Weekly ROH TV Thread (on Sinclair Networks)

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Big Red Machine

Re: ROH on SBG Discussion Thread

Post by Big Red Machine »

Wilson wrote:Roddy appears in ring gear at one of the egress corridors, when Bobby announces his presence near a service door, also in gear. (One has to infer that this was minutes before the title match.) Bobby mostly provides that, no matter what, Strong and Fish will wrestle again in America where he will get the better of Strong. I probably could recite more if I were not so nonplussed during the promo. I mean, this was months late and their program is now expired, but this is like an archaeological finding—it’s the missing link!

Information like that is best presented during the original broadcast and with commentary summarizing the event during the match. I suppose neither were possibilities for the Honor Rising shows.
They were absolutely possibilities. I'm not an expert at this, but it can't possibly be that hard to edit this short video into the Honor Rising VOD/DVD can it?
Northwoods_Nightmare

Post by Northwoods_Nightmare »

Kenny Omega is a weirdo, and you just have to accept that as good of a wrestler as he is you're also going to have to put up with his corny, childish, and eye-roll inducing antics.
I thought after he left DDT and joined NJPW we would see a more serious side of him, especially winning the Jr Title right away. But alas, we were immediately subjected to him sticking flagpoles up Taguchi's butt and I lost all hope for serious Kenny Omega.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

Northwoods_Nightmare wrote:Kenny Omega is a weirdo, and you just have to accept that as good of a wrestler as he is you're also going to have to put up with his corny, childish, and eye-roll inducing antics.
I thought after he left DDT and joined NJPW we would see a more serious side of him, especially winning the Jr Title right away. But alas, we were immediately subjected to him sticking flagpoles up Taguchi's butt and I lost all hope for serious Kenny Omega.
Yeah, same here. I just wonder if the over the top shit is going to hurt him as a main event guy in NJPW.
STITCHES

Post by STITCHES »

It might. If I watch any Omega contest in NJPW without my glasses on, it just makes me think there's English dubbed anime on TV. :lol:
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

I've seen people praising the Colt Cabana promo that aired this week, but I though it was kinda cringeworthy and Tommy Dreameresque.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Burnside wrote:I've seen people praising the Colt Cabana promo that aired this week, but I though it was kinda cringeworthy and Tommy Dreameresque.
Wow. You weren't kidding. Colt "Dreamers up" within seconds of that segment. He just sort of shouted about being an independent wrestler and put himself over and guilted the crowd into siding with him. With Lethal's promo contrasted to his and his rather unremarkable pop, Colt did not come across great.

The segments round Japan were not very strong this week, even to this travelogue fan. Martini and Lethal had a tasteless exchange about happy endings in the middle of the show. It made me think a lot less of those two, ROH, and SBG. (That's not even to say how dissident and disrespectful it is to the great Japanese rock 'n' roll band, Happy End!)

And there was also a decent main event. I'm now pretty bummed that we never saw Jay Briscoe and Karl Anderson in singles.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

Wilson wrote: The segments round Japan were not very strong this week, even to this travelogue fan. Martini and Lethal had a tasteless exchange about happy endings in the middle of the show. It made me think a lot less of those two, ROH, and SBG. (That's not even to say how dissident and disrespectful it is to the great Japanese rock 'n' roll band, Happy End!)

And there was also a decent main event. I'm now pretty bummed that we never saw Jay Briscoe and Karl Anderson in singles.
Totally agree with you on the Japanese segment with Martini and Lethal. It sounded like these two were a couple of high schoolers. Dumb.

Am I the only one who caught onto Tiger Hattori having a sense of humor? He seemed to be amazed at Honma having a title. So much so, he made a point to tell Honma's teammates to look and tell him he wasn't seeing things.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

Global Wars preview week.

Kevin Kelly officially sets the Cole angle up by informing us that no one has seen or heard from him since his loss to O'Reilly at SOH. This angle sucks, but could've benefited from a backstage vignette from Cole immediately after the match explaining his mindset.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

Flashback main event made me nostalgic. Gabe and Prazak on commentary. Punk and Cabana. Fuck, I miss those days.
Credit where credit is due, they did a great job highlighting Cabana as an important figure in ROH history for viewers not familiar with him.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

Mr. Mojo Risin wrote:Global Wars preview week.

