Top Prospect 2016

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Memphis Mark

Top Prospect 2016

Post by Memphis Mark »

I have been out of the loop for several months and am trying to catch up on things. The 2016 Top Prospect Tournament should be cranking up soon. I am interested to see how many wrestlers will be booked for this event. Also , I am curious to see how the NXT/ Evolve alliance will effect the quality of the talent pool. Peter Kassa just signed with Evolve . One would think that Kassa would have been added to the ROH roster ASAP , he has a big upside. Matthew Riddle from the Monster Factory has joined Evolve. Gabe will let anyone out of their deal to join NXT. So it looks the the WWE game plan is to identify potential money drawing talent and place them in Evolve , then NXT and then the WWE main brand. Thus slowing down the new talent flow to ROH , NJPW and LU . It appears that is what is going with the WWE / Evolve deal.

Anyway I recall Kevin Kelly stating that ROH could fill a 50 man TPT because the talent pool was deep. A few names come to mind. These 8 have all been to the camps. Any other interesting names ?

Andy Dalton
Americous
Shane Taylor
Keith Lee
David Starr
Lio Rush
Ben Ortiz
Shabazz Ali
GrizzlyHorsemen

Re: Top Prospect 2016

Post by GrizzlyHorsemen »

David Starr, JT Dunn and Jonathan Gresham are the first three names I hope to see announced.
Thelone

Post by Thelone »

Starr is garbage, let him stink up the joint anywhere else.
http://thelone.be/ => My site, which means a bunch of random stuff really.
DBSommer

Post by DBSommer »

GrizzlyHorsemen wrote:David Starr, JT Dunn and Jonathan Gresham are the first three names I hope to see announced.
Gresham was already in the first one.
The Real McCoy

Post by The Real McCoy »

Danny Duggan
lariat_tubman

Post by lariat_tubman »

Ariya Daivari. He's had a couple matches with ROH and he's too good to be toiling in the MN indy scene.
JTGrasby

Post by JTGrasby »

The Real McCoy wrote:Danny Duggan
Enjoyed his match with Mark Briscoe awhile ago, I'd like to see him included.
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

Lio Rush
David Starr
Danny Duggan
Shaheem Ali

And then i don´t know it would be cool to see JT Dunn vs David Starr happening in the tournament
dark patriot

Post by dark patriot »

i like Starr and Dunn as much as anybody but i dont feel the need to see that match in ROH(or anywhere else for a long time).

Rush would be a great addition. saw him and Red tear it up at marvelous puroresu.
Ladrao12

Post by Ladrao12 »

JT Dunn, David Starr, Lio Rush, Fred Yehi, Matt Cage, Jonathan Gresham, Chris Dickinson, Shynron, AR Fox, Chip Day, Joe Black, Davey Vega, Tyler Thomas, Alessandro Del Bruno, Alex Daniels, John Silver, Alex Reynolds.

A lot of names, but if ROH even took 4 or 5 of the names above, they'd be setting themselves up for the next few years. Some of the names I listed may never happen due to living in Canada, or whatever other reason may be a setback, but there are some names here who could really do well in ROH and really deserve a look.
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

Jonathan Gresham was in the first Top Prospect tournament so he can´t be on this one, i hope they bring him again to wrestle more dates with them though
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

Would love to see Lio Rush and Matt Cage as has been suggested.

Rey Horus would be cool but I think he'll be doing AAA.

Maybe ROH could get a deal going with CMLL since they're partnered with New Japan and get someone like Dragon Kid Lee or someone else in.
Last edited by TYFDK on Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FanSinceHDNet

Post by FanSinceHDNet »

Not a really big David Starr fan in ring and a lot of rumblings that he has a high opinion of himself outside of it, for whatever that is worth.

I think Shaheem Ali has to be as close as a lock with how much he has appeared in non-televised matches and probably Tim Hughes, too. He and Evans apparently cut an in-ring promo in Dayton about how Evans was going to take Hughes to a win in the Top Prospect Tournament.

