Tuesday Rollout

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
ROHWorld_Steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Tuesday Rollout

Post by ROHWorld_Steven »

Can somebody explain to me the problem with DVD-Rs? Somebody on twitter moaned about it as well and I'm just confused!
classic-cabana
Donator
Donator

Post by classic-cabana »

ROHWorld_Steven wrote:Can somebody explain to me the problem with DVD-Rs? Somebody on twitter moaned about it as well and I'm just confused!

DVD-rs are the blue discs you get to record/burn stuff onto.

They are alot cheaper and are smaller than DVDs in terms of memory. For best quality, DVDrs should have 2 hours of footage per disc.

In theory anything longer than 2 hours on DVD-r will be compressed and should be of a lower quality. Thats why SMV release shows on 2 DVD-rs to avoid this. Didnt know ROH were releasing the new shows on DVDr, bit shitty if they are doing this on one disc, but I havent seen them so cant judge the quality.

It also matters to some which brand of DVDr is being used, obviously the better brands cost more and last longer.
ROHdk

Post by ROHdk »

I think it's only the reprints of these older shows they do as DVD-R. I have the Glory By Honor X and The Battle In The Carolinas DVDs, and those are not DVD-Rs.
NorthBayfan001

Post by NorthBayfan001 »

Very disappointed to hear they are DVD-Rs, I was planning on buying the Final Coutdown Dayton & Chicago, buy that will not be happening now.

Could someone tell me if they are single layer, or dual layer? If they are single, the compression on them is gonna look terrible!
ROHWorld_Steven
Admin
Admin

Thanks for the replies guys, I didn't know this was such a huge problem.

When did they stop using DVD-Rs? Somebody complained to ROH on Twitter and they replied saying to email them with their order number, so if you're not happy then I guess you'll be able to get a refund. Is the quality notably poorer?
classic-cabana
Donator
Donator

Post by classic-cabana »

I havent check but Id be shocked if ROH were not stating that the dvds were DVDrs on the shop listing.

If all regular releases were in this format I certainly wouldnt pay full whack for them like I do now.

The quality of footage WILL decrease due to compression. Usually pixelation during fast action etc (no problem when Haas is wrestling then ;))
sideeffect

Post by sideeffect »

ROH DVDs are generally 7.50-8.50GB dual layer, i'm guessing the reprints are single layer which only hold 4.36GB, so there will definitely be compression and pixelation issues especially shows longer than 2 hours.

When they had ROH Videos, that was generally how it was...i burned couple shows from there; Death Before Dishonor IV and Final Battle 2006 and quality was pretty bad since those shows were over 3 hours on a 4.36GB disc. Those held over til i found original copies of both on ebay.
ROHFanAnthony
Donator
Donator

Post by ROHFanAnthony »

Today is Tuesday and they released nothing new. Strange.
sideeffect

Post by sideeffect »

My guess is its the Norfolk show, if it was a compilation it would have been hyped on the March 15 newswire.

Didn't even get an email in the morning about Tuesday rollout. It will probably be released later in the day. Would pick up especially during the March Mayhem sale.
ROHWorld_Steven
Admin
Admin

They normally send out e-mails in the early morning so it's probably the Norfolk show. I'm hoping it is as the Homecoming show was released ages ago and I need my ROH fix!
astoph

Post by astoph »

sideeffect wrote:My guess is its the Norfolk show, if it was a compilation it would have been hyped on the March 15 newswire.

Didn't even get an email in the morning about Tuesday rollout. It will probably be released later in the day. Would pick up especially during the March Mayhem sale.
I would'nt be surprised if we did'nt see anything new with that sale going on.
SM22

Post by SM22 »

Today's newswire said there won't be any new releases this week, but there will be next week.
KaceCC

Post by KaceCC »

Kevin Kelly told me on Twitter that the Norfolk and Cincinnati shows would be in one DVD set ala Battle of the Carolinas.
ROHdk

Post by ROHdk »

KaceCC wrote:Kevin Kelly told me on Twitter that the Norfolk and Cincinnati shows would be in one DVD set ala Battle of the Carolinas.
Cool, you get more value for your money that way.
Chaosphere

Post by Chaosphere »

KaceCC wrote:Kevin Kelly told me on Twitter that the Norfolk and Cincinnati shows would be in one DVD set ala Battle of the Carolinas.
I hope this is available for the SITS double shot!
Chaosphere

Post by Chaosphere »

Chaosphere wrote:
I hope this is available for the SITS double shot!
Tweeted Kevin Kelly asking if they would be out for SITS and he got back to me saying they will be out Tuesday! RESULT!
sideeffect

Post by sideeffect »

The latest newswire confirms that the Norfolk and Cincinnati shows will be titled "Rise & Prove". Been reading the results and both shows look decent. Not in a rush to pick it up but likely wait til a decent sale.

Have a backlog of some 2011 shows that i have to catch up on before i start with The Homecoming 2012.
Bern

Post by Bern »

NorthBayfan001 wrote:Very disappointed to hear they are DVD-Rs, I was planning on buying the Final Coutdown Dayton & Chicago, buy that will not be happening now.

Could someone tell me if they are single layer, or dual layer? If they are single, the compression on them is gonna look terrible!
I have regulars of all 4 final countdown tour shows. Bought on release day for sale.
GardenStateSaint

Post by GardenStateSaint »

sideeffect wrote:The latest newswire confirms that the Norfolk and Cincinnati shows will be titled "Rise & Prove". Been reading the results and both shows look decent. Not in a rush to pick it up but likely wait til a decent sale.

Have a backlog of some 2011 shows that i have to catch up on before i start with The Homecoming 2012.
I'm anxious to see that Norfolk show, not so much with that Cincinnati show.
Tomato cans don't stand a chance.
ROHWorld_Steven
Admin
Admin

Cincinnati and Norfolk double set DVD released today - surprising to see that they've gone with Cincy as the main show with Norfolk as the bonus.

Also out today are a couple of hideous t-shirts for Strong and Lethal.