RIP Roddy Piper

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
supersonic

RIP Roddy Piper

Post by supersonic »

TMZ.com has just reported that Roddy Piper has passed away at the age of 61.

Piper was one of the key figures in the growth of WWF, in particular the success of the first WrestleMania, which was the most important show in company history beacuse it was such a make-or-break event.

He was considered one of the greatest promos in pro wrestling history.

The report was that he passed away in Hollywood, CA.
Sandy Fork

Re: RIP Roddy Piper

Post by Sandy Fork »

I got into wrestling fairly late in life compared to most fans (at age 21) but the moment I saw Piper I knew I had to go back through the old archives and watch his stuff from his hayday. I do not regret it one bit. Absolute legend.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

Now who will stand for the silent?
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

http://www.rohwrestling.com/news/rest-p ... oddy-piper
We at Ring of Honor are extremely shocked and saddened at the sudden passing of the legendary “Rowdy” Roddy Piper.

A true icon in professional wrestling, “Rowdy” Roddy Piper was a silent adviser to many, passing on his invaluable wisdom. An amazing man who will be missed by those who were lucky enough to work with or get to know him.

We extend our sincerest condolences to the family, friends and colleagues of “Rowdy” Roddy Piper.
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

My first favorite wrestler and largely responsible for my fandom as a kid. But I kinda feel like the Roddy Piper I loved hasn't been seen for about 20 years. When I saw that really crazy ESPN interview he did, it did cross my mind he might be next.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

For you younger guys out there, watch Piper as a heel in his prime. The guy knew how to draw nuclear heat. Sad day for the wrestling world.
Leo C

Post by Leo C »

Very sad to hear.
AndyDiaz

Post by AndyDiaz »

Piper hitting Snuka with the coconut was one of the very first things I remember my dad telling me about wrestling. Rest in Power.
BPetit80

Post by BPetit80 »

When I think of Piper I think about the coconut incident and the Pipers Pits before WM3 :( had the chance to meet Piper had the tickets and never made it to the show...
Memphis Mark

Post by Memphis Mark »

Tragic loss . Roddy Piper was still a young man. It been a tough year losing Roddy Piper , Dusty Rhodes , Tommy Rogers and Buddy Landal .

As for Piper's body of work , his years in Portland produced some of the best wrestling ever. Piper came to Portland from Roy Shire 's Northern California promotion . Piper started as a heel , then he turned baby face after a falling out with Buddy Rose. The Roddy Piper vs. Buddy Rose feud was a classic feud. Rose had a army that consisted of the Luke Williams , Butch Miller , Rip Rogers and Ed Wiskowski a.k.a. Col. DeBeers that were also in the feud at various times. The people in Portland loved Roddy Piper and he loved them back . I believe Roddy and his family lived in Oregon for many years. If you have not seen any Portland footage , you might want to check it out. It is arguably Piper's best work..
BPetit80

Post by BPetit80 »

Seen a lot outside WWF I used to tape trade it was hard to get good watchable footage of Portland and Georgia but from what I did see it was really good. Some of his best promos were cut in Georgia and Mid Atlantic.
BPetit80

Post by BPetit80 »

But I can't speak on Portland saw so little of Portland
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Hoping the Smackdown taping in POR has a tribute to him. Wouldn't mind it the night before in Everett too.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Roddy Piper's funeral will be on 8/12 in Portland. It's been delayed because WWE has next week's Smackdown tapings on 8/11 in Portland so the talent can staythe next day for the funeral.
Mike0284

Post by Mike0284 »

DBSommer

Post by DBSommer »

Mike0284 wrote:
Forgot Piper was around for a signing. Didn't realize he was interacting with the guys. Pretty much an anti-Flair.
Marketh.

Post by Marketh. »

I wonder what the Flair tribute would be like then.

"RIP...but only because we got our money back eventually."
Last Real Man Hype
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Marketh. wrote:I wonder what the Flair tribute would be like then.

"RIP...but only because we got our money back eventually."
"Thank you for being one of the biggest inspirations to ROH's roster and identity."

I'd hope ROH doesn't treat him the same as the ECW alumni did Mike Awesome in February 2007.
WHG

Post by WHG »

I remember hearing after that Nashville taping from ROH talent and staff on podcasts & social media that Piper was great. He not only gave them feedback and tips on promos, but I recall people saying that he could have packed up and left when the 4+ hour taping started. He was only booked to sign autographs before the show, so once the show started his gig was over...but he stayed and watched the entire show and spoke to the lockerroom after the show and complimented the talent on specific things he'd seen.

It's one thing when you hear that stuff after he died...but I distinctly recall how overly positive everyone was about the experience. Jimmy Jacobs also tweeted in January of this year that working with Piper one year ago made him change his approach to promos, so his brief appearance really made an impression.
ROHFanAnthony
Donator
Donator

Post by ROHFanAnthony »

Roddy Piper is my all time favorite wrestler. So to say that this wrestling death has hit me the hardest would be an understatement.

RIP Roddy Piper :(