Weekly ROH TV Thread (on Sinclair Networks)

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
BurningHammer

Re: ROH on SBG Discussion Thread

Post by BurningHammer »

Personally I thought it was just an incredibly easy episode to watch, I don't think it was terrible, I have watched episodes, that have made me want to blow my brains out and the hour has felt like 3, this was quick an easy to manage and everything delivered to enough of a level for a TV episode that runs an hour.

I really don't see how you can say the pull apart from was flat, it wasn't Brock and Joe, but honestly what is, there are barely any pull apart's that would compare to that. I think considering both involved and how it went it was fine, I wouldn't have made it as wrestling as is it was and focused more on Daniels wanting to beat the piss out of him but I certainly didn't think it was flat, but if you are comparing it to Joe and Brock then it's going to come across as pretty blah.

With regards to Woods he has a long way to go, the match with Jay didn't really do one thing or another especially with the finish, if I were ROH and Woods himself I would look to tapes and booking of Naoki Sano, create more legitimacy with his background it's great saying all these things about him but if that doesn't translate in the ring even with a loss then he wont go anywhere. I think simple things like a change in ring gear will help, get him some boots and kick pads and make him look like a shooter wrestler he is meant to be.

Kenny winning was best choice for sure, if I were ROH I would look to Miz as a personality type for him, just make him market himself off his success on the Bachelor.
whippetface

Post by whippetface »

Mr. Mojo Risin wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:17 pm
whippetface wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:55 pm
Mr. Mojo Risin wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:57 am What a shit week. You can skip this week's episode and save 60 minutes of your life. The only good thing was the Kenny King win.

I usually just read this site and don't feel the need to comment, but I really wanted to reply to this post. I'd urge everyone to simply watch the show yourself and make up your own mind, as I personally thoroughly enjoyed it this week.

I was quite impressed by Coast to Coast and I think they'll do well. I also believe that with a bit of time, Josh Woods can be a truly big name in the company, especially if they keep putting him against guys like Jay Briscoe. The main event was really entertaining, but that's mainly because I love to hate BCB so much. He's a fantastic heel.
Do you work for the ROH front office or what? This past week's episode was fucking bad. But...if you think my critiquing of the latest episode was unfair, you should look up a few posts up and you'll see I liked last week's episode. That's indicative of the overall problem isn't it? Shitty, inconsistent booking that kills the overall flow of the weekly TV show.

The Young Bucks are treading water right now. So they have nothing for them to do and the best idea is to throw them in a 3 way with The Tempura Boyz and Coast 2 Coast? The finishing sequence was crap. It took way too long to set up.

If Josh Woods is going to be a big name in this company, its in serious trouble. Every time I see Woods the more I cringe. He is fucking awkward in the ring at times and has less upside than any previous TPT winner. He is going to look like a complete putz if they throw him in the ring with Kushida.

The episode was shit. The 4 way was decent only for the fact that the right guy won.

And the pull apart between Daniels and Cody was flat. Compare that to the Samoa Joe/Brock Lesnar pull apart from Raw a few weeks back and see the difference between two guys who legit look like they want to fuck each other up and two guys going through the motions.

I call it as I see it. I am fairly certain that most people who post here will agree with me about this past episode. If they don't I couldn't give a fuck. Catering to the company regardless of what they produce is fucking spineless. I could go on ad nauseam about the state of the product but there is no God damn point. If your intention was to undermine my opinion, well...all it did was make you look like another ROHBot.
What a hilariously defensive post. No, I don't work for ROH, and I also most definitely do not think that they can do no wrong.

