Weekly ROH TV Thread (on Sinclair Networks)

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
BurningHammer

Re: Weekly ROH TV Thread (on Sinclair Networks)

Post by BurningHammer »

AlexROH wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:56 pm
BurningHammer wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:35 am
Mr. Mojo Risin wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:01 pm

Pretty much agree with all of this, including the right wing advertising.

I liked The Briscoes/Young Bucks angle, but you are correct, where was the follow up? It was a really good segment, with The Briscoes just fucking annihilating everyone out there, but they needed to keep it hot and they missed a step.

Agree about Cody. More enjoyable to watch at everything...after he lost the title.
Yeah they did miss such an easy lay up, especially when Bullet Club as a whole group is meant to be so strong and dominent. To have nothing for the next week seemed so week and unlike what such a group would do. With regards to the Briscoes this is probably my favourite incarnation of them for a while, they should have been like this for years.
Briscoes' heel run has been awesome so far. Great character work and always strong matches with both regular roh teams and international dúos. Also the fact that they are main eventing shows is great for the tag división and the Titles.
Yeah totally agree, i think Mark especially has really gone up another level getting away from his Kung Fu stick and just being the insane recker of other makes him something else. The way they are building the the Bucks and Briscoes I can see them main eventing BITW.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

BurningHammer wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:32 pm
AlexROH wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:56 pm
BurningHammer wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:35 am

Yeah they did miss such an easy lay up, especially when Bullet Club as a whole group is meant to be so strong and dominent. To have nothing for the next week seemed so week and unlike what such a group would do. With regards to the Briscoes this is probably my favourite incarnation of them for a while, they should have been like this for years.
Briscoes' heel run has been awesome so far. Great character work and always strong matches with both regular roh teams and international dúos. Also the fact that they are main eventing shows is great for the tag división and the Titles.
Yeah totally agree, i think Mark especially has really gone up another level getting away from his Kung Fu stick and just being the insane recker of other makes him something else. The way they are building the the Bucks and Briscoes I can see them main eventing BITW.
They could main event BITW, agree, but not this year. Dalton-Cody-Scurll is a bigger and more unpredictable match for the company right now. Probably the coronation of a new champion, that should always be the ME.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

I know y'all hate Taven but I think he's been on fire lately
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

famicommander wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:17 pm I know y'all hate Taven but I think he's been on fire lately
Agreed. 100%
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Apart from the Cody and Marty angle being too short for what was one of the last times Marty will be on TV for ROH, i enjoyed the episode.

The main event especially connected, I thought both looked great and it may only be me but it looks so easy to work with Silas. (The belt has really grown on me more than I thought it would). I felt the end opened up so many avenues for Aries, the last time he came back i really wasn't feeling it but here he felt more involved in the match and it looked like he was coming back for something bigger next time.

One thing that did annoy me was how Riccaboni told us the world title would be a three way and we all new about, but Cody's promo was all about annoucning how he was wanting his rematch for the title at BITW as if we had no idea about it. Couldn't he have left the announcement until after Cody's promo?
KL_

Post by KL_ »

Coleman's Pulpit: Punishment Martinez
https://www.rohwrestling.com/top-videos ... t-martinez
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

Loved this week's main event! I though Aries was going to be house show mode but he had a competitive match. Great wrestling and a they also told a cool story. The final part worked. I hope this Aries's turn heel means that he is comming back. Aries vs. King vs. Silas looks like the logical match for BITW.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

BurningHammer wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:51 am one of the last times Marty will be on TV for ROH,
Did I miss some major news?
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Big Red Machine wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:46 pm
BurningHammer wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:51 am one of the last times Marty will be on TV for ROH,
Oh no, just that he had the BOSJ tour so he couldn't attend the past weeks TV tapings. So if they are going to use those tapings to build for the PPV there isn't alot of build for the main event and it's really going to have to be through vignettes, which can only do so much.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

BurningHammer wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:36 pm
Big Red Machine wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:46 pm
Oh no, just that he had the BOSJ tour so he couldn't attend the past weeks TV tapings. So if they are going to use those tapings to build for the PPV there isn't alot of build for the main event and it's really going to have to be through vignettes, which can only do so much.
Hopefully they did some pre-tapes with Cody or something.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

All around really good show this week.

Flip Gordon vs. Jonathan Gresham was solid. Post match segment with Bully Ray went too long though. It felt awkward and the payoff was what we thought it would be. I am weary of Bully Ray and his role in this company. Either get rid of him or reduce his airtime.

Deonna Purrazzo vs. Kelly Klein was another strong offering from the WOH. Sorry to see this feud end.

The Briscoes vs. Roppongi 3K was given the proper amount of time and was an enjoyable textbook tag team match. I love this incarnation of The Briscoes. Sho and You held their own, all though the latter looked weak at times with some of his strikes and kicks and was out of place a few times. Having said that, I found the match entertaining and Jay Briscoe has great facial expressions that are so integral to his character.

Two weeks in a row with good main events. I'm happy.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Great job on the TV listings, Sinclair.

When I use my zipcode on the TV listings search on ROHwrestling.com, it says no records found.
When I use my zipcode on the TV listings search on Stadium or Charge's websites, it says the channels are not available in my area.

