Weekly ROH TV Thread (on Sinclair Networks)

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
AlexROH

Re: ROH on SBG Discussion Thread

Post by AlexROH »

Didn't like this week's episode. Cody promo as babyface was meh, this Lowell crowd was akward, booing Daniels like he is the top heel in the company. Gresham-Martinez was fine, I hope Delirious gives Jonathan a push, he's a great talent. Cheeseburger & Friends ufff, it's the same thing they did with Brutal Bob. Put this on YouTube or in the pre-show, please. Main event was average and worse than your usual BC match. Too many ref. bumps. And the end... Well, turning Briscoes heel is a bad move, giving Bully a singles push is a bad move too.
SweetDaddy

Post by SweetDaddy »

So you'd rather see Gresham than Bully Ray and you didn't like this episode when the best talents they had were used?

LMFAO

Gresham should be selling hot dogs.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

SweetDaddy wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:35 am So you'd rather see Gresham than Bully Ray and you didn't like this episode when the best talents they had were used?

LMFAO

You can have your top wrestlers but still do a bad episode. Then you can use your midcard and have a great show.

And yes, I don't like Bully in ROH. As a wrestler I really enjoyed his heel work in TNA. In ROH he has done nothing for me. And Gresham is, right now, one of the, if not the, Best pure wrestlers in ROH. Watch his work in Beyond if you don't believe me.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

AlexROH wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:18 pm
SweetDaddy wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:35 am So you'd rather see Gresham than Bully Ray and you didn't like this episode when the best talents they had were used?

LMFAO

You can have your top wrestlers but still do a bad episode. Then you can use your midcard and have a great show.

And yes, I don't like Bully in ROH. As a wrestler I really enjoyed his heel work in TNA. In ROH he has done nothing for me. And Gresham is, right now, one of the, if not the, Best pure wrestlers in ROH. Watch his work in Beyond if you don't believe me.
I agree 100% with you Alex. Gresham can work with anybody.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

Good competitive match between KUSHIDA and Jay White in this week's main event.

Shane Taylor randomly​ attacks Josh Woods.

Marty Scrull is a genius. Doesn't do shit in the match except breakup pin attempts, gets the pinfall, and is the most over guy in the episode.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

AlexROH wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:18 pm

LMFAO

The problem is that being a pure wrestler doesn't mean sh*t in ROH anymore because he will never be given time to go out there and really impress people with his skills.
alexsmellzzz

Post by alexsmellzzz »

ROH tv review (aired on 7/23)

Bullet Club (Bucks and Hangman Page) out for a promo early. They say they already beat Briscoes and Bully, now they want Dalton and the Boys. And since Bullet Club’s in the office, consider the match booked. Page introduces Marty Scurll for the first match.

6-Man Mayhem

El Terrible vs Josh Woods vs Will Ferrara vs Frankie Kazarian vs Vinny Marseglia vs Marty Scurll

During each guy’s introductions, they show a clip of the thing they most recently did in the company. A convenient refresher. I honestly had forgotten that Will Ferrara and Cheeseburger were going through hard times. Next week is a special Women of Honor episode. Kaz and Ferrara start. Josh Woods now in with Will. Now it’s Marseglia with Woods. Marseglia and Terrible now, exchanging chops in the middle of the ring. Marty breaks up a pin attempt, seems like he’s easily the most over of everybody in the match. Terrible has great expressions, like an insane person. Terrible controlling the ring. After going through Marseglia, Terrible has now moved onto Kaz. We go away to break, come back and Kaz is giving Woods a rana on the outside floor. Now Woods has Kaz up and just throws him over with an exploder on the outside! Woods now comes charging at Ferrara but Shane Taylor comes out of nowhere, taking Woods out. Shane Taylor leaves the ring, Woods left laying on the outside. Inside, Marty Scurll, having done nothing yet in the match yet, looks for a chicken wing on Ferrara! But Marseglia jumps in and scares him off. Kaz now hits a DDT on Ferrara, lung blower on Terrible, and an unprettier on Terrible! Now slingshot cutter on Marseglia! Kaz looks to win, but Scurll throws him outside. Scurll steals the pin and gets the 3! **1/2 Good action, but an awkward pace. I liked how Scurll ended up winning despite not having done anything in the whole match. Kaz looked good, Ferrara looked good, Woods looked green. Nothing new to see here. Taylor vs Woods sounds pretty dumb, honestly. It’s like the last place guy vs the second-to-last-place guy. They really need to get some of these undercard guys over as soon as possible.

Commercials

Ian tells us when we come back that in 2 weeks, we’ll see Cody and Daniels 2 out of 3 falls. Beer City Bruiser is out here, accompanied by Silas Young. And in the ring is a guy I’m familiar with from seeing him on Beyond shows… it’s Brian Milonas! Milonas, like Bruiser, is a really big guy, so this should be fun.

