Weekly ROH TV Thread (on Sinclair Networks)

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
famicommander

Re: Weekly ROH TV Thread (on Sinclair Networks)

Post by famicommander »

Dan Maff is 46, which is old but not insane. George Foreman was just shy of his 46th birthday when he won the unified, lineal heavyweight championship in boxing.

Putting titles on wrestlers born in the 1950s is something else entirely.

NWA Powerrrrrrrrrrrr sucks shit but yeah, so does ROH TV right now. But at least the actual shows on Honor Club are still good.
Zhuge1

Post by Zhuge1 »

NWA put the tag belts on the same duo that recently challenged for the ROH tag belts. And, on a positive note, there at least seems to be fans at their TV tapings. Hopefully ROH can get back to that point soon -- there are second row seats still available for Final Battle and front row seats available at the Philly and Concord shows.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Uhh, the NWA studio seats fewer people than ROH has had for any event in their entire history. They only sell seats on one side of their studio and it's definitely fewer than 200 people total.

And I complained about the ROH/NWA crap as it was happening. The RNRE are a nostalgia act and they have no business in the title picture of any promotion in 2019. What they have been doing in AEW is a perfect use of them.
alexsmellzzz

Post by alexsmellzzz »

Watched this past weekend's episode and I really liked it actually. The Top 5 segment they had on there was pretty awesome, where they showed lots of old footage of ROH tag teams. And I liked that the episode had a theme (Tag Teams). Even though the first two matches were a little boring. I thought it was a pretty good episode overall. The Top 5 segment was the best part, but there was solid action throughout.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

Props to Ian Riccaboni's play by play for the last 30 seconds of the Gresham/Shelley match. He called every single move and there was an unrelenting flurry of them. It was the most impressive thing I have ever heard by an announcer ever.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

The TV show needs to be the next thing they fix.

There's too much good wrestling out there right now for me to want to skip around ROH's show every week to find the 12 minutes of stuff I haven't already seen.

MLW Fusion is still free on Youtube and Fite, Impact is on AXS, I still subscribe to NJPW World, Dyamite is on TNT, Dark is still on Youtube, I watch every Honor Club show.
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

The three-way tag main event was pretty good. Also Danhausen will be in the Honor Rumble at Free Enterprise.
NewROHFan2020

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

famicommander wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:09 am The TV show needs to be the next thing they fix.

There's too much good wrestling out there right now for me to want to skip around ROH's show every week to find the 12 minutes of stuff I haven't already seen.

MLW Fusion is still free on Youtube and Fite, Impact is on AXS, I still subscribe to NJPW World, Dyamite is on TNT, Dark is still on Youtube, I watch every Honor Club show.
Those are fair observations. What would you put on the show? I have barely started watching the show/promotion, so a lot of it is new to me. I don’t mind it, but I could see how a hardcore would find it pointless.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

NewROHFan2020 wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:55 pm
famicommander wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:09 am The TV show needs to be the next thing they fix.

Those are fair observations. What would you put on the show? I have barely started watching the show/promotion, so a lot of it is new to me. I don’t mind it, but I could see how a hardcore would find it pointless.
Whatever they do, just make the TV show 100% new content. Whether that means they go to two hours per week, whether it means they go live, or whether it means to going back to taping several one hour episodes at a time. Any of the above is a better solution than some Frankenstein mashup of stuff from the Honor Club shows, Youtube webwatches and interviews, and a few exclusive things.
alexsmellzzz

Post by alexsmellzzz »

The tv show is not even that bad. I don't think it should be a priority for ROH. The way they put together the shows right now, with the VOD matches and then special segments and stuff, it works for the time being. I'd MUCH rather the actual shows get better before the tv show does. If they can have consistent good shows in 2020, that would be a huge improvement over 2019. I just think, for what it is, the tv show works.
ROHReview

Post by ROHReview »

We (3-Time Pro Wrestling Author Oliver Newman & Pro Wrestling Journalist Steven Jackson) do a weekly podcast covering each ROH TV Show, hopefully it is ok to post our link into the discussion - https://soundcloud.com/bbgwpod/roh-revi ... th-content - ROH Review #15 - Loaded with content!

