Weekly ROH TV Thread (on Sinclair Networks)

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Reaper G

Re: ROH on SBG Discussion Thread

Post by Reaper G »

Next week, the end of the ROH 2017 equivalent of an S.D. Jones-Iron Mike Sharpe feud.
alexsmellzzz

Post by alexsmellzzz »

ROH tv review 9/9/17

We get video of the Kingdom vs Bully Ray/Briscoes feud.

And then we get a Bully Ray promo. Nothing special. He comes out and says that he and the Briscoes will beat the Kingdom and then go on to regain the 6 man titles. Then we get clips of Bucks and Page beating Dalton Castle and the Boys in the UK. Marty Scurll on commentary saying that Bully is crazy for them to think they could beat the best 6 man tag team champions of all time, "The Hung Bucks" lol.
To me, this is actually really good storytelling. They only have 1 hour of tv a week and so the story is kind of jam packed and compressed as opposed to what you get on other wrestling tv, but I do appreciate SOME story being told headed into the 2 6 man matches on the ppv. Young Bucks and Page were shown as being the cocky dominating heels and Bully Ray's promo was all about him putting over the Briscoes and saying how much he wanted to be a part of ROH, how he was always a fan of ROH. Kudos to ROH production team for this segment, with using minimal clips and a short Bully Ray promo, they got me hyped for the two 6 man tag matches at the ppv.

Then we get a Cheeseburger/Will Ferrara video package. I'm actually excited to watch this one.

Will Ferrara vs Cheeseburger
And Will Ferrara hits the ring and they're trading shots to start the match! Cheeseburger hits a big elbow. Crowd is chanting Cheeseburger. Will to the outside, and Cheeseburger hits a springboard splash onto him! And he climbs back on the apron and hits a double stomp! Ferrara takes over back in the ring. Marty Scurll is pretty funny here, pretty much stealing the show on commentary. Cheeseburger gets some offense on Ferrara, hitting a sweet looking springboard senton. They work into a cool segment where they're trading in the middle of the ring and Ferrara ends up in an ankle lock. Crowd chanting tap. But Will gets to the ropes. Crowd is into this. Ferrara hits a fireman's carry slam and then a flatliner but Cheeseburger kicks out at 2! Ferrara spits on Cheeseburger! And you can see it land on Cheeseburger's hair! That was actually a gnarly visual. Cheeseburger spits back at Ferrara and hits him with forearms. Burger with a full nelson suplex and then a TOMBSTONE! Ferrara kicks out at 2! Burger back up with a double stomp! 1.. 2.. but Will gets his foot on the ropes! Ferrara hits a clothesline into his submission and Cheeseburger passes out around 9 minutes in. ** This was what it was. They pretty much just started doing spots. I mean, it's Ferrara and Cheeseburger so it's a little jokey no matter what, but it was fun to watch.

Rhett Titus comes out and Ferrara breaks the hold and goes face to face with Titus. But Rhett and Ferrara both start beating on Cheeseburger! So some kind of angle where they are arguing over who gets to beat up Cheeseburger, I guess

We get a Caprice Coleman segment. I like Caprice, he's always entertaining at live shows. Not sure I have any questions for #ColemansPulpit

Clips of Lethal and Silas going to war at the War of the Worlds UK Edinburgh show. I still need to watch that show. Lethal/Silas Last Man Standing coming up in Vegas at the ppv.

Silas Young (w/ Beer City Bruiser) vs Chase Brown
Clips of Lethal beating down Beer City Bruiser last week. Scurll on commentary here is a great presence. More people like him on commentary and less nobodies, please. He hypes up his own match with Chuck Taylor at the ppv. Silas picks up the win around 2:15 in. Silas won't get off Brown but here comes Lethal! Lethal tackles Silas and they're broken up by security. They cut promos. I liked what Silas said here- how he wants the ROH front office to see their match live so they can see that Silas deserves all the opportunities that were given to Lethal.

Cody backstage with an ROH interviewer guy. Cody cuts a pretty good heel promo here.

Then we go backstage at War of the Worlds UK and Bullet Club are bullying Dalton Castle. Out of nowhere, Cody attacks Dalton Castle and beats him down.

We go back to Ian and Marty and Ian hypes up the Punishment/Jay White match. Then we get a couple promos hyping up the ppv, in between other preview images for the ppv. Bully Ray and the Briscoes hype up their match, Jay wearing some funny hat with fake hair on it lol. Kenny King talks about facing Kushida in front of his home town.

