Roderick Strong re-signs with ROH

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Mike0284

Roderick Strong re-signs with ROH

Post by Mike0284 »

(BALTIMORE, MD) – Ring of Honor announced Tuesday that Roderick Strong, aka Mr. ROH, has re-signed with the company. The “Triple Crown Champion” was most recently featured as a challenger for the Ring of Honor World Championship against Jay Lethal at Death Before Dishonor XIII in Baltimore. The spectacular match ended in a draw as the wrestlers battled through the 60-minutes of regulation time allotted for World Championship matches.

“I’ve set the bar really high for myself and anyone who comes after me,” Strong said. “I’ve got unfinished business in Ring of Honor and winning that ROH World Championship for a second time is of the utmost importance!”

Strong will once again find himself battling with champions as he takes on IWGP Champion “Rainmaker” Kazuchika Okada at Field of Honor in Brooklyn, NY on August 22nd.

September 30, 2015 will begin Strong’s 13th year with Ring of Honor, as he continues to exemplify Ring of Honor’s pride for having the best wrestling on the planet. More information about Roderick Strong, including upcoming appearances and featured products, can be found on http://www.rohwrestling.com.
The Dragon Saga

Re: Roderick Strong re-signs with ROH

Post by The Dragon Saga »

For what it's worth, PWTorch are reporting this is an exclusive contract, so Roddy will be finishing up with WWNLive and PWG entirely depends on what ROH wants to do...
Roderick Strong has re-signed with Ring of Honor, the company announced Tuesday.

PWTorch has learned that Strong's deal is an exclusive deal with ROH, similar to deals with current ROH World & TV champion Jay Lethal and The Briscoes.

Strong has the ability to work out individual bookings with the ROH office, such as PWG, where he is currently PWG champion, but he is unlikely to work for a promotion like WWNLive (EVOLVE/DGUSA) while under contract to ROH.

Earlier this year, Strong wrestled for ROH and WWNLive on the same weekend, but that is off the table.

In Tuesday's announcement, ROH touted Strong as exemplifying Ring of Honor’s pride for having the best wrestling on the planet."

Strong wrestled Jay Lethal to a 60-minute draw on last weekend's "Death Before Dishonor" Internet PPV. Their re-match is August 21 in Philadelphia.

Strong then faces IWGP World Hvt. champion Kazuchika Okada on August 22 in Brooklyn, N.Y. in a ROH vs. New Japan star clash.

Strong, who is having one of the best runs of his career entering his 13th year wrestling for ROH, said in the press release: "I’ve set the bar really high for myself and anyone who comes after me. I’ve got unfinished business in Ring of Honor and winning that ROH World Championship for a second time is of the utmost importance!”
http://www.pwtorch.com/artman2/publish/ ... be7BflViko
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Look forward to him jobbing his first weekend on contract.
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

Gabe Sapolsky ‏@BookItGabe
Thanks @roderickstrong for last run. Pleasure to have as a booker. Enjoyed your work as a fan. Last match was best vs Sabre at EVOLVE 45
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

Roderick Strong ‏@roderickstrong 12 minHace 12 minutos
Oh @OfficialPWG nerds... I'm not going anywhere for a long time. #MountRushmore2.0 #ChampStrong #PWGWorldChampion
The Dragon Saga

As I saw someone on Reddit say, if he was going to leave he wouldnt say it because it would obviously give away that he'd lose at BOLA whereas now it makes things unpredictable, will he lose and bow out or will he win and continue? BOLA just became a lot more interesting.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

The Dragon Saga wrote:As I saw someone on Reddit say, if he was going to leave he wouldnt say it because it would obviously give away that he'd lose at BOLA whereas now it makes things unpredictable, will he lose and bow out or will he win and continue? BOLA just became a lot more interesting.
Tommy End/Marty Scurll/Zack Sabre, Jr. face The Young Bucks & Roderick Strong in a non-tournament match on N1 of BOLA!
The Dragon Saga

monster mafia wrote:
The Dragon Saga wrote:As I saw someone on Reddit say, if he was going to leave he wouldnt say it because it would obviously give away that he'd lose at BOLA whereas now it makes things unpredictable, will he lose and bow out or will he win and continue? BOLA just became a lot more interesting.
Tommy End/Marty Scurll/Zack Sabre, Jr. face The Young Bucks & Roderick Strong in a non-tournament match on N1 of BOLA!
I'm aware. But the winner of BOLA faces Strong. If Strong just says, "well hey guys, my final night is [whatever]", then everyone knows he'll lose and it takes away from the excitement. This way, if he's working people, PWG gets an added excitement because what happens to Roddy next nobody knows.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