Beer City Bruiser vs Brian Milonas

Clothesline attempts but neither guy is going down. Bruiser looks for a splash but Milonas catches him! Wow. And Milonas with a fallaway slam, that was awesome. Milonas with a couple big splashes in the corner on Bruiser and a clothesline. Silas interferes, drawing Milonas over to him. Milonas gets knocked out of the ring, Bruiser follows with a big cannonball! Lots of action to start this one. Both back in, Bruiser with a running shot to the face on Milonas. Bruiser does it again! Now Bruiser with a running hip to the face with Milonas in the corner. And a big cannonball on Milonas. Cover, 2 count. Bruiser going up top! Milonas catches him up there. Milonas looking for a… superplex and he hits it! 2 count! Now Milonas with a running back senton, another 2 count. But Milonas MISSES a big leg drop from the middle rope! Now Bruiser goes to the top, BIG frog splash and gets the 3. ***1/4 This was entertaining. I DO question using this much tv time to put Beer City Bruiser over.. but I still liked the match. Not sure they could have done anything better with the time given.

Commercials

MAIN EVENT TIME

ROH World Television Championship
Kushida (c) vs Jay White

Kushida in a grey colored get-up. White in black trunks, white boots. Riccaboni mentions White’s win over Christopher Daniels that helped launch his ROH career. White with wrist lock. Kushida gets out, front face lock. Now Kushida with a pin, 1 count, both square off. White whips Kushida into the ropes, shoulder block to Kushida. Kushida back up, whips White into the ropes. Kushida hits a dropkick on a seated Jay White! Kushida into the ropes, White with a BIG dropkick! And we go to a commercial break…..

We come back and Riccaboni talks about next week’s Women of Honor episode. White now controlling Kushida in the ring. White with a Muta lock! And HOLDS Kushida’s hand so Kushida can’t tap! But Kushida reaches with his other hand. Kushida knocks White out of the ring. Now Kushida with a tope con hilo to the outside! Now both back in. Lowell crowd quiet for this match. White with a suplex, holds on, carries it over, another suplex. Aaaand does it again! And again, but this time White suplexes Kushida into the corner! Now both guys back up. White hits a flatliner. White with a german on Kushida. But Kushida counters, hoverboard lock attempt! But White reaches the ropes and we go to more commercials.

We come back and the crowd getting hot finally as White is trying to get the match stopped with repeated elbows on Kushida. White looking for a cobra clutch crossface now, but Kushida inching toward the ropes. And now White picking up Kushida and slams him down to the mat. White signals for Kiwi Krusher. But Kushida with a small package. Kushida pele kick! Now both guys down as crowd getting behind them. White and Kushida meet in the middle and Kushida looking for an armbar but White picks him up with the Kiwi Krusher and drops him! But only a 2 count. Now both guys exchange strikes in the middle of the ring! They’re up in the corner. Kushida carries White off the turnbuckles holding the armbar, slamming down on the mat! Kushida has him with the hoverboard lock! White reaching for the ropes, but Kushida rolls through, picks White up and hits Back to the Future! ***1/2

Kenny King comes down to the ring, sizing up Kushida. We don’t know when we’ll get this one, but in 2 weeks we’re getting Cody/Christopher Daniels 2/3 falls. And next week, we’re getting our special Women of Honor episode, headlined by Kelly Klein vs Karen Q vs Deonna Purrazzo. And also Kris Wolf from Stardom making her tv debut against Sumie Sakai.

Personally, I think the tv episodes have been pretty decent for the last couple months. Things generally make sense and we get good matches. Despite a generally dull crowd, I think this week was another good week of ROH tv. We got a pretty fun multi-man match to start off the show. Then a slobberknocker featuring 2 really talented big men. Hope to see more of Milonas in ROH. And then a great main event to cap it off. Kushida and White could probably do something better than what we got here, but it was still really good.
Big Red Machine

This actually seems like a watchable episode. I just don't understand why they're doing a Women of Honor special in the middle of a set of tapings.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

Watching ROH TV. Who the hell is Rico de la Vega and why he's commentating ROH? Hahaha.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

AlexROH wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:55 am Watching ROH TV. Who the hell is Rico de la Vega and why he's commentating ROH? Hahaha.
Fine, not great, episode of ROH TV this week. Opening match was ergh. I usually like 6 Man Mayhem matches, but this was average (**3/4). Woods vs Taylor looks like a forced feud. They need to give them something, but there's no mid/uppercarder guys with credibility to feed them. Daniels promo was OK. As Wrestling Observer said, they have finally cut Daniels' promo. It was said that he said some things about WWE/NXT. Millonas-Silas wasn't as bad as I thoght it would be, but c'mon, why is Brian Millonas on my TV? Why is he getting 10 minutes in an hour program? Why isn't Skyler, Stallion or Starr, for name a few, in this spot? Main event, btw, was great (***1/2). A solid TV Title match. I'm liking KUSHIDA's reing and I hope he retains the title at WOTW UK. Having him at DBD will secure a solid-great technical match at the PPV.

