Official All-Star Extravaganza VII (PPV) Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Wilson

Re: Official All-Star Extravaganza VII (PPV) Thread

Post by Wilson »

Pretty frustrating finish for the (PPV) main event, but there were some very impressive moments in the show.

Jay Lethal, Bobby Fish, and Kyle O'Reilly all looked like absolutely tremendous workers last night. I thought Lethal/Fish was a brilliant match and was probably the best Fish singles match I have seen. Lethal sold well in the main event and Kyle really changed his behavior to fit his position on the card. I want to see more of these guys in title matches.
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

ROH Wrestling @ringofhonor
Just signed for tonight in San Antonio @AdamColePro vs @AJStylesOrg - tickets available at the door
jordidebaas

Post by jordidebaas »

#moredirtyfinishes
I was in the front line when we battled page 15
Robareid

Post by Robareid »

Hey it's for the TV show, if they have a handful of screwy finishes there to build a PPV then I don't have a problem with it. The problem is when it's the other way around.
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

In this case i would prefer Cole winning by any dirty finish than AJ beat him again, he is AJ´s bitch at this point.
Thelone

Post by Thelone »

AJ isn't losing that one after they made him the top challenger for the world title yesterday (oh, and because he's a top New Japan guy also). Don't worry though, I'm sure Lethal or O'Reilly will be on commentary for the obvious DQ.
http://thelone.be/ => My site, which means a bunch of random stuff really.
Big Red Machine

Re: Re:

Post by Big Red Machine »

187_Joeism wrote:
Burnside wrote:
187_Joeism wrote:
All the Cole & Kingdom issue was fake and they planned this all along i guess.

:
They planned...what exactly?

This angle doesn't hold up to two minutes of thought, and that finish was straight out of TNA.
Kyle turned on Cole, now Cole turned on him. He pretended to join reDragon just to screw Kyle.
Yeah, but if the Kingdom doesn't like Kyle, why would they concoct a plan to screw him over down the line eventually at some point in a title match they didn't even know he was going to earn when it would have been a lot easier and achieved their goals a lot better to just beat Kyle up three-on-one at every show throughout the summer?
BrandenScott

Post by BrandenScott »

The one thing I didn't get is why would the kingdom and cole screw Kyle over before he won the belt? Wouldn't it be better I Kyle won the belt and then Cole attacks him after? Now you will have Cole feuding with Kyle building to final battle but with no title match. If I'm Adam Cole I would want him to have the title so that not only do I get to beat him but I get to take the one thing that means the most to him.

Also not sure why Delirious feels the need to overbook PPV main events. The only one I recall that wasn't an overbooked cluster was Lethal winning the title. It wouldn't make sense to the casual fan and the die hard fans don't seem to like it.
DBSommer

Post by DBSommer »

BrandenScott wrote:The one thing I didn't get is why would the kingdom and cole screw Kyle over before he won the belt? Wouldn't it be better I Kyle won the belt and then Cole attacks him after? Now you will have Cole feuding with Kyle building to final battle but with no title match. If I'm Adam Cole I would want him to have the title so that not only do I get to beat him but I get to take the one thing that means the most to him.
Cole and Kyle used to be partners until Kyle dumped Cole. Kyle then busted Cole open bad enough he went to the hospital and tried to take his TV title from him during their feud. Presumably this is something personal. If you're going to betray someone, you do it right before they are about to be victorious for maximum effect, not the moment after they've won. Let them climb a mountain of hope, but never let them taste even a moment of satisfaction in making it to the top. You cast them into the abyss when they're one step away from triumph, and make the fall that much farther.
Big Red Machine

Here is my review of the show. It was one of the worst this year.

ROH All-Star Extravaganza VII (9/18/2015)- San Antonio, TX

ROH TV TITLE MATCH: Jay Lethal(c) (w/Truth Martini) vs. Bobby Fish- 7/10
A great story with Fish working over Lethal’s knee, and beautiful execution on the finish.

IF SILAS WINS, HE GETS THE BOYS, IF CASTLE WINS, SILAS BECOMES ONE OF THE BOYS: Silas Young vs. Dalton Castle (w/the boys)- 6.25/10

WHO WILL BE THE BRISCOES OPPONENTS?- First Adam Page and BJ Whitmer came out, but they were clearly injured, so they went to join Kelly and Corino on commentary. Then the Romantic Touch came out and the Briscoes tossed him out of the ring. Then the All-Night Express came out from the back, and I mean both Rhett and Kenny, meaning that (at least in kayfabe), Rhett Titus never was the Romantic Touch. Huh. Anyway, we’ve got…

THE BRISCOES vs. THE ALL-NIGHT EXPRESS- 6.25/10
On his way to the ring, Rhett Titus kicked the Romantic Touch in the head. I’ll bet that was pretty cathartic.
The match was shorter than I was expecting, but I was pleasantly surprised that they made the right decision for the finish. After the match, Page snuck into the ring and kicked Jay Briscoe in the nuts, but Mark, Rhett, and Kenny all chased him off.
Whitmer was critical of Kenny King for leaving ROH and now trying to come back. It’s nice to see that some of the concepts the Decade was originally founded on are still running strong.

NO DISQUALIFICATION MATCH: Moose (w/Stokely Hathaway) vs. Cedric Alexander (w/Veda Scott)- 7/10
Great showing from Moose. Cedric was his usual great self. Good weapons match.

MATCH #3 IN THEIR BEST OF FIVE SERIES: Matt Sydal vs. ACH- 6.75/10
They did a good job telling the story of learning from each other (especially ACH learning from Sydal), both within this match and within the context of the series as a whole.