Prowrestling.net has learned that the contract recently agreed upon between Ring of Honor and Roderick Strong does not contain the same exclusivity clause that many other ROH talent contracts include. This means that he will be able to continue working for outside companies including Pro Wrestling Guerilla, where Strong is the current PWG Champion. The contract does, however, prevent him from working with GFW and TNA as all ROH talent contracts do.

One source described it as the same type of deal that Moose has, which is less restrictive than the contracts that guys like Jay Lethal and Kyle O'Reilly have. Independent wrestling fans who have been following Strong's work should be quite happy with this revelation, as his performances in and out of ROH have earned him some level of buzz as one of the best in-ring talents in the world right now. Strong also recently parted ways with WWN/Evolve according to a tweet by Evolve booker Gabe Sapolsky, which I'm told was the plan whether or not Strong had reached this agreement with ROH.
Northwoods_Nightmare

Post by Northwoods_Nightmare »

Should make his world title rematch a lot more interesting
The Dragon Saga

I don't know who writes for ProWrestling.net but Bryan Alvarez apparently mentioned on Observer radio that it IS an exclusive contract but that Strong had worked out a way to work for PWG is all. I'm going to take Observer and PWTorch over ProWrestling.net here.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

Glad to hear. Interesting that Sinclair is allowing the PWG commitments. It must say a lot about Roddy in the locker room. Too bad Davey Richards never took any notes.
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

I don´t think Roddy will be with PWG past the BOLA shows, they are just letting him finish his dates there IMO.
Nigel LikesGuinness

Post by Nigel LikesGuinness »

Still very happy with this news! Roddy has been amazing
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

187_Joeism wrote:I don´t think Roddy will be with PWG past the BOLA shows, they are just letting him finish his dates there IMO.
I think they'll probably let Strong work regularly for PWG at least until he drops the PWG World Title (presumably to the winner of this year's BOLA), either at the usual October show or at the last show of the year in December.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Observer:
Roderick Strong signed a guaranteed non-exclusive one-year contract this past week. He was probably ROH’s biggest star not under contract and WWE did have interest in him, likely for NXT as opposed to the main roster. The new deal will allow him to work all of his indie dates and he can continue working PWG, where he is the champion. A lot of the top ROH wrestlers have contracts that don’t allow them to work PWG. With his signing, I don’t see anyone major at this time that would be leaving for NXT.
tigermask7.0

Post by tigermask7.0 »

strong needs to take some of that contract money and invest in acting lessons. he should be bringing up his mic & promo skills to match his in-ring ability. working with sinclair broadcasting for the next 12+ months is a golden opportunity for this.
It's not easy being the Greatest 7th generation wrestler Of All Time!
AndyDiaz

Post by AndyDiaz »

Great news for Roddy to be sticking around, but I definitely don't think he should be getting another World Title reign. Maybe he can have another TV title run, but I feel as if he's above that. Maybe throw him in a team with someone, preferably him and Sydal, they'd tear it up and have consisten great tags with anyone
LJimmy

Post by LJimmy »

This continues to show WWE is so bad at recruiting. They are going after people to fill spots in NXT who are from other top companies that have good spots and have no reason to go anywhere. Roderick being the latest example. Yet, there are good Indy workers who can also fill spots in NXT and they actually want to join WWE, yet WWE turns them down. They didn't hire any of the good names from the last tryout.
Northwoods_Nightmare

Post by Northwoods_Nightmare »

AndyDiaz wrote:Great news for Roddy to be sticking around, but I definitely don't think he should be getting another World Title reign. Maybe he can have another TV title run, but I feel as if he's above that. Maybe throw him in a team with someone, preferably him and Sydal, they'd tear it up and have consisten great tags with anyone
I would enjoy a tag title run for Strong with a good partner. I could definitely see them being the ones to take out The Addiction.
Or the often suggested short tag run with Aries, before going into a full on program against Aries.