Weekly ROH TV Thread (on Sinclair Networks)

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Big Red Machine

Re: ROH on SBG Discussion Thread

Post by Big Red Machine »

famicommander wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:35 am Taven is way better than Miz in the ring. He just hasn't cut the fiery, scathing, epic promos that Miz does about once per year.
I'd actually take Miz over Taven in ROH right now. Miz is a better promo and would bring a slightly different style to ROH. He could do really well in the old Mike Bennett role of the one guy on the show who gets heat for being "not what ROH is supposed to be," with his WWE in-ring style and dog and pony show finishes. I really haven't been in to Taven at all since he left the House of Truth.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

Taven is the most underrated guy on the roster. Nice to see a guy that can effortlessly draw heat for being a heel. I think this match with Cody might be better than people think​.
Big Red Machine

Mr. Mojo Risin wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:07 pm Taven is the most underrated guy on the roster. Nice to see a guy that can effortlessly draw heat for being a heel. I think this match with Cody might be better than people think​.
Which is exactly what people said about Cody vs. Suzuki, Cody vs. Sanada, Cody vs. Dalton, Cody vs. KUSHIDA, etc.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

My comparison of Taven to Miz wasn't meant to be a slight to either person. They both have ceilings and play similar roles. Someone like Taven, at this point, would be best served as a midcard gatekeeper for upcoming talents. Say, like antagonizing Flip Gordon or Jonathan Gresham. If I didn't know Cody or the Bullet Club were pushing ROH business as much as they are, I would see this program as a sort of de-push for Cody. It's just not exciting.
Big Red Machine wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:38 pm I really haven't been in to Taven at all since he left the House of Truth.
Which has been the vast majority of his ROH career. Man. Taven has a lot of charisma, and should just be doing a lot better on a weekly TV show. (See, Taven in Beyond: https://youtu.be/YsSVCygglb8?t=1m9s) His promos during physical rehabilitation in 2016 made it seem like he would break out as a heel, but the new Kingdom has been doing few favors any of those guys. (Sidebar, the ineffectiveness of the Kingdom has really hurt the direction of the Six-Man Titles. Feels like a belt without an anchor.)
Big Red Machine

Wilson wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:39 pm My comparison of Taven to Miz wasn't meant to be a slight to either person. They both have ceilings and play similar roles. Someone like Taven, at this point, would be best served as a midcard gatekeeper for upcoming talents. Say, like antagonizing Flip Gordon or Jonathan Gresham. If I didn't know Cody or the Bullet Club were pushing ROH business as much as they are, I would see this program as a sort of de-push for Cody. It's just not exciting.
Big Red Machine wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:38 pm I really haven't been in to Taven at all since he left the House of Truth.
Which has been the vast majority of his ROH career. Man. Taven has a lot of charisma, and should just be doing a lot better on a weekly TV show. (See, Taven in Beyond: https://youtu.be/YsSVCygglb8?t=1m9s) His promos during physical rehabilitation in 2016 made it seem like he would break out as a heel, but the new Kingdom has been doing few favors any of those guys. (Sidebar, the ineffectiveness of the Kingdom has really hurt the direction of the Six-Man Titles. Feels like a belt without an anchor.)
Hasn't done them favors? It's the whole reason Marseglia and O'Ryan have regular paychecks coming.
I agree with your assessment about what Taven's role should be, but I think the six-man bets would have felt that way no matter what because it was a division totally full of what felt like thrown-together teams with no attempts at any sort of story. The titles were directionless not because they didn't have an anchor they could always default back to a la the Briscoes in the tag division, but because of the incompetence of the booker. The TV Title has felt equally aimless for most of the past few years.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

The Six Man Titles are good on the Hung Bucks. I still want a Blue World Order reign, though. I love Stevie and Meanie. And Nova also exists.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

This week on ROH...a non-finish and 2 victories through cheating. Your thoughts BRM?
Big Red Machine

Mr. Mojo Risin wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:16 pm This week on ROH...a non-finish and 2 victories through cheating. Your thoughts BRM?
This post will be less dramatic than people are expecting because I don't know how to use the keys on the keyboard to draw an emoticon hanging itself.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

First time in awhile we had a main event where the champion and the challenger have been on the roster for 3 or so years. Good job by both guys. I appreciated the story they told. Castle threw aside his crowd pleasing antics for a fight. Punishment Martinez was a great opponent. All business and laser focused. Castle relied more on his amateur wrestling background than usual to gain an advantage when he could. I thought the pin by Castle was perfectly thought out and didn't hurt either guy.

