Interesting note from Kevin Kelly

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
WHG

Interesting note from Kevin Kelly

Post by WHG »

I just listened to Kevin Kelly's podcast from last week and he said something interesting that I haven't seen reported elsewhere. He mentioned to his producer on the show, kind of in passing, that he's going to Japan to call the 10/12 King of Pro Wrestling show at Sumo Hall. He didn't give any further context, though, or say who his color commentator would be, if any.

Options could be that he's doing English commentary for NJPW World or is recording an English track for some other outlet like an English version of the PPV or some kind of ROH distribution of the event (maybe airing matches on TV?). I have to believe that NJPW is flying him out, though, considering the cost involved.

Matches of interest for ROH talent are reDRagon vs Roppongi Vice for the Jr Tag Titles, Sydal vs Omega for the Jr Heavyweight Title, and the Okada vs Styles Main Event.

In any event, I hope he studies up.
187_Joeism

Re: Interesting note from Kevin Kelly

Post by 187_Joeism »

http://www.rohwrestling.com/news/roh-st ... ction-kobe

This article was weird at the time, maybe it´s relate with this.
WHG

Post by WHG »

Meltzer has reported that there have been talks of ROH doing traditional PPV New Japan events with Kelly and Corino commentating, similar to what Jarrett did last year for WK9 (which several of us noted at the time was a huge case of ROH dropping the ball and letting Jarrett in the door).

This all looks to be pointing toward something like that, but October certainly would be too soon. Maybe this is a dry run and they're preparing for them to do a WK10 PPV?
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

@voiceswrestling just tweeted this photo

Leo C

Post by Leo C »

I think NJPW should have English commentary for all of their broadcasted events. I know many people who are/were reluctant to get into Japanese wrestling because of the language barrier, and considering how popular New Japan is atm I think it's definitely worth it to fly 2 guys over to do it once a month (or even have them do it in a US studio, who knows).
Thelone

Post by Thelone »

The thing is, Kelly never sounds excited for anything unless it's shitty scrubs from the ROH dojo/seminars, Striker is just garbage and will break kayfabe for no reason about 4327 times during the show.

So yeah, I'm sticking with Japanese commentary even though I don't understand much outside of moves/names/yes.
http://thelone.be/ => My site, which means a bunch of random stuff really.
Leo C

Post by Leo C »

Thelone wrote:The thing is, Kelly never sounds excited for anything unless it's shitty scrubs from the ROH dojo/seminars, Striker is just garbage and will break kayfabe for no reason about 4327 times during the show.

So yeah, I'm sticking with Japanese commentary even though I don't understand much outside of moves/names/yes.
I'll definitely watch the Japanese version also. But I still think bad English commentary beats no English commentary.
Thelone

Post by Thelone »

Eh, even from a pure business standpoint, I can't see this being a success. They're trying to appeal to hardcore fans who already know how awful Kelly and Striker are, so it's not going to be this massive rush to hear Kelly who doesn't even understand ROH's storylines most of the time and Striker who will expose the business some more.
jordidebaas

Post by jordidebaas »

Is Striker confirmed for this?
I was in the front line when we battled page 15
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

No one's technically been confirmed. But it's likely. Him or Corino.
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

Meltzer is pretty definite that it's Kelly and Striker.

He also said neither Jim Ross nor Mauro Ranallo were even asked about doing it. Not sure if they would have done it anyway, but crazy not to ask them because they're both far better than Kelly. Clearly the person who made this call knows as little about US announcers as Kelly does about the NJPW product.

I regard Corino and Striker as just about equally bad. Again, I would have used Josh Barnett on color if he was willing.
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

My guess would have to be pricing. JR and Barnett are both pretty big names. One was the lead announcer of Monday Night Raw for ages, the other is a former UFC Heavyweight Champion. Neither of them are probably not that cheap. This isn't even one of NJPW's biggest shows, either. Plus, Kevin Kelly's the lead announcer for ROH, one of their partners. It makes sense why they'd have him do it.
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

TYFDK wrote:My guess would have to be pricing. JR and Barnett are both pretty big names. One was the lead announcer of Monday Night Raw for ages, the other is a former UFC Heavyweight Champion. Neither of them are probably not that cheap. This isn't even one of NJPW's biggest shows, either. Plus, Kevin Kelly's the lead announcer for ROH, one of their partners. It makes sense why they'd have him do it.
Would you not even ask Ross or Ranallo or Barnett, though? You'd go right for Kelly?

