ROH title next. It truly caught be off guard.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Mr. Mojo Risin wrote:Punk over Aries for the ROH World title. And if that wasn't enough, Punk had the crowd eating out of the palm of his hand and cuts a million dollar heel promo out of nowhere. Then Christopher Daniels runs out of nowhere to chase off Punk because they have unfinished business. It was one holy shit moment after another.
Memphis Mark

Post by Memphis Mark »

The debt of the Age of the Fall after the Briscoe vs. Steen/ Generico ladder war. . Jay Briscoe was hung up over the ring by his feet , while Jimmy Jacobs cut a promo standing under him. Jimmy was wearing a white suit that was being drenched in Jay's blood.

Another moment was the Jay Briscoe vs. Samoa Joe cage match from AT OUR BEST . Jay bled buckets that night.
Tim

Post by Tim »

For me it was when Morishima won the world title.
JustSkiff

Post by JustSkiff »

100% Punk winning the belt in his farewell.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

The AOTF debut was pretty shocking.

Jay beating Elgin is definitely the most shocking of the past few years, though.
DBSommer

Post by DBSommer »

Dunn and Marcos picking up their first victory against what was supposed to be Nana's 'new team' of himself and Jimmy Jack Cash. They were stepping stone jobbers that were supposed to establish the new team, or so we thought. I don't think anyone saw that coming.

The Backseat Boyz dropping their first title defense against Special K. BB were built up to be this premiere tag team that had just won the titles the previous card in a gauntlet.
Sardonic Artery

Post by Sardonic Artery »

Northwoods_Nightmare wrote:
trufreedom wrote:And I don't know if this is the type of shocking you mean, but Charlie Haas is forever over in my mind because he legitimately made my girlfriend throw up when he ate that loogie off the middle rope.
:lol: Yes. That's great.

And the "re-debut" of SCUM was great! I don't know if it was a shocking moment since it was pretty well known that something was going to happen with SCUM and people would be joining, but I think it was way bigger and better than expected. Especially considering that the last big reveal before this was that the Guardians of Truth were the Headbangers.
By "great" you mean awful? Because everything referenced here is awful. Rapidly increasing a stable signifies its death and SCUM did that in one night... with a bunch of dudes that A) no one cared about; and B) some of whom immediately disappeared.
I am cosmetically pleasing.
Sardonic Artery

Post by Sardonic Artery »

What about Jeff Hardy's amazing ROH debut? Could just run that match as a Botchamania episode (though I did love all of Punk's heel work on Hardy's exit from the E).
I am cosmetically pleasing.