Weekly ROH TV Thread (on Sinclair Networks)

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Mr. Mojo Risin

Re: ROH on SBG Discussion Thread

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

BurningHammer wrote:. Having caught up on the three episodes I missed, the match quality overall was fine I would say the best match was certainly Fish vs Page despite a rather quiet/subdued crowd I thought the match had a very good story all the way through and both looked good. Page also looks to be really getting in shape which will help him no end.

. The ending moments involving O'Reilly, Cole and Lethal felt like a really good moment and for me created the idea of a strong main event scene.

. I enjoyed the segment involving the MCMG or at least the attempt, more like this should be done/used especially for those who may not get a lot of match time on TV constantly.

. I like turn of Cabana but it really should have come so much later. Castle and Cabana were really starting to build chemistry and connection with the crowd and making this turn even say at Final Battle or at the 16th Anniversary would have made this mean so much more. Despite that it was done well overall and I'm sure it will be a good match at Final Battle it also adds a new dimension to Cabana which will be interesting to see develop.[
I pretty much agree with everything you said. I don't like the Cabana turn in itself. I think a slow burn might have changed my opinion. Having said that, the actual turn itself was brutal and you definitely sympathized with Castle.

Yeah, the Kingdom's finishing move looks so fucking awkward. They need to change that up for sure.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

Alex Shelley is joining Kevin Kelly and Steve Corino on commentary tonight.

LIO RUSH vs. JONATHAN GRESHAM- 6.75/10
Two young guys getting ten minutes to go out there and show what they can do. Rush got the kayfabe victory, but this match allowed both men to raise their stock, and that’s what ROH needs to be doing to make new stars. After the match MCMG came out and praised both men not just for being great wrestlers but also for being honorable competitors.

COLE VS. O’REILLY VIDEO PACKAGE- good, but not great. Some of Kyle’s lines came off a little too soft or wacky (especially that “violent artist” line), and Cole using Undertaker’s “I’ll make you famous” line came off as very second-rate.
Also, did I just hear MIKE HOGEWOOD?!

IAN RICCABONI RUNS DOWN THE FINAL BATTLE CARD- the important news here is that they let everyone know that ACH is being replaced by Lio Rush, with the justification being that he was originally scheduled to be on that team in the first place. What we didn’t get was an explanation for why ACH won’t be able to compete. I think it would have been better to bring ACH back for this one show (or even the whole weekend) so he can take the fall in this match on his way out the door. The Kingdom will need the belts more than this makeshift team of young guys because their whole identity is as a three-man unit while Team Young Guys aren’t, and you can then run an angle where another combination of young guys (maybe Rush, White, and Gresham) chase the belts, as having some babyfaces chase these belts will give people more of a reason to care about them than just doing random matches like New Japan did with the NEVER Openweight Six-man Tag Team Titles.

THE ADDICTION vs. THE BRISCOES- 7.5/10
The Addiction don’t shake hands at the beginning of the match but do at the end after their loss.

ADAM COLE PROMO- awesome!

A great show from ROH. This is the ROH I want to see more of.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

So I'm watching ROH TV from this past weekend, and I noticed that they're advertising a "Delirious Insanity Sale: Part 2". Did anyone else notice this? No mention or announcement regarding a new sale has been made yet (I guess they could be waiting until today or tomorrow when the show airs on Comet TV).
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Mr. Mojo Risin wrote:
BurningHammer wrote:. Having caught up on the three episodes I missed, the match quality overall was fine I would say the best match was certainly Fish vs Page despite a rather quiet/subdued crowd I thought the match had a very good story all the way through and both looked good. Page also looks to be really getting in shape which will help him no end.

. The ending moments involving O'Reilly, Cole and Lethal felt like a really good moment and for me created the idea of a strong main event scene.

. I enjoyed the segment involving the MCMG or at least the attempt, more like this should be done/used especially for those who may not get a lot of match time on TV constantly.

. I like the turn of Cabana but it really should have come so much later. Castle and Cabana were really starting to build chemistry and connection with the crowd and making this turn even say at Final Battle or at the 16th Anniversary would have made this mean so much more. Despite that it was done well overall and I'm sure it will be a good match at Final Battle it also adds a new dimension to Cabana which will be interesting to see develop.[
I pretty much agree with everything you said. I don't like the Cabana turn in itself. I think a slow burn might have changed my opinion. Having said that, the actual turn itself was brutal and you definitely sympathized with Castle.

Yeah, the Kingdom's finishing move looks so fucking awkward. They need to change that up for sure.
I can certainly understand people not liking the turn it does feel rather forced and just a bit too much too soon, especially as we are getting a grudge match at Final Battle. I think this is exactly what I dislike about this ROH, turns and moments just happening to soon, we the audience are treated as not being able to have patience at times but yet at the same time Delirious will play a really long game in some feuds. It just makes no sense overall you could at least split the difference and have a medium style which I'm sure everyone would and could digest and be happy with. To me this is one of the match ups that really could have done with the long build. I mean the baby face pop Castle would get say if they gone six months of battling for the titles and even winning them and for then Cabana to turn would have been massive to me.

