I think it's time for Delirious to step down as booker

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Thelone

Re: I think it's time for Delirious to step down as booker

Post by Thelone »

That's not totally off the mark though. "Second biggest event" is more accurate, but the world title changed hands three times in the last five years while Final Battle hasn't seen a world title switch in ten years.
http://thelone.be/ => My site, which means a bunch of random stuff really.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

supersonic wrote:Torch:
Sean Radican wrote:Radican’s Analysis: I don’t understand why ROH is billing ROH World Champion Jay Lethal vs. Jay Briscoe as the biggest rematch in the history of the company. The main issue here is that since losing the ROH World Title to Lethal, Jay Briscoe has had his push as a singles act pushed to the back burner. The Briscoes were embroiled in a feud with War Machine for the ROH World Tag Team Titles, which they lost. Coming out of the “Global Wars 2016” PPV, the
Briscoes as a team and as singles acts both felt like cold commodities.

It would have made more sense for Colt Cabana to get a rematch at “Best in the World” after Bullet Club interrupted his match and beat him and Lethal down at the end of “Global Wars 2016. Instead, ROH booker Delirious has created a narrative out of thin air and granted Jay Briscoe a shot at the ROH World Title against Lethal with the tag line that this is the biggest rematch in the history of ROH.

Let’s take a look at Jay’s record as a singles wrestler in 2016. Jay Briscoes has had 26 matches so far this year. 21 of those matches were tag matches. For the remaining matches he was in two Six--Way matches, one Three-Way match, and two singles matches. Jay Briscoes won a Six-Way match over Silas Young Caprice Colman, Adam Page, Frankie
Kazarian, and Will Ferrara and won a Three-Way match over Michael Elgin and Moose. He lost a Six-Way match to Jay Lethal that also featured Kyle O’Reilly, ACH, Roderick Strong, and Moose. In singles matches, Jay Briscoe has a record of 1-1. He has beaten Moose and most recently lost to Roderick Strong last weekend with an injury angle in play.

How can Delirious and Ring of Honor possibly expect fans to get excited about what is usually the biggest show of the year for ROH when the main event features a false narrative about a challenger that has been cold as ice in 2016 when it comes to the singles division in the company? With Cabana forced out of the title picture until after the PPV/TV taping weekend, fans are presented with the choice as to whether or not they want to pay nearly $50 with taxes included to watch the match.

Jay’s lone singles win in 2016 is over Moose. I won’t run down Moose’s record in singles matches in 2016, but more often than not, he loses in high-profile matches. Wins and losses traditionally have mattered in ROH, but here Delirious has booked the match the expectation that fans will throw all misgivings aside with the logic of Briscoe getting this opportunity because fans have been clamoring for his rematch against Lethal for nearly a year.

It’s highly doubtful that this PPV will generate a large number of buys for ROH. Briscoe simply isn’t someone at this stage that Delirious can quickly build up given how much he’s been cooled off as a singles act. It would be one thing if The Briscoes as a tag team were a red hot act and Briscoe had been dabbling in the singles scene for the last year picking up wins, but that hasn’t happened.

Another aspect of this storyline that falls short is that there’s been no tease of a Briscoe vs. Lethal rematch in major ROH storylines since Lethal captured the ROH World Title from Briscoe at “Best in the World 2015.” If Delirious had kept planting seeds in his storylines to make fans want to see this match for the last year, that would be one thing, but instead this match has been built up and presented out of thin year, which will likely cause fans to pass on the PPV since as of right now a strong second hook involving Bullet Club hasn’t been revealed.
I'm not disagreeing with any of this... but the fact that they don't seem to realize that the six way that Jay "lost" included a spot where Jay had Lethal pinned but there was no referee shows that they don't do their research because that's a big part of the story here.
Big Red Machine

Thelone wrote:That's not totally off the mark though. "Second biggest event" is more accurate, but the world title changed hands three times in the last five years while Final Battle hasn't seen a world title switch in ten years.
It's not title changes that make something a bigger or smaller show. It's the build. I'd argue that BITW was bigger than Final Battle in 2011, 2012, and arguably 2014.
ninetwentyfour

Post by ninetwentyfour »

I'm not saying Cedric is or isn't, or has or hasn't gotten anything people say, but what's worth noting is that no one on the ROH roster is getting elevated or being put in optimal positions to take it to the next level. NO ONE. Huge flaw. They barely have a main event scene. It's still Cole, Jay Briscoe, and Lethal. And the ones they are trying to elevate, say a Kyle O'Reilly, is literally deader than he ever has been in ROH.

