Weekly ROH TV Thread (on Sinclair Networks)

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Mr. Mojo Risin

Re: ROH on SBG Discussion Thread

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

Women Of Honor Week

Firstly, Joe Koff was for the most part, completely inoffensive. This surprised me. Although, his comment​s on the Cody angle were fucking weak.

Kris Wolf vs. Sumie Sakai was good, Jenny Rose vs. Mandy Leon was bad.

Deonna Purrazzo vs. Kelly Klein vs. Karen Q was very good. If you are a fan of all 3 women, like I am, check it out. The match told a good story and was booked well to keep the angle going.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

Oh yeah. Good Kenny King promo this week. I like how they are handling him. I like how he did not attack KUSHIDA last week like I feared he would. He deserves a singles run. Delirious needs to make this work.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

Mr. Mojo Risin wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:02 am Oh yeah. Good Kenny King promo this week. I like how they are handling him. I like how he did not attack KUSHIDA last week like I feared he would. He deserves a singles run. Delirious needs to make this work.
Great to read that about Kenny. I've been waiting since he return for a big singles push. He's the perfect mid/uppercarder. He wrestles very good and he knows how to make a good promo.
King of Indy Style

Post by King of Indy Style »

I'll agree with that as well. I don't think he's World Champion material but I think he's great as an upper-midcard guy that can believably wrestle for the TV and even World Title.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

King of Indy Style wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:49 am I'll agree with that as well. I don't think he's World Champion material but I think he's great as an upper-midcard guy that can believably wrestle for the TV and even World Title.
For sure. I think he is more than capable of having a decent to good match with KUSHIDA. Now it's up to Delirious to connect the dots... something he has fucked up with getting guys over believably and consistently. Maybe he will get it right this time.
alexsmellzzz

Post by alexsmellzzz »

Interested to see that 2/3 falls match next week. Riccaboni has been hyping it up a lot the last couple weeks.

I wasn't a big fan of this Women of Honor episode. The Wolf/Sakai match and the Mandy Leon match were both pretty boring. I don't know, I feel like ROH's womens division could be a little better. The main event was fun to watch but that was about it.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

After watching the 2 out of 3 falls match between Daniels and Cody, it seemed they were off in spots. Okay match.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

This week's episode was great! Daniels and Cody's promos were great. The segment with Lethal returning was very good, the Street Fight at Edinburgh will be a good way to end the feud.

The main event was good, way better than the first one (which wasn't very difficult). Daniels and Cody worked well and this time the match had a structure. It was a WWE-Style match, but hey, that's what Cody can do and it he does it well, he could have very good matches. Daniels had a great performance as a heel. Cody was motivated too. They felt more relaxed, in the PPV, with the timming problems and the double turn, they weren't as confortable as they were in this match. The first fall was ok. Cody and Daniels showed their new personas, a little bit of wrestling and a good call-back with the ref. bump and the low-blow thing. The second fall was even better. Daniels dominated and started a limbwork on Cody's arm. I thought this was going to be a very good match (***1/2 - ***3/4), but the final part was bad .I mean, Daniels used the Last Rites (Riccabonni called it Crossrhodes), and Cody kicked at 2. Daniels hit the Angel's Wings, and Cody kicked at 2... why? Is Cody a superman? With a 2-1 this would have been a better match. The final exchange was good, but Cody winning with just one Crossrhodes didn't feel natural. I understand they wanted to make Cody look super-strong and as a dominat champion, but hey, after all Daniels' hard work and just getting beat 2-0, this felt wrong. Daniels looked weak, instad of Cody strong. They had a good plan, but the execution was bad. That being said, the match was good and very entertaining and better than their first match at BITW. I was happy to see a TV match looking that important and getting 20-25 minutes ----> ⭐⭐⭐1/4
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

Okay. This week starts off with an in-ring promo from Kazarian. My thoughts on this are echoed by what Thelone said about it in the Spoilers section of this forum. This is what...the 3rd turn by Kaz this year? Clearly Delirious is just winging it with The Addiction right now and I am sure it will ultimately wind up with the tag titles on them...again.

