Weekly ROH TV Thread (on Sinclair Networks)

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Braggis

Re: ROH on SBG Discussion Thread

Post by Braggis »

ROH TV 3/2/14 Show

Finally a new episode. Not gonna lie, I was worried for a minute as the intro started.

Michael Elgin vs Raymond Rowe. Solid opener. I have high hopes for Rowe. But Elgin needs a Manager again or something. All this time hes been given to sell himself and hes just fucking bland and awful on the mic.

Speaking of awful on the mic, Steve Corino continues to be shockingly overwhelmed and lost doing commentary. Its to the point where he flatlines and even Kevin can't help him. Luckily Nigel comes out for the save.

Jay Briscoe vs Michael Bennett. Solid match. I really love the idea of Cole and Bennett teaming. Both have similar enough characters. I think Cole/Bennett/Maria makes WAY more sense than Cole running with an out-of-shape, has-been. I hope they keep this.

AJ Styles vs Jay Lethal. Kind of a strange match. I really like Lethal but Styles I can do without.
JSP

Post by JSP »

Glad to know I'm not the only one who didn't get much out of Lethal/Styles. I LOVED the match with Roddy so I was really, really disappointed by this match. They got the crowd into it so it wasn't a lost cause.
Mattxx87
Banned
Banned

Post by Mattxx87 »

You didn't get the message from the announcers that they were fighting for a ROH Championship match at a later show? That's what they kept pushing and pushing throughout the match. The story was simple, AJ came back to win the title, and he was going through whoever he needed to to get a shot. He was trying to kill Lethal. Wasn't about entertainment, was about a man on a mission. Watch it again with that in mind. I assume they push the same agenda during Hero/Styles. If love to see Styles go heel/dick mode before the NJPW shows
jordidebaas

Post by jordidebaas »

Was it for a title shot?
I was in the front line when we battled page 15
Mattxx87
Banned
Banned

Post by Mattxx87 »

Unofficially. Commentary made it clear it was for consideration of one. Which means it was, for a future date.
felkerpat

Post by felkerpat »

I just re-watched the Styles vs. Lethal match and I think it was good but not what I was expecting. Going into it I assumed it would be a little more fast paced and high flying but it was a slow paced with some nasty hits. It seems like the kind of match that would be great to see live but doesn't translate quite as well onto TV but overall I enjoyed it.
Saying a wrestler isn't good because they're not in WWE is like saying a musician isn't good because they're not in Nickelback - Chuck Taylor
Braggis

Post by Braggis »

3/9/14 Episode

Did anybody else's TV black out at the beginning of the Young/Taven match? My screen went black when they were on the mat but the station logo was still on the screen. It seemed like he might have been cussing the crowd, but they never censored it like that before.

Young/Taven. Good match but Truth Martini was fucking TERRIBLE on commentary. I usually like him so maybe it was just an off night but he dragged it down a little. And I wish Taven didn't change his finisher to a Frog Splash. The Climax was a cool finisher. Hell... The Climax and Scarlett's booty are the two most over things about his Title run.

Ciampa/Hanson. It was strange how Scarlett didn't even react to Ciampa, considering he almost decapitated her at Final Battle. It would have been a nice touch if she would have at least flinched at him or her voice trembled when she announced his name.

Cole/Hero. The match itself was good but the real star is how Hero and Cole worked the crowd. Although I don't like how Cole is being booked as a weak pussy instead of a solid, dominant Heel who is every bit as good as he says he is. Tapping out, and hes already been beaten by Jay Briscoe.
Dwide Schrude

Post by Dwide Schrude »

Looking forward to seeing the Hanson tv title shot (I see people are already reviewing it but I watch Thursday on the site). Got to see Hanson live a few times in CT indy's and he's a welcome addition. Matt Striker put him over at an RWE show.
felkerpat

Post by felkerpat »

I really enjoyed Hero vs. Cole but what was the audience doing to distract Cole? It sounded like they were gargling at him
Saying a wrestler isn't good because they're not in WWE is like saying a musician isn't good because they're not in Nickelback - Chuck Taylor
Marketh.

Post by Marketh. »

felkerpat wrote:I really enjoyed Hero vs. Cole but what was the audience doing to distract Cole? It sounded like they were gargling at him
Cole was doing the typical "AAARGH" after 2-counts, so they were mocking him. I loved it. I hope it follows Cole to every city throughout this reign.
Last Real Man Hype
felkerpat

Post by felkerpat »

Marketh. wrote:
felkerpat wrote:I really enjoyed Hero vs. Cole but what was the audience doing to distract Cole? It sounded like they were gargling at him
Cole was doing the typical "AAARGH" after 2-counts, so they were mocking him. I loved it. I hope it follows Cole to every city throughout this reign.
That is amazing, it better follow him from city to city
Braggis

Post by Braggis »

3/16/14 ROH TV

Wow, what an awesome show. Of course there are some whiny bitches (two on this forum off the top of my head) who will complain there was too much talking but its necessary to building storyline. Especially going into SCOH.

Rowe and Hanson vs Team Benchmark. Great match. The little guy (forget his name) bumped like a boss. And its a smart move teaming Rowe and Hanson with Elgin as a pack of beasts. I look forward to seeing how that plays out.

