Weekly ROH TV Thread (on Sinclair Networks)

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
kovs27

Re: Weekly ROH TV Thread (on Sinclair Networks)

Post by kovs27 »

Strong episode this week. The battle royal was fun and I was happy to see two guys who are earning more get to have a match later on down the line. Good for LSG and Joe Keys.

Primal Fear seem like they should be larger for the type of gimmick they have. With that said they held their own against STP and had a pretty good match. These six man tags have really highlighted Moses and Kaun which is something they need since Shane is already established.

Woods and Silas told a great story throughout. Silas always having an answer for what Josh threw at him really played into the story they are telling between the former teacher and student. I almost bit on a couple of the false finishes which is excellent for a tv match. Hopefully the story of Josh overcoming his teacher stays as strong as it felt in this match.
NewROHFan2020

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

I’m watching it right now. Ian asks “Is Dutch even signed to Ring of Honor?” This is the dumb stuff I hate. Anyone with a handful of brain cells knows he is. We’re just lead to believe that he was able to bypass security and COVID protocols to attack another wrestler? Don’t insult our intelligence with crap.
NewROHFan2020

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

Earlier, Quinn had the “week off” to “recover from her match”, but here she is interviewing STP later in the episode.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

NewROHFan2020 wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 10:07 am I’m watching it right now. Ian asks “Is Dutch even signed to Ring of Honor?” This is the dumb stuff I hate. Anyone with a handful of brain cells knows he is. We’re just lead to believe that he was able to bypass security and COVID protocols to attack another wrestler? Don’t insult our intelligence with crap.
relax.
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

I really liked Rocky and Yehi. The push to get the win before the time limit really worked for them and made for an exciting ending. The tag title match was good but did everyone on the show have to pretend it wasn't painfully obvious Vinny was behind attacking Taven. At least let the announcers allude to it throughout the show since it was the same ankle Vinny and Bateman initially injured.
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

Keys and LSG had a very good match. I think this was the best Keys has looked so far. I love the teasing of Lethal vs. Homicide. I hope we are getting that match at Best in the World.
NewROHFan2020

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

Quinn McKay been wearing the same shirt for all these backstage “post match” interviews for like the last 4 episodes or so.
indyfan

Post by indyfan »

I loved the 8 man this week. Homicide looked great in this. In fact, everyone looked great. Violence Umlimited looked badass.
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

This weekend is main evented by Josh Woods and Silas Young in a Pure Rules match. Also on the show is Rey Horus vs. Flamita in a SOTF qualifier.

June 12th is when Dragon Lee gets his rematch for the TV title and another SOTF qualifier yet to be announced.
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

Excellent show this week. Bateman and Bandido told a simple but smart story of trying to slow down the faster athlete rather than just hitting big move after big move. The main event was tremendous. I loved the finish. Dragon Lee knew he could beat Deppen since he has already and letting Deppen beat Hot Sauce gets him the one on one match on a bigger stage. This also frees up Williams for the tag match against Homicide and Dickinson that has been teased.

With Bandido winning we now have him, Flamita, Isom, Johnson and Dickinson in the finals with one spot left. The only guy who isn't involved in another story as of right now is Isom. They couldn't be giving him a title shot at the PPV, right? I could see a B show title shot but not a top event. Bandido seems like the obvious choice but his issue with Flamita shouldn't be over yet.
Lynx

Post by Lynx »

Yeah, Dickinson easily slots into tag team match so Bandido is the favourite. I guess he can return to his feud against Flamita after he loses his title challenge.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

I think elevating Week By Week to a more permanent B-show status solves a big problem for ROH and ROH TV.

Prior to the pandemic the TV show had essentially become what Week by Week is now -- a glorified highlight/recap/preview show with the occasional exclusive match.

I believe the main reason the TV show went in this direction is that the majority of ROH TV audience wasn't following the touring events very closely. As time went along those events became the main chunk of ROH's content and most people were just watching the TV show casually. Meanwhile, the hardcore fans that do follow the touring events were getting spoiled on the TV results weeks ahead of time. So they decided to essentially turn the TV show into an overall recap show, and consequently there wasn't a whole lot of reason to watch it if you also watched the Honor Club shows. But that was a better compromise than the vast majority of your audience missing out on the vast majority of your content.

With this new format they can go back to producing original content on television and not worry about your casual audience being confused by not following the Honor Club shows because they have Week By Week to catch them up.

Now the trick is to get the TV audience to watch Week By Week. The ad on this week's TV episode was a good start. We don't know what the Honor Club viewership is for Week By Week but we have to assume the bigger chunk of it is on Youtube, and the show seems to go in almost a sine wave pattern. Bumps up to the 40K range for a bit, drops down to the 10-15K range for a bit, every once in a great while pops a much bigger number, then back down again.
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

Another solid show this week. I know roll ups winning Pure Division matches should be expected but it felt like Gresham and Yehi were just getting going when the finish took place. I'd love to see these two go 30 minutes. The Fight on the Farm was fun. A couple crazy spots, which one would expect from Mark Briscoe. The match accomplished it's purpose of getting the team back together and you'd expect them to be right in the thick on the hunt for the tag titles.