I'm hoping these are going to be the type of matches we can expect out of Castle. A face winning straight up without any bullshit finishes.
King of Indy Style

Post by King of Indy Style »

Mr. Mojo Risin wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:29 pm First time in awhile we had a main event where the champion and the challenger have been on the roster for 3 or so years. Good job by both guys. I appreciated the story they told. Castle threw aside his crowd pleasing antics for a fight. Punishment Martinez was a great opponent. All business and laser focused. Castle relied more on his amateur wrestling background than usual to gain an advantage when he could. I thought the pin by Castle was perfectly thought out and didn't hurt either guy.

I'm hoping these are going to be the type of matches we can expect out of Castle. A face winning straight up without any bullshit finishes.
Couldn't agree more. Castle doesn't have to be like Jay Lethal, where every title defense is a definitive win. Just eeking out the win against someone like Martinez leaves the door open on a second title match.
alexsmellzzz

Post by alexsmellzzz »

Meh, that Punishment/Castle match kinda sucked. Maybe the booking made sense, but idk, just wasn't enjoyable to me. Punishment had a cool dive. Idk, I don't really like Castle as champion at all. Feels like the belt is on him like 2 years too late. He has a great character but I just don't want to watch him in competitive matches. The 6 mans he does with lots of comedy seem more natural to him.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

Great match by Dalton and Martínez. Castle worked like your usual Ric Flair classic match with big men. He put over Martínez and made him look stronger and, at the same time, he show the world that, as a world champ, he can win in so many different ways -> ***3/4
alexsmellzzz

Post by alexsmellzzz »

This week's episode was better than usual

Best Friends vs Briscoes - **
Building to Briscoes/MCMG this Friday.

Adam Page vs Christopher Daniels - **1/2
Surprising result in this one. These two are involved in the 6 man coming up on Friday. Page looked great here, as per the norm. He looked great last night at Manhattan Mayhem also. I won't be surprised when he's the MVP of the match at 16th Anniversary.

Dalton Castle/Jay Lethal vs Marty Scurll/Punishment - ***1/2
This was great. A throwback to old Center Stage matches. They each did a ton of great character stuff and the "unlikely partners" theme was nice, it allowed for some interesting work between the guys. Lethal trying to do Castle's poses at one point was hilarious. I guess this match tells us that on Friday, Lethal/Castle is face vs face and Scurll/Martinez is heel vs heel.

I thought this was a good go-home show. There's usually a filler match or two on these tv's, but I think everything on this episode was atleast worth watching. Plus, it hyped up the ppv nicely. We got a video package to close the show with everybody doing a little bit, similar to an old ECW promo package at the end of one of their tvs. Check this one out, especially if you're going to watch the ppv on Friday.
alexsmellzzz

Post by alexsmellzzz »

I really liked Lethal vs Caprice this week. Caprice was fired up and actually put up a fight against Lethal, I thought it was great. And the three way main event was pretty good too, with lots of stuff going on in that match. Both matches worth watching.

The tag gauntlet on next week's episode was a pretty interesting episode to watch live. Not sure how it'll come across on tv. At one point, Beer City Bruiser had a slip-up, so I'm guessing that'll get edited out. But it WAS during the finish to one of the falls. If it's edited out, will have to be some sneaky editing.
alexsmellzzz

Re: Weekly ROH TV Thread (on Sinclair Networks)

Post by alexsmellzzz »

ROH TV review 4/29/18

I'll go ahead and watch this week's episode and talk about it here. This week's episode from Stage AE in Pittsburgh. Ian Riccaboni and BJ Whitmer on commentary. We start off with a video package and stills of the NOLA show. I thought this was great, it really summarized the whole show pretty nicely and didn't take too long to do it, either. Just showed the major happenings, bringing everybody up to speed.

We start off with Chuck Taylor vs Josh Woods. Coming up later is Flip Gordon vs Silas Young for the TV title.

Chuck Taylor vs Josh Woods
Chuck dominating early, showing off with some moves and holds. But right before the commercial, Woods catches Taylor in mid-air and hits him with an exploder. We come back from break and Woods hits a release german on Chuck. Both of them trade moves for a while. Woods gets a nearfall. And then hits a rolling German with a bridge for another nearfall. Woods gets an armbar but Chuckie T rolls him up for the 3! Inoffensive, but a crappy finish. Neither guy looked very spectacular. Chuck looked bored, Woods looked green. 1/2*

Cody and Brandy with a promo. And Kingdom with a promo. Kingdom showing off the 6 man titles, which are really cool looking.