My intention wasn't to undermine your opinion. Since you were presenting as a fact however, I wanted to offer an alternative as I believe plenty people would enjoy this episode.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

Yeah, okay. You call it defensive, I call it the state of the product. I broke it down as to why I thought it sucked and the previous episode was good. Instead of wasting your time calling me out, support your opinion with why you thought it was good instead of relying on generalities. Tell me why you think Josh Woods is the future with some fucking conviction and observations. Tell me what made the 4 way so great instead of falling back on the thin excuse of loving to hate the BCB. For a new guy, you got a lot nerve calling me out. I don't agree with The Dragon Saga most of the time, but at least he backs his shit up. You provide a neutered perspective on the whole thing and have zero credibility.
Last edited by Wilson on Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed namecalling
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

BurningHammer wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:02 am Personally I thought it was just an incredibly easy episode to watch, I don't think it was terrible, I have watched episodes, that have made me want to blow my brains out and the hour has felt like 3, this was quick an easy to manage and everything delivered to enough of a level for a TV episode that runs an hour.

I really don't see how you can say the pull apart from was flat, it wasn't Brock and Joe, but honestly what is, there are barely any pull apart's that would compare to that. I think considering both involved and how it went it was fine, I wouldn't have made it as wrestling as is it was and focused more on Daniels wanting to beat the piss out of him but I certainly didn't think it was flat, but if you are comparing it to Joe and Brock then it's going to come across as pretty blah.

With regards to Woods he has a long way to go, the match with Jay didn't really do one thing or another especially with the finish, if I were ROH and Woods himself I would look to tapes and booking of Naoki Sano, create more legitimacy with his background it's great saying all these things about him but if that doesn't translate in the ring even with a loss then he wont go anywhere. I think simple things like a change in ring gear will help, get him some boots and kick pads and make him look like a shooter wrestler he is meant to be.

Kenny winning was best choice for sure, if I were ROH I would look to Miz as a personality type for him, just make him market himself off his success on the Bachelor.
Now this is a retort I can respect.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

whippetface wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:55 pm
Mr. Mojo Risin wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:57 am What a shit week. You can skip this week's episode and save 60 minutes of your life. The only good thing was the Kenny King win.
I usually just read this site and don't feel the need to comment, but I really wanted to reply to this post. I'd urge everyone to simply watch the show yourself and make up your own mind, as I personally thoroughly enjoyed it this week.

I was quite impressed by Coast to Coast and I think they'll do well. I also believe that with a bit of time, Josh Woods can be a truly big name in the company, especially if they keep putting him against guys like Jay Briscoe. The main event was really entertaining, but that's mainly because I love to hate BCB so much. He's a fantastic heel.
Mr. Mojo Risin wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:53 pm Yeah, okay. You call it defensive, I call it the state of the product. I broke it down as to why I thought it sucked and the previous episode was good. Instead of wasting your time calling me out, support your opinion with why you thought it was good instead of relying on generalities. Tell me why you think Josh Woods is the future with some fucking conviction and observations. Tell me what made the 4 way so great instead of falling back on the thin excuse of loving to hate the BCB. For a new guy, you got a lot nerve calling me out. I don't agree with The Dragon Saga most of the time, but at least he backs his shit up. You provide a neutered perspective on the whole thing and have zero credibility.
Whoa, whoa, whoa—hold on. There was nothing wrong with what whippetface originally posted. That poster was just trying to spark some positivity into a thread (and probably a forum-wide symptom) of (well-earned) cynicism. I didn’t see any form of “calling out” or anything accusatory.

As someone pretty familiar with the SBG product, there’s not much appealing about that episode: The Young Bucks going through the dregs of the tag division, Coast 2 Coast and Tempura Boyz being placed in a spot that creative will never build upon, Josh Woods, who may have an upside but is currently a greener-than-usual project, and a main event four-way featuring one tag jobber and three midcard guys that the company has squandered, exhaling out any possible life that they may have had years ago. I haven’t seen the episode, but knowing the company, that all reads to be an emboldened act of their notorious time-filling. Hard to believe that anything from that episode will play any sort of vital factor in the future (which is a huge general problem within ROH). But, again, I haven’t seen it. It used to be that TV had at least one surprisingly great segment every episode, so maybe that’s the case with this too.

