Official Survival of the Fittest 2015 Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
YimYac

Re: Official Survival of the Fittest 2015 Thread

Post by YimYac »

Thelone wrote:
Burnside wrote:Because Roddy's been feuding with Lethal for months and Champions vs All-Stars ended with Roddy, Lethal, and AJ in the ring staring at each other in wrestling's time-honored "we will have a three-way" fashion.
Huh. I hope this is a red herring because the Lethal/Roddy feud should be done for now and that would be some shitty 50-50 booking where Lethal must get his win back for no reason.
187_Joeism wrote:TRIPLE THREAT
"UNBREAKABLE" MICHAEL ELGIN VS. ADAM COLE VS. MOOSE w/ STOKELY HATHAWAY
Gee, I wonder who will be eating the pin here. Also, does ROH really need to give some goofy nickname to everyone these days, even barely relevant managers ?
Said when talking about the match where two people don't have nicknames. Alright.
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

SURVIVAL OF THE FITTEST is back for 2015! The Ring of Honor tradition returns November 13th in Milwaukee, WI and November 14th in Hopkins, MI. SURVIVAL OF THE FITTEST is one of the most grueling tournaments in all of professional wrestling, where the winner has to endure two nights of competition against the top ROH stars. The prize? A future ROH World Championship opportunity!

Past winners of this prestigious tournament include Delirious, Roderick Strong, "Unbreakable" Michael Elgin, Adam Cole, and current ROH World and Television Champion Jay Lethal. This year, the SURVIVAL OF THE FITTEST field will be comprised of 18 of the biggest stars in Ring of Honor. On November 13th in Milwaukee, the first round of matches will consist of:

- Two 4-Corner Survival Matches
- Two Triple Threat Matches
- Two Singles Matches

One winner from each match Milwaukee will advance to the SURVIVAL OF THE FITTEST 6-Man Elimination Match the following night on November 14th in Hopkins! Also, the final match in the Best of Five challenge series between Matt Sydal and ACH will also serve as a qualifying match for SURVIVAL OF THE FITTEST.

And can now, the entrants of the second Triple Threat match qualifier have been announced!

TRIPLE THREAT
DALTON CASTLE VS. SILAS YOUNG VS. ADAM PAGE w/ BJ WHITMER

There is an ancient Greek word Kairos that means “opportune moment”. For Adam Page and B.J. Whitmer, their Kairos could be staring them in the face come Friday November 13, 2015 at Turner Hall in Milwaukee, WI!

Page has made a steady climb through the ranks of ROH for the greater part of three years. Even detractors of B.J. Whitmer would admit Page’s growth has accelerated since Whitmer took Page under his wing. Now Page enters a triple threat match in Milwaukee where his two opponents will have their minds set on resolving a deeply personal issue, putting Page in a situation where he may just have to swoop in like a vulture and pick the bones of both fallen men in order to advance to the Survival of the Fittest Finals the following night in Hopkins, MN!
But it likely won’t be that easy for the upstart from Virginia. Since joining Ring of Honor, the “Party Peacock” Dalton Castle has shown that he is both the sizzle and the steak. Through the glitter, elaborate ring gear, and his proclivity for a lavish lifestyle, Castle has quickly become one of the most popular and successful stars Ring of Honor has seen in some time. While it is true Castle and “The Last Real Man” Silas Young are embroiled in a feud driven by Young’s insistence on turning Castle’s “Boys into men”, Castle has proved he is still capable of winning despite the constant distraction Young’s behavior has become.

As for “The Last Real Man”, the normally-hated grappler may receive a hero’s welcome in his hometown of Milwaukee. In addition to the psychological edge of having The Boys in his corner, Young may have a home field advantage, adding extra-motivation to dispatch Castle once and for all and to defeat Page, a competitor Young last saw in the first round of the 2013 Top Prospect Tournament.

All three competitors in this triple threat have made their case for title shots throughout 2015 and have the win-loss records to prove it. Will this be Adam Page’s moment? Does Dalton Castle have enough focus to cut out the mental distress of losing The Boys and emerge victorious? Or can Silas Young leave Milwaukee a hometown hero, The Boys in tow, and head into Hopkins a Survival of the Fittest finalist? All three Ring of Honor stars are primed to the leave the Badger State a SOTF Finalist, who will find the intersection of experience and opportunity and leave Milwaukee a winner?