I would think if Lio Rush hasn't signed anything making him Evolve exclusive, he will probably get strong consideration. There is a guy that has been popping up in results as the Outlaw (not Charlie Haas...) in similar frequency to Ali that might get used.

Here are a few other names that had dark matches in 2015 that might get a look. (Note: some of these names are obviously veterans but would be new to ROH TV)

Punisher Martinez had a few
Marc Haus
Americos
"Dirty" Andy Daulton

From photos from the most recent camp, it looks like Vinny Marseglia was there and he has some ROH ties (I think he took the pin at the iPPV in the match for an ROH contract against QT Marshall?).

Kongo has had some dark matches again this year, I think, but was already in a Top Prospect Tournament.

Beast Ortiz from House of Hardcore has a really cool look, has been to ROH tryouts and was part of the contingent that Whitmer brought down in New York as part of a gauntlet that Colby was supposed to face but has not been seen since then. I really like what I have seen from Ortiz - reminds me a lot of Bam Bam Bigelow but different enough not to be a carbon copy. Of all the guys, I hope Beast Ortiz gets a shot in the Top Prospect Tournament, personally.
Memphis Mark

Post by Memphis Mark »

Dylan Bostic work a Nashville dark match . He is a OWV guy . Anyone seen him work ?
BlackLesnar

Post by BlackLesnar »

SHAHEEM ALI
COLBY CORINO
BOY #1 & BOY #2
SAMSON WALKER
KEVIN LEE DAVIDSON
JONATHON GRESHAM JONATHON GRESHAM JONATHON GRESHAM
MAYBE THAT GUY WHO FERRARA MANAGED WHO DROPPED OUT THAT ONE YEAR

I'll believe Gresham can't be in 2 tournaments when ROH officially say so. Especially considering his first one barely even counts.
I'm gonna be at the top of the mountain in three years, with or without this belt. I'm gonna be the best that ever lived. And what you don't understand is, even if I don't get that far, at least I had the courage to get off my ass and try.
trufreedom

Post by trufreedom »

I agree, there is nothing saying you can't have been in two top prospect tournaments.

I think Colby is an absolute lock, and Daivari is both likely and a good option. I agree about the boys, too, could be a good choice, if only to do some jobs.
Thelone

Post by Thelone »

Memphis Mark wrote:Dylan Bostic work a Nashville dark match . He is a OWV guy . Anyone seen him work ?
OVW is completely irrelevant nowadays and no one vaguely interesting seems to come out of their wrestling school anymore, so I doubt he's some kind of hidden gem.
http://thelone.be/ => My site, which means a bunch of random stuff really.
Memphis Mark

Post by Memphis Mark »

Thelone wrote:
Memphis Mark wrote:Dylan Bostic work a Nashville dark match . He is a OWV guy . Anyone seen him work ?
OVW is completely irrelevant nowadays and no one vaguely interesting seems to come out of their wrestling school anymore, so I doubt he's some kind of hidden gem.
Oh , I don't know about all that , I try to keep an opened mind about new talent . I am sure there is some talent in OWV , after all Rip Rogers is their head trainer.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

With all the rumors surrounding the New Japan young lions being set for excursion, I would like to see Sho Tanaka in this tournament. The prevailing rumors seem to be saying that Yohei Komatsu is going to CMLL while Tanaka goes to ROH. I think it would be a great way to introduce him.

I'd also like to to see Lio Rush in this tournament. He was very impressive on the last set of Evolve shows.
Northwoods_Nightmare

Post by Northwoods_Nightmare »

Tanaka would be great.
I've been a fan of what I've seen of Samson Walker. Would like to see him in the tournament.
"The Outlaw" has been on a few pre-shows I've seen. But he's way to gimmicky at the moment. Anyone know his actual name? I can't ever catch it over the live mic.
I think Gresham should be in it. What does it matter if he has been in before? He hasn't gotten an ROH spot, and he's still definitely a top prospect. Put him in.
I thought Marseglia was in the TPT before too? But maybe not. He was for sure on a couple early episodes of TV I think.