Search & Destroy (MCMG/Jay White/Jonathan Gresham) vs Bullet Club (Young Bucks, Guerrillas of Destiny)
Marty dancing to Bullet Club coming out is pretty funny. White and Gresham hit topes to the outside on the Bucks to start. Back in, GOD with neckbreakers on Gresham and White. MCMG knock GOD to the outside and Sabin with a dive. Bucks knock MCMG to the outside and hit dives on them. Nick backs in and misses a superkick on Gresham, Gresham with a sweet springboard moonsault and a dive to the outside. White brainbuster on Nick Jackson setting him up for a Gresham SSP... but Tama Tonga hits a RKO out of nowhere on Gresham! Didn't he do that in New Japan or was that Ospreay? Can't remember. Anyways, sick spot. Young Bucks continue to fight off MCMG with superkicks and Bullet Club celebrating in the ring as we head to commercial. Jay White fighting off both GOD members in the ring. Roa hits Cedric Alexander's finisher on White. Bucks and MCMG back in now, Bucks beating on them. Now Bucks hit kicks on White and Gresham. Bucks with sharpshooters on MCMG! White and Gresham break it up. Bucks hit the bucklebomb/superkick combo. Bucks hit superkicks, MCMG hits superkicks, Jay White gets a uranage on Matt. And then a BIG splash from the top to the outside on everybody. Matt and Sabin trading in the ring and we look to be heading towards a finish. Bucks look for Meltzer Driver but it gets broken up. and MCMG pick up the (upset?) win here about 11 minutes in. **1/4 I've seen a lot of these Bucks multi-man matches. White shined here which was nice. MCMG got a pin on the Bucks before the ppv. Nothing else I can say about this really. Bucks/MCMG is always a good match so I'm sure the ppv will be another good one.

Overall I enjoyed this episode. I thought it built to the ppv well. Would have liked to see more Cody/Suzuki hype. The hype for the ppv was mostly for the undercard stuff on this episode. And the segment with Cody wasn't directed that much towards Suzuki. Suzuki and Kushida, too, are both so big to me, that ROH fails whenever they are not trying to make guys like that look like a big deal. Especially Suzuki. They had that initial clip where he was announced and some clips were shown. But I think he could have been made to look like more of a presence. However, I still have high hopes for the ppv. It's a stacked card. I think it has potential to be really great.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

Reaper G wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:59 pm Next week, the end of the ROH 2017 equivalent of an S.D. Jones-Iron Mike Sharpe feud.
I have absolutely no faith that this will be the end of that feud.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

Really good show this week.

Kenny King vs. Adam Page- Okay match that was a bit sloppy in some spots. I attribute that more to Page as he was having an off night. King gets the win. Page is a borderline jobber now, his scintillating feud with Jay Briscoe seems a lifetime ago.

Rocky Romero vs. Marty Scrull- One of the best matches on ROH television this year. They gave these guys plenty of time and they put on a fucking really good match. These two just clicked in the ring. Would really like to see a rematch with more at stake.

The Briscoes vs. The Kingdom- Wasn't expecting much from this match, but I was pleasantly surprised. Even without Taven this match was solid. The Briscoes are overshadowed by The Young Bucks, but they really know how to bring their A game even in matches like this.

Overall, like I said really good show this week. One of my favorites of the year. Storylines moved forward in a nice manner. My good feelings will be short lived though, as next week is Honor Rumble.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

Agree, just watched it. Great episode this week. Didn't like as much as you did the Scurll-Romero match, but totally agree with The Briscoes comment. I know that The Young Bucks are way more popular, but man, The Briscoes had to be the most underated tag team of the decade. One of the best teams of all time and definitly, the best tag team of the decade, IMO.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

Weak episode this week. The three way tag match at the begining was fine, Flip is improving, but man, Cody is average as fuck. His match with Kaz was bad, he just shined when he did that unspectacular Super Arm Drag from the top rope. Plus, we had another ref. bump and some interferences, bc, you, it's cool! Cody's reign is being awful:

vs Daniels (BITW) *1/4
vs Daniels (ROH TV) ***1/4
vs SANADA (WOTW) ***1/2
vs Kaz (ROH TV) *
vs Suzuki (DBD) **1/2
King of Indy Style

Post by King of Indy Style »

I actually thought that the SANADA match was the worst of the bunch. Like....less than a star bad.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

