Weekly ROH TV Thread (on Sinclair Networks)

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
DBSommer

Re: ROH on SBG Discussion Thread

Post by DBSommer »

TYFDK wrote:I sure hope ROH puts up the older TV episodes again. I really want to watch the random Corino/Briscoe street fight from Pittsburgh from about 3 years ago.
Got to see that live. It was unexpectedly great. Watching Davey and Elgin go at it hard enough steam was rising off them was neat as well. And in thinking about it, that was also the card that had reDRagon team for the first time. In hindsight that was one of the more memorable cards I've attended.

Personally, I store the eps on a DVR then burn a copy of them on DVD to watch at my leisure. There is some loss of quality from the original, but it's worth it for the option to watch it whenever I want.
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

Once again, this week's episode is not on the website.
DBSommer

Post by DBSommer »

Burnside wrote:Once again, this week's episode is not on the website.
I never complimented you on your 'Mike Teney is Constipated' pic BTW. It always brings an amused smile to my face.

And to keep it on topic, while I appreciate the *idea* behind trying to push Coleman and Ferrra, it ain't working on any level. They really need to drop it and the whole Nana thing which, even by ROH standards, has dragged on way too long with no payoff.
jordidebaas

Post by jordidebaas »

Sucks that they didn't upload it yet :(
That did however give me the chance to see the screenplay at the end of the episode, where they gave everyone random nicknames, such as 'Greg "G-Money" Gilleland' and 'Mike "Z Gangsta" Zeoli'
I really don't know what to think of this, just figured I'd leave it here.
I was in the front line when we battled page 15
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

jordidebaas wrote:Sucks that they didn't upload it yet :(
That did however give me the chance to see the screenplay at the end of the episode, where they gave everyone random nicknames, such as 'Greg "G-Money" Gilleland' and 'Mike "Z Gangsta" Zeoli'
Hunter “Delirious” Johnston.

As a general member, the episodes have been airing on Fridays for the past month. I understand that streaming programming with a cable broadcasting deal makes for some rather invidious circumstances, but it would be nice if they would stick with a certain schedule for their weekly shows and for them to be just a bit closer to their original air date.

How are they hitting dates for Ringside Members? Has there been any attempt to post episodes on Monday again now that the DA is officially through?
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

DBSommer wrote:
I never complimented you on your 'Mike Teney is Constipated' pic BTW. It always brings an amused smile to my face.
"Are you working me, Ken? Are you working...the fans?"
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

Wilson wrote:
jordidebaas wrote:Sucks that they didn't upload it yet :(
Hunter “Delirious” Johnston.

As a general member, the episodes have been airing on Fridays for the past month. I understand that streaming programming with a cable broadcasting deal makes for some rather invidious circumstances, but it would be nice if they would stick with a certain schedule for their weekly shows and for them to be just a bit closer to their original air date.

How are they hitting dates for Ringside Members? Has there been any attempt to post episodes on Monday again now that the DA is officially through?
It's very sporadic and they've yet to really establish a pattern. The idea seemed to be that Ringside Members should once again get the show on Mondays now, but in practice it's been a mess. The 12/5 episode wasn't posted to the site at all until 12/14. However, the 12/12 episode was ALSO posted on 12/14.

Currently, if you log in as a Ringside Member, the episode that plays as the "Current" episode is the one from 12/19. However, if you go into the "Archives" you can access the one from 12/26 (the "best of" episode). If you don't log in AT ALL, the "Current" episode is the 12/26 one. The 1/2 episode is not available at all.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Sounds like a service that functions as advertised and is fully worth the monetary commitment.