Punishment Martinez vs. Flip Gordon-Good match. Timing was off a few times, but nothing horrendous as Gordon was able to adjust. Gordon is slowly growing on me, but I really like Martinez a lot. Dude is just getting so much better in the ring. Post match brawl between Martinez and Jay White was good heat to keep this underrated feud going. One of the few things Delirious is doing right.

Oh fuck no. Dalton Castle and The Boys come out to challenge Colt Cabana and The Tempura Boys for the 6 man tag titles next week. It's the main event for next week. Lame. Really fucking lame.

Rhett Titus vs. Cheeseburger- Titus sucks and Cheeseburger is worse. Nothing match with Little Willie distracting Cheeseburger. Valuable air time wasted on this shit.

KUSHIDA vs. Kenny King- Here's the thing...I was really enjoying this match. They were putting on a good match...until Scrull and Page hit the ring. WHY? What was the point of King winning the #1 contender's match only to have it turn into a fucking mess? Last week Bullet Club are faces when Scrull stops Kaz from interfering in the Daniels/Cody match, but this week they are clear heels. This shit makes no sense. Delirious must have had nothing for Scrull and Page to do and decided that the most effective way to use them was to fuck up the momentum of King. While the tag match itself was good, it was also completely fucking unnecessary. Would it have hurt to have King and KUSHIDA go to a time limit draw? That way King, who ROH desperately needs to get over, keeps his momentum and gains credibility in the eyes of the fans. Instead, Delirious shits on this opportunity with a useless tag match.

Everything that is wrong with ROH was on full display this week. Terrible booking decisions and throwaway matches. Next week doesn't look much better.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

Haven't seen it, but I assume the idea with the Bullet Club running in and attacking both guys is to turn Kenny face. I definitely agree that a time-limit draw and a post-match attack would have been better in theory, but the problem with doing that on TV is that if you have air-time for the post-match attack, why did you stop the match? (Although I guess they could only air the match this week and then start next week's show by showing the attack happening after the show went off the air.)
King of Indy Style

Post by King of Indy Style »

The build to the Cody/Daniels title match was excellent. Daniels and Kaz's heel turn promo in particular was outstanding to me, because what they said was 100% true. I know people will groan at another Addiction heel run, and I am to, to an extent, but I thought the basis and logic behind the turn was brilliant and it was performed even more brilliantly.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

King of Indy Style wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:04 am The build to the Cody/Daniels title match was excellent. Daniels and Kaz's heel turn promo in particular was outstanding to me, because what they said was 100% true. I know people will groan at another Addiction heel run, and I am to, to an extent, but I thought the basis and logic behind the turn was brilliant and it was performed even more brilliantly.
It's kind of weird that the fans have turned The Addiction twice in the span of nine months.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

Big Red Machine wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:03 pm
King of Indy Style wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:04 am The build to the Cody/Daniels title match was excellent. Daniels and Kaz's heel turn promo in particular was outstanding to me, because what they said was 100% true. I know people will groan at another Addiction heel run, and I am to, to an extent, but I thought the basis and logic behind the turn was brilliant and it was performed even more brilliantly.
It's kind of weird that the fans have turned The Addiction twice in the span of nine months.
Yeah I like Daniels, but this is clearly a case of these 2 overstaying their welcome. It is weird that the fans have turned The Addiction twice, and wouldn't Kaz actually be 3 times with the fake swerve? Delirious is just throwing shit at a wall right now to see what sticks. I envision up next is another tag run for The Addiction.
alexsmellzzz

Post by alexsmellzzz »

Thoughts on this weeks show

Liked the opening video package and the build up for the main event.