Kevin Kelly officially sets the Cole angle up by informing us that no one has seen or heard from him since his loss to O'Reilly at SOH. This angle sucks, but could've benefited from a backstage vignette from Cole immediately after the match explaining his mindset.
Or even just footage of someone trying to get an interview with him after that match but instead he just grabs his bag and storms out of the building.
WHG

Post by WHG »

Big Red Machine wrote:
Mr. Mojo Risin wrote:Global Wars preview week.

Or even just footage of someone trying to get an interview with him after that match but instead he just grabs his bag and storms out of the building.
My issue with all of this is that they've tried this same thing (or variations of it) so many times and it's never really worked. They literally did what you suggested with Taven after Field of Honor '14...tried it with Elgin when he had his issues a few months later...and kind of did it with Cole when he was injured. This pseudo reality bullshit never works.

My problem with it is that it's so unclear whether Cole is a heel or face right now...and it looks more like confusion than shades of gray. I mean, they teased a face-turn and then reveal him to be the heel-iest of heels...then Taven kicks him out of the Kingdom and he's looking kind of face-ish again just months later.

I solidly believe he's getting the title back soon, but have no fucking idea how they're trying to get him there.

If I see another red mask with this, though, they can fuck off.
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

They should use of this talk recently and have Cole comeback shooting on New Japan
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Here's an excellent tidbit from the super duper Lethal florilegium extravaganza:

"When we return, we will show you what happened when champion met champion on this special look at Ring of Honor World Champion, Jay Lethal." Immediately proceeded by the very familiar, "LISTEN UP, WRESTLING FANS!" Sometimes you outdo yourselves, ROH.

It is very disappointing to be reminded of how much momentum Lethal had going into his reign as champion, especially with two great contenders in O'Reilly and Strong at the cusp of main eventing. I thought for sure this would be the strongest reign since Nigel. *Sigh*

Also, in their new releases roll, the Bullet Club Adam Cole shirt is listed at $35, or $10 higher than the median shirt price. Is ROH actually babyfacing the Bullet Club? Whatever their deal is, I think this is very poor tact.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

Totally agree with you, Wilson. That was the exact same thing I felt watching this Jay Lethal retrospective. What a fucking waste. Going in with how Lethal was booked on the strength of his TV title reign and the victory over Briscoe, this did have the potential to measure up to being the best champ since Nigel. Not even close. After watching this I was reminded again of how shitty Delirious has been booking ROH.
adduvall84

Post by adduvall84 »

Was the weekly show on this past weekend ? My DVR didn't record it.....
Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/adduvall1984
Vanilla Gorilla

Post by Vanilla Gorilla »

adduvall84 wrote:Was the weekly show on this past weekend ? My DVR didn't record it.....
I got a "Best of Bullet Club" episode last week.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

This week's episode was pretty good. Rush/ACH was shockingly decent. Silas Young knows how to get heat easily. The 3 way tag team match was okay I guess. I love RPG. Vice but they were just kind of thrown in there. The 6 man was good, I just wish Yatsu had more offense. I like watching The Young Bucks against Elgin because they totally sell his power moves better than anybody. Taven on commentary was adequate. They did an outstanding job with the highlight packages this week. Then to close the show Kevin Kelly announces, "Next week the match everyone has been waiting for Donovan Dijak versus Jay Lethal!" Ugh.
STITCHES

Post by STITCHES »

Ha! Yeah, man. How do they know? Was there a poll?
Thelone

Post by Thelone »

Remember that it's notorious body mark Kevin Kelly telling you that.
http://thelone.be/ => My site, which means a bunch of random stuff really.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

Another thought about this week's episode is The Young Bucks seem to be rubbing salt in the wound by poking fun at Kevin Kelly for superkicking him. Kelly is fucking terrible at selling being outraged.