Remember when ROH had no count outs?

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
ROHFanAnthony
Donator
Donator

Remember when ROH had no count outs?

Post by ROHFanAnthony »

I was watching the Bryan Danielson dvd over the weekend and in more than one match I heard the announcer say that ROH has no count outs. When did that change?

I wish there was no count outs today. It's getting annoying when Sinclair is counting and the fans chanting "twinkies" after every count before the wrestler makes it right before 20.
187_Joeism

Re: Remember when ROH had no count outs?

Post by 187_Joeism »

With Adam Pearce as a booker maybe? I don´t remember well but i think it was in that year.
Marketh.

Post by Marketh. »

The countout rule was like the first thing Pearce changed. It'd be fine if it weren't for the table spot 18...19...2- oh wait he made it back in!!! happening in every big match.
Last Real Man Hype
D2Kvirus

Post by D2Kvirus »

187_Joeism wrote:With Adam Pearce as a booker maybe? I don´t remember well but i think it was in that year.
The French Connection was the first show it happened on.
WrestlingMatters

Post by WrestlingMatters »

Marketh. wrote:The countout rule was like the first thing Pearce changed. It'd be fine if it weren't for the table spot 18...19...2- oh wait he made it back in!!! happening in every big match.
Yeah exactly, countouts just seem to lead to contrived spots.
RoaringElbow

Post by RoaringElbow »

rules used to be you were DQ'd if you stayed too much time outside the ring. On a related note, Have they ever said if ROH titles can or can not change hands on a count-out or DQ?
WrestlingMatters

Post by WrestlingMatters »

RoaringElbow wrote:rules used to be you were DQ'd if you stayed too much time outside the ring. On a related note, Have they ever said if ROH titles can or can not change hands on a count-out or DQ?
I don't think they can.
RobOfAllTrades

Post by RobOfAllTrades »

they have. And i recall back in the day the pure title could change hands by count out (not sure about DQ though). I actually like there being a 20 count. Its long enough to use as if it were 10 it wouldnt work as well. But yeh most times the count out spots arent used that well. Although i do remember Aries/Richards had one of the better count out false finishes as it tied in with Aries character and the fact that Aries had won matches via count out it made the spot that much more believable. Oh and the fans helping Davey over the guard rail to beat the count was pretty great too.
D2Kvirus

Post by D2Kvirus »

Introducing count-outs seemed to be solely for the benefit of Nigel for a time, sort of like the initial Code of Honor seemed to be there solely for the benefit of The Prophecy.
McXal
Donator
Donator

Post by McXal »

I always liked the no count-out environment ROH used to have. Like others have said, it really cut down on the amount of contrived 'narrow escape' spots. Plus the retarded 'twinkies' (+ other markets trying to be equally 'funny' by starting their own version) thing drives me f*cking mental

I seem to remember at the time there were a lot of people happy about them bringing them back at the end of 2008 though.
TelkEvolon

Post by TelkEvolon »

No issue with the count outs, they only serve to add something to a match.

No count outs doesn't make all that much sense. Why not have no rope breaks also.
"Each generation wants new symbols, new people, new names. They want to divorce themselves from their predecessors."

- Jim Morrison