As a side note I do think Cabana may have been pushing for this turn as he has been talking about needing something fresh in his career for a bit and this might have just been the best timing for it to happen.
Big Red Machine

The problem I have with the Cabana turn is that the idea just isn't supported by the facts. If Colt turned because he doesn't think he can be successful with Dalton as his partner, then they should have lost every match they had after the tag title shot. Instead we have a situation where their record before the tag title match is the same as their record after the tag title match (2-1), so it makes no sense for them to break up, especially after they get this win where Dalton destroys a jobber with one move.
Spoiler: show
Also- this hasn't aired on TV I remember someone saying it (or perhaps just speculating) and the segment in the locker room two weeks ago where Colt made Dalton go out without the Boys seems to lead to it- but I thought the idea of the turn was supposed to be that Colt thinks Dalton isn't being serious enough and thus will drag him down, but that, too, isn't supported by any evidence. They've never lost a match because Dalton was too busy being silly or because of something the Boys did, and their only loss since the tag title match has been the one where the Boys weren't at ringside. Meanwhile, we've got Colt still doing slightly silly things like the big wind-up on the Dusty elbow. Yeah, you could say that it's just Colt lying because he is a heel and heels lie, but to me that is so much less interesting than a heel who you can believe actually does believe that what he is saying is true (compare that to the stupid bullsh*t The Addiction have spent the past year doing, claiming a "conspiracy" against them and claiming to have won matches that they clearly lost, making them come across as delusional jokes).
The more I think about it, the more this seems to go back to Delirious having a philosophy of wrestling that is just too simple, which is that heels must always lie and cheat and that the babyfaces (almost) always go over on house shows unless it is 100% storyline necessary that they don't. In this case, that has gotten in the way of the story it seems like they want to tell with Cabana and Castle because he puts them over at house shows where it would make more sense for them to lose, and in other cases has gotten in the way of doing things like helping to elevate a guy like Silas (there was no reason he couldn't have beaten Lethal in Lockport).
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

Just watched the last three weeks of shows (all from the Baltimore Tapings). The first episode was pretty solid. I really enjoyed Team CMLL vs. The Addiction & Kamaitachi, while Keith Lee & Shane Taylor vs. Colt Cabana & Dalton Castle and Bobby Fish vs. Adam Page for the ROH World TV Title were both fine. The episode with O'Reilly vs. Young vs. Team CMLL vs. The Kingdom was fine as well, but the worst of the three. The episode from this past weekend was great. I thought Lio Rush vs. Jonathan Gresham and The Addiction vs. The Briscoes were really good.
ndp

Post by ndp »

BurningHammer wrote:I like turn of Cabana but it really should have come so much later. Castle and Cabana were really starting to build chemistry and connection with the crowd and making this turn even say at Final Battle or at the 16th Anniversary would have made this mean so much more. Despite that it was done well overall and I'm sure it will be a good match at Final Battle it also adds a new dimension to Cabana which will be interesting to see develop.
To me it almost felt like they were sitting down to book the last set of TV tapings and noticed neither guy had a match for Final Battle so they turned Cabana. It happening a week after Kamataichi abandoned The Addiction out of no where too. Did they go into the tapings with a list of things they forgot they needed to do and decided to squeeze it all in? The segment where he turned was fine and I'm curious where they'll go, but I think it could have waited or been set up better the last month or two.
AlexROH wrote:
Rich of Honor wrote:I think the TV has really been great since the summer, albeit the blip of two consecutive weeks of Field of Honor stuff. I wonder if they air the Women of Honor special this weeks and then be able to include the first set of tapings for next week.

I have a bad feeling that we may see some retrospectives in the next few weeks.
I really think that they'll show somre UK stuff and WOH in the next few weeks. Maybe they'll star with the tapings from Philly in december the 17th or 24th.
I hope a full episode taped this Sunday is next week’s show. There’s usually a week buffer between a taping and the next episode to air, but I think doing a show with mostly old and repackaged content or a WOH show that will lead to nothing after a likely mostly filler episode this week is a bad move. With Christmas and New Year’s falling on Sunday this year, there’s a chance either or both may be heavy on restrospectives. Doing shows with mostly old content for 3 out of 4 weeks is the type of momentum killer you don’t want to do after your biggest show of the year. I wouldn’t mind if they spent 15 minutes showing most of Ospreay vs. Scurll, but I think they should at least do some Cole/O’Reilly fallout and start the 10 Year tournament next week. If they end up using it as something to elevate say a Daniels, they need start building them up. Anyone but either Jay (yawn) will need as much help as they can get in a holiday stunted PPV cycle to be made into a credible challenger for the anniversary show.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

ndp wrote:To me it almost felt like they were sitting down to book the last set of TV tapings and noticed neither guy had a match for Final Battle so they turned Cabana. It happening a week after Kamataichi abandoned The Addiction out of no where too. Did they go into the tapings with a list of things they forgot they needed to do and decided to squeeze it all in? The segment where he turned was fine and I'm curious where they'll go, but I think it could have waited or been set up better the last month or two.
Yeah it seemed like ROH did want to fill a space or two which I think could have been done in a much different way but I guess if you are trying to deliver matches and an event to what they want to be a very large audience both live and on PPV they need as many big matches as they can get. It's a very WWE style of booking and one that is for that wider audience, I think ROH should look to their crowd as being different and can handle longer more substantiated builds.