Kevin Steen vs Homicide. An ok match. I don't get why Homicide is considered such a big deal though. Hes tiny and slow, and he continues that clown mask shit thats not over. But if it builds to Steen vs Kingston, I'm all for it.

The match signing of Cole/Briscoe Ladder War at SCOH was fun. I'm glad Cole and Bennett/Maria is a group now. Good stuff.

Ciampa vs Lethal. Good match, even if it started a little slow. I think its fucking hilarious how Taven and Truth keep inadvertantly costing Lethal the TV Title. It proves you can have comedy in wrestling without being retarded about it.

Great show.
Robareid

Post by Robareid »

Pretty good episode of TV.

Team Benchmark vs. Hanson & Rowe *3/4
Decent showcase of their new beast team. I like the new three way alliance.

Kevin Steen vs. Homicide *1/2
An okay match, but I liked the angle advancement. I'm hesitantly looking forward to the brawl between Steen & Compton vs. Outlaw Inc.

The Ladder War announcement was pretty good, without being anything special. Should be a good match, and as somebody who isn't into Briscoe as much as most, I'm happy to see that this feud has an end in sight.

Jay Lethal vs. Tommaso Ciampa ***1/2
Very good TV main event and title defense. Marred a bit by too much emphasis on Taven & Truth, but still a great match to watch.
lariat_tubman

Post by lariat_tubman »

ROH 3/22/14

The Decade def. Adrenaline RUSH & Andrew Everett - good match, I like the advancement of The Decade's gimmick a lot.

RD Evans def. The Romantic Touch- what you would expect, this week's TV is worth watching just Evans's outfit alone

Cedric Alexander def. Adam Page - a nice showcase for both guys, plus an Alexander/Strong feud is something I can definitely get behind

Briscoe Brothers def. Cole and Bennett - Very good match, Mark Briscoe is the MVP with the blockbuster off the apron, a nasty looking dropkick to the outside, and getting speared through a table. I like that Jay pinned Cole too, adds intrigue to their SCOH ladder war!

Overall a good episode of ROH TV!
The Dragon Saga

Post by The Dragon Saga »

lariat_tubman

Post by lariat_tubman »

The Dragon Saga wrote:Image
ROH does a lot of table spots but that one in particular...I don't know what it is about it specifically, it's just awesome
dudelove

Post by dudelove »

lariat_tubman wrote:ROH 3/22/14

The Decade def. Adrenaline RUSH & Andrew Everett - good match, I like the advancement of The Decade's gimmick a lot.

RD Evans def. The Romantic Touch- what you would expect, this week's TV is worth watching just Evans's outfit alone

Cedric Alexander def. Adam Page - a nice showcase for both guys, plus an Alexander/Strong feud is something I can definitely get behind

Briscoe Brothers def. Cole and Bennett - Very good match, Mark Briscoe is the MVP with the blockbuster off the apron, a nasty looking dropkick to the outside, and getting speared through a table. I like that Jay pinned Cole too, adds intrigue to their SCOH ladder war!

Overall a good episode of ROH TV!
I thought this was a very good episode of ROH TV. They've really hit their stride, in my opinion, on episodic story-telling with the ROH TV show. I did feel like I had deja vu watching Briscoes vs Cole/Bennett, however. It finally hit me that I had not seen this match already, but it sure felt like it after seeing Briscoes vs Cole/Bennett live in Dayton for "Flying High." The Bennett/Mark table spot leaving Jay to beat Cole cleanly in the ring was pretty much the exact same finish for Dayton, as I recall. I hope they don't bother showing it on ROH TV because the matches were very similar, although good. Finally, I really like the Cole/Bennett/Maria pairing. It's almost starting to feel like Hardy is an after thought and they don't mention him very much anymore on commentary. I thought maybe he was done with the company until I saw him booked for Wrestlemania weekend.
lariat_tubman

Post by lariat_tubman »

reDRagon vs. Brutal Burgers - kind of what you would expect from this kind of match but I enjoyed it for what it was. I liked the booking of Cheeseburger as eager but too weak to really get an offense in and Evans as the tough veteran though.

AJ Styles vs. Michael Elgin - disappointing, I never really got into this match, it just never got to the level one would expect. The ending was okay I thought, it gives both men a reason to go after Cole plus it was a 30 minute match not a 15 minute one so we got a lot of action before it all went down.

OK episode overall
Robareid

Post by Robareid »

Adrenaline RUSH & Everett vs. The Decade **3/4
Decent match, but didn't really have much flow, and the crowd were really quiet for it.

Romantic Touch vs. RD Evans *
And the tradition of babyface rapists in ROH continues...

Adam Page vs. Cedric Alexander **
I forgot until the very end that this was before Page joined the Decade as their young boy. Foreshadowed it quite well here.

Bennett & Cole vs. The Briscoes ***1/2
Tale of the Tape said the Briscoes are the same height. I've always thought Jay was taller for some reason. Very good TV main event. Don't see why Cole had to be the one to take the pin in this one though.
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

This week's episode has Cole/Strong from Milwaukee and Bucks/reDRagon from Chicago.

Definitely a good idea. Showcase one or two matches from a weekend, that way there's still incentive to buy the DVD's of the whole shows.