I don’t expect for the Ringside Membership to be as robust as the services provided by NJPW or WWE, but they really ought to be offering more other than what’s currently available. Though, perhaps this is for the best for now due to their current challenge meeting their extant market; ROH neglecting or reneging on their services is inadmissible, especially considering their scope.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

After seeing Stevie Richards face Roddy, I couldn't believe the shape he was in. Considering he was having neck issues in WCW, I can't believe how well the DDP Yoga has worked out for him. He has to be in the best shape out of the old ECW guys.
For what it's worth, I thought Elgin/Dijak was decent.
Bobby Fish is underrated. We all know Roddy is weak on the mic and Fish carried that whole segment.
Heel Caprice Coleman is growing on me.
I saw Cedric Alexander getting upset a mile away.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

DBSommer wrote:

And to keep it on topic, while I appreciate the *idea* behind trying to push Coleman and Ferrra, it ain't working on any level. They really need to drop it and the whole Nana thing which, even by ROH standards, has dragged on way too long with no payoff.
I actually think it's working pretty well for Coleman.
lariat_tubman

Post by lariat_tubman »

SBG #224 1/2/16
Roderick Strong/Stevie Richards **½
Caprice Coleman/Will Ferrara (No DQ) ***
Cedric Alexander/Jonathan Gresham ***
Michael Elgin/Donovan Dijack ***½

I enjoyed this episode quite a bit. A strong showing for Coleman, a few surprises, and two big guys knocking each other around sounds like a solid show to me!
DBSommer

Post by DBSommer »

Big Red Machine wrote:
I actually think it's working pretty well for Coleman.
Crowds were dead during the segments back at the Cali and Dayton shows when Caprice was on the mic. Maybe it's starting to get over after all this time.
Leo C

Post by Leo C »

I don't think they had to have the spot with Veda distracting the ref during the Octopus if Cedric was going to lose in an upset to mini Cedric. A very fun episode overall, the No DQ match was better than I expected and Elgin/Dijak was pretty good too.
lariat_tubman

Post by lariat_tubman »

That "Philly Street Fight" was a ton of fun. That being said they have to stop having wrestlers hit their finishers on Maria Kanellis, it's a well they go to way too often and it's always uncomfortable.
jordidebaas

Post by jordidebaas »

lariat_tubman wrote:That "Philly Street Fight" was a ton of fun. That being said they have to stop having wrestlers hit their finishers on Maria Kanellis, it's a well they go to way too often and it's always uncomfortable.
Well, I don't think it's going to happen very often anymore
I was in the front line when we battled page 15
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

I liked this episode.

- I enjoyed Daniels' panic and horror at getting suspended. So few heels will show ass like that these days.

- Alex Shelley continues to mean absolutely nothing here.

- Mark Briscoe never has bad singles matches and certainly did not have one against Adam Page, who is probably the most under-pushed guy on the roster. Page should NOT turn face but I guess he's going to. Page and Whitmer are great midcard heels and it's such a shame they wasted their entire run on this STUPID feud with Corino. Corino sucks here as he always does.

- I loved Silas Young's genuine hurt feelings that The Boys turned on him after he let them sleep in his basement. Everybody involved in this angle is so much better than the angle itself.

- Philly crowd really elevated this show by going nuts for everything.

- Main event was a mess but it won me over. Again, rabid crowd helped a lot here. Kevin Kelly getting knocked out was a great moment but Corino was so exposed on his own. He is so terrible. I accept what has happened with the superkick as a move (look at what a DDT means now as opposed to what it meant in 1991) but Corino's shrieking is AWFUL. I could definitely have lived without the Meltzer Driver on Maria. This at least felt like an "important" match and clearly the end of the Kingdom era and also the farewell of the AJ/Bucks Bullet Club team that had a lot of great ROH matches in 2015. This was a curtain call for AJ Styles, who I did not expect to run in at the end.

- I'm worried about Adam Cole's physical durability. He and O'Reilly debuted in ROH together in 2010. O'Reilly looks almost exactly the same, whereas Cole is now chubby and has two bad arms. You can see him physically breaking down in a Shane Douglas-esque fashion and he's pretty much just working ROH and PWG, which is not a tough schedule.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