Personally I think having say a three way tag match between The Addiction, PBK and Castle/Cabana would have made more sense and I think added to the PPV overall.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

I thought Caprice Coleman was fucking hysterical on the mic this week. I don't know where the hell he was going with that, but I was thoroughly entertained.

Looking at the brackets for the tournament I would not be surprised, nor would I be disappointed if Christopher Daniels won this.

The main event was entertaining. That was a nasty egg on Cole's head.

Decent week, although I would have preferred more interaction between O'Reilly and Fish about the title at the beginning of the show.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

British Invasion Week on this week's latest episode.

On the heels of the WWE announcement that they pilfered Nigel and are expanding into the UK, whether that was their plans or not, ROH decided to punch you in the face with showcasing their latest UK signings Will Osperey and Marty Scrull. Excellent episode I have watched 3 times already. Fans unfamiliar with these 2 are know who the hell they are after they see this. Absolutely brilliant fucking decision by ROH to do this.

On a side note. Unless it's KUSHIDA or The Young Bucks, my son has no interest in wrestling. He has now has added the finger snapping of Marty Scrull as must see viewing.
WHG

Post by WHG »

Mr. Mojo Risin wrote: On a side note. Unless it's KUSHIDA or The Young Bucks, my son has no interest in wrestling. He has now has added the finger snapping of Marty Scrull as must see viewing.
It's so funny what resonates with kids. My son is 11 and is a reasonably well-versed fan. He's been following ROH since he was 8 and has seen a bunch of crazy stuff. Final Battle was the first time he saw Scurll. After the PPV and the craziness of the last two matches, the last thing he said after he was in bed before he fell asleep was "I still can't believe he did that to his fingers..."
Big Red Machine

Mr. Mojo Risin wrote:I thought Caprice Coleman was fucking hysterical on the mic this week. I don't know where the hell he was going with that, but I was thoroughly entertained.
Really? I despised it. I thought that he completely destroyed Kenny and Lio's attempts to make this stable something someone can possibly take seriously.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

Big Red Machine wrote:
Mr. Mojo Risin wrote:I thought Caprice Coleman was fucking hysterical on the mic this week. I don't know where the hell he was going with that, but I was thoroughly entertained.
Really? I despised it. I thought that he completely destroyed Kenny and Lio's attempts to make this stable something someone can possibly take seriously.
You cannot take any stable seriously with Rhett Titus in it.
Big Red Machine

Mr. Mojo Risin wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:
You cannot take any stable seriously with Rhett Titus in it.
Disagree. Rhett Titus is great. Is he character? Certainly. But he is serious when it is called for. Caprice, on the other hand, has been a complete clown since this trio was brought together.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

Let's be real. It's hard to take these 3 seriously after The Cabinet angle. An ANX beatdown of Coleman might change that perspective, but the 3 of them together are clowns. The stigma of that angle is too recent to change my mind.
Big Red Machine

Mr. Mojo Risin wrote:Let's be real. It's hard to take these 3 seriously after The Cabinet angle. An ANX beatdown of Coleman might change that perspective, but the 3 of them together are clowns. The stigma of that angle is too recent to change my mind.
But Caprice being a total clown will keep that stench around them, whereas if he was being serious it would start to go away.

Post by 045 »

Watching this week's show now. It's all 2016 recap stuff with a clipped version of War Machine vs Taylor and Lee from San Antonio which was pretty fun. Apart from the match, the crowd looked kind of sparse and that building appears to be a shithole in general.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

045 wrote:Watching this week's show now. It's all 2016 recap stuff with a clipped version of War Machine vs Taylor and Lee from San Antonio which was pretty fun. Apart from the match, the crowd looked kind of sparse and that building appears to be a shithole in general.
Anything else noteworthy? Or can I skip it?

Post by 045 »

Probably skip it. They had a promo package and highlights of Bullet Club's expansion and Cole v Lethal, highlights of Ladder War, quick packages for Deonna Purrazzo and Kelly Klein, highlights of Mandy Leon v Taeler Hendrix and a few benign studio promos.
cgstong
Admin
Admin

Post by cgstong »

045 wrote:Probably skip it. They had a promo package and highlights of Bullet Club's expansion and Cole v Lethal, highlights of Ladder War, quick packages for Deonna Purrazzo and Kelly Klein, highlights of Mandy Leon v Taeler Hendrix and a few benign studio promos.
Good to know
If you're having any issues with the forum tweet at me Twitter.com/ROH_World
or Fb.com/ROHworld