Official Reload Tour 2015 Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Burnside

Re: Official Reload Tour 2015 Thread

Post by Burnside »

In the Defy or Deny match, why, logically, would the other three guys not immediately gang up on Lethal and eliminate him first? They'd guarantee that one of them would get a title shot and none of them would be locked out.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

DXvsNWO1994 wrote:The only issue I have with the ACH/Sydal Five Match Series is that there's nothing really on the line. They could at least award the winner a shot at Jay Lethal for either the World Title or the World TV Title.
Loser forced to sign with TNA.
Marketh.

Post by Marketh. »

Burnside wrote:In the Defy or Deny match, why, logically, would the other three guys not immediately gang up on Lethal and eliminate him first? They'd guarantee that one of them would get a title shot and none of them would be locked out.
The problem with Defy or Deny is that yet again they haven't fully explained the stip when announcing the match. This is especially a problem when, if I recall, it's changed slightly over the years.

In this case, it isn't clear whether it's everyone Lethal eliminates that's Denied, or just the last man. Also, if Lethal is eliminated before the end of the match, does that person get a title shot or is it only if they win the whole match?
Last Real Man Hype
Northwoods_Nightmare

Post by Northwoods_Nightmare »

Young Bucks vs Future Shock sounds awesome, but Fish vs Strong sounds equally as good!
I always like the Defy or Deny match idea, but I agree the stip has always been confusingly vague.
jordidebaas

Post by jordidebaas »

Marketh. wrote:
Burnside wrote:In the Defy or Deny match, why, logically, would the other three guys not immediately gang up on Lethal and eliminate him first? They'd guarantee that one of them would get a title shot and none of them would be locked out.
The problem with Defy or Deny is that yet again they haven't fully explained the stip when announcing the match. This is especially a problem when, if I recall, it's changed slightly over the years.

In this case, it isn't clear whether it's everyone Lethal eliminates that's Denied, or just the last man. Also, if Lethal is eliminated before the end of the match, does that person get a title shot or is it only if they win the whole match?
The person that wins the entire match gets a title shot, unless Lethal wins, in which case the last person eliminated is banned from getting a shot.

The biggest problem I have with the match, is that kayfabe-wise, it doesn't really make sense, as the runner-up could pin two people before he is eliminated by the champ, and be banned from getting a title shot, whereas the two men that he eliminated can still get one, despite having done way worse result-wise.
Also, the teaming up on the champ strategy would seem like a pretty smart thing to do in most cases.
I was in the front line when we battled page 15
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

supersonic wrote:
DXvsNWO1994 wrote:The only issue I have with the ACH/Sydal Five Match Series is that there's nothing really on the line. They could at least award the winner a shot at Jay Lethal for either the World Title or the World TV Title.
Loser forced to sign with TNA.
You go too far, sir. No one deserves to have their career ended prematurely like that.
Big Red Machine

jordidebaas wrote:
Marketh. wrote:

The person that wins the entire match gets a title shot, unless Lethal wins, in which case the last person eliminated is banned from getting a shot.

The biggest problem I have with the match, is that kayfabe-wise, it doesn't really make sense, as the runner-up could pin two people before he is eliminated by the champ, and be banned from getting a title shot, whereas the two men that he eliminated can still get one, despite having done way worse result-wise.
Also, the teaming up on the champ strategy would seem like a pretty smart thing to do in most cases.
If I recall the original one correctly, the stip was that only the winner got the title match, but if the champ won, all three guys were locked out of title shots. I don't quite think the last two were announced that way, but I believe those same stips were still lived up to.
They also used to do it with three guys the champ had recently beaten, with the idea that these guys were being offered a shortcut to a title shot rather than having to climb the ladder again, but with "Deny" part being a big risk they were taking. Here they have Mark (who, in fairness, has lost to Lethal a bunch) and two guys who never feuded with him at all (I believe they each got one title shot randomly that they didn't really earn in the first place). It's just lazy booking to try to come up with main events that feel important even though they won't be. ACH and Sydal would actually be two perfect guys to fit into this match based on their history with Lethal but of course we can't have that because they need to do this totally random best of five gimmick with each other on BOTH shows that weekend.
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

The rules should be that any of the three challengers who wins the entire match gets a title shot, and any/all of the three challengers who lose (to anybody) are banned from a future shot. It should have nothing to do with who Lethal pins or who pins Lethal - that's the part that makes the stips nonsensical.

