ROH/NJPW DUAL ANNOUNCEMENT FOR AUGUST 21

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
TYFDK

Re: ROH/NJPW DUAL ANNOUNCEMENT FOR AUGUST 21

Post by TYFDK »

So February will see the two-day Japan tour, as well as the 14th Anniversary show in Las Vegas.

Hopefully we get some dates soon. And hopefully it's another Sam's Town show.
Reaper G

Post by Reaper G »

Tanahashi, Nakamura, Okada & Co. in Vegas. What's Japanese for "Hominahominahomina?"

And if SummerSlam is held at the new MGM arena, 2016 will be a huge year for me.
The Dragon Saga

Post by The Dragon Saga »

I'd like Nakamura, Okada, KUSHIDA, Ibushi, Naito and Ishii if possible. Not too interested in Tanahashi, don't think he translates too well to American audiences.
Marketh.

Post by Marketh. »

Anyone else get the impression that, apart from the Roddy match, Tanahashi perhaps doesn't give a shit about working ROH matches?

Part of why I think Nakamura's getting the better reactions is because he genuinely seems to love going over to the US and working gaijins, even if New Japan sees them at a minor level. Or at least he's incredibly charismatic enough that he can pretend to be enjoying himself.
Last Real Man Hype
Keith_from_MN

Post by Keith_from_MN »

Marketh. wrote:Anyone else get the impression that, apart from the Roddy match, Tanahashi perhaps doesn't give a shit about working ROH matches?

Part of why I think Nakamura's getting the better reactions is because he genuinely seems to love going over to the US and working gaijins, even if New Japan sees them at a minor level. Or at least he's incredibly charismatic enough that he can pretend to be enjoying himself.
Yeah, can't blame him in a way as he is getting older, but ROH seems to get the midcard multi-man tag version of Tanahashi as opposed to the main event version of Tanahashi.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

Interesting enough, Tanahashi did a podcast a day or two after the G1. I saw a few translations on Twitter, and he did bring up Michael Elgin. He apparently said that he didn't like the match he had with Elgin on the Global Wars: Night 1 iPPV (though he said he wasn't sure if that was on him or Elgin). He also mentioned that Elgin is much better in Japan than in the US.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

I'd love to see Makabe come over to face Elgin.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

some interesting notes

Briscoes and Jay Lethal will be in New Japan coming soon

There are rumors of a Lethal/Elgin ROH title match on the dome show

NJPW note: Talks of them doing one of their bigger PPV's in the US w/ ROH.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

Meltzer: "There's going to come a time that WWE is going to say to New Japan that you can't have this relationship with ROH."
Sandy Fork

Post by Sandy Fork »

monster mafia wrote:Meltzer: "There's going to come a time that WWE is going to say to New Japan that you can't have this relationship with ROH."
Meltzer is talking out of his ass. There is no relationship between NJPW and WWE. Their views on wrestling are too different and their egos are too big to work together
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

Sandy Fork wrote:
monster mafia wrote:Meltzer: "There's going to come a time that WWE is going to say to New Japan that you can't have this relationship with ROH."
Meltzer is talking out of his ass. There is no relationship between NJPW and WWE. Their views on wrestling are too different and their egos are too big to work together
There is a working agreement between WWE and NJPW to use Jushin Liger in NXT under a deal similar to the one Samoa Joe and Rhino have. This is the first time in years and years that WWE has used a wrestler who is under contract to another company. Liger is expected to have regular NXT dates moving forward.

NJPW CEO Naoki Sugabayashi, American liason Tiger Hattori, and booker Gedo all blew off the ROH MCU Park show on Friday and went to NXT instead.
Sandy Fork

Post by Sandy Fork »

Burnside wrote: There is a working agreement between WWE and NJPW to use Jushin Liger in NXT under a deal similar to the one Samoa Joe and Rhino have. This is the first time in years and years that WWE has used a wrestler who is under contract to another company. Liger is expected to have regular NXT dates moving forward.

NJPW CEO Naoki Sugabayashi, American liason Tiger Hattori, and booker Gedo all blew off the ROH MCU Park show on Friday and went to NXT instead.
Except there is no such deal regarding Liger. Liger has a veterans contract with New Japan. He's allowed to take ANY outside bookings that do not collide with his new japan dates.

