Weekly ROH TV Thread (on Sinclair Networks)

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
famicommander

Re: Weekly ROH TV Thread (on Sinclair Networks)

Post by famicommander »

Chrisvegas27 wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:46 am It's a new japan axs t.v. kinda format
No, it's worse.

Because if you subscribe to NJPW World, there's absolutely nothing on the AXS TV show that you can't see on NJPW World.

But with this format, if you watch every Honor Club show you're going to get about 80% of what's on the TV show. So you have to sift through that 80% just to get the remaining 20% that you didn't see.

They need to either make it 100% recycled content or 100% new content. This mixture crap is terrible for anybody who actually follows the product.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

This was always going to be the case if they were going to make the TV tapings love to viewers. You can create 100% recyclable content if you are making it available. I actually think this better than the AXS as one it’s up to date and they actually add more content.

The best thing is don’t watch the taping live then everything will feel fresh. I think it certainly helps more with creating content leading up to a PPV or House Show, they certainly need to work on match choice on which are edit which are full.

I would maybe have only the last hour of the TV taping live and create more original content instead of using house material.

This is basically the old ECW television format that was pretty good, it might be an idea to change things up so you have a more edit or mix of house show content episode the week before the PPV while everything else is either full match or fresher content.

I think this version has more legs and gives much more to you in back story etc than it has done previously
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Again, if it's still a mashup of new and recycled content, I'm just going to drop it.

As long as they're making the tapings available to me live, unedited, without commercials I'm going to watch them. I'm not going to skip them just so I can watch edited down versions of those matches with knee brace and overactive bladder commercials breaking up the action.

This is a horrible format. Even worse than the old format where TV was way out of date and the Honor Club shows kept spoiling it (or vice versa).
indyfan

Post by indyfan »

I just dont watch the tv show. I just watch the honor club stuff. Its easier to follow
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

I know I have given commentary a lot of shit over the years but I think, especially Ian, things are really starting to click, there has been more focus on the idea of play by play recently, which will always help any match and the story laid into them has had history and detail. I still think there needs to less reaction at times and just let the wrestlers, crowd tell the story but things are really improving. Overall I much prefer Ian and Caprice than Cabbana in there.

I thought both Ian and Quinn were set up well in their roles this episode and Ian being in a Tie instead of the bow tie actually makes a world of difference. I like that Quinn wasn't used in every segment she really doesn't have to be, her personality and skill will always shine through as she is that good.

The editing still felt too quick at times and didn't let the previous moment breath enough, just go back to Ian and Quinn briefly to layout what is going to happen next, shooting from one avenue about someone to then someone completely different just feels cluncky and awkward. I realise there is only an hour to get everything in but you have ability to show less footage from say Summer Supercard or another house show, use up that space with more story telling of the persona's

I would certainly try and use two full matches especially if they are good, I would have loved to have seen the Willaims and Taylor match in full. Speaking of Taylor he delivered another excellent promo I'm not too sure about the end of it and what that leads too but the guy is really getting into his role and delivering, keep this up and his transition from Bully Ray stable mate wont linger too long.

Finally, having a promo from LifeBlood made all the difference for me, we need more from them, link them together create that bond and this may actually get over the way you want it too.

The video for the build towards next weeks match as nice, there is actually starting to be thought into these things especially with music, although it still needs a lot of work it's things like this that need to be built upon.

Klein and the Alure moment was fine it did it's job and continued on in the back which made a lot of sense.

The main event was excellent, again Taven has delivered and is now in a possition of having more very good matches than many in wrestling right now and is being labelled as awful. The match has been cut short due to the drunk guy thing and you can def tell the crowd get very sidetracked but both guys did really well to get the crowd back and for each not to be distracted. Shelley looked the best he has in years and I hope he can come back again and find a place within ROH, I am certainly a Taven guy and have no problem with that.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

Way behind on my viewing, but I watched the Rhett Titus sit down and where the​ hell has this guy been for the last 5 years? It really added some relatable depth and flaws that made you want to pull for the guy. Why can't they push this instead of the whole cliched body builder thing?
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Editing is still an issue on the latest episode, they need to find better periods in matches to join and run through, the last thing you should do is introduce a match at a moment when they are fucking up a spot. Why are we getting segments for ROH merch just use the adverts for it, it just takes time away from the show that needs to be used to it's fullest.

Promo's overall were good, that was probably the best Bouncers promo and the Vinny one worked well, he knows how to deliver his personality, although I would try and enahce it all just a little. Either way him on his own, away from the Kingdom is a much better use of him and makes way more sense. Gresham is trying to find that inner heel but it's going to take time in promo work. Jay as always delivers the ultimate Babyface style promo, he knows how and when to see it.

I liked how they defined the relationship difference in LifeBlood compared to Jay and Gresham although they could have found a more agressive way to do it with LifeBlood, just felt rather placed. The graphics for the difference were also kind of shoddy and needs work.

Thought they showed the CMLL guys well, although the full match would probably have been better considering what hapened in the match.

The main event was excellent, even still after editing it down. The added dimension of the dissention between Lethal and Gresham worked nicely and it will be interesting to see where things land over the tour shows and they their matches will play out. This was probably the best Bandido has looked in ROH next to his matches with Taylor, I would really like to see a match with Lethal and Bandido, and Gresham and Bandido. Haskins always looks good and I think he will have a very bright future in ROH.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Totally pointless episode to sit through, almost entirely recycled.

"Go watch this match on youtube!"

but I'm watching the TV show right now.

