Official Survival of the Fittest 2015 Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
DXvsNWO1994

Official Survival of the Fittest 2015 Thread

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

Ring of Honor's annual fall tradition returns, as eighteen men will vie for a shot at the Ring of Honor World Title!!

Survival of the Fittest 2015 Entrants

- ROH World TV Champion Roderick Strong
- Jay Briscoe
- Mark Briscoe
- ACH
- Matt Sydal
- "Unbreakable" Michael Elgin
- Moose
- Raymond Rowe
- Hanson
- Dalton Castle
- Christopher Daniels
- Frankie Kazarian
- Kenny King
- Rhett Titus
- Adam Cole
- Silas Young
- Adam Page
- Cedric Alexander

Survival of the Fittest 2015: Night 1
Milwaukee, Wisconsin 11/13/15

- Six-Man Tag - The Bullet Club ("The Phenomenal" AJ Styles & The Young Bucks) vs. The House of Truth (ROH World Champion Jay Lethal, Donovan Dijak, & Joey Daddiego with Truth Martini)
- ROH World Tag Team Titles - The Kingdom (Matt Taven & Michael Bennett with Maria Kanellis) vs. reDRagon
- Survival of the Fittest Qualifying Match & Best of Five Series: Match #5 - ACH vs. Matt Sydal
- Survival of the Fittest Qualifying Match - ROH World TV Champion Roderick Strong vs. Cedric Alexander (with Veda Scott)
- Survival of the Fittest Qualifying Match - Triple Threat - Adam Cole vs. Moose (with Stokely Hathaway) vs. "Unbreakable" Michael Elgin
- Survival of the Fittest Qualifying Match - Triple Threat - Silas Young vs. Dalton Castle vs. Adam Page (with BJ Whitmer)
- Survival of the Fittest Qualifying Match - Four-Corner Survival - Mark Briscoe vs. Christopher Daniels vs. Hanson vs. Kenny King
- Survival of the Fittest Qualifying Match - Four-Corner Survival - Jay Briscoe vs. Frankie Kazarian vs. Raymond Rowe vs. Rhett Titus

Survival of the Fittest 2015: Night 2
Hopkins, Minnesota 11/14/15

- Survival of the Fittest Finals - Christopher Daniels vs. ROH World TV Champion Roderick Strong vs. Silas Young vs. Jay Briscoe vs. "Unbreakable" Michael Elgin vs. ACH
- The House of Truth (ROH World Champion Jay Lethal & Donovan Dijak with Truth Martini) vs. reDRagon
- "The Phenomenal" AJ Styles vs. Matt Sydal
- Six-Man Tag - The Kingdom (Adam Cole & ROH World Tag Team Champions Matt Taven & Michael Bennett with Maria Kanellis) vs. Moose & War Machine
- Adam Page (with BJ Whitmer) vs. Dalton Castle
- The All-Night Express vs. The Young Bucks
- Mark Briscoe vs. Frankie Kazarian
- Cedric Alexander vs. Will Ferrara

Keep all discussions here...
Last edited by DXvsNWO1994 on Sat Nov 14, 2015 1:30 pm, edited 10 times in total.
DXvsNWO1994

Re: Official Survival of the Fittest 2015 Thread

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

Fans were shocked when ACH decided to test his skill against his tag team partner, Matt Sydal. ACH has been looking for a chance to prove to not only himself, but to the rest of the world, that he is ready for the next level in Ring of Honor. Sydal, never one to shy away from a challenge, especially one as unique as this, accepted immediately.

ROH Match Maker Nigel McGuinness signed not just a singles match, but decided a true test would come in the form of a Best of 5 series.

Sydal stormed out to a 1-0 lead in the series in Dearborn, Michigan. ACH responded with a win the following night in Chicago Ridge, IL, evening the series at 1-1. ACH won live on Pay-Per-View at All Star Extravaganza and Sydal rebounded with a victory the next night in San Antonio.

This series has come down to a 5th and deciding match, but there is a catch: the winner will not only be able to say they were the best between the two, they will also qualify as the first entrant into Survival of The Fittest '15.

Both men have given their all and both are hungry to be the ultimate victor. Sydal is a veteran who has accomplished so much in Ring of Honor, yet he strives for even more. ACH has set short-term and long-term goals and his short-term goal is right in front of him. He needs the win the Best of 5 series to show his value.

Survival of The Fittest is the most historic tournament in Ring of Honor. It has been won by legendary athletes such as Bryan Danielson, Delirious, Tyler Black, and Jay Lethal. It's long been regarded as a critical step toward greatness in ROH and a huge accomplishment for whomever wins it.

SURVIVAL OF THE FITTEST begins with a round of qualifying matches. In the past, there's been everything from singles competition to tag matches to Four Corner Survival qualifiers, but whatever hand an ROH athlete is dealt in the qualifier, if they can pull out a victory, it's only the beginning.