AlexROH wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:23 pm Weak episode this week. The three way tag match at the begining was fine, Flip is improving, but man, Cody is average as fuck. His match with Kaz was bad, he just shined when he did that unspectacular Super Arm Drag from the top rope. Plus, we had another ref. bump and some interferences, bc, you, it's cool! Cody's reign is being awful:

vs Daniels (BITW) *1/4
vs Daniels (ROH TV) ***1/4
vs SANADA (WOTW) ***1/2
vs Kaz (ROH TV) *
vs Suzuki (DBD) **1/2
You know a case could be made that Cody is the anti-AJ Styles. In the sense it was good for both that they were banking on their name to profit business wise. Neither had to take a hit in the pocket. The difference between the two is that, AJ had a really spectacular run of some good to really great matches. Cody? Still waiting... and waiting for him to deliver in the ring. His match with Okada was *** stars for me, but it wasn't even in ROH and Okada just outshined Cody as a wrestler. I thought he was good in his feud with Lethal, but how much was it better because of him and not Cody?
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

The TV over the last month or so has been great, from all aspect from production to match quality, angles and promo's are much better generally, a light is being shone on other people which is great.

Alex I really do think your dislike for Cody clouds your judgement of his matches, his Kaz match was certainly not a one star match the same for Daniels, i think you need to watch some $5 Dollar wrestling shows to see what a one star match is.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

BurningHammer wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:07 pm The TV over the last month or so has been great, from all aspect from production to match quality, angles and promo's are much better generally, a light is being shone on other people which is great.

Alex I really do think your dislike for Cody clouds your judgement of his matches, his Kaz match was certainly not a one star match the same for Daniels, i think you need to watch some $5 Dollar wrestling shows to see what a one star match is.
Ahahahaha, we have some indy wrestling here in Spain, so I know even what a 1/4* match is. I understand that some of you could enjoy the match. With my rating I'm not saying that the match is horrible, what I'm sayins is that I didn't like the match.

Btw, gotta agree with you with your statement about ROH TV. Good production, fresh faces, good post-production segments. They build storylines and they're finally creating hype even for the VOD shows.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

AlexROH wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:41 am
BurningHammer wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:07 pm The TV over the last month or so has been great, from all aspect from production to match quality, angles and promo's are much better generally, a light is being shone on other people which is great.

Ahahahaha, we have some indy wrestling here in Spain, so I know even what a 1/4* match is. I understand that some of you could enjoy the match. With my rating I'm not saying that the match is horrible, what I'm sayins is that I didn't like the match.

Btw, gotta agree with you with your statement about ROH TV. Good production, fresh faces, good post-production segments. They build storylines and they're finally creating hype even for the VOD shows.
Fair play, I can understand how Cody's matches can irk people, he seems to have a problem creating a complete match, like with Suzuki, it seemed to miss a middle if it had a extra ten minutes in the middle the ending would have made sense and creating something better, same could be said for the match with Daniels but an extra five or ten on the end insteand of Daniels being pinned after all the counters and it would have been very good.

I've been meaning to ask you about the wrestling scene in Spain, does it have a big fan base or is it growing also what is the general style is it more Lucha based, Strong Style etc.

Yeah for sure TV has been everything it should have been for a while really but glad there has been a real upswing with investment into the product.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

BurningHammer wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:40 am
AlexROH wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:41 am

Fair play, I can understand how Cody's matches can irk people, he seems to have a problem creating a complete match, like with Suzuki, it seemed to miss a middle if it had a extra ten minutes in the middle the ending would have made sense and creating something better, same could be said for the match with Daniels but an extra five or ten on the end insteand of Daniels being pinned after all the counters and it would have been very good.

I've been meaning to ask you about the wrestling scene in Spain, does it have a big fan base or is it growing also what is the general style is it more Lucha based, Strong Style etc.

Yeah for sure TV has been everything it should have been for a while really but glad there has been a real upswing with investment into the product.
Wrestling "doesn't have" a big fanbase. I mean, it isn't like wrestling in the USA/Mexico/Japan. Is more like a little Germany. We have to promotions that run shows on a monthly basis. They aren't proffesional bc they don't get paid for what they do. We have to major protions in Barcelona (RIOT Wrestling) and Madrid (White Wolf Wrestling).

In Madrid, the shows are free, so the wrestling academy lives thanks to the people that buy merch and snacks/drinks at the bar. The fanbase in Madrid is awesome, between 200-500 people go to these shows. Last january, they bring Ricochet for a match (I think I posted the interview I had with him on this forum), and last month, three of their best talents (A-Kid, Adam Chase & Zayas) went to CHIKARA's King of Trios and wrestle British Strong Style in the first round. People loved their match and now all of them are getting more bookings in the UK.