"Go watch this full match on Honor Club"

I already did.
Zhuge1

Post by Zhuge1 »

famicommander wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:30 pm Totally pointless episode to sit through, almost entirely recycled.

"Go watch this match on youtube!"

but I'm watching the TV show right now.

"Go watch this full match on Honor Club"

I already did.
Yeah I really hate this new format. It reminds me of the old WWF Jakked show -- about half the show is recaps or segments with Ian and Quinn talking about upcoming events with a few backstage segments (which are often not that good) thrown in. Then, you get about 30 minutes of wrestling which may be one or two matches.

This most recent episode featured the champions versus all-stars didn't even feature the ring entrances. And the segment with Kenny King and C2C was confusing because it seemed to imply there was going to be a match shown between Ali and Rhett TItus, but... it then segued into the main event shortly after.

I can understand criticisms of the old format being behind given that they would record 4 episodes at a time, but at least the viewer got more than 1-2 matches with those episodes. Given that the brand has struggled recently with selling seats at shows, I'm not confident this new format is a great way to potentially draw in new prospective fans.
alexsmellzzz

Post by alexsmellzzz »

New format is just all recycled matches from other shows, right? I haven't watched in a few weeks because I haven't heard anything. Kind of glad, honestly. The old show did have exclusive matches but only 1 or 2 every month were actually worth watching. There's so much good wrestling out there, it's hard to justify spending an hour watching ROH tv. And now that it's not exclusive stuff, I mean, there's literally NO reason to watch this.
Zhuge1

Post by Zhuge1 »

alexsmellzzz wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:42 am New format is just all recycled matches from other shows, right? I haven't watched in a few weeks because I haven't heard anything. Kind of glad, honestly. The old show did have exclusive matches but only 1 or 2 every month were actually worth watching. There's so much good wrestling out there, it's hard to justify spending an hour watching ROH tv. And now that it's not exclusive stuff, I mean, there's literally NO reason to watch this.
At least the last two weeks have literally been a half hour of recaps, highlights, and backstage segments/interviews followed by 30 minutes of actual wrestling. If you have Honor Club, it's not worth the time. If you don't have Honor Club... it's barely worth the time. I don't see how it will attract new fans either to be honest. I much prefer seeing an hour of actual wrestling.
Lynx

Post by Lynx »

Last episode has Titus/Ali singles match that I don't remember seeing on live shows, was it a dark match?

Anyway, Titus got that decent interview few weeks ago after King trash talked him and now is facing C2C guy. And King wants to help C2C. This all looks very convenient, are they building towards Titus/King match, likely, at Final Battle? I actually like this.
Zhuge1

Post by Zhuge1 »

I like the fact that they are doing something with Titus. Hopefully it will result in the reformation of ANX which is probably the best use of both he and King. I haven't even watched this week's episode yet. I've been so disappointed with the new format, it's not typically high on my watch list anymore.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

So there's a match I haven't already seen on this week's episode then?

Could they maybe warn us ahead of time so I know whether or not to bother?

This format sucks.
Zhuge1

Post by Zhuge1 »

So, this week the main event is Jay Lethal vs, PJ Black in the tournament. And just before the main event, they show the updated brackets showing that Lethal won the match.... The exclusive match featured Coast 2 Coast against Silas Young and Josh Woods. There seems to be no consistency with Woods. He was seemingly making a heel turn and in this match was acting like the goofy protege of Silas -- sort of a comical tag team combination.
alexsmellzzz

Post by alexsmellzzz »

On the latest episode, the one with Joe Hendry vs Dom Kubrick as the opener, there's a Taven talking segment in the ring. I can GUARANTEE you that ROH altered the audio on this. The crowd was booing heavily and they edited it and managed to actually make it seem like the crowd was listening. Taven push is still the most forced thing ROH has done in the last year or two.

They SHOULD have juiced up the audio on the main event, though. Crowd sounded dead on there. Shows you what ROH cares about.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

So roh put angelina love on the main event defending the belt that she lost 15 days ago..

Damn roh.
Zhuge1

Post by Zhuge1 »

Two weeks ago, the weekly episode featured the match between Alex Shelley and Jonathan Gresham. That took up pretty much the entire first half of the episode and it was fantastic. The main event was Rush defending against Silas Young (which was another solid match). There was maybe 10 minutes of garbage in between. Overall, it was a huge improvement.

Then this past weekend was back to the normal mess. I think the only full match was PCO and Marty Scurll which was okay, but not that great There were tons of clips and recaps and backstage interview nonsense.

The Shelley/Gresham and Rush/Young episode had given me hope they were actively working on the program, but I guess it was merely an outlier from the norm.

When other non-WWE organizations (AEW, MLW, NWA) have worked to put out good television (or Internet-based) content over the past few months, it's a shame that a wrestling organization owned by a media company can't get it together and put out something reasonably entertaining.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

NWA put their tag belts on 70 year old men. The last thing any other promotion needs to do is look at their example.
alexsmellzzz

Post by alexsmellzzz »

famicommander wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:08 am NWA put their tag belts on 70 year old men. The last thing any other promotion needs to do is look at their example.
NWA’s tv show is 10000x better than what ROH is doing. It’s not even close. ROH barely puts forth any effort and expects fans to care. That NWA show is original, interesting, and is doing certain things that no other weekly wrestling show is doing.

I kinda get your point here, but I mean, ROH is signing old guys just as much as anybody else. Dan Maff is apparently signed. That guy was maybe the least interesting “free agent” in all of wrestling.