But none of that is to begrudge you finding enjoyment in an hour-long show with talent that is usually pretty good. A lot of people are overtly negative on the product because there are a lot of deep, bone-headed decisions being made from executives that seem to always restrain the trajectory of the company.

Anyway, hope to keep reading from you, whippetface. Welcome aboard.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

This week's episode was pretty good wrestling wise, but the finish of the main event was bullshit.

DALTON AND THE BOYS VS. C2C AND FLIP GORDON- Decent interaction with Castle and Gordon. Flip is showing off his flips. Castle pretends to show off his flip, but instead clubs Gordon with a forearm. Kind of a prickish move, but whatever. Colt Cabana says after the champions victory that it was a win for Dalton Castle. I would like to think of that as foreshadowing down the line, but not with this booker. It was too subtle. Castle going heel and beating the shit out of The Boys at some point when they lose the titles. I could see this happening.

Silas Young/Jay Lethal feud is highlighted next. Nice way for Young to keep his heat with the post-match beatdown of Lethal after his win at BITW. Except...when Young says we won't see Lethal for a long time due to his injuries. Uh, this just kills the credibility of this feud with the week later sighting of Jay Lethal at the NJPW show.

MATT TAVEN VS. ULTIMO GUERRERO- These two have good chemistry. I don't give a fuck what anyone thinks. Taven is a solid B wrestler in this promotion. His win made sense with his character. Taven is a good, solid heel who plays his role well. This match exhibits that.

MCMGs VS. WAR MACHINE- I was really looking forward to this match. MCMG have proven throughout their careers that they can have good matches with bigger guys. While Shelley and Sabin might be quite a few steps slower, they can still put together a good match. No different with this match either. It was good except for the finish. I will get to that in a second though. Good, consistent flow to this match. Colt Cabana mentions that Alex Shelley is always posing. I chuckled at that and it became a point of interest for the rest of the match. Cabana kept pointing it out too. But the finish fucking sucked and if the backstage talk is true, War Machine have every right to be pissed at how they are booked. First they lose to The Young Bucks and Best Friends, then the nostalgia act the MCMG's? Delirious must have no long term plans for War Machine. They have been booked like shit forever (excluding the PBK feud). The MCMG while are still good to watch, don't have the legs for a title reign at this point. Its booking decisions like this that drive me fucking batshit crazy.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

Mr. Mojo Risin wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:28 am This week's episode was pretty good wrestling wise, but the finish of the main event was bullshit.

DALTON AND THE BOYS VS. C2C AND FLIP GORDON- Decent interaction with Castle and Gordon. Flip is showing off his flips. Castle pretends to show off his flip, but instead clubs Gordon with a forearm. Kind of a prickish move, but whatever. Colt Cabana says after the champions victory that it was a win for Dalton Castle. I would like to think of that as foreshadowing down the line, but not with this booker. It was too subtle. Castle going heel and beating the shit out of The Boys at some point when they lose the titles. I could see this happening.

Silas Young/Jay Lethal feud is highlighted next. Nice way for Young to keep his heat with the post-match beatdown of Lethal after his win at BITW. Except...when Young says we won't see Lethal for a long time due to his injuries. Uh, this just kills the credibility of this feud with the week later sighting of Jay Lethal at the NJPW show.

MATT TAVEN VS. ULTIMO GUERRERO- These two have good chemistry. I don't give a fuck what anyone thinks. Taven is a solid B wrestler in this promotion. His win made sense with his character. Taven is a good, solid heel who plays his role well. This match exhibits that.