Ranallo and Barnet are calling NJPW's TV show every week, so they already know the product, and they're the best wrestling announce team on US TV right now.
WHG

Post by WHG »

I really think Meltzer was a little over the top on this and came off as being really removed from what's happening. First, it's highly likely that they have a good sense of what Ranallo and JR would cost to do this. If I know that someone typically charges X for their services and I only have 20% of that in my budget, I'm probably not going to waste anyone's time. Kelly only does ROH broadcasting and has a day job. Mauro Ranallo is a professional broadcaster busy with Boxing, MMA and other commitments. He isn't going to work for free (which Kelly might literally be doing for the chance to go to Japan and call this).

It's also rumored that ROH had been discussing distributing WK10 on PPV, so this may be part of that deal as well. It's obvious that Ranallo is 100x better than Kelly, but I think it's very tunnel-visioned to criticize NJPW or say they don't know what they're doing because they didn't contact him. None of us know what their real intentions and the scope of the deal.

The irony is that Ranallo probably makes the most difference to the people who are already subscribed to NJPWWorld (myself included) who will choose the Japanese commentary over Kelly anyway. The people where the barrier was English commentary are probably no less likely to subscribe with Kelly doing commentary than Ranallo. Ross is obviously a different story, but that seems like a pipe dream on an $8/mo service with a couple thousand US subscribers.
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

What I actually question is the need to fly these guys to Japan to call the shows. I mean, it's nice I guess, but I would be perfectly happy with the US announce team calling it from a US studio as long as the announcers actually know the NJPW product. Maybe they COULD get a Ross or Ranallo if they didn't have to go to Japan.
Thelone

Post by Thelone »

TYFDK wrote:My guess would have to be pricing. JR and Barnett are both pretty big names. One was the lead announcer of Monday Night Raw for ages, the other is a former UFC Heavyweight Champion. Neither of them are probably not that cheap. This isn't even one of NJPW's biggest shows, either. Plus, Kevin Kelly's the lead announcer for ROH, one of their partners. It makes sense why they'd have him do it.
Are you saying that the NJPW execs did some kind of imaginary seminar and chose the cheapest, most terrible people imaginable ?
The Dragon Saga

Post by The Dragon Saga »

NJPW didn't hire JR to do commentary, Jeff Jarrett did to get GFW publicity.

I even doubt NJPW got Barnett or Rannalo for AXS, I'd say AXS got them to do it.

NJPW most probably won't make a ton of money off of their English broadcasts. Kevin Kelly is the lead play-by-play in a promotion they're working with so of course he was going to get it. The real question is, why isn't Corino doing color? Matt Striker might be the single worst announcer, ever. I've never heard an announcer break kayfabe and use as many insider references as Matt Striker does. Its borderline criminal.
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

Thelone wrote:
Are you saying that the NJPW execs did some kind of imaginary seminar and chose the cheapest, most terrible people imaginable ?
Is that a serious question or are you just trying to make a jokey-joke?
WHG

Post by WHG »

Burnside wrote:What I actually question is the need to fly these guys to Japan to call the shows. I mean, it's nice I guess, but I would be perfectly happy with the US announce team calling it from a US studio as long as the announcers actually know the NJPW product. Maybe they COULD get a Ross or Ranallo if they didn't have to go to Japan.
This was the first thing I thought of as well and is what leads me to believe it might be related to some kind of dry run for WK10 on PPV or something. It's really overkill to have these guys live for this show otherwise.
Jeremy

Post by Jeremy »

I'm honestly not exaggerating but legitimately asking: Could there be a worse commentary team than Kelly/Striker? That seems like a rib getting the two worst announcers in wrestling together.