The way the stips are currently explained, the other three guys are idiots if they don't all immediately gang up on and eliminate Lethal, because the only way you face any negative consequences in this match is if Lethal beats you, and perhaps only if he beats you last. So if the other three guys get rid of him first they having nothing to lose.

It's like they're pretty much telling you that this 4-way elimination match will come down to Lethal vs somebody, when in kayfabe terms there should be no way to know that - Lethal could be the first guy out.

Incidentally, this match probably means that Lethal's dropping the TV title soon. Delirious usually books a Defy or Deny match 1-2 months before the champion drops the belt.
DBSommer

Post by DBSommer »

Probably the most workable solution would be:

Whoever pins the champ gets the shot.

Whoever gets pinned by the champ never gets a shot.

The first ensures that all 3 guys don't just beat the hell out of the champ until he's eliminated (which as others point out it would mean there's a 0% chance of being 'denied' ), since only the guy eliminating him gets the shot. Also it lends itself to the idea that if someone wants the shot, he needs to take out the other two to keep them from getting the pin/preventing him from getting the pin. Which means most of the time the champ will be one of the last two standing, but it's not a guarentee. Like any scramble match, someone can sneak a pin in if the others are distracted/injured.

Considering the roster isn't that deep, I'd be reluctant to have any stip that guarentees 2-3 people will never get a title shot. Not to say it can't happen (and as someone mentioned, D or D usually happen near the end of a reign anyway), just that it isn't a guarenteed outcome. I'm pretty sure last year Cole got pins on the last two guys to lock them out (Jacobs and Lethal maybe).

Come to think of it, hasn't there been 3 with the champ winning each time anyway?
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

The champ has won every Defy or Deny to date. It was clear during the last one that Kevin Kelly didn't really know what the stips were when he was calling the match. Very TNA-esque.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

Because reasons...
@ringofhonor
Making a special appearance this Sat in Atlanta for @ringofhonor @DDPYoga guru @bWoStevie Richards. Get your tix now
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

52 min
stevierichards : Excited to be invited by @ringofhonor their show this Saturday for an autograph session. Maybe @mattsydal can give me workout tips too
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

He was backstage at the last one. Harmless appearance, like Bushwhacker Luke from this past weekend.
Marketh.

Post by Marketh. »

So I guess they're just booking guys who look vaguely like Cliff Compton too now, huh?
Last Real Man Hype
AssShooter

Post by AssShooter »

I wonder if he is the former WWE superstar Kevin Kelly was talking about in his view from ringside...
ImageImage
DBSommer

Post by DBSommer »

Maybe they'll pick up that angle Gabe was going to use him for back in the day that never materialzed.

Besides, it's not like he's actually being booked like in Chikara.
Big Red Machine

DBSommer wrote:Maybe they'll pick up that angle Gabe was going to use him for back in the day that never materialzed.
Wouldn't that require CM Punk?
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

Hoping for series of backstage vignettes where he does his Dr. Stevie gimmick from TNA and analyzes various ROH guys including the Briscoes, Castle, and of course Bloodbound Warriors.
Big Red Machine

Burnside wrote:Hoping for series of backstage vignettes where he does his Dr. Stevie gimmick from TNA and analyzes various ROH guys including the Briscoes, Castle, and of course Bloodbound Warriors.
This would actually be pretty fantastic.
JTCole

Post by JTCole »

I'll be at the Atlanta show tonight, hope it's good. Last February was pretty fantastic overall.