Interesting note from Kevin Kelly

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Marketh.

Re: Interesting note from Kevin Kelly

Post by Marketh. »

Corino/Striker?

Striker: "This guy spent a good part of his career struggling as A JOB GUY before being given the right opportunities..."
Corino: "Just like Thunderbolt Paterson!"
Last Real Man Hype
Northwoods_Nightmare

Post by Northwoods_Nightmare »

There's a good chance it has nothing to do with money and more to do with the fact I that there is an established working relationship between ROH and NJPW that they've obviously been working on increasing and growing. This is probably just another step in that process which I see as a good thing. For all we know ROH may have even been the one to suggest English commentary on this show.
IchaelMelgin

Post by IchaelMelgin »

Jeremy wrote:I'm honestly not exaggerating but legitimately asking: Could there be a worse commentary team than Kelly/Striker? That seems like a rib getting the two worst announcers in wrestling together.
personal nightmare team: Corino & DA POPE Elijah Burke, though you can easily slide Josh Matthews in there

has there been a good high-profile US color commentator since Heenan?
Northwoods_Nightmare

Post by Northwoods_Nightmare »

I haven't heard a regular commentary team that I actually like in years. They're all terrible. Nigel gets it; he's great but doesn't commentate nearly enough to count. Excalibur's PWG schtick is enjoyable but wouldn't work anywhere outside PWG and isn't really the serious commentary style that I enjoy.
At the same time, I don't like watching matches without some sort of commentary.
Corino and Kelly are actually pretty good when they're serious and focused on the match, as they were for many of the NJPW/ROH matches. Unfortunately those situations are few and far between and the rest of the time they're terrible.
IchaelMelgin

Post by IchaelMelgin »

I never got how Nigel comes out for ROH main events. He's good, and clearly earned the right to commentate on the company's most important match-ups, but he's not part of the team by now? It's confusing, he always seems to be back & forth during shows
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

I actually like that he does it. Nigel lives in California, so they bring him only to the big shows. He's the Matchmaker. ROH does that well in the respect that he doesn't have an agenda to ruin the life of a particular wrestler, and doesn't take up time on any show other than to make announcements, and he commentates main events of big shows. How well he does at keeping order and having straight matches and finishes is questionable, but how they use him is acceptable.
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

IchaelMelgin wrote:I never got how Nigel comes out for ROH main events. He's good, and clearly earned the right to commentate on the company's most important match-ups, but he's not part of the team by now? It's confusing, he always seems to be back & forth during shows
Sinclair suits pulled Nigel out of the booth for the TV show because they hate his accent, Meltzer reported.
IchaelMelgin

Post by IchaelMelgin »

those yank twats!
WHG

Post by WHG »

As commentary teams go, I really do think Ranallo and Josh Barnett calling New Japan on AXS are way better than anything out there. I'm not as down on Kelly and Corino either.

I like Nigel in the main events as it does give them a different feel, but there is one quirk with him that has become more noticeable to me. The best thing about him is he talks about match strategy as if it's a shoot, but sometimes he goes too far in pointing out wrestlers doing stupid things (if it were a shoot) or negatives in ways that makes them look bad.

A recent example was him talking about how tired O'Reilly looked during the ASE main event. That struck me as a position where you'd want to sell how tough the match is...or how good of shape Lethal is in that he was hanging with the exhausted Kyle...but it came of as "Wow...O'Reilly is already out of gas" to me. It's a fine line, but sometimes I kind of cringe when he points stuff like that out.
Blackshirt30

Post by Blackshirt30 »

It's a shame it isn't Ranallo, I love him on NJPW on AXS TV.