The final of SURVIVAL OF THE FITTEST is an absolutely grueling Six Way Elimination match to determine most dominant athlete of the entire tournament!

Sydal and ACH have taken to the sky and delivered on fans' expectations. It has come down to one more battle with a huge opportunity awaiting the winner. They will not disappoint! The two athletes will prove why Ring of Honor delivers the best wrestling on the planet; you will not want to miss your chance to see these two do battle among the stars!
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

I absolutely hate the whole "some qualifiers are singles, some are three-ways, some are four-ways" bit. Why should some guys face a much more difficult qualifier than others. It hardly seems fair. What's so bad about just sticking to f*cking singles matches, which makes a lot more sense.
Also, the point of Survival of the Fittest is to be the guy who never gets pinned. These qualifiers allow you to lose the tournament without being pinned.
KL_

Post by KL_ »

Big Red Machine wrote:I absolutely hate the whole "some qualifiers are singles, some are three-ways, some are four-ways" bit. Why should some guys face a much more difficult qualifier than others. It hardly seems fair. What's so bad about just sticking to f*cking singles matches, which makes a lot more sense.
Also, the point of Survival of the Fittest is to be the guy who never gets pinned. These qualifiers allow you to lose the tournament without being pinned.
Same here. I don't like these changes :x
JTCole

Post by JTCole »

So this officially sets up the Final Battle main event I take it?
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

JTCole wrote:So this officially sets up the Final Battle main event I take it?
I think Styles is getting his title shot at Final Battle, while the SOTF Winner will get his shot on a different show.
Big Red Machine

JTCole wrote:So this officially sets up the Final Battle main event I take it?
Not necessarily. The SOTF winner has only gotten their shot at Final Battle twice, and with AJ still having an outstanding title shot that he earned at the last PPV, there is no reason to assume that the SOTF winner will get his title shot at Final Battle this year.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

I think it's pretty evident that the only reason we're getting these multi-man qualifying matches is because they wanted to put more people in the tournament. That being said, it looks like there are going to be a few tag teams in this year's tournament, so I don't see why they couldn't have made at least one of the Qualifying Matches a Tag Team Match like they did in 2011.
Northwoods_Nightmare

Post by Northwoods_Nightmare »

I don't like this format. Not only does it not make sense, but I think it will hurt overall tournament quality. Singles qualifying matches have more potential for a really great first round, where 4CS and triple threats are generally fun but less memorable.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

i dont like the format too

can we get at least some new names,surprises...man i know that roh roster is so big but is always good to see new faces or surprises for tournaments like these,so much talent anywhere,just look at pwg bola..
Big Red Machine

Totally agree with the call for newer talent. Whatever happened with AR Fox's tryout?
I haven't seen the Lockport show yet (planning on watching it tomorrow), but if Stevie Richards had a good showing, I wouldn't even mind seeing him the tournament, just as something to make this year different.
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

I get the arguments for the new format, but I kinda like it. I'm a sucker for 4CS.

Though like most of you, I hope we get new blood in there.
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

Cole, O´Reilly & Fish are a lock i think so that leave us with one open spot they can use with someone like Cedric Alexander or Adam Page so i don´t expect any new name.

PD= I just remember that they could include Roderick Strong too.
Last edited by 187_Joeism on Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

187_Joeism wrote:Cole, O´Reilly & Fish are a lock i think so that leave us with one open spot they can use with someone like Cedric Alexander or Adam Page so i don´t expect any new name.

18 spots though, not 12.
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

TYFDK wrote:
187_Joeism wrote:Cole, O´Reilly & Fish are a lock i think so that leave us with one open spot they can use with someone like Cedric Alexander or Adam Page so i don´t expect any new name.

18 spots though, not 12.
Yeah i did the math wrong :lol:

Well then we can have some surprises i hope.
Northwoods_Nightmare

Really hoping for someone from NJPW. KUSHIDA has a decent argument for a title shot so it would be great to get him in the tourney.
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

That is a possibility. The Super Jr. Tag Tournament ends the 7th so he may be free.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

kushida is so great,it could be awesome
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

I hope they book Corey Hollis or Jonathan Gresham here, it could be a good chance for them to impress and earn a spot.
Northwoods_Nightmare

187_Joeism wrote:I hope they book Corey Hollis or Jonathan Gresham here, it could be a good chance for them to impress and earn a spot.
That's what the Top Prospect tournament is for. SOTF should focus more on a tournament of the very best with maybe one darkhorse whose already somewhat established (i.e. Page or Moose).

Unless you just mean on the show, non-tournamnet. Then I agree. I loved their tag match against the Decade from Winter Warriors Atlanta 2015 (man, these show names suck).