MCMGs VS. WAR MACHINE- I was really looking forward to this match. MCMG have proven throughout their careers that they can have good matches with bigger guys. While Shelley and Sabin might be quite a few steps slower, they can still put together a good match. No different with this match either. It was good except for the finish. I will get to that in a second though. Good, consistent flow to this match. Colt Cabana mentions that Alex Shelley is always posing. I chuckled at that and it became a point of interest for the rest of the match. Cabana kept pointing it out too. But the finish fucking sucked and if the backstage talk is true, War Machine have every right to be pissed at how they are booked. First they lose to The Young Bucks and Best Friends, then the nostalgia act the MCMG's? Delirious must have no long term plans for War Machine. They have been booked like shit forever (excluding the PBK feud). The MCMG while are still good to watch, don't have the legs for a title reign at this point. Its booking decisions like this that drive me fucking batshit crazy.
I wouldn't so much say that War Machine have been booked like sh*t so much as it is has been the division that has been booked like sh*t. War Machine have always been booked strongly, but Delirious failed to build up any real challengers for them despite many opportunities to do so, and completely failed at telling the story of their feud with the Briscoes (that they had never beaten them going into Global Wars).
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

Big Red Machine wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:46 am
Mr. Mojo Risin wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:28 am This week's episode was pretty good wrestling wise, but the finish of the main event was bullshit.

I wouldn't so much say that War Machine have been booked like sh*t so much as it is has been the division that has been booked like sh*t. War Machine have always been booked strongly, but Delirious failed to build up any real challengers for them despite many opportunities to do so, and completely failed at telling the story of their feud with the Briscoes (that they had never beaten them going into Global Wars).

Really? I don't know man. Their ROH tag title reign was forgettable. They lost their titles to The Addiction the day after Daniels and Kaz lost to Liger and fucking Cheeseburger. I liked their feuds with The Kingdom and the PBK. What else have they done? It's not them though. You're right that Delirious fucked up The Briscoes feud, but honestly what have they done of note in the past year and a half? If War Machine themselves are unhappy with their booking in ROH, I won't argue with them.
Big Red Machine

Mr. Mojo Risin wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:28 pm
Big Red Machine wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:46 am

Really? I don't know man. Their ROH tag title reign was forgettable. They lost their titles to The Addiction the day after Daniels and Kaz lost to Liger and fucking Cheeseburger. I liked their feuds with The Kingdom and the PBK. What else have they done? It's not them though. You're right that Delirious fucked up The Briscoes feud, but honestly what have they done of note in the past year and a half? If War Machine themselves are unhappy with their booking in ROH, I won't argue with them.
I guess I'm making a distinction between being booked "weakly" and being booked "poorly." They have been made to look extremely strong (don't forget that when they lost to Kaz and Daniels they had already defeated Okada and Gedo earlier in the tonight, won the next match in the feud by DQ, and only lost the blow-off because PBK interfered), but they haven't been given anything interesting to do aside from the PBK feud, and as a result, interest in them has dwindled.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

A few things let down this epsiode and most of it was really external to the wrestling, One was the commentary, it was so obviously dubbed in and even then there were mistakes and there was just a general lack of energy in it, both guys seem to really need a live crowd to fit into the product. The Second was Camera work, from backstage segments to just general ques it felt all off and shody and finally the crowd boy did they feel like they were sleeping through it all especially with the Tag Match this deserved more attention and general energy from the crowd.
Big Red Machine

BurningHammer wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:35 am A few things let down this epsiode and most of it was really external to the wrestling, One was the commentary, it was so obviously dubbed in and even then there were mistakes and there was just a general lack of energy in it, both guys seem to really need a live crowd to fit into the product. The Second was Camera work, from backstage segments to just general ques it felt all off and shody and finally the crowd boy did they feel like they were sleeping through it all especially with the Tag Match this deserved more attention and general energy from the crowd.
Why didn't this have live commentary?
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

Big Red Machine wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:44 am
BurningHammer wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:35 am A few things let down this epsiode and most of it was really external to the wrestling, One was the commentary, it was so obviously dubbed in and even then there were mistakes and there was just a general lack of energy in it, both guys seem to really need a live crowd to fit into the product. The Second was Camera work, from backstage segments to just general ques it felt all off and shody and finally the crowd boy did they feel like they were sleeping through it all especially with the Tag Match this deserved more attention and general energy from the crowd.
Bc Cabana wasn't in Lowell and they realised (I think) that BJ Whitmer isn't a great commentary partner for Ian. I prefer liver commentary, but I prefer Ian-Cabana to Ian-Whitmer too.
Big Red Machine