And wrestling promoters/workers visit backstage all the time. Rollins was at Supercard of honor. Guys from the NXT roster show up backstage when ROH visits Florida. People are reading WAY too far into this. New Japan does not enter into working relations with companies were they are not the dominant partner, and they would not be that with WWE. They would not even be treated as equal.
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

Seriously? "Blew off"? Yeesh. I'm really sure the owner of NJPW "blew off" a show put on by one of their international partners just to be backstage at the NXT show.
WHG

Post by WHG »

Sandy Fork wrote:
Burnside wrote: There is a working agreement between WWE and NJPW to use Jushin Liger in NXT under a deal similar to the one Samoa Joe and Rhino have. This is the first time in years and years that WWE has used a wrestler who is under contract to another company. Liger is expected to have regular NXT dates moving forward.

Except there is no such deal regarding Liger. Liger has a veterans contract with New Japan. He's allowed to take ANY outside bookings that do not collide with his new japan dates.

And wrestling promoters/workers visit backstage all the time. Rollins was at Supercard of honor. Guys from the NXT roster show up backstage when ROH visits Florida. People are reading WAY too far into this. New Japan does not enter into working relations with companies were they are not the dominant partner, and they would not be that with WWE. They would not even be treated as equal.
At a minimum, Liger confirmed in an interview that he absolutely asked NJPW before agreeing to do the NXT date...so the office is involved to the degree that they're at least giving their blessing.

I DO think people are reading too much into it and that the egos and booking politics on both sides will not allow this to develop into much in the end. That doesn't mean Meltzer isn't right, though.

Just like Samoa Joe...who they were fine booking and having him appear anywhere else he wanted...until they weren't fine with it. If they do even just work with Liger on an ongoing basis, I'm sure the idea of him working the ROH shows next year will come up eventually as an issue.
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

TYFDK wrote:Seriously? "Blew off"? Yeesh. I'm really sure the owner of NJPW "blew off" a show put on by one of their international partners just to be backstage at the NXT show.
How would you characterize it?

Meltzer says it definitely ruffled feathers in ROH, so they were bothered by it even if you weren't.
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

Sandy Fork wrote:
Sure, Liger's allowed to take any booking he wants - as long as he has express permission from NJPW to do so. Because he is under contract to them. So in that sense he's allowed to take ANY booking. Except the ones NJPW doesn't want him to.

So, actually he can't take any booking he wants. He can take NXT bookings, because there is an agreement between WWE and NJPW that lets him do so.

So you're, you know, wrong.
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

Burnside wrote:
TYFDK wrote:Seriously? "Blew off"? Yeesh. I'm really sure the owner of NJPW "blew off" a show put on by one of their international partners just to be backstage at the NXT show.
How would you characterize it?

Meltzer says it definitely ruffled feathers in ROH, so they were bothered by it even if you weren't.
I certainly don't think they should've done that, but perhaps there was a meeting scheduled that ROH wasn't aware of.

Which would then characterized as "blowing off."

So I guess I'm wrong too.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Northwoods_Nightmare

Post by Northwoods_Nightmare »

During the announcement Kelly said it would be at the Frontier Fieldhouse. I thought maybe they'd look at a bigger/nicer venue, but I suppose it can probably hold the same number of seats as The Arena or Ted Reeve.
Kind of a bummer that it will be 8 whole months before the next Chicago show, but I'm already psyched for this. The announcement was honestly probably the biggest crowd pop of the night.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

Northwoods_Nightmare wrote:During the announcement Kelly said it would be at the Frontier Fieldhouse. I thought maybe they'd look at a bigger/nicer venue, but I suppose it can probably hold the same number of seats as The Arena or Ted Reeve.
Kind of a bummer that it will be 8 whole months before the next Chicago show, but I'm already psyched for this. The announcement was honestly probably the biggest crowd pop of the night.
They definitely seem to have been cutting back on trips to some formerly big ROH markets (particularly Chicago and Toronto) in the past few months in favor of newer markets (NY got cut a bit, too, but I think that is more a consequence of not having found a good venue).