ROHWrestling.com will have all the latest updates on other athletes and matches slated for the huge two-night event. Don't miss your chance to witness ROH history as we crown this year's SURVIVAL OF THE FITTEST winner! To be there LIVE in Milwaukee, click HERE, and for tickets to Night 2 in Hopkins, click HERE!

SURVIVAL OF THE FITTEST: NIGHT 1
Friday, November 13th, 2015
The TURNER HALL BALLROOM
1034 N 4th St - Milwaukee, WI
7:30 pm CST

Matches signed:

*** SURVIVAL OF THE FITTEST 2015 QUALIFIERS ***

BEST OF 5 SERIES FINALE & SOTF '15 QUALIFIER
ACH VS. MATT SYDAL

4 CORNER SURVIVAL
MARK BRISCOE VS. CHRISTOPHER DANIELS VS. HANSON VS. KENNY KING

4 CORNER SURVIVAL
JAY BRISCOE VS. FRANKIE KAZARIAN VS. RAY ROWE VS. RHETT TITUS

TRIPLE THREAT
"UNBREAKABLE" MICHAEL ELGIN VS. ADAM COLE VS. MOOSE w/ STOKELY HATHAWAY

SURVIVAL OF THE FITTEST: NIGHT 2
Saturday, November 14th, 2015
Hopkins Eisenhower Community Center
1001 Minnesota 7 - Hopkins, Minnesota
7:00 PM CST

**MAIN EVENT**
SURVIVAL OF THE FITTEST FINALS

?? vs. ?? vs. ?? vs. ?? vs. ?? vs. ??
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

So the last single match it´s Roddy vs Cedric or Roddy vs an outside talent.
Thelone

Post by Thelone »

YimYac wrote:Said when talking about the match where two people don't have nicknames. Alright.
Big Mike, The Party Peacock, War Beard, whatever Fish used that one time (infamous ?), Big Stoke, King, Diesel going back to his actual name because HILARIOUS PUNS, and they might as well have called Moose "The Moose" in that blurb.
http://thelone.be/ => My site, which means a bunch of random stuff really.
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

I can not believe we're at the point where we're bitching about NICKNAMES.
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

Also...

Chief

Post by Chief »

TYFDK wrote:I can not believe we're at the point where we're bitching about NICKNAMES.
Not only that but there have always been nicknames in wrestling. 95% of the WWE roster has a nickname or two.

Hell almost everyone in real life has a nickname.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

I wonder if...
Spoiler: show
...Strong loses to Alexander here to set up a future title match, possibly at Final Battle?
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

Thelone wrote:
YimYac wrote:Said when talking about the match where two people don't have nicknames. Alright.
Big Mike, The Party Peacock, War Beard, whatever Fish used that one time (infamous ?), Big Stoke, King, Diesel going back to his actual name because HILARIOUS PUNS, and they might as well have called Moose "The Moose" in that blurb.
The only ones that really annoy me there are Big Stoke and the Party Peacock.
Disliking the Party Peacock is more a symptom of me disliking Dalton Castle on the whole. He's just too wacky and too much a one-note character.

Big Stoke... is just stupid. Not only is he not very big (which makes the announcers and the promotion look like a joke every time they say it), but if you're going to have a "Big Mike" why would you also have a "Big Stoke." But perhaps really more importantly... did STOKELY HATHAWAY really need a nickname? He's a jobber who happens to manage a dude. He doesn't need a f*cking nickname.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

DXvsNWO1994 wrote:I wonder if...
...Strong loses to Alexander here to set up a future title match, possibly at Final Battle?
I hope that will be the case because the second gentleman you mentioned really needs something to do right now, and I would fully support him winning the proposed Final Battle match that you suggested.
Chief

Post by Chief »

Big Red Machine wrote:
I hope that will be the case because the second gentleman you mentioned really needs something to do right now, and I would fully support him winning the proposed Final Battle match that you suggested.
I really enjoyed the new direction of the gentleman in question and think that this would be the perfect opportunity for ROH to turn things around with him.