Next week we'll have a WOH special, so yes, I won't be watching it.
Big Red Machine

AlexROH wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:02 am
AlexROH wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:55 am Watching ROH TV. Who the hell is Rico de la Vega and why he's commentating ROH? Hahaha.
Fine, not great, episode of ROH TV this week. Opening match was ergh. I usually like 6 Man Mayhem matches, but this was average (**3/4). Woods vs Taylor looks like a forced feud. They need to give them something, but there's no mid/uppercarder guys with credibility to feed them. Daniels promo was OK. As Wrestling Observer said, they have finally cut Daniels' promo. It was said that he said some things about WWE/NXT. Millonas-Silas wasn't as bad as I thoght it would be, but c'mon, why is Brian Millonas on my TV? Why is he getting 10 minutes in an hour program? Why isn't Skyler, Stallion or Starr, for name a few, in this spot? Main event, btw, was great (***1/2). A solid TV Title match. I'm liking KUSHIDA's reing and I hope he retains the title at WOTW UK. Having him at DBD will secure a solid-great technical match at the PPV.

That ten minutes they gave Milonas here is probably a bit longer than his two TPT matches combined. How sad is it that they give a guy more time in a match where he is clearly being brought in in an enhancement role where everyone knows he has no chance than they did in TWO matches designed to make us think that he is some sort of hot up-and-coming prospect? And was BCB beating a nobody in a singles match really necessary at all? Is there a Beer City Bruiser singles push coming or something? Delirious has now idea how to use his TV time well, no idea how to tell an effective story, no idea how to make outcomes matter, no idea how to get talent over, and none of his trainees have ever amounted to sh*t. How the hell is he still employed?
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

Big Red Machine wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:27 am
AlexROH wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:02 am

How the hell is he still employed?
Because he doesn't want to hear any feedback that it's negative. Because noboday tells him what he's doing wrong. Because he is a bad booker. And, most importantly, because the only man with more power than him is Joe Koff aka someone who doesn't give a fuck about wrestling, someone that loves HunterJohnson and someone that uses ROH bc is a cheap product and it's (right now) a profitable product. Nothing is gonna change. I'm more convinced everyday that SGB will never fire him and, of course, he isn't going to leave his job and give it to a person that really loves the company and wants to make ROH's product better.
YimYac

Post by YimYac »

AlexROH wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:01 am
Because he doesn't want to hear any feedback that it's negative. Because noboday tells him what he's doing wrong. Because he is a bad booker. And, most importantly, because the only man with more power than him is Joe Koff aka someone who doesn't give a fuck about wrestling, someone that loves HunterJohnson and someone that uses ROH bc is a cheap product and it's (right now) a profitable product. Nothing is gonna change. I'm more convinced everyday that SGB will never fire him and, of course, he isn't going to leave his job and give it to a person that really loves the company and wants to make ROH's product better.
Wait why would they fire someone if the product is profitable?
YimYac

Post by YimYac »

Spanish commentator and occasionally does Women of Honor as well.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

YimYac wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:57 am
AlexROH wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:01 am
Wait why would they fire someone if the product is profitable?
Because, if you care about your company, you should think long term. Keeping Delirious as the head booker bc "the product is profitable right now" (despite his lower quality) is, as we said here in Spain: «bread for today and hunger for tomorrow» aka ""short-term gain, long term pain".
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

To be fair, Delirious's run is the only time in the entire history of the company that they have turned a profit.

I still think he should be replaced but it's not hard to see why Sinclair doesn't care. ROH is just airtime filler for them and it happens to make money on its own. They don't know shit about wrestling but they do know that Delirious's product makes them money with essentially no effort and very little cost on their part.
King of Indy Style

Post by King of Indy Style »

Finally got to KUSHIDA vs. Jay White. Jesus Christ, I didn't realize goddamn Tony Montana was on commentary
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

King of Indy Style wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:18 pm Finally got to KUSHIDA vs. Jay White. Jesus Christ, I didn't realize goddamn Tony Montana was on commentary
Yeah man, that guy sucked. Why they couldn't keep Colt Cabana for canned commentary is bullshit. I think he and Ian are starting to develop good chemistry on commentary. Riccaboni had this douche last week and now has Joe Koff this week. Poor guy.
Big Red Machine

famicommander wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:04 pm To be fair, Delirious's run is the only time in the entire history of the company that they have turned a profit.

I still think he should be replaced but it's not hard to see why Sinclair doesn't care. ROH is just airtime filler for them and it happens to make money on its own. They don't know shit about wrestling but they do know that Delirious's product makes them money with essentially no effort and very little cost on their part.
That has more to do with TV exposure and better PPV deals than it does with the product. A Gabe or Pearce booked ROH with Delirous' TV exposure would almost certainly turn a bigger prophet, because they knew out to build up stories for TV and make house shows matter.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

You don't get better PPV and TV deals if nobody wants to watch the product, though.

I agree that Pearce and Sapolsky were better bookers but the numbers are what they are.