Stella Grey vs Sumie Sakai
Fiesty action early on with some hair pulling. Sumie hits a BIG missile dropkick. And then a Northern Lights suplex for a 2 count. Stella catches Sumie with a spear! Nice. This is already better than the first match. Good action so far. Stella hits a tornado DDT out of the corner. Sumie with a saito suplex, 2 count. Sumie hits smash mouth for the 3. That didn't go for very long, maybe not even 5 minutes but some really great action. I looked up Stella, I haven't seen her before, I don't think. She's an ROH Dojo graduate. Really good performance from her and Sumie looked good as usual. I like when these matches have some urgency. Like the Mayu Iwatani one from a few weeks ago, with Deonna I think? Women of Honor quietly having some really good matches here. Too bad the PPV final wasn't so great. They'll end up doing something great on one of the bigger shows eventually. This one was short and sweet and I liked it. ***

Jenny Rose comes out and talks to Sumie. They'll have a match soon.

So Cal Uncensored promo talking to the Kingdom.

Clips of Marty winning his shot at Masters of the Craft. Marty promo talking about wanting his shot at Best in the World. Should be a good one with how over Marty is right now.

Video package talking about Bully Ray/Cheeseburger shenanigans.

Now Bully's out here cutting a promo, talking about Cheeseburger. This seems like filler, with Bully Ray playing heel but just for no reason really. Idk what's going on, if Bully's just doing these spots so he can get paid for doing each show, or what. But these segments are really boring. He thinks he's getting over saying heel stuff to the crowd, there's no point. He just leaves the ring when he's done. Ok.

A cool ROH video package talking about the "ROH Experience" airs, with clips of all the old ROH guys. I think this airs at the start of the Honor Club shows. A lot of new video package stuff this week, which is nice.

TV Title
Silas Young (c) vs Flip Gordon
Shane Taylor out here on guest commentary. They talk about the battle royal where Flip won this shot, last eliminating Shane. This is another big shot for Flip, a tv main event after he just had a main event on Friday night's Bound by Honor show. Fancy intros for this one and a tale of the tape. Silas hits Flip with a clothesline causing Flip to flip right before we head to commercial. We come back, Silas still in control. This match isn't bad, just boring right now as Silas just laying on Flip here. Flip finally gets a comeback, hits a springboard dropkick and then another dropkick that sends Silas into the corner. There's a sweet spot as Flip hits a move to the outside right as they were going to commercial. Ian says the producers are holding off on the break for now. Awesome touch here, makes you think Flip's comeback could be leading to a pin. Flip back inside, hits a standing SSP!!! But it's a two count!!! Ok, now time for the commercial. We're back, Flip is fired up. Silas hits him with a snap German. Flip still fired up!! Silas with two big slams!! And only a two for Silas. They counter each other's stuff for a minute, Flip hits a falcon arrow!!!! Only two!!! The crowd really wanted that to be 3. Hot main event here. Silas to the outside to escape danger, but Flip brings him back in. Silas kicks the rope on Flip's way back in, nut shot, inside cradle, but only a 2 for Silas. Both guys back up, Silas has him in fireman's carry, hits Misery and that's 3. Fun match there. I didn't think it'd top the women's match but it got really good towards the end. Kinda reminded me of that really good ACH/Lethal 30 minute draw they did on tv forever ago, but didn't quite get to those levels. ***1/2

In 2 weeks, we get Bucks vs Briscoes. Next week though we get Dalton and the Boys vs The Kingdom. Feels like I've seen that match a ton of times. Not 100% sure I'll be watching that one. This week was worth watching, though. Atleast the last two matches were, for sure.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Having taken a break from wrestling (Final Battle did me in, it pissed me off way much more than it should have) for a while I obviously haven't watched any TV this year. I felt the desire for wrestling kick in again and so went 'All In' and watched all of the epsiodes from after final battle to last weeks.

Overall I felt like it's been one of the best wrestling hours that you can get, matches have upped in their quality, stories are more direct (giving PPV's a stronger feel) and haven't really stopped or halted midway through like so many have done in Delirious' time as booker. Talent seems to have much clearer roles and stronger versions of their personalities, everyone is taking their 'shot' by the likes of it and that has been missing from ROH for a while really.

