Official Glory By Honor XIV (Champions vs. All-Stars) Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
GardenStateSaint

Re: Official Glory By Honor XIV (Champions vs. All-Stars) Th

Post by GardenStateSaint »

ZTStyles wrote:I feel conflicted about Saturday in Dayton.

I'm still looking forward to going to the show, I'm counting the days to be honest, but I do wish the card had maybe been a tad better for being a Glory By Honor card.
Enjoy yourself and the show and make a lot of noise.
Tomato cans don't stand a chance.
GardenStateSaint

So when do yesterday tapings start to air?
jordidebaas

Post by jordidebaas »

This weekend and next week will still have matches from SA, so probably the week after that.

That would mean if they'd tape four episodes on this taping and the next one, that would take us to the weekend after FB, so I really hope they only tape three episodes on one of the those, otherwise they're once again not going to follow up their PPV with new episodes the week after it.
I was in the front line when we battled page 15
GardenStateSaint

jordidebaas wrote:This weekend and next week will still have matches from SA, so probably the week after that.

That would mean if they'd tape four episodes on this taping and the next one, that would take us to the weekend after FB, so I really hope they only tape three episodes on one of the those, otherwise they're once again not going to follow up their PPV with new episodes the week after it.
The episode the week after Final Battle I'm assuming would be some best of 2015 episode, right?
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

Champions vs. All-Stars will now be...
Spoiler: show
ROH World Champion Jay Lethal, ROH World TV Champion Roderick Strong, & ROH World Tag Team Champions The Kingdom vs. ACH, Moose, & The Addiction
Caprice Coleman vs. Samson Walker has also been added.
jordidebaas

Post by jordidebaas »

GardenStateSaint wrote:
jordidebaas wrote:This weekend and next week will still have matches from SA, so probably the week after that.

The episode the week after Final Battle I'm assuming would be some best of 2015 episode, right?
They're holding TV tapings the day after Final Battle, so they could show an episode from those tapings, but I'm afraid it'll just be an episode from an old taping, effectively killing at least half of the momentum they might get from Final Battle
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

Juicy Details ‏@JuicyPodcast
ACH suffered a concussion last night. Dalton Castle takes his place in the All Stars vs Champions main event. #GBHXIV
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

187_Joeism wrote:Juicy Details ‏@JuicyPodcast
ACH suffered a concussion last night. Dalton Castle takes his place in the All Stars vs Champions main event. #GBHXIV
Hopefully it's not a serious concussion.
Fawrules

Post by Fawrules »

187_Joeism wrote:Juicy Details ‏@JuicyPodcast
Damn, Ring of Honor just can't catch a break in regards to the last handful of shows.
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

You guys didn't get results yet? I'll try to go by memory.

AJ Styles and ACH (concussion last night were announced as unable to compete. Main event was changed to Lethal, Strong, Taven & Bennett vs. Daniels, Kazarian, Moose, and Dalton Castle, who got a huge pop when announced.

- Future of Honor - Kongo vs. Ken Phoenix. Can't remember who won. I think Kongo.
- Women of Honor - Kelly Klein beat Ray Lyn in a very short match.
- Adam Cole beat Will Ferrara. Very good showing from
Ferrara.
- Caprice Coleman beat Samson Walker.
- ANX defeated the Beer City Bruiser and Silas Young. At one point, Silas threw the boys in to wrestle, and we're doing quite well, until Silas threw them back out.
- Michael Elgin beat Donovan Dijak. Like Ferrara, a really good performance from Dijak. Hopefully he gets more opportunities.
- Joey "Diesel" Daddiego beat Shaheem Ali. Truth cut a promo on Diesel going by his real name and ended it with "Who's Your Daddy?" The crowd loved making jokes at that.
- Cliff Compton beat Adam Page, Cedric Alexander, and "Brutal" Bob Evans. Evans came out to Cheeseburger's music, much to the chagrin of the crowd. He replaced Castle who was supposed to be in before being put in the main event. He cut a promo about Burger when Compton interrupted him to Cheeseburger's defense. Cool thing where every person or group accompanying a heel would attack Compton in plain sight, and the ref would throw them out. Tim Hughes (Evans), Veda Scott (Alexander), and BJ Whitmer & Colby Corino (Page) were all thrown out. Compton wins. Evans attacks after and Cheeseburger makes the save, telling Evans that he and Hughes attacked the wrong hand Friday night.
- The Briscoes beat War Machine. That was surprising to me. Good match.
- The Champions beat the All-Stars. Lethal and Strong were the only survivors. Styles on commentary. Fun match. Taven and Lethal were having a lot of fun on the apron. Taven still hates Truth.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

Compton over Adam Page? That is bullshit.
Mike0284

Post by Mike0284 »

Does anyone know how long the champs vs all stars match went?
Thelone

Post by Thelone »

Well that was a show that happened. That ACH injury sure seems like a big fat lie to protect him since he wasn't going to win now that Styles was out.