My thoughts on this week's main event:
As Kevin Kelly pointed out as the Kingdom made their entrance, the Kingdom is extremely banged up: Cole’s arm is hurt and Bennett has a broken rib (and also Taven’s leg, but he’s not in this match)… which means that we have this match where it is THE HEELS who are at a major disadvantage and valiantly fighting through injuries.
The Bucks jumps reDRagon from behind during their entrance, so I guess they are heels in ROH. Then they went up to the guy walking with a crutch because of his torn ACL and superkicked him. What a bunch of dicks.
Also, for completely no reason, they did a spot where Cole threw a superkick but the Bucks ducked it and Bobby Cruise took a bump. Later, they did the same spot with Kevin Kelly (Cary Silken eventually took over for him on commentary. He said two lines, both of which were essentially “in fourteen years, I had thought I’d seen it all).
Apparently a bunch of stuff was cut out of the middle of this match because we got a few minutes of action, then a commercial break, and when we came back from the commercial, there was sh*t like traffic cones and a shopping cart all over the place.
Cole tried to run away at the end but Kyle chased him so they brawled to the back together.
Bennett did a bunch of stuff a guy with a broken rib really shouldn’t be doing. Major props to him for going so all out on what he already knew would be his final night in the company. Maybe he just felt bad because ROH was too stupid to book him to lose cleanly (they got help from AJ).
It would have made perfect sense for Fish, who is clearly being positioned for a TV Title shot should have gotten the pin, the Young Bucks, who are not being built up for a tag title shot, went over because… um… #YoungBucks #SuckIt #SuperKickParty #2Sweet.

There was a lot of action here and it was fun to watch, and I’m sure others will rate it higher, but there came a point where I just turned on this match. There as so much pointless, stupid bullsh*t in here. The Bucks also did a f*cking moronic spot where they sat Bennett down in a chair and put a party hat on his head before going for a double superkick (so they could have a “superkick party”). Why the f*ck would you do comedy in the middle of the street fight?
Between that, the ring announcer and play-by-play man eating superkicks, the dude on crutches eating a superkick, Maria eating a Meltzer Driver, and Bennett being murdered by finisher spam at the hands of a faction that has been booked like babyfaces all year (with a run-in in an ROH main event by the guy who has been one of the top babyfaces) all in a street fight that had absolutely zero logical reason to be booked as a street fight, and which will ultimately wind up meaning absolutely nothing… this match was everything that is wrong with ROH right now. Sh*t happens just because with almost no thought put into how things need to be build up, totally random gimmicks, overbooking, and the wrong guys going over for absolutely no reason.
Delirious needs to sit the Bucks down and tell them that this isn’t PWG where you can do whatever stupid sh*t you want. Don’t bump managers, and don’t bump ringside personnel. If you want to bump a lackey like J. Diesel then that’s fine, but Maria, Truth Martini, Taeler Hendrix, Veda Scott, even Brutal Bob should not be getting bumped very often (and while he’s at it, he needs to tell the Addiction to cool it with the “heels screw up and bump each other” spots. There was only one in tonight’s match, but they’ve been doing WAY too much of it for guys who are supposed to be contenders for the tag titles).
ColourMeCurious

Post by ColourMeCurious »

I don't have to go out on a limb and suggest that Burnside did not send Steve Corino a Christmas card this year. :lol:

I like the guy on commentary. Do I think he gets too excited about a Superkick he has seen 20,000,000 times in his career? Of course. Didn't the guy win the ECW title with a Superkick? But I find him fun and the Street Fight was just chaos. Corino, to me, should be a heel manager. He always had promo skills and I don't ever buy his babyface act for a second. I always think there is some sort of swerve. He's a nice guy personally (Got his DVD in Philly and he was genuinely happy that I got it.), but as a character, he just is better as a heel.

I am with Burnside on Mark Briscoe. The guy never has a bad match and should be pushed more. How many more loses before fans see him as the Marty of The Briscoe's? He deserves more.

And I agree on Page and Whitmer. They are real heels in a land where everyone gets cheered, even if they are a heel. Why break them up?
Thelone

Post by Thelone »

Because #THERUB of working with Corino. You know, instead of building Page up when he was gaining some momentum after that feud with ACH in the summer.
http://thelone.be/ => My site, which means a bunch of random stuff really.
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

The worst thing about Corino is that I'm supposed to take it as a given that he is some sort of legend. If Steve Corino is a legend then the legend bar is really low. His career is in a range somewhere above CW Anderson but below Rhino.