I don't know if I'm fully behind him winning the proposed match however, because I feel there are a lot of unexplored stories and matches left with his proposed opponent.
AssShooter

Post by AssShooter »

H.O.T. vs Bullet Club for the card's last match ?
ImageImage
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

I like that SOTF it´s pretty open this year with a few guys that can win it, my SOTF prediction it´s Roddy vs ACH vs Rowe vs Daniels vs Cole vs Silas with ACH winning it all but also could see Elgin winning the tournament and having his match in the Japan tour next year.
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

AssShooter wrote:H.O.T. vs Bullet Club for the card's last match ?
Depends on AJ condition, if he can´t wrestle here i could see them booking Lethal & Dijak vs Young Bucks, if AJ it´s good to go i see HOT vs Bullet Club.
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

I assume Night 1 will also have AJ Styles & Young Bucks vs Lethal & Dijak & Daddiego?

I think the finals are Strong vs ACH vs Elgin vs Castle vs Somebody vs Somebody Else, with Roddy winning.
bigz38

Post by bigz38 »

FYI for Milwaukee, there's a College Basketball game across the street, so you may be paying for more expensive parking near the ballroom, and dealing with traffic in general.
jordidebaas

Post by jordidebaas »

Big Red Machine wrote:
Thelone wrote:
The only ones that really annoy me there are Big Stoke and the Party Peacock.
Disliking the Party Peacock is more a symptom of me disliking Dalton Castle on the whole. He's just too wacky and too much a one-note character.

Big Stoke... is just stupid. Not only is he not very big (which makes the announcers and the promotion look like a joke every time they say it), but if you're going to have a "Big Mike" why would you also have a "Big Stoke." But perhaps really more importantly... did STOKELY HATHAWAY really need a nickname? He's a jobber who happens to manage a dude. He doesn't need a f*cking nickname.
I think I've heard him mention at least five nicknames for himself. I don't really mind it, it's part of the gimmick he has been portraying the times he was on commentary, but I agree the announcers shouldn't really be putting it over. But apparently, that's the kind of stuff that happens if the booker doesn't tell the announcers what to say.
I was in the front line when we battled page 15
Northwoods_Nightmare

Post by Northwoods_Nightmare »

Strong vs Alexander and Young vs Lethal vs Castle will both be good matches.
Unfortunately there isn't really a main event level match in the first round, or really on the show as a whole. HOT vs BC would almost count, except for Diesel and Dijak being in there. The tag title match should probably main event, but the thought of the Kingdom main eventing is a little underwhelming.
Despite that, night 1 looks pretty strong as I'd say half the matches are upper mid-card level and the rest look fun.
He's not announced, but I'm holding out hope for Beer City Bruiser to make an appearance.
DBSommer

Post by DBSommer »

TYFDK wrote:I can not believe we're at the point where we're bitching about NICKNAMES.
FINE!

Too many people have beards in ROH right now.

Now are you happy?! I found something important to complain about.

:)
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

Chief wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:
I really enjoyed the new direction of the gentleman in question and think that this would be the perfect opportunity for ROH to turn things around with him.

I don't know if I'm fully behind him winning the proposed match however, because I feel there are a lot of unexplored stories and matches left with his proposed opponent.
Even if Strong defeats Alexander, they could still have Strong be eliminated in the actual Survival of the Fittest Finals, and have that set up a title match. If ACH wins the Best-of-Five Series, and he eliminates Strong, that could set up Strong/ACH for Final Battle.
AssShooter wrote:H.O.T. vs Bullet Club for the card's last match ?
Burnside wrote:I assume Night 1 will also have AJ Styles & Young Bucks vs Lethal & Dijak & Daddiego?
You would think so, if Styles is ready (I was first to predict this match on here. Makes all the sense in the world, booking wise).
187_Joeism wrote: Depends on AJ condition, if he can´t wrestle here i could see them booking Lethal & Dijak vs Young Bucks, if AJ it´s good to go i see HOT vs Bullet Club.
If anyone was wondering, Dave Meltzer noted today that the specific injury was a sciatic nerve issue (It was said that it's not severe, but he does need to rest for a bit). At the moment, he's still scheduled to work Power Struggle in a tag match with Bad Luck Fale against Toru Yano & Yoshi-Hashi (which I'm sure will be a comedy match). That show is on November 7th, a week before Survival of the Fittest, so the Bullet Club/HOT Trios Match is still possible. Either way, him being in tags is good because he won't need to do a lot (compared to high-profile singles match).