Also fucking Kongo is booked once again because he's such a top prospect...
http://thelone.be/ => My site, which means a bunch of random stuff really.
DBSommer

Post by DBSommer »

Thelone wrote:Well that was a show that happened. That ACH injury sure seems like a big fat lie to protect him since he wasn't going to win now that Styles was out.
Um, sure. They were totally terrified about not subbing in someone super over like Castle to accomplish what AJ would have done to the same effect. Especially when the way to 'protect' the champs would have been either Lethal or Roddy to cost one another the match since they have heat thanks to Roddy winning. Or you just have ACH as the last guy, then have Lethal and Roddy work him over until it takes several finishers from both of them to beat him. I'm sure it would hurt him terribly to have it take both champs beating the hell out of him two on one to eliminate him. :roll:
Thelone wrote: Also fucking Kongo is booked once again because he's such a top prospect...
It was a dark match. From the way they talked The Women of Honor match isn't going to be on the VOD either. It was after that they hyped everyone up for filming.

Actually it was a pretty good show, far better than it should have been since the 2 best guys on the All Star team were injured.
Last edited by DBSommer on Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
DBSommer

Post by DBSommer »

I'll do a quick review.

Hauled my way from Pittsburgh to Dayton to catch this one. Yes, I was disappointed in AJ's injury as he was one of the main reasons I was looking forward to the show, much as missing Nick Jackson bummed me for the Cali show. Been rotten luck on the ME's for me lately. Got a ringside seat for the first time just about in the middle of the row. Was worth the extra $20.

Got there late due to road contruction and misplacing the venue's address for my GPS to lead me there. With my direction sense I could get a lost in a brightly lit closet, so it's for my own protection that I use it.

Crowd was good, but not super hot like in February. But then again, that was an unexpectedly great card. It appeared Kelly shared commentary with BJ, Nana, then someone else. Bobby Cruise invited Corino to guest star with some in ring announcing later on.

Missed the dark match with Kongo and someone else.

Women of Honor Match: Kelly Kline vs. Ray Lyn

Lyn works out of IWC in Pittsburgh. She was squashed in about a minute and looked terrible in the process. Not even a good squash.

And from the way they spoke, this is where the VOD will kick off.

It's announced ACH has a concussion and is not medically cleared, and AJ can't compete either due to an injury as well.

Adam Cole vs. Will Ferrara

Good opener, but it's what you would expect from Cole. They broke the top rope in the opening minute, but worked around it. One of Ferrara's better matches as well.

Crowd died some due to the delay in fixing the top rope. And it didn't help that the next match was

Caprice Coleman vs. Samson Walker

I like Caprice well enough, but he's not nearly able to get over on his own. And this match actually kind of stunk. It was just there and meant to show Caprice is slowly going heel.

ANX vs. Silas Young & The Beer City Bruiser. I mean vs. The Boys. I mean vs. just Silas Young until BCB finishes his beer and joins his partner.

Yes, the opening is that back and forth for the storyline with the Silas/The Boys. Silas lets them have the match while he and BCB sit in with Kelly and BJ. The Boys did look decent against ANX for the several minutes they were in there and while it's early, is a good sign that when they start wrestling full time they might be good. Though it could be all they are good for is an opening sequence as well.

So Silas gets more angry than usual and tosses them out and restarts the original match, except he forgot his partner, who decides to finish the beer he started at the commentary table before helping Silas out. I have to admit, while I would be hesitant to have BCB in singles matches, he is a perfect accomplice in a Silas tag team.

Good match but it was also continuing the Silas/Boys storyline as well, so it served a purpose outside of Person A fights Person B.

Michael Elgin vs. Donovon Dijak.

Started out slow, but by the end became probably Dijak's best outing to date, thanks a lot to Elgin. And this is the problem with Elgin as well. The man is a good wrestler that has degenerated into a charismaless void. He got no reaction until things went on for a while in the ring. If anyone needed a spokespiece, it's him.

Post intermission match.

Shaheem Ali vs. J. Diesal

They gave Diesal some stupid nickname Martini is desperately trying to get over, and can't. Because it's J. Diesal, who probably is the least over member of the roster. Ali didn't look as botchy as he did wrestling Evans in Cali, at least. I know it's the post intermission match and this is where historically you stick the students matches since many people haven't gotten back to their seats, but the sooner Diesal disappears the better.

Four Way Match: Adam Page (w/BJ and Colby) vs. Cedric Alexander (w/Veda) vs. Bob Evans (w/Tim Hughs) vs. Cliff Compton

So apparently Bob had a love child with Eric Young and Tim Hughs is the result. I actually don't mind Bob as a character outside of the ring as a way of introducing someone new they want to use on at least a semi-regular basis, like Hughs. Bob cuts a good promo in his irritating Boston accent and can banter with the crowd at ringside. But in the ring, just... ugh. Compton was, well, Compton, a far better talker than worker. Page didn't do his usual more risk taking moves, which makes me wonder if he's not a hundred percent. Amusing spot was where the managers were throw out one by one by blatantly interfering. Cheeseburger is the difference as he flaming palm strikes Bob for breaking his non palm strike hand the night before and Compton gets the pin.