Best Friends vs Coast to Coast
Always cool seeing Chucky T on my tv. Best Friends are way over. Looking forward to seeing them get big matches on ppvs and stuff like that. It should happen I think. This was really a Best Friends showcase. They get the Rainmaker zoom-out on a hug spot, which is still hilarious. Shaheem Ali got a cool looking swinging slam on Trent that I popped for. Coast to Coast sold well here and Best Friends get the win. **1/2

Jay Briscoe vs Matt Taven
Jay Briscoe is way over here, which makes sense since this is in Concord, NC, not too far from Jay's home state of Delaware. This gets really good after the first commercial. It's worked almost like a New Japan style match. Aw man, the finish is kinda lame. TK O'Ryan reveals that his ankle is fine and blasts Jay with it for the DQ. I was really liking this before the finish. The pace and presentation were just working really well. Then they all hit Jay with chairs. And we go to a commercial. ***

We come back to a cool Cody Rhodes promo where he has Todd pull names out of a hat, all of which Cody has successfully defended the belt against. I thought it was cool that the names he had Todd pull out were Jack Swagger and Ricochet.

Six Man Titles
Dalton Castle and the Boys (c) vs Colt Cabana and the Tempura Boyz
We find out that next week is MCMG vs Young Bucks for the tag belts which sounds sweet. This match is obviously going to be a lot of comedy considering all who are involved. Lots of taunting, dancing and assorted hijinx in this one. Oh wow, sweet spot where Dalton is in the corner, Colt comes running for a splash on him but Castle catches him, swings him around and hits a german. Things are breaking down and we get a Castle dive onto Cabana. Cabana back in, takes a german from Castle, but the Boyz break it up. Boyz hit a flapjack on one of the Boys. Castle clears house. Both his boys come leaping over him to try to save him but Colt fights them off. Uh oh, Colt eats a bangarang and that's 3. That got pretty good towards the end. **3/4

This was a good episode. A Best Friends appearance and a couple pretty good matches after that. Nothing absolutely must-see, but solid efforts here all around. Some of their tv does seem to suffer from a "why is this match happening" thing, and the main event is kind of like that, it's just a jokey match. But Briscoe/Taven wasn't so much like that and actually did get pretty heated.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

Pretty decent promo from Dalton Castle this week. Finally...the closing chapter for a feud that never really was.

BJ Whitmer in a suit? He looks...weird.

BEST FRIENDS vs. C2C- Seeing Best Friends in ROH brings a smile to my face. Caprice Coleman is joining on commentary. He is shockingly...subdued. Good match. C2C keeps showing up in matches with whoever they throw them in there with. I really hope the endgame for Delirious with C2C is to actually keep building them up. Not the usual Delirious booking of one guy gets frustrated after 1 or 2 losses and then turns on the other. The commentary team played up Best Friends, and I can only hope for a Best Friends/Young Bucks feud.

Jay Lethal and Silas Young brawled in the back. I like these two working together for some reason. This is a time where the talent is clearly outshining the booking of the feud.

MATT TAVEN vs. JAY BRISCOE - The stupidest fucking thing I have seen on ROH Television in sometime (and that's not saying much really during the past 3 years or so)... Vinnie Marseliga threatened to hit Jay Briscoe with an ax in the opening minutes. Then Jay decides to go after him with a steel chair. Really Jay? Vinnie's character is sooo fucking dumb. I hate it. Taven blindsides Jay who was dumb enough to try and fight a guy with an ax that he never intended on using for fear of getting hit with a murder indictment. I had to regroup after this. I like Taven and think he sells better than anybody on the roster. He's a great in the heel role as well. I will argue that with anybody and use the feud with War Machine as proof. That's when I started to turn my opinion of him. Anyway...the match itself was okay. Vinnie tries to hit Jay with the hockey mask. Why didn't he just use the ax? Turns out the whole thing was a big ruse for the surprise return of TK O'Ryan to ring action. The Kingdom absolutely destroys Jay. I liked this angle. Noticeably absent? The late save by Mark Briscoe accompanied by the "You're Too Late" chants the live reviews told us of. Damn.

