Weekly ROH TV Thread (on Sinclair Networks)

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
supersonic

Re: ROH on SBG Discussion Thread

Post by supersonic »

The news for last night's ratings weren't good for pro wrestling.

Impact last night in the 9 p.m. time slot did 275,000 viewers, slightly up from 272,000 last week, but still the fourth lowest since the move to Wednesday. The midnight replay did 69,000 viewers. The show was the go-home show for Bound for Glory, headlined by Drew Galloway & Matt Hardy vs. Ethan Carter III & Tyrus.

ROH did 127,000 viewers for a show headlined by Shinsuke Nakamura vs.Adam Cole. It is the second lowest number for ROH since getting on Destination America.
lariat_tubman

Post by lariat_tubman »

I liked MCU Park as a TV venue. If the mic the audience better I could see them doing a (shorter) TV taping there next year.
trufreedom

Post by trufreedom »

lariat_tubman wrote:I liked MCU Park as a TV venue. If the mic the audience better I could see them doing a (shorter) TV taping there next year.
Ya, I thought it looked surprisingly good, mainly because the crowd looked huge... until you saw behind the hardcam.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

TNA's follow-up to Bound for Glory on Wednesday night produced its best ratings numbers since September 9th.

The beginning of the TNA title tournament did 335,000 viewers for the first-run Destination America episode and 112,000 for the replay. The replay was the second best replay number since the show moved to Wednesday at midnight.

Ring of Honor did 175,000 viewers for their Field of Honor episode from MCU Field in Brooklyn featuring a Kazuchika Okada vs. Roderick Strong main event. It was the company's best number ever in the 11 PM EST time slot.
Clusterfuck tournaments and Okada = #BestForBusiness
WHG

Post by WHG »

The details of the rating on Wednesday actually make it the single best-performing viewing of ROH TV on DA in any timeslot by most measures. The audience wasn't the highest (185,000 is the high water mark, but that was at 8pm), but it was the highest rated (.5) and had MUCH better demographics than usual. The audience was 65/35 male (it's typically closer to 85/15 or 90/10) and the median age was 44 years old as opposed to some weeks when it's as high as 57 years old and usually hovers around 52 years old.

I'm still convinced that show ratings for anything with this small an audience (where seemingly the actions of a Nielsen panelist or two could make a big swing) are random...but the point about Okada, as opposed to the other NJPW talent, is hard to ignore. The 3 of the 5 highest-audience ROH showings on DA have all had 1 common thread in the Main Event and it's Okada.

6/25 at 8pm 185,000 (AJ & the Bucks vs. Okada & RPG Vice), which also did 145,000 at 11pm that night.
9/23 at 11pm 168,000 (Briscoes & Goto vs. Okada & RPG VIce)
10/7 at 11pm 175,000 (Okada vs. Strong)

Other NJPW Main Eventers (including Tanahashi and Nakamura) have not had as strong a showing. May be random, maybe not. In any event, I was glad the episode this week did well because the look of the show was such that if it were your first time viewing it, I thought it gave the promotion a more major-league feel.
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

I´m curious of the ROH numbers if they have TNA slot, promotion from the network and time.
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

Cole´s promo here is GREAT
Leo C

Post by Leo C »

187_Joeism wrote:

That was really an awesome promo. This story started iffy but I think we all expect it to get better down the line and this is just the beginning.
Thelone

Post by Thelone »

This taping looks so old already. I don't get why Lethal couldn't just beat Watanabe clean since he was on his way out and never treated like a big deal anyway, but fuck trying to make your world champion credible I suppose.
http://thelone.be/ => My site, which means a bunch of random stuff really.
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

Elgin coming out during the Kingdom/reDRagon segment this week was actually pretty badass.
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

187_Joeism wrote:

I think Cole's promo there might be the best wrestling promo I've seen this year.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

Burnside wrote:
187_Joeism wrote:

I think Cole's promo there might be the best wrestling promo I've seen this year.
I concur. Cole was fucking brilliant.
IchaelMelgin

Post by IchaelMelgin »

First great ROH episode in what felt like a while. The Kingdom promo was pretty fun and I can look past the shitty turn if Elgin keeps doing stuff like that. The main event match was a blast, good aftermath, actually enjoyed the Corino bit and was that him walking away from commentary duties? Couldn't have dreamt a better scenario if so
lariat_tubman

Post by lariat_tubman »

IchaelMelgin wrote:First great ROH episode in what felt like a while. The Kingdom promo was pretty fun and I can look past the shitty turn if Elgin keeps doing stuff like that. The main event match was a blast, good aftermath, actually enjoyed the Corino bit and was that him walking away from commentary duties? Couldn't have dreamt a better scenario if so
I thought the main event was notable for how much it accomplished

- it elevated Paige
- planted the seeds for the death of the decade (finally)
- possibly planted the seeds for a Paige face turn
- acted as an official set up for Whitmer/Corino at Final Battle

and in general it was just an entertaining match
JTCole

Post by JTCole »

Did O'Reilly really need to go all homophobic at the end of the latest episode?
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

Are there any babyface wrestlers who seem like bigger douchebags than the All Night Express? That ring entrance...
The Dragon Saga

Post by The Dragon Saga »

So looking at the upcoming schedule, they have four weeks of TV in the can, but they have a TV taping in Nashville coming up and two weeks later another TV taping in Philly and then three weeks later another TV taping in Charlotte. That's a lot of TV!
jordidebaas

Post by jordidebaas »

The Philly taping is actually four weeks after Nashville, and when the Nashville tapings happen, they'll only have an episode for that weekend and the next one left, so it's not that much really.
I was in the front line when we battled page 15
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

The October 28th edition of Ring of Honor Wrestling on Destination America drew 227,000 viewers.

The viewership is up from last week’s show which drew 132,000 viewers.

ROH Pittsburgh Fan ‏@ROHPittFan
Congrats to @ringofhonor for by far its best viewership on @DestAmerica: 227k viewers & 0.6

Effectively tied TNA's rating: 266k & 0.6
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

They tied TNA with almost no promotion from Destination America and a worst TV schedule, it´s a great thing to accomplish i think.