Notables have been Cody, Taven, Martinez, Coleman, they have all come into their own on TV and taken themselves to another level, Cody especially, he seems to have learnt so much from not having the title

One thing I didn't like recently was how they ended the tag match of the Briscoes and The Bucks and then there was nothing done about it in the new week, that really should have been addressed no matter what other matches were planned.

Side not, my love of sinclair broadcasting adverts has taken hold, from how random to straight up right wing they are they can really make me laugh. My favourite has to be the TECH Glasses and seeing the magical Eagle, it just cracks me up writting about it.
Last edited by BurningHammer on Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

BurningHammer wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:17 am Having taken a break from wrestling (Final Battle did me in, it pissed me off way much more than it should have) for a while I obviously haven't watched any TV this year. I felt the desire for wrestling kick in again and so went 'All In' and watched all of the epsiodes from after final battle to last weeks.

Overall I felt like it's been one of the best wrestling hours that you can get, matches have upped in their quality, stories are clearer, more direct (giving PPV's a stronger feel) and haven't really stopped or halted midway through like so many have done in Delirious' time as booker. Talent seems to have much clearer roles and stronger versions of their personalities, everyone is taking their 'shot' by the likes of it and that has been missing from ROH for a while really.

Notables have been Cody, Taven, Martinez, Coleman, they have all come into their own on TV and taken themselves to another level, Cody especially he seems to have learnt so much from not having the title

One thing i did not like recently was how they ended the tag match of the Briscoes and The Bucks and there was nothing don't about it the new week, that really should have been addressed not matter what other matches were planned.

Side not, my love of sinclair broadcasting adverts has taken hold, from how random to straight up right wing they are they can really make me laugh. My favourite has to be the TECH Glasses and seeing the magical Eagle, it just cracks me up writting about it.
Pretty much agree with all of this, including the right wing advertising.

I liked The Briscoes/Young Bucks angle, but you are correct, where was the follow up? It was a really good segment, with The Briscoes just fucking annihilating everyone out there, but they needed to keep it hot and they missed a step.

Agree about Cody. More enjoyable to watch at everything...after he lost the title.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Mr. Mojo Risin wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:01 pm
BurningHammer wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:17 am Having taken a break from wrestling (Final Battle did me in, it pissed me off way much more than it should have) for a while I obviously haven't watched any TV this year. I felt the desire for wrestling kick in again and so went 'All In' and watched all of the epsiodes from after final battle to last weeks.

Overall I felt like it's been one of the best wrestling hours that you can get, matches have upped in their quality, stories are clearer, more direct (giving PPV's a stronger feel) and haven't really stopped or halted midway through like so many have done in Delirious' time as booker. Talent seems to have much clearer roles and stronger versions of their personalities, everyone is taking their 'shot' by the likes of it and that has been missing from ROH for a while really.

Notables have been Cody, Taven, Martinez, Coleman, they have all come into their own on TV and taken themselves to another level, Cody especially he seems to have learnt so much from not having the title

One thing i did not like recently was how they ended the tag match of the Briscoes and The Bucks and there was nothing don't about it the new week, that really should have been addressed not matter what other matches were planned.

I liked The Briscoes/Young Bucks angle, but you are correct, where was the follow up? It was a really good segment, with The Briscoes just fucking annihilating everyone out there, but they needed to keep it hot and they missed a step.

Agree about Cody. More enjoyable to watch at everything...after he lost the title.
Yeah they did miss such an easy lay up, especially when Bullet Club as a whole group os meant to be so strong and dominent, to have nothing for the next week seemed so week and unlike what such a group would do. With regards to the Briscoes this is probably my favourite incarnation of them for a while, they should have been like this for years.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

Aries vs. Young was really good despite the Dusty finish. The aftermath with Aries was entertaining and the crowd chanting "You Deserve It!" at Todd Sinclair was funny.

With this match and the Sami Callahan promo, it leads me to believe the interaction with Impact is not over with.

Curious to see what people thought of this match.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

BurningHammer wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:35 am
Mr. Mojo Risin wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:01 pm

Yeah they did miss such an easy lay up, especially when Bullet Club as a whole group os meant to be so strong and dominent, to have nothing for the next week seemed so week and unlike what such a group would do. With regards to the Briscoes this is probably my favourite incarnation of them for a while, they should have been like this for years.
Briscoes' heel run has been awesome so far. Great character work and always strong matches with both regular roh teams and international dúos. Also the fact that they are main eventing shows is great for the tag división and the Titles.