ROH WORLD TAG TEAM TITLE MATCH: The Addiction(c) vs. The Young Bucks vs. The Kingdom (w/Maria Kanellis)- 7.75/10
Lots of action, as you would expect. More interestingly, though, was the spot where someone came out in a KRD mask, but then superkicked Kaz and gave Daniels a Cradle Shock. The plot thickens.

#1 CONTENDERSHIP MATCH: AJ Styles vs. Adam Cole vs. Michael Elgin vs. Roderick Strong- 7.5/10
I was a little disappointed in this, considering all of the talent involved. They told the standard multi-man story of no one being able to get a pin (or really even get any sustained offense) because someone else would always show up to cut you off.

ROH WORLD TITLE MATCH: Jay Lethal(c) (w/Truth Martini) vs. Kyle O’Reilly- 7/10
There was a lot of great action here, but the finish was just overbooked to death. It turns out that the whole Adam Cole babyface turn was just a ruse to screw with Kyle, because who needs an interesting storyline when we could just keep sh*t the same as it has been for the past eighteen months?
WHY? If they didn’t like Kyle, wouldn’t it have been easier to just attack him as a unit of three a bunch of times over the course of the summer?

A good show from ROH, but when you are only doing four PPVs and year and are priding yourself on excellent in-ring action, a good show is not good enough. Once again it feel like they tried to cram too much stuff onto the PPV. To be fair, there wasn’t much to cut aside from the ACH vs. Sydal match, and that would mean not having ACH wrestle on PPV in his home state. Maybe they could have somehow found a way to squeeze the Briscoes into the tag title match and saved the ANX for the next night’s tapings (or the next iPPV if you want to ensure that spoilers won’t get out). No matter whether it was avoidable or not, though, it really felt like most of the matches didn’t get enough time (and looking back, the only match that got over 14:30 was ACH vs. Sydal). When you consider the high caliber of shows ROH has been putting on this year, this show was disappointing from an in-ring perspective (it almost certainly ranks in the bottom five so far), and the Kingdom reuniting was a huge creative disappointment as well. I really hope Final Battle delivers.
bik100

Post by bik100 »

Who was supposed to be in the KRD mask?
Big Red Machine

bik100 wrote:Who was supposed to be in the KRD mask?
Cole, I assume.
Northwoods_Nightmare

Post by Northwoods_Nightmare »

BrandenScott wrote:The one thing I didn't get is why would the kingdom and cole screw Kyle over before he won the belt? Wouldn't it be better I Kyle won the belt and then Cole attacks him after? Now you will have Cole feuding with Kyle building to final battle but with no title match. If I'm Adam Cole I would want him to have the title so that not only do I get to beat him but I get to take the one thing that means the most to him.
But now they have the possibility of another lackluster triple threat at Final Battle. :?
Though honestly, I don't mind having more than one contender/title feud going on at a time. It makes things more interesting.
You can also argue that Cole is already a main event star and former World Champ, so he's pretty much sure to get another World Title shot down the line. O'Reilly doesn't have that success in singles and it will theoretically be harder for him to get a rematch. So, Cole deprives Kyle of his ultimate goal and if he gets a shot at Lethal before O'Reilly does he could lock Kyle out from getting a title opportunity anytime in the foreseeable future.
bik100

Post by bik100 »

Big Red Machine wrote:
bik100 wrote:Who was supposed to be in the KRD mask?
Cole, I assume.
Well that's lame.
jordidebaas

Post by jordidebaas »

He's not screwing Kyle to get a shot at the champ. He's screwing him since he hates him. He doesn't want him to be the champ, because he hates him.
I was in the front line when we battled page 15
andherides87

Post by andherides87 »

Jay Lethal vs. Bobby Fish: **3/4
Dalton Castle vs. Silas Young: *
The Briscoes vs. ANX: *
Moose vs. Cedric Alexander: *3/4
ACH vs. Matt Sydal: *3/4
The Addiction vs. The Kingdom vs. The Young Bucks: **1/4
AJ Styles vs. Adam Cole vs. Michael Elgin vs. Roderick Strong: **3/4
Jay Lethal vs. Kyle O'Reilly: *1/4

Really didn't like this show. Worst ROH show of 2015 so far (that I've watched).
Marketh.

Post by Marketh. »

ROH booking meeting: "Hey guys, I know Mike and Matt are really cool guys and our friends, but they're still irrelevant and not getting over. I think we should try giving them a big push again. Maybe we should cancel the Cole turn, I still think if we wait long enough his heat might rub off on them. Just give them a chance, it's only been a few years."
Last Real Man Hype
Big Red Machine

jordidebaas wrote:
He's not screwing Kyle to get a shot at the champ. He's screwing him since he hates him. He doesn't want him to be the champ, because he hates him.
So if he hates Kyle so much, why not come out with the rest of his gang and just beat Kyle up? What is the point of pretending to be his friend for months?
Big Red Machine

I don't mind Taven and Bennett, and with Maria in their corner, I actually find them to be a fun act (Maria and Bennett in particular are a perfect example a unit that is so much better together than the sum of their parts alone). The tag division is a perfect place for them. I was actually quite excited for this Cole babyface turn simply because it seemed to be a way to shake things up that would utilize everyone better (the people are cheering Cole anyway, so why not turn him babyface for a while and let Lethal be the top heel while try to develop a guy like Cedric or Silas or Page as a heel higher up on the card?)

But to set up this Cole babyface turn in such a great way (he keeps losing matches, therefore the other members of the team are angry at him because in ROH, winning and losing actually matters) only to do such a TNA swerve and reveal it to have been a ruse the whole time, re-establishing a status-quo that people are tired of was a huge blow to my confidence in the lizard man.
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

I don´t think the turn was TNAesque because in this case it makes sense, Cole never fight any Kingdom member during it or something.