This was a match dragged down by the two guys who are not very good, but was used to further a feud I thought died on TV a while back, Cheeseburger vs. Evans. Which is apparently going to be the RD Evans vs. Nana or Evans vs. Moose match at FB this year. Since, you know, RD is no longer with the company to have the match.

The Briscoes vs. War Machine

Damn, these guys beat the heck out of one another. Started slow then built up to the end. Lots of false finishes that could have been the match for either team up to the end. Definitely worked live.

And at the nearly 3 hour mark of the show we have:

Champs (Jay Lethal & Roderick Strong & Matt Taven & Michael Bennett) vs. All Stars (Christopher Daniels & Frankie Kazarian & Dalton Castle & Moose)

So every one of the announced All Stars team is no longer on the team, with 2 injuries and Roddy winning the TV title and switched over on the Champs team. Now it was obvious it was supposed to be the Addiction in there the whole time since Roddy was going to win the title, but now they have to improvise and, looking over the card, this was probably the best option. Castle is super over, as in nearly Briscoe/Cole level over. The crowd loves him. Moose is a logical choice for where and how he is being pushed on the roster.

One caveat I must makes is I was near the Champs corner, which meant my view of the early going of the match was a bit restricted as I had Taven and Bennett on the apron in front of me, and on the floor I had a cameraman, Cole and Maria as well. Which would have been bad save Maria's bottom was about 2 feet away from my face the majority of the time. Normally a woman, even admittedly as attractive as Maria, doesn't distract me from a match, but I am only human and, well, there were a lot of others partially restricting my view, so I was just making the best of an 'unfortunate' situation by not fighting the distraction.

Or, as the guy next to me informed his friend, "See? I told you these seats would be worth it."

This match was far better than it had any right to be considering the changes that had to be made. The early going had quick in and outs that flowed really well, with it all working out. The highlights live were Daniels and Roddy mixing it up in the ring as they still have that chemistry. They need to let the two have another lengthy match for the TV title at some point. Castle was able to hang with everyone, and while not skill-wise up to the likes of Cole or Roddy's level, he's very good. Moose was used strategically in the match and I noted he's starting to emote much better in the ring. He still needs to improve his move set, but he's starting to show that level of ring comfort where he is moving naturally and playing to the crowd.

There was virtually no friction between either teams members, save some between Roddy and Lethal, but it wasn't (very) detrimental to the team as both guys went with the 'I want to win the match even if I don't like you.' when interacting with one another. The first 4 eliminations were done correctly storylinewise building for a rematch between The Kingdom and The Addiction. Daniels looked a lot like the old Daniels to me in this, possibly because he was the most experienced/talented on his team and did the most work. Castle elevated his status by hanging with the big guys and holding his own, and even Moose was properly eliminated, primarily by Roddy, who simply wore him down with a series of high impact moves before pinning him clean. The right two guys were left in the end, since they largely worked together, though Lethal 'accidentily' suicide dived Roddy once and Roddy evaded a Moose spear and let Lethal take it instead. I wondered if that would break down the alliance, but it held.

The only complaints I would have was it was far shorter than past ones (which was not unexpected considering the changes) and I would have had all 4 guys in for another 10 minutes before the first elimination and then go from there.

Overall, well, you can't remove AJ Styles and ACH from the main event of a card and not expect a negative impact. It did. There were three matches that were bad to 'meh' which was not good. There was some storyline continuations and builds. But the final two matches raised the card for me and made it an enjoyable experience, especially the ME since I didn't know how it would turn out with the changes that had to me made
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

DBSommer wrote:
Thelone wrote:Well that was a show that happened. That ACH injury sure seems like a big fat lie to protect him since he wasn't going to win now that Styles was out.
Um, sure. They were totally terrified about not subbing in someone super over like Castle to accomplish what AJ would have done to the same effect. Especially when the way to 'protect' the champs would have been either Lethal or Roddy to cost one another the match since they have heat thanks to Roddy winning. Or you just have ACH as the last guy, then have Lethal and Roddy work him over until it takes several finishers from both of them to beat him. I'm sure it would hurt him terribly to have it take both champs beating the hell out of him two on one to eliminate him. :roll:
Well WE all know that, but it doesn't really seem like Delirious does.
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

This is the same ACH they jobbed to Caprice Coleman last month. They're not faking injuries to protect this guy.
Thelone

Post by Thelone »

That's Alexander you're thinking of ;)
http://thelone.be/ => My site, which means a bunch of random stuff really.
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

D'OH!
jordidebaas

Post by jordidebaas »