Point being, booking is way more indicative of the issue here.

ROH needs a serious culture change.
JTCole

Post by JTCole »

BitW should be ROH's second biggest show of the year by timing proxy.
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

JTCole wrote:BitW should be ROH's second biggest show of the year by timing proxy.
Second biggest. Everything else he says is dead on.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

Burnside wrote:
JTCole wrote:BitW should be ROH's second biggest show of the year by timing proxy.
Second biggest. Everything else he says is dead on.
Yeah I would agree. Best In The World has become a very important show on the ROH calendar. 2nd biggest show of the year is fair, but given it's longevity & importance, Final Battle is still the clear #1.
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

I wonder if doing Lethal vs Briscoe II was their plan the whole time or things changed.

Delirious is always being good with long term things, Lethal vs Briscoe the first time, Cole vs Briscoe, Kyle having Lethal's number for example.

But this case was really sloppy booking from this part, i think waiting for Jay Briscoe to have his rematch was the right call but Delirious should have given him some single wins in the house shows to keep him relevant as a singles wrestler.

I don't want Cole as champ right now after Lethal but Cole vs Lethal would have been better here.
Memphis Mark

Post by Memphis Mark »

There is a reason that the PPV has more tickets available than the TV taping . The reason is that additional seating has been opened for the PPV . There are still sections that have not been opened for the TV taping. The advance has been much stronger for the PPV than the TV taping.
Big Red Machine

Memphis Mark wrote:There is a reason that the PPV has more tickets available than the TV taping . The reason is that additional seating has been opened for the PPV . There are still sections that have not been opened for the TV taping. The advance has been much stronger for the PPV than the TV taping.
Anyone have any idea how many tickets these charts translates to?
Memphis Mark

Post by Memphis Mark »

If you look at the seating chart for the PPV , you you find a lot of seats open seats in section 210 and 214 . These sections were not open earlier in the week. Advance ticket sales for the PPV is around 750 to 800 tickets. This does not include bleacher ticker sales. That is not a bad number. I would bet they will be 900 to 1000 people at the PPV . Just go to seating chart and count the tickets.

They are not selling tickets in these two sections for the TV tapings. So they open more sections due to high demand. Whoever made the tweets just checked the seating charts after the new sections open and made their negative comments. I don't think they took time to count the advance tickets. I would bet the TV taping ends up draws around 800. Not bad numbers.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

I'm surprised PPV has done even that well considering it's a Friday night and the card in general, I imagine they are also expecting walk up so that will fill up more of the GA that is left which are quite alot of highlighted areas.

Seriously these are the people that apparently have a clue about wrestling I feel sad every time I see shit like this as it's just petty attempts to create a much bigger issue for ROH, I'm sure Sean is coming up for all sorts of excuses for the CWC pulling in is many fans as a Nickelback tribute band.
Vanilla Gorilla

Post by Vanilla Gorilla »

The main issue I have is they don't use their TV time effectively in building up the PPV, specific to the main event. Those BS Bullet Club and Jay Lethal retrospective shows were colossal wastes of time that would have been better spent building everything to this PPV.
jordidebaas

Post by jordidebaas »

Big Red Machine wrote:
Memphis Mark wrote:There is a reason that the PPV has more tickets available than the TV taping . The reason is that additional seating has been opened for the PPV . There are still sections that have not been opened for the TV taping. The advance has been much stronger for the PPV than the TV taping.
For the PPV, the total amount of reserved seats made available is about 900, and I'd guess about 150 haven't been sold yet
For the TV taping, I think there's around 300 seats they didn't make available, but I'd guess under 50 that still haven't been sold yet
I was in the front line when we battled page 15
Big Red Machine

jordidebaas wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:
For the PPV, the total amount of reserved seats made available is about 900, and I'd guess about 150 haven't been sold yet
For the TV taping, I think there's around 300 seats they didn't make available, but I'd guess under 50 that still haven't been sold yet
I could be wrong, but isn't this a much bigger building than that?
jordidebaas

Post by jordidebaas »

Well, there's also the bleacher seats, but you can't see how many there are of those
I was in the front line when we battled page 15
fm20000

Post by fm20000 »

fire

hunter

johnston

as booker
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

not watch the ppv yet but for what i read the only bad thing was the cabinet segment...poeple have good reviews so far.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Looks like no one has been arsed to send TV taping spoilers from Charlotte to the Torch or Observer despite some big angles.