Weekly ROH TV Thread (on Sinclair Networks)

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
JTCole

Re: ROH on SBG Discussion Thread

Post by JTCole »

The crowd cheering Cole more didn't help O'Reilly's cause at all.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

JTCole wrote:The crowd cheering Cole more didn't help O'Reilly's cause at all.
No it didn't. As matter of fact, Lethal and Fish were cheered more than O'Reilly. Not good.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

If the triple threat for the World Title is what was designed months prior then the booking for Kyle has been shockingly contrary to babyface behavior, reading as greedy, opportunistic, and entitled.

Like many other modern wrestlers in a similar position, Kyle most likely won’t be supported for long as the central babyface contender or defending champion without a strong promo; maybe ROH recognizes this. His booking the past few months have been bewildering, as if he were being primed to turn heel in the near future, though I wonder what those ramifications would have. Either Lethal or Cole would have to turn face, if not both, and ROH would then be without a rising babyface contender.

Or perhaps all of Kyle’s booking dilemmas can be solved if one were to assume that ROH does not have a firm grasp of how to accentuate a wrestler’s strengths as well as veil their weaknesses.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

And the Alexander/Gresham program is so good that it deserves its own post.

(Ah, shoot, while I’m at it: I also like the current booking of Jay Briscoe and Michael Elgin. It’s a rather utilitarian booking of two of ROH’s bigger stars, which has become rare.

Other than the uncertain air of the main event, 14YA seems to be building itself quite nicely.)
Thelone

Post by Thelone »

Turning O'Reilly would make no sense for the reasons you said, they just need to stop pushing him as this underdog babyface and make him a (near) silent badass (sounds familiar, isn't it ?). O'Reilly being screwed over and over isn't building sympathy towards him (as in "I wanna see him vanquished the bad guy"), it's killing any kind of heat he had when he turned face last year. If they keep going in that direction, he'll become the new Elgin and they'll have no one else to blame but themselves.
http://thelone.be/ => My site, which means a bunch of random stuff really.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Silent face characters are typically booked strong from the start. They missed their window for Kyle to be a credible singles grappler last year. In fact, he has, to my knowledge, no significant singles victories in the company.

I think Kyle has a lot of charisma and character, however he is just too weak of a promo to sustain a successful ‘chase’ period (like Elgin and Tyler and Strong). Of course turning him during the next few months (much less the 14YA PPV) would be very reckless and ill-timed. I still feel that Kyle is the right person to be the next figurehead of the company, even as a face, but one has to think that he would be much better for a having a heel singles run.

I think booking ROH is too difficult and involving (and too convenient) to blame only management/creative, but, yes, Kyle’s booking since ASE has left a lot to be desired. It would be really unfair if his singles opportunity never took flight.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

I don't even want to see O'Reilly sniff the world title after this match. Keep the title on Lethal for awhile longer, then give it back to Cole. Look how he carries himself compared to O'Reilly. He walks, talks, and wrestles like he's the world champion all the time. Cole is convincing whereas O'Reilly has been booked not to be.
jordidebaas

Post by jordidebaas »

The main thing I learned from this weekend's episode is that neither Kelly nor Corino has any idea what "trolling" means.
I can't really say I'm surprised though.
I was in the front line when we battled page 15
Thelone

Post by Thelone »

O'Reilly was always portrayed as the weak link of reDRagon (always eating the pin in losses and never winning anything important in singles) while Fish has been protected quite a lot. Frankly, they've done a much better job establishing Fish as a solid mid/uppercard guy than O'Reilly as... anything really. I mean, why are we supposed to buy O'Reilly as this big world title contender when he never beat anyone of note in his singles career ? That's right, we just don't.
http://thelone.be/ => My site, which means a bunch of random stuff really.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

Thelone wrote:O'Reilly was always portrayed as the weak link of reDRagon (always eating the pin in losses and never winning anything important in singles) while Fish has been protected quite a lot. Frankly, they've done a much better job establishing Fish as a solid mid/uppercard guy than O'Reilly as... anything really. I mean, why are we supposed to buy O'Reilly as this big world title contender when he never beat anyone of note in his singles career ? That's right, we just don't.
Agree with everything you said. Whether or not Fish beats Strong, he comes across light years better than O'Reilly. Look at Fish's promos. Whether Roddy is deliberately coming across as flustered or not on the mic, Fish just looks better in the same forum. He comes to the ring for his promos dressed in a suit, just like classic Four Horsemen era. I want to see Cole/Lethal because even though they've had virtually no time to develop a rivalry,they've made the most of what we've seen so far. Sorry to say O'Reilly is just an afterthought.
Sardonic Artery

Post by Sardonic Artery »

Mr. Mojo Risin wrote: Colby Corino took a nice beating. He sells well.
Agreed.
I am cosmetically pleasing.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

Shelley/Kaz was decent. I thoroughly enjoy the Addiction using old school heel tactics constantly. Sabin on commentary was amusing just for the fact he denied the very existence of Shelley.