In Barcelona, our local indy wrestling fanbase isn't as big as in Madrid. We have the same system, but some of our shows aren't free and the ticket cost like 3-4 euros. Our crowds aren't as good as the ones in Madrid and between 150-250 people go to our shows. We have some wrestlers that have wrestle in Europe and internationally. La Pulga is our greatest export, he trained 3 months at the ZERO 1 Dojo in Japan and had some matches under the name of Dios Maradona. He was at the EVOLVE tryout during the past WM Weekend and now he's training with Dru Onyx at the Torture Chamber Dojo in Canda (the same place where Kevin Steen trained before going to WWE).

Some great indy talents have wrestle in Spain. Claudio Castagnoli, Chris Hero, El Generico, Mark Andrews, Zack Sabre Jr, Greg Burridge or Ricochet had matches here. Dragon Gate made a show in 2010, Open the Spanish Gate, during his European tour, and Davey f'n Richards had his very first ROH World title defense in Barcelona against Tommy End back in 2011! Surreal ahahah.

There isn't a defined style. We have all kind of wrestlers. But, as many indies, matches are move based. I mean, since the fanbase isn't as big and the crowds are full of casuals fans or non hardcore-fans, wrestlers cannot have long technical matches, just bc people would be bored.

If your are interested, here you have some links:

- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcNak4 ... hlQ/videos (RIOT's official page)
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVa580-2dM8&t=55s (A very good match with La Pulga)
- https://www.youtube.com/user/latriplew (White Wolf Wrestling's page)
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKR5-qgizP0 (The famous Ricochet vs A-Kid match from January)
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

wow, cheers Alex, sometimes I have a blank spot at how far wrestling spreads around the world. Spain just hasn't been a country I have heard much from even talent wise. I will certainly check out the matches and I hope Spain starts to get more people heading out to others countries and getting there name noticed.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

I find it really odd that ROH has a TV deal in Portugal and India but not Spain, France, or Germany.

Or, more obviously, English speaking countries like the UK, Ireland, South Africa, Australia, New Zealand, etc.

At least they can use the website and Fite TV to watch the product. I'm hoping this Sinclair/Tribune merger goes through for entirely selfish reasons: when ROH left Comet, they lost their only TV presence in Denver as we don't get Charge yet; however, the local Fox and CW stations are Tribune-owned so it's likely that ROH would get back on TV and in HD this time. I'm sick of using the Fite website to watch the show evey week.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

Awesome episode this week! Very cool matches and promos, great work by ROH building Silas vs Suzuki! The trios title match was f'n awesome, Hung Bucks are what this division needed, a solid **** match, IMO.
teddybrewski

Post by teddybrewski »

I was pleasantly surprised by the Cody/Kazarian match considering Cody's slow, grounded WWE style of wrestling, mixed in with his heelish stalling of matches. And Kaz isn't exactly the most technically sound guy to have faith in to get a decent match out of Cody. But they worked a nice, fast paced match with some cool moves packed in before all the shenanigans. But even the shenanigans made sense, and didn't hurt Kaz as a result, compared to if Cody would've beat him clean, which wouldn't have been a problem either.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

I enjoyed TV again this week, I thought Bully's promo was good, the crowd responded really well and silence or hush really helped.(I wish I had seen this episode before the GW tour it would have explained a few small things going into it. Sometimes it helps to read or remember spoilers.

I would really like to see more Scorpio Sky especially against Kushida.

Whoever is putting together the three man tags is doing a really good job, they are starting to become something unique to ROH and the more quality of matches that are put out it will help the style and overall the belts.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

Agreed. I thought this past week's episode with The Kingdom vs. The Dawgs vs. C2C was shockingly decent considering the parties involved. It was nice spot to showcase them. C2C is really growing on me. Some of their double team moves, like the psych out by LSG acting like he is going to fly over the top rope, only for Ali to fly over him and nail everyone, are believable.

Taven was great on commentary again. He says shit that no one else does, like calling out The Elite for implying they are better than the rest of Bullet Club, or saying Rhett Titus has jaundice because he wonders why his hands are orange. I think it's great stuff.

The Cody/Dalton Castle build has been meh. It's missing something to make me emotionally invested.

Colt has been entertaining on commentary when Alex Shelley has wrestled. He has been calling him out for hamming it up to the cameras. Being that Shelley is a face, I like this.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

This week's episode has been awesome! One of my favourites in recent memory. Everything had a purpose and helped the build for Final Battle. Taylor's victory in the ME was so emotional and Lethal-Scurll promo/segment was gold. When his contract expires, Lethal deserves to go to the WWE. He has everything to shine there.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

I haven't seen this weeks, but the end of the tag team title match with War Machine and MCMG was pretty much the worse, cluster fuck of an ending I have seen from ROH in a long time. I mean seriously silly string and still no DQ just the what the hell was that.