Weekly ROH TV Thread (on Sinclair Networks)

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
AlexROH

Re: ROH on SBG Discussion Thread

Post by AlexROH »

Yeah, this show wasn't great. I was looking for better wrestling but they told interesting stories. Putting Yano vs Elgin on TV, when you are a month from your biggest PPV of the year, doesn't make any sense. Away from that, I like how they worked the Proving Ground Match. I mean, it wasn't a good match by any means, but set a match for Final Battle and made people think that Bobby Fish's reign maybe in trouble looking into his defense against Page next week. Also, it would be great for Dragon Lee to work with Fish in the future. They will wrestle in a slower tempo and that will help Lee's in ring work.

The main event has some interesting thigs. First of all, I love the idea of this New Kingdom. Some people (and the live crowd) were looking for two bigger names; but I think that was the right move. ROH need to create new talent and TKO/Marseglia are perfect wrestlers for this position. And men, since he won de ROH World Title, Adam's in-ring work has been so bad. Hope he gets in better "shape" (?) for Final Battle.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Yeah, if you are going to make Taven the big name or the lead guy you can't really bring in bigger names else the spotlight will be split to heavily to one side and that just brings Taven down. It's just really for a debut you need more of an impact but it needed to be done. I think if they had made say a Generation Next type debut it wouldn't have mattered so much but this had been presented in a long awaited sort of way and that comes with pressure.

I think the problem with working with Lee, people are expecting a very fast paced match with a lot going on. I think if they build more physcology into the match then it should help it alot.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

YimYac wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:Should I assume that the Gresham vs. Delirious match is nowhere near as good or technically based as the announcers were putting it over as being?
If you like World of Sport catch as catch can technical work you'll like it, they don't throw a single strike throughout it. It's a lot of british inspired technical wrestling. You already seem to have made up your mind so you most likely won't enjoy it.
I actually love that style. I'm just wary of anything Kevin Kelly hypes up to that degree because at this point Kevin has killed all of his credibility via hyperbole (and, admittedly, a little incredulous, since we have seen nothing like that out of Delirious in pretty much all of his appearances since taking over the book).
Big Red Machine

BurningHammer wrote:Yeah, if you are going to make Taven the big name or the lead guy you can't really bring in bigger names else the spotlight will be split to heavily to one side and that just brings Taven down. It's just really for a debut you need more of an impact but it needed to be done. I think if they had made say a Generation Next type debut it wouldn't have mattered so much but this had been presented in a long awaited sort of way and that comes with pressure.
I don't think people were quite expecting big names, but I think they were expecting names with some kind of buzz about them. Marseglia might be a great worker, but as someone who has only seen him as a jobber in ROH, he feels extremely underwhelming to me. I think what people were hoping for is a guy of a Lio Rush level where he is clearly very talented but he is young and thus would feel right in a stable led by Taven because Taven is the veteran. In this case it feels like we got two unknowns and Taven is the leader because he is the only one who anyone has ever heard of.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

With regards to The Kingdom, I've always thought that Taven was going to bring in a couple of guys from the New England scene. The thing is, when you look at that scene, what are the best options out there, that aren't on the ROH roster already? It's a small list, and some might not have been possible (Chris Dickinson, for instance, if ROH still views him in an unfavorable light after the whole Kimber Lee thing).
FanSinceHDNet

Post by FanSinceHDNet »

DXvsNWO1994 wrote:With regards to The Kingdom, I've always thought that Taven was going to bring in a couple of guys from the New England scene. The thing is, when you look at that scene, what are the best options out there, that aren't on the ROH roster already? It's a small list, and some might not have been possible (Chris Dickinson, for instance, if ROH still views him in an unfavorable light after the whole Kimber Lee thing).
I seek both yours and BRM's points and agree with both. With that being said, TK O'Ryan looks like a bona-fide, main-event star down the line much in the same way Adam Cole did when he first came in. Don't want to put the cart before the horse and there have been hundreds before him but he's got a great look, handsome guy. I don't know how he wrestles but he's the first guy since Lio Rush that has come with a major pedigree that looks like a star.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

I was satisfied with The Kingdom debut. Taven looked good coming back from that terrible injury. Glad to see them pick up the win over Bullet Club. TK O'Ryan definitely going to be someone to watch.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

Great TV stuff the last two weeks. We had solid matches (the two trios tournament's one and the TV Title), Team CMLL performarces were great, Lee & Taylor looking like the next big thing in the tag division, the end of the Cabinet, the split of The Addiction & Kamaitachi, Cabana turning heel, more matches for Final Battle...

I really like the Cabana-Castle story. Some people say is too soon, but they haven't been an historical tag team, ROH put them together for winning gold and Cabana wasn't confortable with that. Three months of matches, one title shoot and a turn. I like how it worked.

Silas challenging Liger and Lethal doing the same with Cody is something I like too. Both should win their matches, and that matches should be cool. Both wrestlers are importants right now, but none of them is in a big storyline so having them fighting two well renoun wrestlers is a great choice. If Cody wins we riot haha, I don't want he to stay for a long time in ROH.

The Motor City Machine Guns stuff in this week's episode was great! The interview talking about changing the buiseness and how they want to win some gold after being the underdogs all this time is great. Will be interesting to see how it works and if the could have a rivalry with Bullet Club.