AlexROH wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:30 am
Big Red Machine wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:44 am
Bc Cabana wasn't in Lowell and they realised (I think) that BJ Whitmer isn't a great commentary partner for Ian. I prefer liver commentary, but I prefer Ian-Cabana to Ian-Whitmer too.
I think Ian/Whitmer is the best team they have.
King of Indy Style

Post by King of Indy Style »

Cody and Daniels' brawl to start the show was really good
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

This week starts with a Cody interview. Lowell just loves him and Cody eats it up. Typical Cody interview rubbing it in ROH/Sinclair's face that he is a free agent and world champion.

Jonathan Gresham vs. Punishment Martinez- I was looking forward to this match and it didn't disappoint. Gresham is a fucking technical wizard and tells a brilliant story in the ring. Punishment Martinez was really good in this as well. I would like to see these two wrestle again. Gresham eats the pin. Didn't like the post match brawl with Jay White though. White needed Gresham's help to dispose of Martinez. Lame and makes White look weak.

Tempura Boys vs. Cheeseburger/J. Diesel- After Gresham/Martinez you think I am gonna watch this? Fuck no. I fast forward this.

Bullet Club vs. The Briscoes/Bully Ray- Entertaining. I am always a fan of whenever Jay and Page lock up, as they always have good chemistry together. Ending was just to set up a Briscoes heel turn as they pummel security after a loss due to Marty Scrull interference.

With the Christopher Daniels heel turn and now this with The Briscoes, are the ROH faces turning heel to the universally cheered, although heels themselves, Bullet Club?
Big Red Machine

Does Delirious understand what a heel is? Why turn the Briscoes if you know no one is going to boo them?
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

Big Red Machine wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:57 am Does Delirious understand what a heel is? Why turn the Briscoes if you know no one is going to boo them?
Which makes all this shit even worse. Bullet Club won't get booed ever. Briscoes will get cheered as heels. Daniels and Kaz turn heels because the Lowell crowd cheers Cody. None of this shit makes sense and it's completely random. You think The Briscoes beating the shit out of security is an effective way of turning them heel? It's uninspired booking. Delirious has jumped the shark like 18 times already and each one is worse than the last. No direction whatsoever. You really want to turn The Briscoes heel? Have them murder The Young Bucks in the ring.
Big Red Machine

Mr. Mojo Risin wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:36 pm
Big Red Machine wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:57 am Does Delirious understand what a heel is? Why turn the Briscoes if you know no one is going to boo them?
Which makes all this shit even worse. Bullet Club won't get booed ever. Briscoes will get cheered as heels. Daniels and Kaz turn heels because the Lowell crowd cheers Cody. None of this shit makes sense and it's completely random. You think The Briscoes beating the shit out of security is an effective way of turning them heel?
Hey. It worked for the last group of guys they had beat up a bunch of security, didn't it?
Wait. No. Never mind. That failed miserably at getting Bullet Club booed, didn't it. But we can't expect Delirious to learn from his mistakes, because that would show something resembling competence, which is clearly too much to ask.
SweetDaddy

Post by SweetDaddy »

At least ROH used their top hands on the last show.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

Big Red Machine wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:37 am
Mr. Mojo Risin wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:36 pm
Which makes all this shit even worse. Bullet Club won't get booed ever. Briscoes will get cheered as heels. Daniels and Kaz turn heels because the Lowell crowd cheers Cody. None of this shit makes sense and it's completely random. You think The Briscoes beating the shit out of security is an effective way of turning them heel?
Hey. It worked for the last group of guys they had beat up a bunch of security, didn't it?
Wait. No. Never mind. That failed miserably at getting Bullet Club booed, didn't it. But we can't expect Delirious to learn from his mistakes, because that would show something resembling competence, which is clearly too much to ask.
I know man. Some of this shit is so unnecessary. Some of these storylines have been regurgitated 3 or 4 times already.