Oliver Newman & Steven Jackson review #15 of Ring Of Honor - ROH Star Spotlight - Dragon Lee, Flamita's injury, Future Of Honor, ROH Throwback - Samoa Joe vs Takeshi Morishima, Marty Scrull & Flip Gordon vs Jay Lethal & Jonathan Gresham, Women Of Honor & more!
ROHReview: Hosted by 3-Time Wrestling Author Oliver Newman & Wrestling Journalist Steven Jackson

Oliver's Books - https://www.amazon.com/Oliver-Newman/e/B01L24QI3U
Steven's Writing - http://thewrestlingestate.com/index.php ... n-jackson/
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

They have added new backstage drop for interviews along with all the matches being full length instead of highlights and added before and after interviews with the in those matches
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

In recent months several wrestling promotions have gotten new TV deals whether it be NXT on USA, AEW on TNT or Impact on AXS TV. That's led to many wondering if ROH will get a TV deal and perhaps move to weekly episodes which is where their peers are at.

Joe Koff, the COO of ROH, discussed those rumors when he joined The Wrestling Inc Daily.

"We are always looking at that and we have a plan on the table to look at a more weekly version. We don't have a start date yet but it is this year," revealed Koff.

"Those rumors are not necessarily rumors as they're closer to fact than not. But we'll have to see how [the ripple effect of COVID-19] transpires and if they affect us moving back that date. But it's definitely one of our goals."
https://www.wrestlinginc.com/news/2020/ ... ve-668075/
Montana

Post by Montana »

This is interesting, but i don't know how they pull it off with the local sports market channels they are on. Even if they record a live show for say Saturday night , i assume a Live sports game would trump them on the local sports markets. I don't know how they get around it, unless they have another major network. Believe Sinclair owns Fox Sports One, which would be the most logical fit... but i think it will be hard for them to really make it work live.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Montana wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:32 pm This is interesting, but i don't know how they pull it off with the local sports market channels they are on. Even if they record a live show for say Saturday night , i assume a Live sports game would trump them on the local sports markets. I don't know how they get around it, unless they have another major network. Believe Sinclair owns Fox Sports One, which would be the most logical fit... but i think it will be hard for them to really make it work live.
Fox still owns Fox Sports 1 (and FS2, the broadcast Fox channel, and all the Fox News family channels). One of the few things that they didn't sell to Disney or Sinclair.
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

Maybe stadium channel
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

If they just picked one day and timeslot to air their show across Stadium, Charge, Comet, TBD, Honor Club, and Fite TV that would be enough. Comet alone gets higher average viewership than Destination America, MTV2, AXS TV, El Rey, Fox Sports 2, ESPNU, BEIN Sports, etc.

Right now the show airs on Stadium and Charge, but not Comet or TBD. They were on Comet for a bit but made the switch when the other two launched. But between Stadium, Charge, Comet, and TBD they'd cover the majority of the US across broadcast and cable TV (for example, here in Denver Comcast carries TBD and Comet, but I have to switch to the antenna to get Stadium and Charge).

Let's say they pick Thursdays at 9:00. They should air it there on Stadium, Comet, TBD, Charge, Honor Club, and Fite every week live. Air it there on the regional sports networks when possible. And then pick another time (say, late Saturday nights/early Sunday mornings) as a regular timeslot on all the local ABC/NBC/CBS/CW/Fox/MyNetwork affiliates and as a fallback for when local sports bump it out of the Thursday slot on the regional sports networks.

That way everybody knows that ROH is on Thursdays with Saturday replays. Whether they watch on a local affiliate, a digital subchannel, a cable sports network, Fite TV, or Honor Club it should be the same two nights.
ertooso

Post by ertooso »

The popularity of this engine is explained by creating a good spillover effect. Everyone looks at the packaging, not the insides. It comes to the fact that entire portals are designed on it that are difficult to maintain and consume a lot of resources. Also, the free engine and many thousands of plug-ins just excite the beginner's mind. Moreover, the quality of the plugins is poor. I always did not understand people who do not know how to make money on WordPress. So many interesting things https://www.james-scholes.com can be found on the Internet.
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

This weeks episode announced more matches for Supercard that won't happen. A shame. The tv segments with Quinn between matches actually look like ROH is using current technology. It really stands out from the rest of the episode.
Zhuge1

Post by Zhuge1 »

kovs27 wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:44 pm This weeks episode announced more matches for Supercard that won't happen. A shame. The tv segments with Quinn between matches actually look like ROH is using current technology. It really stands out from the rest of the episode.
That segment also talked about the events from this past weekend that didn't occur (letting people know they can experience them on Honor Club live if they missed them live...). It wouldn't have been that hard to simply edit that segment out.