Today I just happened to hit the wrong input on my TV and switched to the antenna, which I almost never use since I have cable and a PC hooked to the same TV. But the channel that immediately came up was Charge. It must have taken over whatever other digital subnet was on that channel last time I used the antenna.

So I did a full channel search, and it came up with Stadium as well.

I have ROH TV on two stations in my city (Denver, a major media market) and there is absolutely no way I could discover that information on ROH's website, Charge's website, or Stadium's website.

I mean, what the hell?

Who do I bitch to about this? It's ridiculous.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Another good episode, i honestly can't remember the last bad one really, I don't think i have ever said that about ROH TV. Especially when you consider that this part of the War of the Worlds tv tapings which are usualy just a complete mess and do nothing for any PPV build up, these have actually helped deliver one way or another build to the PPV.

The segment at the end of the Flip certainly went too long but in some ways it still delivered the outcome because people just got pissed off by it being so long so the pay off will still work.

Klein has improved a tone and as long as the quality of wrestler comes along she should really be the champ.

It was nice to have them acknowledge the series of matches with Lethal and Kushida.

The Briscoes continue being the best of themselves they have been in possibly a decade.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

Maaaaaan, what a main event!! Fantastic match. I'm not a big fan of RPG 3K, but they showed me some personalinty here. Briscoes are on another level since the heel turn. Plus, great atmosphere in Chicago and grea/emotional comentary work by Riccaboni, Cabana and Coleman.

My favourite title defense so far I have almost every of their matches from this reign in the ***3/4 range, but this is easily **** or ****1/4 in my book. Love every second of it.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

It seemed like it was all about the Ten man tag on this episode and it would have worked really well if it wasn't for all the breaks that really hurt the momemtum and story of the match. That said there were little bits here and there that added to the PPV build wierdly, night two of Texas shows probably did more for the PPV in some ways, if you also had this match just before NJPW's most recent big event it would have added another wrinkle to the Bucks and Sanada/Evil match.

I had no problem with Taylors promo, him getting more air time will hopefully only help, especially when he is alone in the ring, these are chances people need to take to grow.

Why Kenny King was in a match without saying anything about what happened to him last week in a bigger way than just to the camera on his entrance I don't really know. I think really you could have swapped the mic time with Kenny and have a match with Taylor and Chuck, although them calling back to past house show events is a good thing.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Video quality on the website is once again unwatchable.

What the hell is the problem here? I have the bitrate turned all the way up, I have a modern PC, I have a fast connection. And yet I'm getting massive pixelation and screen tearing.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

Here is the full card for the event:

IWGP Heavyweight Champion Kenny Omega defending against Cody Rhodes

IWGP United States Heavyweight Champion Jay White defending against Juice Robinson

IWGP Junior Heavyweight Champion Hiromu Takahashi defending against Dragon Lee

Kazuchika Okada & Will Ospreay vs. Tetsuya Naito & BUSHI

IWGP Tag Team Champions The Young Bucks defending against EVIL & SANADA

NEVER Openweight Champion Hirooki Goto defending against Jeff Cobb

Hiroshi Tanahashi & KUSHIDA vs. Hangman Page & Marty Scurll

Tomohiro Ishii & Toru Yano vs. Minoru Suzuki & Zack Sabre Jr.

YOSHI-HASHI, Gedo, Rocky Romero, SHO & YOH vs. Haku (Meng), Tama Tonga, Tanga Loa, Yujiro Takahashi & Chase Owens
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

King Haku is wrasslin?

Seems odd to put him in a match with four juniors on the opposing side.

Gedo 'bout to eat that pin.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Watched my first TV episode in a while. When did they start doing the "Honor is Real" sizzle reels in lieu of "Creating Excellence?" The voiceover sounds like it reads from Christopher Daniels ("Welcome to Ring of Honor wrestling"), to Jay Lethal ("Honor"), to Dalton Castle ("is"), to Cody ("real"). This paired up with the leading Bullet Club promo into the prominently displayed Bullet Club of the newest intro video made it clearer than ever how ROH is promoting themselves. I guess your mileage will vary on that depending on how you come down on that group.

- Kenny King is better than Chuck Taylor
- For a minute I thought Sinclair replaced their old person commercials for TMZ VO guy reading ad lines for Jericho's cruise, but we still have our reliable [insert achey body part] brace commercials : )
- I pretty much have a full neuro-telemetric image of the Briscoe's barn by this point
- Never really noticed how trap influenced Shane Taylor's theme is--it's cool to see his hype video accompanied by it, especially on a network like Sinclair
- Shane / Woods is a lost cause, gang
- The TV editing crew trimmed down Naito's theme, which is a sin
- Individual entrances for Bullet Club in contrast to LIJ, suggesting the former team is the bigger fixture, another sin
- This match has no heels or faces?
- Naito has a fun time in the States
- I think LIJ might be more over in ROH than ever before?
- This match feels EXREMELY New Japan-lite
- ROH TV is just more fun when viewed on occasion rather than multiple times a month
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

Strong go-home show. Dalton's openning promo was kindda meh, but the two matches were great and got a lot of time. Plus, good built into the PPV.

I LOVED the main event. Crazy trios match. Briscoes vs. Bucks have the potential to be the best match they've ever had.