Castle/Joey D. was okay. The aftermath is perplexing. Why is Silas Young so obsessed with The Boys? It's weird. Regardless, Young and Castle continue to make the most of this storyline with what they can.

Ortiz/LSG brought back a flashback. Kevin Kelly reminisces with Nigel about how he fought Morishima. Fuck, I miss those days.

ANX/War Machine did a good job advancing the feud. I like how the size of War Machine is factored in their matches. They come across as bad asses. Also, Burnside had mentioned that ANX need Truth Martini as a manager and he is correct. They already are on their way to being heels. Martini would be perfect for them.
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

Martini's never managed a team that's won the tag titles. I'm going to be so upset if that DOESN'T happen.
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

Is anybody less over than Frankie Kazarian?
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

Can someone please explain to be how Steve Corino used his phone to call Kevin Kelly's headset but we could also all hear what he was saying? Where was the sound coming out of? And how did he use a phone to call something that is not hooked up to any sort of phone?
The Dragon Saga

Post by The Dragon Saga »

Big Red Machine wrote:Can someone please explain to be how Steve Corino used his phone to call Kevin Kelly's headset but we could also all hear what he was saying? Where was the sound coming out of? And how did he use a phone to call something that is not hooked up to any sort of phone?
It's one of the many revolutionary production elements Ring of Honor has now brought to their product. They have head sets which double as phones!
DieHard

Post by DieHard »

Punisher Martinez looks impressive. Colby is a great seller. That last ride on the apron.. man [cornette]
MOOSE!
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

The Dragon Saga wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:Can someone please explain to be how Steve Corino used his phone to call Kevin Kelly's headset but we could also all hear what he was saying? Where was the sound coming out of? And how did he use a phone to call something that is not hooked up to any sort of phone?
It's one of the many revolutionary production elements Ring of Honor has now brought to their product. They have head sets which double as phones!
Then Kevin Kelly should be fired be being so unprofessional as to take a phone call while on the job! How dare he!
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Other than Dalton Castle, Lio Rush is the most roster-ready Top Prospect worker I have seen. He looked really great.

Yikes—Coleman/Ferrara/BCB/Young/Nana-commentating segment. Could’ve been much worse, I suppose.

Tim Hughes looks like he will become a fun lower card heel. I think he and Silas should be trading places on the card, with Silas being pushed up. Mark Briscoe really, really, really ought to have a singles run, especially now that he has gotten his finisher over. The crowd’s willing to accept him as an upper-card face. There just need to be a few tweaks.

Great main event to cap the show. Match quality aside, booking should have it that a television main event presents some stakes to lead in for a future show. Obviously babyface vs. babyface tag team match of ACH/Sydal vs. Young Bucks leaves no hook for next week.

As for commentary, Nigel was not enough to redeem Kevin Kelly. The latter had a very off night.
FanSinceHDNet

Post by FanSinceHDNet »

Wilson wrote:Other than Dalton Castle, Lio Rush is the most roster-ready Top Prospect worker I have seen. He looked really great.

Yikes—Coleman/Ferrara/BCB/Young/Nana-commentating segment. Could’ve been much worse, I suppose.

Tim Hughes looks like he will become a fun lower card heel. I think he and Silas should be trading places on the card, with Silas being pushed up. Mark Briscoe really, really, really ought to have a singles run, especially now that he has gotten his finisher over. The crowd’s willing to accept him as an upper-card face. There just need to be a few tweaks.

Great main event to cap the show. Match quality aside, booking should have it that a television main event presents some stakes to lead in for a future show. Obviously babyface vs. babyface tag team match of ACH/Sydal vs. Young Bucks leaves no hook for next week.

As for commentary, Nigel was not enough to redeem Kevin Kelly. The latter had a very off night.
I have been on the Tim Hughes bandwagon for quite some time. There is something really... odd and special about him. I like that everyone is seemingly in on the fact that he's borderline insane but him. He's not doing anything with an acknowledgement that it's a put on. Between this and in reading the Indianapolis review that was posted and the spoilers for TV, it looks like they trust him with the top guys. I think he could be the absolute perfect lower card heel and something that adds really nice depth for the show, much like his tag team partner Bob Evans.

If my calculations are correct, Mark Briscoe, until Atlanta, hadn't lost a singles match in about seven months. That's a pretty serious streak. Him and Roddy would be fun assuming Bobby Fish doesn't win the TV title. And hasn't Kelly mentioned that Mark Briscoe's dream is to become World TV champion on a few shows?