For those local to Chicago

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
iamloco724

For those local to Chicago

Post by iamloco724 »

I'm looking to possibly go to each city they do the big ROH/NJPW shows at this coming year, just looking for some info. I've never been to Chicago and I know Frontier Fieldhouse is not directly in Chicago so where would be the best place to stay, keep in mind I don't drive so transit or cab would be my mode of transportation. I know it's early just want to have atleast some of this info ready to go
bigz38

Re: For those local to Chicago

Post by bigz38 »

Here's a map with hotels surrounding the Fieldhouse with the blue dot (disregard the red and green markings, as I just picked a date at random). The marked airport is Midway, which is the closest but not the biggest. O'Hare is to the north. The quality and cost vary, so obviously that's at your discretion. I've never stayed at hotels in those areas.

There isn't any practical transit around there, so I'd register for Uber or Lyft.

supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Are you or anyone you know a AAA member? Plenty of resources there for lodging, trans, and dining.
WHG

Post by WHG »

I'm not local to Chicago, but had some business travel that lined up with the Show last March. I agree with the post above about public transportation not being practical for Chicago Ridge. I had a rental car and am not sure how much more challenging it would have been without it (although not having to find parking is actually a big advantage)...I concur with the Lyft/Uber suggestion as far as transportation goes.

My biggest piece of advice is to try to fly in to Midway airport as opposed to O'Hare as it's much closer to the venue. In fact, I stayed at the Holiday Inn - Midway Airport on Cicero Avenue. It's likely not the absolute cheapest place you can find, but it was under $150/night and was more than adequate. It's about 6.5 miles from the Frontier Fieldhouse, but keeps you close to the airport if you're going to fly-in & fly-out and not be doing much else.

Hope that helps. I didn't do a ton of research before my trip, but it worked out great and I'd likely do that again if I go back.
bigz38

Post by bigz38 »

Midway is closer, but it's actually not as big of a time saver as you would think. With ORD, it's pretty much a straight shot on the Tri State and three traffic lights total, while with Midway you're going through residential streets and constant traffic lights. I say just pick the airport with the best deal, wherever it may be. Although Southwest does go through Midway.
bigz38

Post by bigz38 »

Now that the full tour is up and running, I just want to note that AAW has a show on Friday May 6, and that both the Cubs and White Sox are in town. Plus there's always the chance of Bulls or Blackhawks playoffs (Blackhawks more likely). Plus there's everything with the city itself year round. So a good opportunity to make a weekend out of it.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

If you can, go see the Blackhawks. It's more than worth it, even for the nosebleed seats. Anyone I have ever sent to see a game has never been disappointed.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Actually, go see ALL of the pro sports teams if possible; the Bulls, Blackhawks, Cubs, and White Sox. Best sports city in America/Canada, hands down.

Although it's been a decade to my lone Frontier Fieldhouse event, I highly advise get food and bring it. The menu is very limited since it's just a gymnasium.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

supersonic wrote:Actually, go see ALL of the pro sports teams if possible; the Bulls, Blackhawks, Cubs, and White Sox. Best sports city in America/Canada, hands down.

Although it's been a decade to my lone Frontier Fieldhouse event, I highly advise get food and bring it. The menu is very limited since it's just a gymnasium.
You should been there in 1996, brother. Bulls/Sonics NBA Finals, the city was electric.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

I'm proud that my Sonics took them to 6 games. Just a fucking shame that the greatest team in our franchise's history* had to be in the same year as the greatest team EVER.

*I consider OKC to be its own history that started with the 2008-09 season.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

supersonic wrote:I'm proud that my Sonics took them to 6 games. Just a fucking shame that the greatest team in our franchise's history* had to be in the same year as the greatest team EVER.

*I consider OKC to be its own history that started with the 2008-09 season.
Yes. That Sonics team was great. Payton, Kemp, Schremp, and I have always liked George Karl. But you're right that Bulls team was incredible. I saw every single game in that 72-10 season.
Northwoods_Nightmare

Post by Northwoods_Nightmare »

I've stayed at the Hilton in Oak Lawn, it's nice and it's only a couple miles from Frontier Fieldhouse and only a couple miles from Midway.
bigz38

Post by bigz38 »

AAW has announced the return of Pentagon Jr and Fenix for the Friday show. There's a good possibility that they'll face each other. Tickets for that show go on sale later this week.

Freelance Wrestling, which has been getting a ton of buzz with their free streams, is also running late that night. So two quality options there.