The Kingdom looked much better in this match than they did in the first round. Crowd was hot. TK O'Ryan was the one who worked the most and he really impressed me, he has a bright future. Also, it seems like, after the botch with Bullet Club, they've changed their finisher. They do the triple powebomb but without the springboard thing.

Plus, one little thing, they are doing great talking about the VOD shows. They always forget about them but finally everything has changed. Great move ROH.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

Pretty good show this week. I thought Young vs. O'Reilly was solid. Even though Young lost, he called a good match in the ring and came out not losing anything as his promo afterwards was excellent and pulled you right into his impending match with HOFer Liger.
Cabana turning on Castle was okay. Castle doesn't need this and it's just another random Delirious turn.
Agree with AlexROH about The Kingdom looking much better this week. Taven looks great considering how bad that injury was. TK O'Ryan is green but I think he is going to be a future star. Great pick to be placed in The Kingdom. As young as he is, he is light years ahead of some guys who have been in the business a lot longer.
Overall I have no complaints with the shows the past few weeks. Build to Final Battle has been unusually satisfactory for my standards. I hope this continues.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

The main event between The Briscoes and The Addiction told a good story. I wish some TV main events had this much time allotted to allow for the psychology to develop like it did in this match. The commercials didn't hinder the viewing. All in all this round of TV tapings were quite good and did it was supposed to do in building for Final Battle.
Quick note. Interesting how ACH was bumped in Final Battle for Lio Rush. It was announced that Nigel would allow Rush to participate. So long ACH.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

I'm going to need to power through the episodes from Baltimore over the next day or two. Obviously need to do that before Friday.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

DXvsNWO1994 wrote:I'm going to need to power through the episodes from Baltimore over the next day or two. Obviously need to do that before Friday.
I recommend them. Some of the better shows that I have seen in awhile. Congrats on your new Mod status.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

. Having caught up on the three episodes I missed, the match quality overall was fine I would say the best match was certainly Fish vs Page despite a rather quiet/subdued crowd I thought the match had a very good story all the way through and both looked good. Page also looks to be really getting in shape which will help him no end.

. The ending moments involving O'Reilly, Cole and Lethal felt like a really good moment and for me created the idea of a strong main event scene.

. I enjoyed the segment involving the MCMG or at least the attempt, more like this should be done/used especially for those who may not get a lot of match time on TV constantly.

. I like turn of Cabana but it really should have come so much later. Castle and Cabana were really starting to build chemistry and connection with the crowd and making this turn even say at Final Battle or at the 16th Anniversary would have made this mean so much more. Despite that it was done well overall and I'm sure it will be a good match at Final Battle it also adds a new dimension to Cabana which will be interesting to see develop.

. The match involving the Kingdom was fine it shows all the guys need time and a certified feud to really help them but I think that will obviously come. The music/entrance just needs to change, considering the energy the group contain I think enhancing that feel would be a better idea. The finisher is also still awkward you are asking 2 guys to high back bump which in some maneuvers is meant to be painful, it just creates a very weird dynamic to believe in, I would just go with the tri-fecta of moves of the Pump Handle, Swanton and Frog Plash as their finish it would make more sense and add more pace and energy to the end of their matches.
Big Red Machine

Mr. Mojo Risin wrote:
DXvsNWO1994 wrote:I'm going to need to power through the episodes from Baltimore over the next day or two. Obviously need to do that before Friday.
I recommend them. Some of the better shows that I have seen in awhile. Congrats on your new Mod status.
Seconded. I haven't seen this weekend's yet, but the last two have felt much more "back on track" towards a more serious product with better booking and less bullsh*t of all sorts.
FanSinceHDNet

Post by FanSinceHDNet »

Big Red Machine wrote:
Mr. Mojo Risin wrote:
Seconded. I haven't seen this weekend's yet, but the last two have felt much more "back on track" towards a more serious product with better booking and less bullsh*t of all sorts.
They've been doing more with interviews, voiced over packages, and promos lately. It's complimented the in Ring action, well.
Big Red Machine

FanSinceHDNet wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:
Mr. Mojo Risin wrote:
They've been doing more with interviews, voiced over packages, and promos lately. It's complimented the in Ring action, well.
And cutting down on the Cheeseburger/Brutal Bob/Tim Hughes assortment of unnecessary characters as well.
Rich of Honor

Post by Rich of Honor »

I think the TV has really been great since the summer, albeit the blip of two consecutive weeks of Field of Honor stuff. I wonder if they air the Women of Honor special this weeks and then be able to include the first set of tapings for next week.

I have a bad feeling that we may see some retrospectives in the next few weeks.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

Rich of Honor wrote:I think the TV has really been great since the summer, albeit the blip of two consecutive weeks of Field of Honor stuff. I wonder if they air the Women of Honor special this weeks and then be able to include the first set of tapings for next week.

I really think that they'll show somre UK stuff and WOH in the next few weeks. Maybe they'll star with the tapings from Philly in december the 17th or 24th.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

sign gresham already ROH,come on.
Big Red Machine

AlexROH wrote:
Rich of Honor wrote:I think the TV has really been great since the summer, albeit the blip of two consecutive weeks of Field of Honor stuff. I wonder if they air the Women of Honor special this weeks and then be able to include the first set of tapings for next week.

I really think that they'll show somre UK stuff and WOH in the next few weeks. Maybe they'll star with the tapings from Philly in december the 17th or 24th.
Yeah. If you've got the matches on tape you might as well show the two TV Title changes on TV.