DALTON CASTLE AND THE BOYS vs. COLT CABANA AND THE TEMPURA BOYZ- Ian Riccaboni refers to the 6 man tag title victory by Castle and the Boys as the biggest upset in ROH history. Xavier beating Low-Ki is what I was thinking...but whatever. Colt is clearly mailing it in out there at this point in his career. Too much dumb comedy spots in this match, which is what I expected. Castle's act has been wearing thin for me for awhile, but he still gives it his all in matches. Forgettable main event. Cabana finally respects Castle and the universe feels just right again now that this overblown non-feud is finally fucking over.

Other than the main event, decent show.
Jimthy

Post by Jimthy »

Frustratingly, my Sinclair station replayed last week's episode with King/KUSHIDA rather than this week's scheduled episode. Ugh. Oh well, I'll use the FITE app and catch up later in the week.
alexsmellzzz

Post by alexsmellzzz »

Another good episode this week, for the most part.

War Machine vs White and Gresham was pretty great. All those guys have such a knack for perfect timing and they can really make things look good in a match. And I just like that they're building up Jay White and Jonathan Gresham as members of the ROH roster. Both are extremely talented. Gresham getting to hit that 450 for a 2 count was awesome. ***

Josh Woods vs Shane Taylor. Not sure what to say. I'm not a huge fan of either of these guys. I've liked Shane Taylor at times in the past like when he's with Keith Lee. I just think... these guys are so new to the fans eyes... if either of these guys are going to be on tv, I think they need to be in there with somebody who's more over. This just didn't have any heat. It seems like ROH has a problem with putting prelim guys against prelim guys and then neither guy benefitting much. And then the guys that always go to New Japan just wrestle each other. Hmmm. I wonder, will Lio Rush end up being the last Top Prospect that had any actual success after?

There's a video package for Kenny King vs KUSHIDA. I'm excited for this one and I'll actually be at the ppv to see it live. They also showed a video package for Minoru Suzuki vs Cody which got me really excited for that one.

Young Bucks vs Motor City Machine Guns
They went for the "screw you for messing up the classic we were about to see" heat here as Daniels and Kazarian interfere just as it was heating up. Would've liked to see this go longer before they do it though and really let the match get into a higher gear. But I guess it was effective. We now know that inevitably we'll get some sort of 3 way between the 3 teams with Daniels and Kaz as heels. **1/2 for what we saw. It was too short, though.

Next week we get Hangman Page and Cody vs Bully and Mark Briscoe.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

Some things I took away from this week's show:

1) Every time I see Jay White I see a major Delirious fuck up. Two years from now when we think about White's run in ROH all we can reminisce about are the 2 Jay Briscoe matches and the Punishment Martinez feud. What a waste. The guy is going to be so much better than he was used here. If I was Gedo I would seriously reconsider sending Young Lions to ROH.

2) Fellow ROHWorld forum member QT Marshall could have put a cheap plug in for this website when he was on commentary. He did not. What a sell out and I am calling him out on it.

3) During the Shane Taylor/Josh Woods match, I was wondering what was more yellow, Taylor's teeth? Or the yellow in Josh Woods mouth guard? Aside from that, and I know that I am in the minority here, Taylor is growing on me. Moves a lot better with the weight loss and his in ring work is improving for it. I will never shit on guy who puts this much effort into improving his craft.
Is he Keith Lee? Fuck no. But at this point its useless to keep comparing him to Lee and see him for what he is and not Lee. I mean the poor guy has to carry Woods in a feud for fuck's sake.

4) I swear I have seen this angle with The Addiction before.
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

Thought the Coleman's Pulpit segment was cool.

Also thought the dude facing Ferrara was awesome and he should be brought back in for another look, even if it's just for Future of Honor.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

TYFDK wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:36 pm Thought the Coleman's Pulpit segment was cool.

Also thought the dude facing Ferrara was awesome and he should be brought back in for another look, even if it's just for Future of Honor.
I'm a total mark for Coleman with a microphone in his hand. Yeah, I can easily agree with that.